Ashes I - 2013 - In England

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I just got through saying to my old man that the first two games were a bit of a 'not decided by the cricket they played coin toss' and it's true. Under different circumstances the first test could have gone either way. The second well.. That's a harder story to argue.. But a few mental issues and non cricketing issues crept in there while England just plugged away.

Not getting my hopes up as this will more than likely be a draw but I would hope that our quicks/Lyon can get something out of this pitch.
I don't think that's true. England barely made 200 in the first test and the mental issues Australia showed in the 2nd meant England would have won either way in my view. Australia may have stood a better chance of winning the first but who knows if Agar would have repeated his heroics in the first day.

This pitch at Old Trafford could be one of those that could be described in the way you are but even then I think Aus with their quicker bowlers may do better either way.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Yeah the Aussies were appalling second test. First test could have gone either way but ludicrous to argue a different coin toss would have altered the second.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Yeah the Aussies were appalling second test. First test could have gone either way but ludicrous to argue a different coin toss would have altered the second.
I think you missed the point. I just meant that the first test was basically a roll of the dice in the end. The poor umpiring and the fight back and runs that shouldn't have been, wickets that shouldn't have been for both sides played a huge part in making that game literally a 'coin toss... you win' type of a game.

Which I stated really anyway that it was harder to argue that the second test was clearly thrown away on the back of some poor batting and mediocre bowling :lol:. I only lumped it in with my original point in that if Aus had have won the first test the second would have been completely different (der). I think in any case Aus just don't have the 'foot on the throat' dominant streak that they once had. Whenever they have tussled in an arm wrestle and won the opposition has come back twice as hard. It's something that is hard to learn when you don't have the ultimate in mentally tough cricketers to grind and grind and grind.

We're seeing it with England here whenever Aus get some form of grip on trying to put England to ground they wrestle back and stay upright.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
good stuff from Australia on day one. Is rain still forecasted for a few days of this test, or are we actually likely to see some sort of result from the game?

NinjaFletch

I think this will be a draw, anyway. The way Australia have been scoring their runs has been solid and virtually chanceless. I expect England will be rubbing their hands with glee waiting to bat on this.

Saying that, Australia have so far got runs on the board and it's England's job to go out and do that as well. England's batsmen are prone to the bouts of brainlessness that can get you out on this pitch.

Lyons will be assisted by the pitch in the 4th innings though, so if Australia can set England a competitive chase you'd fancy it to be difficult.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Weird, it's about 10 minutes down the road from me and it looks quite nice out of my window.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This will be a good phase of cricket.

Sylar

Holy fck, what sort of a review was that. Most blatant hit by Warner and he reviewed it. What a waste.

NinjaFletch

I'm glad he reviewed it, playing up to his pantomine baddy reputation.

Great drama.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It actually wasn't Warner's fault, it was Clarke's. Clarke should've told him to not review it.

Sylar

Clarke trusts his players too much. He said before, with reviews, he goes on his players word rather than just making the decision. You could hear a clear sound, and show the deviation of the ball to flick Prior. I still think he should know he hit the ball even though he smashed his own pad with the bat.

RORY65

Clarke should take some responsibility because he should have known but he should be able to rely on his players to tell the truth, Warner is the one who hit the ball and yet he's told his captain that he thinks he's not out.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I still think he should know he hit the ball even though he smashed his own pad with the bat.
He clearly didn't think he edged, hes not going to waste a review for the hell of it. Clarke on the other hand should have sent him on his way.

NinjaFletch

I'm not being funny, but you've got 3 seamers.

One has got figures of 0-104, another 0-86, and one has 1-80 meanwhile your spinner has got 4 wickets.

SURELY you have to give Root some overs (or have played Panesar seeing as you asked for a slow, spinning track and OT has a reputation for turn...)

Oggmonster

Smith you fecking muppet!

What was up with the Warner review?

He clearly knicked it and then was adamant he wasn't, in fairness he hit his bad with the bat at the same time so might not of realised he'd hit the ball but Clarke really should of seen it, it was obvious contact.

TheGame

I'm not being funny, but you've got 3 seamers.

One has got figures of 0-104, another 0-86, and one has 1-80 meanwhile your spinner has got 4 wickets.

SURELY you have to give Root some overs (or have played Panesar seeing as you asked for a slow, spinning track and OT has a reputation for turn...)
I agree, especially as Root made such a difference in the last test.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So finally Clarke's class finds some form; quite majestic at times. I think he should declare as soon as he gets 200 or before if he gets out. Then a couple of quick wickets and England feel some pressure.

NinjaFletch

So finally Clarke's class finds some form; quite majestic at times. I think he should declare as soon as he gets 200 or before if he gets out. Then a couple of quick wickets and England feel some pressure.
I doubt it, surely Aus will only want to bat once. Bat England into the ground and then try and force a result and an innings victory I would imagine.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
yeah, Australia will try to get close to 550 if they can before they declare.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not really too keen on England's bowling plans this test, the pitch has good carry and Clarke didn't like short stuff up at Lord's. Also why has Root only bowled 2 overs, surely now with the field so spread you might as well throw him on.

NinjaFletch

Not really too keen on England's bowling plans this test, the pitch has good carry and Clarke didn't like short stuff up at Lord's. Also why has Root only bowled 2 overs, surely now with the field so spread you might as well throw him on.
I was just about to agree with you and absoloutely lay into Cook but then Broad goes and gets one.

NinjaFletch

Alistair Cook is a rubbish captain.

I get that he's a senior member of the squad and our best batsman but he has, seemingly, zero cricket nous whatsoever.

Everything is done to (presumably) Flower's rigid plan, there is no improvisation, no unorthodoxy, no flair, no brains.

The field he sets are unimaginative and dour, and he sticks to plan A (rotate seamers from both ends, introduce Swann, rotate seamers from the other end) regardless of the match situation, the state of the pitch or the urgency of the game.

He has done nothing today to prevent Australia's accumulation of runs, you can't always rely on your bowlers to bail you out as captain.

Right now we're sitting and watching a test number 9 accumulate a 50 with relatively little pressure, Cook is playing for a draw on day 2.

Awful.

And surprise, surprise, Root gets bought on after tea clearly after Cook had a chat with someone else in the management.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Don't rate Cook as a captain either but there is no one else. Prior is the vice captain and I don't see him as a leader either.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
McCullum's my favourite captain right now. Always trying something different, is active in the field and generally is very positive. I think AB is similar and Clarke too can be aggressive. Cook is a 'boring' captain, always playing safe and going the tried and trusted path rather than looking to change the game in his favour by being aggressive.

Unless Lyon bowls extremely well, I reckon this ends in a draw. The Aussie lower-order might as well open for them the way they've batted this series, so many runs!

NinjaFletch

Don't rate Cook as a captain either but there is no one else. Prior is the vice captain and I don't see him as a leader either.

No I understand that.

You've got Bell as the other senior man, thats not going to happen, neither is Trott. Pietersen has had his chance and Bairstow, Root are too young. Of the bowlers, Broad's probably the best choice but I think its very generous to give him it and neither Anderson or Swann would set the right tone. Prior would make a decent fist of it, but thats about it.

I think we're all aware that Cook is captain and will be until Root takes over, hopefully Cook can learn on the job because his captaincy so far has left a lot to be desired.