Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

darioterios

Mods, delete if thread has already existed. But I haven't found a thread for his performances this season here?

US Tour '15: United 3-1 Barca

darioterios

seems like a good partnership with Shaw down the left hand. him or Memphis to be first choice come the start of the competitive season?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His final ball and creativity has looked better this pre season, while keeping the good overall play he had last season for the most part. Some still don't like him and he's not seen as a starting 11 player but I think he'll be starting the season as a starter simply because more often then not, he plays better then plenty of our other players on the pitch. So it doesn't matter if he's not as talented as some others, as long as he performs well, he'll be starting games I think.

Sell or keep for left back depth.
Why would we sell him when he's one of our best performing players on a consistent basis? Because 2-3 years ago he was a frustrating player to watch? Come on.

RooneyLegend

His final ball and creativity has looked better this pre season, while keeping the good overall play he had last season for the most part. Some still don't like him and he's not seen as a starting 11 player but I think he'll be starting the season as a starter simply because more often then not, he plays better then plenty of our other players on the pitch. So it doesn't matter if he's not as talented as some others, as long as he performs well, he'll be starting games I think.

Why would we sell him when he's one of our best performing players on a consistent basis? Because 2-3 years ago he was a frustrating player to watch? Come on.
Cause we're the sort of club that aims for a standard that the likes of Young just can't contribute too. Plus we have youngsters who can give us whatever it is he's meant to be giving us.

bosnian_red

Cause we're the sort of club that aims for a standard that the likes of Young just can't contribute too. Plus we have youngsters who can give us whatever it is he's meant to be giving us.
Why would you sell him though? Even if we should look for better for the starting 11, surely he's done more then enough to show he's a very useful player to have in the squad? You can't just have a starting 11 and then youngsters making up the squad, it's basically what Arsenal have done for the past 10 years and why they've failed to do anything for the past 10 years.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's quiet, consistent and provides a good final ball. No reason why people still need to think of him as a pariah. To his credit, he has pulled himself out after a rather god awful season with Moyes.

RooneyLegend

Why would you sell him though? Even if we should look for better for the starting 11, surely he's done more then enough to show he's a very useful player to have in the squad? You can't just have a starting 11 and then youngsters making up the squad, it's basically what Arsenal have done for the past 10 years and why they've failed to do anything for the past 10 years.
Arsenal's first 11 has been riddled with holes throughout all the years hence they've failed. Their really talented youngsters have been an aid rather than a reason for their failures. I'd rather see Lingard get the game time rather than young.

Devil may care

His main contribution was a nice slide pass into Shaw's overlapping run, other than that offered no creative spark at all.

bosnian_red

Didn't expect him to be subbed off. Not sure if he'll start vs Spurs now as Van Gaal probably wasn't too happy. Or maybe he just wanted to give Pereira a half. Who knows.

kundalini

Poor tour overall for Young. Nowhere near his standard of performance on last year's tour. Best you could say is that he linked well with Shaw in some games but even then the end product hasn't quite been there. Will be lucky if he starts the Spurs game, given the extent to which Pereira out-performed him.

Against PSG Young was both negative and sloppy in his passing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His main contribution was a nice slide pass into Shaw's overlapping run, other than that offered no creative spark at all.
That's Young and that's why he should never be a starter for United. LVG seems to like him for his work rate but that should never be the main reason to play a winger.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
he was pretty quiet. didn't do anything terrible, but didn't really provide much either. pereira was certainly an upgrade.

wonder if there could be any truth to the rumours that united are willing to sell him this summer?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
As much as Young looked good last season his goal scoring and assists ratio have not been good. We really need a player who's going to contribute a lot more goals to his game.

He's not a first teamer for us but he provides good depth and is exactly the sort of character we want around the squad. Di Maria should take note.

prath92

Selling him is stupid. He really wasn't any worse than Willian at Chelsea last season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not saying that I want us to sell him, but there is definitely logic on selling players when they are doing well. It is something that Chelsea has been doing these last few years on the likes of Mata, David Luiz and co. On the other side, United has been doing the very opposite things, keeping players until they become completely useless for us and then selling them for peanuts (like we did with Nani).

If we think that Young isn't an integral part of the team and we can upgrade that position then I guess that right now we could get some good money for him, but if we wait one another year or two, then we won't get nothing for him. Same can be said for Fellaini who als had a quite good season for us.

