Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Young is certainly no world beater, but he isnt below average either. I agree we should do better, but I myself remember the games where all of our players could do feck all and Young was the only one beating his men, creating chances, putting in some shift, linking with the FB on a consistent basis. He is a good player, maybe a squad player idealistically but he isnt awful, and the criticism above is undeserved. Nor has he been bad for us consecutively to portray this criticism as grounded.
As I said, I haven't read all the post in here. The ones I've skinned over seem to be fine. I wouldn't say that people calling for a better standard of player would constitute as criticism. These are all concerns that have been raised even during Young' impressive run last season. He is clearly a good viable squad option but I, as many others do, feel we should be aiming for a higher standard of player. That's reality as opposed to criticism.

He wasn't woeful today, I mean maybe a 6/10 at best which is fine, but 'fine' isn't good enough. Look at the Mata thread and he is also being called out. Young isn't the whipping boy he used to be on here, the critisim these days is far more balanced and not OTT hysteria.

facund

Could have conceivably ended the match with 2 assists and a goal today.

I don't think anyone is claiming that he is someone we should build the side around, simply that he is performing at a level higher than most of those around him. Profligate, yes but he seems to be the only one currently capable of creating a chance even if it does take him 10 attempts. If he didn't make those crosses then in all likelihood the ball would have just been snailed around until we lost possession, as happened consistently throughout the match.

Walker did well against him today but Young kept trying to take him on and make something happen. I'm not sure anyone else on the team tried to beat a man. The fact that he appears to be our de-facto creative outlet is a grim indictment of those around him but until others step up he thoroughly deserves a spot in the team.

Young isn't the future, just currently the lesser evil in an awfully blunt attacking unit.

How in the world we came to a situation where we have just shipped Nani out for small change and ended up playing Young and Mata as wingers is beyond my level of comprehension.

Tarrou

Thought Kyle Walker played well. I'd have liked to have seen Memphis switch with Young and have a run at him when it was apparant Young couldn't beat him. We seem to be quite good at getting our wide players in plenty of space, but we're not making enough of that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Thought Kyle Walker played well. I'd have liked to have seen Memphis switch with Young and have a run at him when it was apparant Young couldn't beat him. We seem to be quite good at getting our wide players in plenty of space, but we're not making enough of that.
Yeah thought the same, Walker really got upto him and he tried to put the ball around him but couldn't beat him for pace either. Still felt like our most successful creative outlet would come from that wing. Luke Shaw did him no favors by not overlapping to give Walker something to think about.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not sure if LVG didn't want the fullbacks to get forward as Darmian didn't either.
Darmian got in some good spaces, his issue was Mata's lack of pace and ability to cover for him defensively to run ahead and overlap. Van Gaal loves his full backs to overlap, both Shaw and Darmian did that a lot on tour.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I like his threat on the left but his delivery is really poor.

United again!

Darmian got in some good spaces, his issue was Mata's lack of pace and ability to cover for him defensively to run ahead and overlap. Van Gaal loves his full backs to overlap, both Shaw and Darmian did that a lot on tour.
The issue is more that Mata gets the ball with his back to space and instantly looks to pass it back to somebody. If on the off chance he turns inside he is more there to open up play inside in the centre and it's usually a secondary ball going inside out down the right flank from someone playing inside.

This makes timings of the run or the intent to get forward virtually impossible, especially if you are making sure not to be caught out of position badly enough to get the hair dryer for Van Gaal. It's nobodies fault really, it is just how the team is setup. Mata rarely has the advantage of his man for long enough to allow Darmian to make a run 100% without leaving any of the right flank open.

foolsgold

Typical Young performance today, grafted hard, linked up well with Shaw. Not a world beater, but not everyone is going to be, even in a big team.

Varun

Staff
Without Fellaini, he will be even less useful. His forte is the floating ball far post. Be it heskey, carew or Fellaini, he needs a tall player there to be productive.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Sad state of affairs when that performance is considered "good" from a United winger these days.

You are useless as a wide player if you do not have an end product. Young doesn't have an end product.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sad state of affairs when that performance is considered "good" from a United winger these days.

You are useless as a wide player if you do not have an end product. Young doesn't have an end product.
Yes, except for delivering the ball which lead to our only goal.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's like literally people forgot where our only goal came from. Young wasn't tearing shit up, no, but still was one of our better players yesterday and would've had an assist (can you have it from an og?) if Rooney hadn't bottled it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Heh. Criticised for end product in game where he was only United player that actually produced any. Ashley brings out the inner retard in some caftards, it seems.

He also set Memphis up for a shot which was blocked by a defender very close to the line and forced Vorn into the only (I think?) save he made in the game.

So yeah, Young was pretty much single-handely responsible for all our end product on the day. Perfect time to criticise him for lacking it, right?

Varun

Staff
He needs to stop thinking he can beat a defender with his tricks. The sooner, he does that, the better for all of us.
Why would you want him to stop that? He's the only one that looks to take his man on.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He constantly keeps beating his man or finding himself in acres of space and then goes on to fluff his delivery. He doesn't nearly have a good end product to start regularly for Manchester United. Never knew that was up for debate.

So, yes, he doesn't have an end product of any quality. Even the worst players can find their man once in a while, it doesn't mean that they have a 'good end product'.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He constantly keeps beating his man or finding himself in acres of space and then goes on to fluff his delivery. He doesn't nearly have a good end product to start regularly for Manchester United. Never knew that was up for debate.

