g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ashley Young image 18

Ashley Young England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

His crosses need a player on the far post to enter the goal, that's why someone like Fellaini really benefit from them, Smalling today, too.

We should always have a player on the far post to receive his cross.

kundalini

Several good crosses today, not surprising we scored from one. Defensively we were a mess on our left.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
For me he was our second best player after Pogba. Surprised he got such a low rating. I gave him a 7/8

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Had a bit of a brainfart in the first half where he claimed for a throw and the man just went right by him, instead of playing to the whistle. Made an excellent recovery tackle afterwards though.

Did well aside from that. His delivery is superb. Probably the best in the squad. Those right footed inswingers from the left are so difficult to deal with when put in the right area

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Although he's best LB overall, his defending is very poor at times, which is understandable considering he's a winger playing there. What he offers going forward makes up for his defending for me.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Although he's best LB overall, his defending is very poor at times, which is understandable considering he's a winger playing there. What he offers going forward makes up for his defending for me.
Yeh I would agree with this, best crosser in the team by far. Don't think we can get away with him at LB in the big games tho

el3mel

IIRC, Valencia was terrible defensively when LVG switched him permanently for the RB position, I pretty much hated him a lot after the 3-0 lose to Everton, but as games went on he learned how to position himself defensively better.

Young is struggling from the thing, being switched from a winger with minimal defensive roles to a full back that needs to be very good defensively needs time. It's shame we took that long to switch him permanently as a full back though.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
IIRC, Valencia was terrible defensively when LVG switched him permanently for the RB position, I pretty much hated him a lot after the 3-0 lose to Everton, but as games went on he learned how to position himself defensively better.

Young is struggling from the thing, being switched from a winger with minimal defensive roles to a full back that needs to be very good defensively needs time. It's shame we took that long to switch him permanently as a full back though.
Yeah overall I agree, but Valencia is a physical beast, his pace and power get him out trouble even when his positioning isn't right or his behind the play, Young doesn't have that and he's 32, turning 33 next season, so sadly for him he doesn't have time to nail that position down like Valencia did.

Like I said, he's our best LB by quite a bit, but we need to bring someone else in next season. I wouldn't mind Young as a backup though.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Solid option, but like Valencia he should be delegated a backup role next season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Statistically our best player according to whoscored.com. Felt he was fantastic. His delivery was, amd has been fantastic this season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Newcastle second best chance came after poor defending on his part in which he received a bollocking from Smalling. Their goal was down his side and quite easily but of course Lindelöf should have stopped the pass.

He's a frequent liability in defense and he's not as good offensively when Fellaini isn't on the pitch.

To me he's the weak link in our defense but he's done well with the job he's given. I just wished he didn't always make the same lob cross to the far post. Sometimes try and find the man instead. His crossing approach is basically do the same thing over and over and hope it sticks. No point to do the high balls without Fellaini. The crosses like his last two assists, those I want to see more of. Whip them in.

Minimalist

Don’t rate him at all but he has been playing above expectations is most matches he’s played so can’t complain.

Womp

idiot
Solid option, but like Valencia he should be delegated a backup role next season.
This, both players are good, but not the quality required if we want to get back to the top. Do a City and blow big bucks on two fullbacks, possibly a backup for Pogba, a replacement no. 10 and a right-sided attacker and we are all set.

Trizy

Solid again when asked to put in a shift LB/LWB. Great crossing today.

LLMU

Dependable when needed but not a long term option. We need a leftback desperately if Shaw is going to be move on in the summer.

prtk0811

This, both players are good, but not the quality required if we want to get back to the top. Do a City and blow big bucks on two fullbacks, possibly a backup for Pogba, a replacement no. 10 and a right-sided attacker and we are all set.
Its not as easy as that. We wont spend 100 m on two full backs.

Redlyn

Just half our first team then. You don't want much.
Sad part is you are right.

Womp

idiot
Its not as easy as that. We wont spend 100 m on two full backs.
You don't need to spend 100m on fullbacks. Good fullbacks will cost good money though, so if we aren't paying the price it'll cost, we will continue using makeshift players there.

MadMike

I think he's simply the best LB we have, despite his limitations. He's undoubtedly very good going forward and I do love his attitude, but he can be a bit suspect defensively. Certainly deserves to be in the team at the moment, though

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's actually become a bit of a playmaker at LB. Not only is his crossing alright but he constantly pings balls down the flanks behind the oppos defence for our attackers to run onto.

Rossa

He's actually become a bit of a playmaker at LB. Not only is his crossing alright but he constantly pings balls down the flanks behind the oppos defence for our attackers to run onto.
He gets more space at LB, and he is quite an intelligent player. Too bad that his speed, which used to be pretty good, seems to have more or less gone. He's still a good player to have, but he has always been just a good player to have.

Pogboom06

Ashley young... his resurgence is such a positive note in the manchester united squad, one that part of Jose Mourinho's wishlist. what I mean is, when other fullbacks playing for manutd don't play good football (i.e. Luke Shaw, Matteo Darmian, Daley Blind), this veteran, whose move to smaller clubs due to his age looked imminent, found his form back but in a slightly different position than during his prime. It's really amazing how he is now the club's best fullback. the recent call-up to the england squad just says it all. ashley young will always a young spirit. I tip my hat off to this legend

Man Utd 1:0 Brighton

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Some decent moves forward from him on down the left hand side, he may have been our biggest attacking threat that half.

Status
Not open for further replies.