g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ashley Young image 18

Ashley Young England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was playing as a winger. In possession United basically played 3-6-1. Even when Swansea had a throw-in in the final third on the opposite side he was high up the pitch. He definitely wasn't playing as a full back today. The tactics were why he had so much space. Herrera and Mata were constantly moving which always resulted in Young having a landing strip on the right.

Good game from him today.
Yeah he was- today. But this season he barely played on the wing, what I find totally unfair and simply stupid from van Gaal, especially considering how poor Memphis has been.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had a great game but too often he has 3 poor games after a great one. Hope he shows some consistency

SteveW

Credit where it's due. The guy has heart and gives everything for the shirt. He could easily have wilted when everyone was against him but he's come through it and won a lot of people over. He's never found wanting for effort. Brilliant game today.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've no idea what position he's supposed to be playing but he's been brilliant
LVG deserves credit for creating that role for him. Allowed Mata to wander inside so creating space for Young to attack.

One of my fav players in this depressing season.

VanGaalEra

Excellent performance. I don't think his crossing has ever been too bad, it's how static our movement is which makes it looks much worse.

There was movement in the box today and lo and behold, his crosses were finding the target.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Fantastic performance. I have said for years, put him on the right as an old school winger. Yes on the left he can cut in and put in a dangerous cross but having a right footed winger on the right gives us so much more go forward.

Pleasing to see him turn his form around from a few years ago.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yeah he was- today. But this season he barely played on the wing, what I find totally unfair and simply stupid from van Gaal, especially considering how poor Memphis has been.
It's not that unfair. He likes to play with inside forwards now and Young hasn't exactly done much this season in the final third. His crossing has generally hasn't been very good this season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Credit where it's due. The guy has heart and gives everything for the shirt. He could easily have wilted when everyone was against him but he's come through it and won a lot of people over. He's never found wanting for effort. Brilliant game today.
Absolutely, the spirit of him is magnificent. Bar the one bad season with Moyes he's been consistently good in our best performances.

ZDwyr

Played very well, love the fact that he actually looks like he cares on the pitch too. Should never have lost his spot to Depay at the start of the season. Was pathetic management by LvG.

Spock

Fantastic performance. I have said for years, put him on the right as an old school winger. Yes on the left he can cut in and put in a dangerous cross but having a right footed winger on the right gives us so much more go forward.

Pleasing to see him turn his form around from a few years ago.
Completely agree. I've always felt he was wasted on the left. Ashley had a powerful shot at one time but that's gone from his game now.

Varun

Staff
It's not that unfair. He likes to play with inside forwards now and Young hasn't exactly done much this season in the final third. His crossing has generally hasn't been very good this season.
Young is a better left winger / inside forward than Memphis atm.

Acole9

Outstanding
The crosses he was putting into the box were superb, the best I've seen in a while from a United player.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
:lol:

This silly argument again.

You must think that Rooney is our best attacker then this season seeing as he has the most goals.

As one speaker once put it, statistics are like mini skirts, they dont show everything.

Your stats dont account for the fact
- Young spent a significant part of the season in defensive positions (both LWB and LB) and was brought on to LW only once Van Gaal realized how poor Di Maria was playing and benched.

- That Di Maria's stats are heavily lumped towards the earlier part of the season, while Young stood out to be counted in the run in under pressure, permantly benching ADM in the process

- that Young's addition added more to the team, allowing it to perform better than the sum of its parts, especially with the triangle formation with Blind and Fellaini. Whereas Di Maria made us worse, by hardly contributing when it mattered, and rather became an outlet for the opposition to regain position

This requires a bit of common sense too.Not just throwing meaningless stats without context.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Surely people are starting to realise his value. An essential squad player at his best. That moment where he slid the ball past the jumping fullback was vintage Ashley, reminded me of his Villa days.

dcullivanio

he started the game really well. His crosses are dangerous from that right hand side and he does have to check back like he does when he's on the left. That said, he's not a fullback. He can do an admirable imitation at times but he's just not a fullback. That's not his fault it's just LVG thinking he's hot shit by playing everyone in the wrong area of the pitch.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Is he Scwheinsteigered now that he's played as a RB for like 6 games in a row? Would be interesting if he became top 3 in the world in that position.
He didn't play in the FA cup and I don't know why you're even considering him becoming a top RB.

Zoo

Feck. I hope we're still looking for another leftback.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is he Scwheinsteigered now that he's played as a RB for like 6 games in a row? Would be interesting if he became top 3 in the world in that position.
This dodgy post has only gone and jinxed him

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Dammit, Young was not only a surprisingly competent defender he was one of the few people offering some pace in our attacks. On one hand this could mean Januzaj has a better chance of getting some game time, but still this is a bit gutting.

El Zoido

It's a shame for him and us, he's developed in to quite a reliable player. Valencia must be nearing a return by now though?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We seriously can't get any luck can we. Young has done a great job of filling in the gaps, and we are going to badly miss his energy and enthusiasm. This put's huge pressure on Varela and CBJ for the rest of the season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Just when I thought Adnan coming in would give us more optioms, Young gets injured. No surprise though, he had been playing like a mad man for a while now and I'm surprised LvG hadn't shut him down for a few games citing him being in the red zone.

Ryan7

Never thought I'd be saying this about Ashley Young but, I'm gutted. Big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.