So, yes, he doesn't have an end product of any quality. Even the worse players can find a man once in a while, it doesn't mean that they have a 'good end product'.
Just because you don't think that way, doesn't it mean it's not up for debate. He proved last season that when he was benching our most expensive signing in history(on merit) that he's a worthy starter here. People here tend to look for reputations rather than actual performances, hence the reason why the likes of Fellaini and Young keep on being constantly under-rated whereas there's a constant clamouring to start Mata even though he's been no better than both of them ever since he has joined.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Just because you don't think that way, doesn't it mean it's not up for debate. He proved last season that when he was benching our most expensive signing in history(on merit) that he's a worthy starter here. People here tend to look for reputations rather than actual performances, hence the reason why the likes of Fellaini and Young keep on being constantly under-rated whereas there's a constant clamouring to start Mata even though he's been no better than both of them ever since he has joined.
I am not looking at reputations, I am looking at his performances. And I have never 'clamored' for Mata to start, so I don't know why you are accusing me of that. He kept the most expensive signing out as that signing was not up to the standards, not that he kept another performing player on the bench.

I have said it many times that he does a lot of things well. Right now he looks like the only player capable of beating his marker and getting in good positions, though his delivery is so atrocious that he constantly lets himself down. Do you think I am incorrect in my observation?

For some one who, at times, beats his marker with ease, his end product is nothing to write home about. Is that not a legitimate criticism?

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Walker is extremely quick and strong. Hard to beat, it's not surprising, and we didn't work any overload situations to compensate.

I'm confused about the train of comments after the match. It's obvious that we need someone to upgrade on Young. But the only times we vaguely looked like scoring all came through Young. And the only decent ball in the final third was by Young and resulted in the og.
Eugenuis under LVG we play our way methodically to the final 3rd. Get our wingers (Young) 1 on 1 and he can't beat a man. Now Young puts in a shift but we need better quality. Mata on the other side is the same we need better in that position but on the right a player more suited to the role than Mata. But in Youngs case on the left he is that type of player but just not good enough if we want to win things. Plus our wingers (wide forwards) need to be making diagonal runs but they don't and it causes us to be predictable and tumescent up top.

BW.k

Same old Young. Finding himself in space and wasting half of his crosses yet still our only player who created half decent chances which ultimately led to the goal. This has happened quite a few times(see Palace and Arsenal last season).

This probably underlines that its rest of the team that has problems creating chances instead of Young.

Varun

Staff
How many times did he he beat caulker 1 on 1 yesterday?
Walker's pace makes him a tough man to beat but he still created space with his dribbling and put balls in. Unfortunately, his delivery isn't good enough unless the team has a tall guy at the far post.

All our attackers play a conservative, pass it, game. I'm glad someome tries to create something even if he isn't very good at it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Walker's pace makes him a tough man to beat but he still created space with his dribbling and put balls in. Unfortunately, his delivery isn't good enough unless the team has a tall guy at the far post.

All our attackers play a conservative, pass it, game. I'm glad someome tries to create something even if he isn't very good at it.
Fairly sure his most recent assist (assuming yesterday doesn't count) was converted by Hererra, at knee height.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need to improve on our wide options, clearly.

But given our current options Young has to play, unless Depay can do better.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'd like to point out that people who post 0/6 succesful crosses ignore the fact that the simple fact is even for the leagues best, 75% of crosses won't find the man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...emier-League-crossers--best-worst-season.html

This is a link from a few years ago now, but illustrates the point well. West Ham had the best cross completion out of the whole league. At less than 25%. Gareth Bale who would go on to be player of the year had 12.5 success rate.

Crosses are hard. Soemtimes Ashley Young puts a good ball in and no-one is there. Sometimes there is literally not a cross on and he'll win us a corner.

dogwithabone

Young was average yesterday but in fairness to him there is never a lot of movement. Rooney nowadays is static and there is no obvious target. The one time a player, Depay, did pull cleverly into space Young found him with a great pass.

I'd like to have seen more of Schniederlin looking for the ball in the box. Seems a hell of a waste to me when you've got two big six footers in Carrick and Schniederlin yet the only outlet on the back stick is Mata.

Let's give Spurs Hernandez, Lingard, Januzaij for the season and the £45m Di Maria money and solve all our problems with Harry Kane.

Ixion

I'd like to point out that people who post 0/6 succesful crosses ignore the fact that the simple fact is even for the leagues best, 75% of crosses won't find the man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...emier-League-crossers--best-worst-season.html

This is a link from a few years ago now, but illustrates the point well. West Ham had the best cross completion out of the whole league. At less than 25%. Gareth Bale who would go on to be player of the year had 12.5 success rate.

Crosses are hard. Soemtimes Ashley Young puts a good ball in and no-one is there. Sometimes there is literally not a cross on and he'll win us a corner.
Right but Young has about 10 assists over the past 3 years. Compare those stats to the best wingers in the league over the same time.

Valencia used to win us corner after corner by smashing his crosses into the defenders legs but that wasn't a good thing. Young always has to come back on to his right foot which makes him predictable and slows our attacks down, we also don't have anyone in the box without Felliani who can take advantage of the crosses he delivers. Even his cross to Rooney yesterday, Rooney had literally the entire box to himself and should have been able to finish that chance first time but the cross was too close to his body and he had to take the touch.

People make so many excuses for Young because he's English and tries hard. If he was a £30-40 million foriegn signing he'd be getting ripped to shreds like Mata does. Young gets £120k a week and has been one of our highest paid players for the past 4 years, is it too much to expect him to match the output of the other top wingers around?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I cant understand why we're still playing him when we've got Memphis in the team. Jeez it reminds me of when SAF used to stick Fletcher on the flanks despite we having Ronaldo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His end product is very poor.
This, I like him as a player but he doesn't produce enough. He looks like he can get goals, and a bag of assists, but then he never does.

slir32

I agree. He is basically our main man to create goals from the wings problem is he produces no where near enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.