Nevermind, I am not saying that we should (or should not) sell him. Just that there is some good logic on selling players on the high if we think that we can do better in their position.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Selling him is stupid. He really wasn't any worse than Willian at Chelsea last season.
I thought Willian was much more productive going forward that Young. Young had a really good season because he did so much good work helping with defence but going forward he was awful. Very very few of his crosses ever find a player and that for a wide attacking player is basically their most important job. Find your own players with the ball.

prath92

I thought Willian was much more productive going forward that Young. Young had a really good season because he did so much good work helping with defence but going forward he was awful. Very very few of his crosses ever find a player and that for a wide attacking player is basically their most important job. Find your own players with the ball.
I think Willian was preferred specifically for his ability to help in defence. Plus young was good attacking wise in most games he played in the wings (as opposed to wingback)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think Willian was preferred specifically for his ability to help in defence. Plus young was good attacking wise in most games he played in the wings (as opposed to wingback)
I dont think Young was any good at all going forward as a winger. He had a couple of assists and goals but apart from that the vast majority of his crosses were simply wasted. He played well with respect to his defensive work and I do wonder if that blinded people to just how awful his delivery into the box has been.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Willian was less productive than Ashley Young, not the other way round despite Willian playing a lot more and the fact that Young played lots of games at LB. Not sure why people pretend he was only there for his defensive work when he was our best player going forward in a lot of the games towards the end of the season. He's a better player than Willian.

prath92

I dont think Young was any good at all going forward as a winger. He had a couple of assists and goals but apart from that the vast majority of his crosses were simply wasted. He played well with respect to his defensive work and I do wonder if that blinded people to just how awful his delivery into the box has been.
A lot of crosses were missed by the likes of rvp and falcao. He was our source of attack for a lot of games( like the crystal palace game for instance)

facund

Young upped the consistency of his crossing last season, he regularly delivered the ball in to good areas with little to no reward. The fact that we had so little threat or intent from the strikers and that our build up was so slow meant that he was often crossing in to a box flooded with an organised and comfortable defence. This is only ever going to have poor returns but is clearly what he was tasked to do.

Young isn't perfect, he generally struggles to deliver crosses that specifically pick out a man in a free form situation but he did prove last season that he can whip a ball in to a dangerous area that you would typically expect a forward to be attacking. The forwards job should be to learn these patterns and anticipate the situation accordingly, alas not one of them seemed to this. I think Hernandez would enjoy playing with Young as he (Young) rarely surprises with what and how he delivers and yet still somehow manages to engineer the opportunity to do so.

For all his faults (and I am by no means a big fan of him) Young was the primary attacking outlet in the final third of the pitch for large swathes of last season despite the supposed superior quality and technique of those around him. In theory he should only be a back up player but was rightly one of the first names on the teamsheet last season based on application and performance.

Obiorahking_

Ok so he's alright but he's never gonna win us a match late on or help us against teams of City's quality.
Are you being sarcastic? If not,this is the dumbest comment I have ever read. Are you serious right now? It is really funny reading your comment because Ashley young has won us a late game and was MOTM against City last season. Common now.

Last edited:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
He was a threat there in that first half, some things went his way like the assist, some things didn't but at least he's given the Spurs defenders something to think about anyways. Himself and Memphis appear to be developing an understanding too.

Bojan11

Our attack seems to come through him and that's why we don't create anything.

Scrumpet

There are no words
All been said before but it really is impressive how he's turned things around. You don't have to worry about what he'll give you anymore and there was a time when he wouldn't dare take his man on.

NinjaFletch

Very Ashley Young performance, looked threatening, gave us width. Stuffed up the final ball.

Cina

All been said before but it really is impressive how he's turned things around. You don't have to worry about what he'll give you anymore and there was a time when he wouldn't dare take his man on.
I thought he gave pretty much nothing today, though. His delivery was dire. There was a solid 5 minute patch where Bastian kept passing him the ball in lots of space and he either ran into Walker, kicked the ball at Walker or over/under hit his cross.

He's not good enough to be a Man Utd winger.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I thought he gave pretty much nothing today, though. His delivery was dire. There was a solid 5 minute patch where Bastian kept passing him the ball in lots of space and he either ran into Walker, kicked the ball at Walker or over/under hit his cross.

Pretty much. I actually don't understand why we extended his contract. Get Pedro in asap.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

Precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.