g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ashley Young image 18

Ashley Young England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Dont understand all the stick he gets here. Walker is no pushover and i think Young did pretty well today. Got himself into good positions and delivered an assist and a very decent effort

I expect Memphis to make the LW position his, but um glad we have Young as a backup

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He did have a hugely improved season last year and was okay today, more of the same, but his end product is shocking. The amount of time he gets the ball in good positions yet never picks someone out with a cross is a bit ridiculous. Definitely something we need to improve on (pedro hopefully, or Memphis on the left) if we want to score more goals.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Thought he did pretty well, gave 100% and set up the goal I believe, can't expect the world from him, afterall he's no Neymar. :angel:
I'm glad, if he gives us another year like last I'd be more than happy.

quethenoo

I thought he was one of our better players today, put in a good shift and created a couple of chances going forward. I really dont think we can expect a hell of a lot more from him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think that's part of our problem. We attack (in terms of getting to the byline, getting in behind or cutting in across) an awful lot down youngs side. An awful lot and there is not enough productivity. We saw him today assisting and he probably should have scored but he doesn't have 'IT'. That position you have to have quality week in week out and we don't get that week in week out. So yes he played well, but that don't matter. In that position, you have to play GREAT...He's the Hazard of the team or the Silva. Not enough quality.

Not his fault but it's an important role when you have Mata on the other wing. We need better penetration and someone like Pedro would have probably caused them real problems because he's very quick

Tompo

He's weak, mentally and physically, I would have him train in a boxing ring, with 4 oz gloves and have him literally fight for his place. It might toughen him up.

quethenoo

Honestly reading back through this thread makes my mind boggle...he created more than anyone else in our team. Set up the goal, good cutback for Memphis, won a couple of fouls in dangerous areas. Given the nature of the game (i.e. tight as a gnats chuff), i dont see anyone else on the pitch who created a great deal more. Im not saying young is the bees knees or anything but I dont get the criticism today.

p.s. worked his arse off as well

justboy68

He gets afforded a lot of space out on the wing so it's a shame he can't make better use of it with his crossing on a consistent basis. Most of the time his end product is severely lacking. He doesn't shy away though and does a good job of getting involved as well as doing a solid job tracking defensively. If we want to go places though he needs to be a rotation player rather than a starter. Over the course of a season I expect the stats will show once again that he hasn't been productive enough. Decent job today though, his average kind of game I thought.

Born2Lose

Big Mata fan, but Young was much better than him today. The big problem is the front three, they created very little and there doesn't seem to be any communication between them at all.

Ixion

Crap offensively. About 10 of our attacks broke down because of his end product, the goal he set up he literally couldn't not make the pass. I really hope we sign Pedro.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Finds himself in some fantastic positions but his final ball is so frustrating at times. Maybe I expect too much but he needs to better for me.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only reason he gets game time is because he understands the system in terms of premier league games. He does the exact same thing every game and it just works with the dynamics of the rest of the team. I would much prefer if Herrera replaced him in the starting 11 with depay taking his spot but I feel that would mess up the balance of our team.

DarkXaero

Big Mata fan, but Young was much better than him today. The big problem is the front three, they created very little and there doesn't seem to be any communication between them at all.
No, he wasn't. Young got owned by Walker throughout the match.

Sam

Squad player, works hard but flatters to deceive, and doesn't put up the numbers.

Wouldn't start for any of our rivals, and we need to upgrade him ASAP.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Squad player, works hard but flatters to deceive, and doesn't put up the numbers.

Wouldn't start for any of our rivals, and we need to upgrade him ASAP.
I think he's done very, very well to deceive the club into handing him a new contract. Played out of his arse last year, although he didn't create much, and is now settled for a few more years. Quicker we replace him, the better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought Walker played him very well today, which was more down to him and not Young underperforming. He marked him very tightly and prevented him from crossing on most attempts.

santeria13

Sublemon
Our best attacker by some distance today. Wasn't he responsible for pretty much every shot at goal(on target) along with the assist for the goal? Can't understand how he is getting any stick considering the performances of Rooney, Memphis and Mata all of whom are more highly rated and just as if not more disappointing. He didn't play well by any means but those bashing him for his performance today are speaking bollocks. People say there is a biased hate towards Rooney but if young was putting in the performances he has recently then I don't even want to think about the hate he would get on here. Unbelievable.

