g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ashley Young image 18

Ashley Young England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
On current form, he is easily among the best full backs in the league

Acole9

Outstanding
At the start there was moments of frustration from the crowd with him but as the game went on he was certainly more positive than most of the attacking players in front of him. I like him at left back and the club should consider giving him a new deal.

Hercules

He never impressed me (except for that 8-2 vs Arsenal) but he does his stuff so efficiently, glad he was there today. Inserted a sense of urgency in our play and scored (helped) which may turn out to be our most imp 3 points to get us going.

Kudos to him, got a lot of stick but has the mentality to be our player. Not first choice but should stick around.

LJJT

I don’t know why he’s never really been accepted by most fans since he joined but he’s never really let us down, gives his all, been one of our better players since he returned to the team. Arguably our most potent attacking threat with his crosses

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
On a day when once again most of our players performances didn't get beyond average, Ashley turned in a display above average. IMO Ashley has never had the chance to play in his best position from the start of his career at United. SAF bought him to play down the middle giving pace through the centre, something we had lacked for years, but then when Young arrived, he only ever got in the team as a winger. The man deserves credit for hanging on in there, taking the knocks and the abuse (at times) and developing, or reinventing himself, from an occasional squad player, into a regular first XI choice.

MOTM today Ash, well done.:)

Ashley R1+O

Beast of a performance, pure heart and soul. Need more of that in this unit.

Jean claude van hire

At the start there was moments of frustration from the crowd with him but as the game went on he was certainly more positive than most of the attacking players in front of him. I like him at left back and the club should consider giving him a new deal.
Really? I thought he was our most attacking threat right from the off, surprised about the crowds reaction, but then again I wasn't there.

He never impressed me (except for that 8-2 vs Arsenal) but he does his stuff so efficiently, glad he was there today. Inserted a sense of urgency in our play and scored (helped) which may turn out to be our most imp 3 points to get us going.

He might not impress you but have we had a better left back in the last 5 years? Numerous occasions today he beat his man (or two) & his delivery is lethal at times. I must admit he wouldn't have been my first choice this year but he is getting better and better. Well done Ashley!

Jean claude van hire

On a day when once again most of our players performances didn't get beyond average, Ashley turned in a display above average. IMO Ashley has never had the chance to play in his best position from the start of his career at United. SAF bought him to play down the middle giving pace through the centre, something we had lacked for years, but then when Young arrived, he only ever got in the team as a winger. The man deserves credit for hanging on in there, taking the knocks and the abuse (at times) and developing, or reinventing himself, from an occasional squad player, into a regular first XI choice.

MOTM today Ash, well done.:)
All day long mate. Even before his 'goal'

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
If United do sign a top-class LB in the summer, he'd be a good option to rotate with Valencia in the short-term at RB. Valencia still has a role as defensively he's excellent these days but he just offers nothing going forward at all, Young would be a good option to have when you aren't worried about the opposition left-wing and expect to dominate possession and need more of an offensive threat.

Fair play to the guy, looked like he was deadwood in the summer but he's worked hard to create an opening for himself in the team and seized his opportunity.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He got a lot of praise for his performance yesterday, including a piece by Jermaine Jenas on MOTD. Definitely had a good game going forward but defensively I thought he was very poor. Look at all the danger created by Brighton down his wing, he appears to have no idea how to close down or block a cross. LB remains a big problem for us.

Mike09

Has he ever played on the right? I can't recall him doing so for us or Villa, but surely he'd offer more over there than our current options.

And we could then put a LB at LB!
I'm pretty sure watched him at Villa play on the right more than on the left. Agbonlahor was the one who normally played left.

ManuMou

Beast. MOTM. His overall performance this season has been better than Valencia’s.

His offense is good, but not his defense. In big games, Jose will offset his defensive weakness by playing 3-5-2/3-4-3. Our CB options are solid with Bailly/Rojo/Jones/Smalling, so overall i think he will do okay in defense against big teams.

With his current form and Shaw’s lack of game time, hard to see Shaw overtakes him for now.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don’t get why our other players can’t play with the same drive and determination to make things happen as Young has been doing recently. It’s like Young has decided “feck all you bottlers, I’m going to create something for the attackers”.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's having one hell of a season. Well done to Young for turning his United career around and he loves the club which makes me even more happier for him!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I don’t get why our other players can’t play with the same drive and determination to make things happen as Young has been doing recently. It’s like Young has decided “feck all you bottlers, I’m going to create something for the attackers”.
Could it be that the opposition don't put so much focus into him and allow him more time on the ball than our attackers? I mean, Young was a pretty shit winger for us and now has found some success in a reduced defensive role.

Conversely, if he continues to increase his attacking presence, opposition teams will assert for focus onto him and maybe take it away from the left sided attacks such as Rashford or Martial - his success only bodes well for us and well done to him for never giving up.

RedStrudel76

Give the man a new contract, stop messing about.

Unfortunate to play in an era where the club is not winning trophies ala Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Extremely underrated and hope Ash gets to go to the World Cup.

arthurka

He and Lindelöf were by far the best players on the pitch.. Now Lukaku needs to get couple of games on the bench and Matic needs a break he looks a shadow og the player who started the season Fellaini and Herrera can share the load and Rashford, Martial and Zlatan can do the scoring.. But it's funny how Young and Fellaini who lets be fair couldn't do anything right for the caf now need new contracts.... We better get Ando back he lid up the place everytime he needed a new contract... But on a serious note both are valuable players and should get new contracts..

Djemba-Djemba

Why exactly has his goal gone down as an own goal? Is it because he's not Frank Lampard?
Yeah I don't get it.

I've seen so many goals like that over the years and they never seem to go down as own goals.

Like you said, Lampard would be down about 30 career goals under these rules.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Imagine 5 years ago someone telling you that in 2017 Young and Valencia would be not only starting but two very good full backs for United.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Love him and fellaini hahaha

Amazing what the managers trust, some consecutive games and a gameplan the player understands can do for a player. There's a reason we sign these lads. They have great ability. Glad young is showing what he can do again. It's been a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.