Sam

I think he's done very, very well to deceive the club into handing him a new contract. Played out of his arse last year, although he didn't create much, and is now settled for a few more years. Quicker we replace him, the better.
Played out of his arse last year and managed a grand total of 2 goals and 5 assists. Thats not good enough, unless your happy to just stay where we are and fight for 4th every season?

He's a squad player. No more, no less. And yes, he needs replacing in the first team if we're to get back to the top. Nothing wrong with having him in the squad, or giving him a new contract though.

Di Maria's angel

Played out of his arse last year and managed a grand total of 2 goals and 5 assists. Thats not good enough, unless your happy to just stay where we are and fight for 4th every season?

He's a squad player. No more, no less. And yes, he needs replacing in the first team if we're to get back to the top. Nothing wrong with having him in the squad, or giving him a new contract though.
Oh, I agree. I didn't rate his performances much, last season. However, the general consensus was that he played well, which isn't too far off the mark. He was half decent last season, as a LWB, not great on the wing bar the Spurs and City games.

As you say, squad player at the most. Although, I would much rather see more quality on the bench; got a sh*t feeling, at half time, when I saw who we had on the bench, in terms of attacking players.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Played pretty well. Him and Walker had a good battle - one which wWalker admittedly got the better of. A couple of times he nearly got round him with a nice trick and Walker recovered and stopped him. Sometimes you've gotta give credit to the opposition without faulting you're own player much

Di Maria's angel

Played pretty well. Him and Walker had a good battle - one which wWalker admittedly got the better of. A couple of times he nearly got round him with a nice trick and Walker recovered and stopped him. Sometimes you've gotta give credit to the opposition without faulting you're own player much
Not when the player has performed similarly in most of his United career.

El Zoido

He's just so uninspiring. We pass to him on the left, he takes one man on then crosses in to the box. Randomly. Every time. He never plays it toward anyone, he never sees a runner and plays to him. He stares at the grass and hopes for the best.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Not when the player has performed similarly in most of his United career.
I'm not saying he should be first choice, just that he put in a pretty good performance and came up against an even better performance by his opposing full back. Walker really needed to be on his game otherwise he'd have been roasted. Obviously I like most would much rather see Memphis on that wing.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im one of Youngs biggest critics. I absolutely hate how he slows up every attack on the left he is involved in because he is trying to get the ball on to his right foot. Defenders know he cant cross with his left and they approach him with their body shape set up to keep him on his left. Everything just slows up because of this and we never get quick ball delivered in from the left. When he does deliver a cross 90% of the time its rubbish and never finds a team mate.
However he has good qualities, his positioning is good, he works really hard at providing cover for his fullback and does some really good defensive work. He may not be super quick but he is good with the ball at his feet.

So why the feck dont we ever play him on the right???

Maybe if he was allowed to play where he can make more effective use of his natural kicking foot then we would see better crosses coming in for our attacking players. I am sure his positioning and defensive work on the right would be just as good as it is on the left. The own goal Spurs scored on sat came from a perfectly weighted ball to Rooney from Young out wide on the right.

I still dont get why he never gets used on the right, surely he would be more effective there?

Bwuk

Im one of Youngs biggest critics. I absolutely hate how he slows up every attack on the left he is involved in because he is trying to get the ball on to his right foot. Defenders know he cant cross with his left and they approach him with their body shape set up to keep him on his left. Everything just slows up because of this and we never get quick ball delivered in from the left. When he does deliver a cross 90% of the time its rubbish and never finds a team mate.
However he has good qualities, his positioning is good, he works really hard at providing cover for his fullback and does some really good defensive work. He may not be super quick but he is good with the ball at his feet.

So why the feck dont we ever play him on the right???

Maybe if he was allowed to play where he can make more effective use of his natural kicking foot then we would see better crosses coming in for our attacking players. I am sure his positioning and defensive work on the right would be just as good as it is on the left. The own goal Spurs scored on sat came from a perfectly weighted ball to Rooney from Young out wide on the right.

I still dont get why he never gets used on the right, surely he would be more effective there?
Whenever he's played there for us he's been even worse.

Young is good against a full back he's quicker than. Walker he isn't, and walker just bullied him.

He's just so bang average. Wants to cut inside and whip it in on his right, but his crosses in general are aimless.

When we signed him we were one of the best sides in Europe. How on earth did he ever end up
Here?

Eugenius

Everyone's talking about Young's numbers but didn't he put a goal on the plate for Rooney? Young's not the top quality attacker we need but he does contribute much to our attacks than Mata for example, yet no one is queuing up to talk about Mata's lack of assists.

Sam

Everyone's talking about Young's numbers but didn't he put a goal on the plate for Rooney? Young's not the top quality attacker we need but he does contribute much to our attacks than Mata for example, yet no one is queuing up to talk about Mata's lack of assists.
Theres been plenty of talk about Mata's lack of creativity.

Robbie Boy

Average player that has become massively overrated by a small contingent on here. He's become one of those players that if you dare to criticise, the holier than thou brigade come out. Yes, he was one of our best players last season but that was in a thoroughly underwhelming season. He's a good squad player and I have no problem with him being one. He shouldn't be a starter though, and I don't agree with the three year contract.

I thought he was pretty poor today. As an attacking outlet he offered next to nothing. People fail to understand that this guy has been given an attacking role and yet, his numbers are so poor considering what he's out there to do. He's a hard worker and always gives his all but he's such an average player.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
You see them boys waiting to gave a go at him come out of their shells. What has happened in this thread? Reminds me of the previous Smalling thread. One poor match and loads come to bash them. He's been our best attacking player since Arsenal in the FA Cup.

RedStarUnited

We do so well to get him one and one Vs his RB and he just doesn't do enough. He is playing at his level, its just not good enough for us.

When Depay put him in, id expect a Pedro to slot that away. Young took a touch wide to try and cross for some reason.

United again!

He wasn't great, didn't get much support from his fullback. Found myself saying "why are you in the corner on the ball with your man and there is nobody within 30 yards of you?.." Bummer he won't get an assist for the goal. Was a nice ball, I'd much prefer him on the right getting the ball wide, turning and driving in. Not playing an inverted winger role when he clearly has the only telegraphed option of feinting at the byline and turning back for a low percentage right footed inswinging cross. He needs to get into position to use that patented Ashley "L1+O" Young curler.

Robbie Boy

You see them boys waiting to gave a go at him come out of their shells. What has happened in this thread? Reminds me of the previous Smalling thread. One poor match and loads come to bash them. He's been our best attacking player since Arsenal in the FA Cup.
Don't be so precious. Have a look at pretty much all our player threads after today and it's a similar trend. Most of the 'critsism' in here is constructive. People have been saying we need an upgrade for a long time now; don't fool yourself and think it's only after today. Is there really any harsh unwarranted criticism in here? I confess I haven't read every post.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Don't be so precious. Have a look at pretty much all our player threads after today and it's a similar trend. Most of the 'critsism' in here is constructive. People have been saying we need an upgrade for a long time now; don't fool yourself and think it's only after today. Is there really any harsh unwarranted criticism in here? I confess I haven't read every post.
Young is certainly no world beater, but he isnt below average either. I agree we should do better, but I myself remember the games where all of our players could do feck all and Young was the only one beating his men, creating chances, putting in some shift, linking with the FB on a consistent basis. He is a good player, maybe a squad player idealistically but he isnt awful, and the criticism above is undeserved. Nor has he been bad for us consecutively to portray this criticism as grounded.

Eugenius

Has lost the ability to beat a man
Walker is extremely quick and strong. Hard to beat, it's not surprising, and we didn't work any overload situations to compensate.

I'm confused about the train of comments after the match. It's obvious that we need someone to upgrade on Young. But the only times we vaguely looked like scoring all came through Young. And the only decent ball in the final third was by Young and resulted in the og.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have been having a go at him for years but do think he deserves a decent run of games on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.