Ask admin a technical question (For mod action/questions, please PM us)

Conor

Yeah that seems a bit harsh. Personally I think the modmin who did it should be taken out back and executed. By the Taliban.
I would personally say the IRA would do a better job of it, but I'm open to take the discussion to the Taliban vs IRA thread.

Conor

That doesn't change that it's a pretty harsh expression to use for humans.
In the grand scheme of things said on this forum, I would have to disagree. You would have to be pretty sensitive to be upset by something like that. I think a 3 point warning is pretty harsh anyway.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In the grand scheme of things said on this forum, I would have to disagree. You would have to be pretty sensitive to be upset by something like that. I think a 3 point warning is pretty harsh anyway.
I don't know how the point system is applied, but it's arguably indistinguishable from any other way people wish bodily harm on players, and that always gets a warning (if noticed).

Conor

I don't know how the point system is applied, but it's arguably indistinguishable from any other way people wish bodily harm on players, and that always gets a warning (if noticed).
It's not really, as I've explained, it's a commonly used metaphor that in no way actually wishes bodily harm on the subject.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's not really, as I've explained, it's a commonly used metaphor that in no way actually wishes bodily harm on the subject.
It's not commonly used about people though, much as I'd love it if the Guardian said it about Boris Johnson in a particularly vitriolic front page comment piece.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's not commonly used about people though, much as I'd love it if the Guardian said it about Boris Johnson in a particularly vitriolic front page comment piece.
To be fair, a better fate for Boris would be to have an apple stuffed into his mouth and be taken into a dark room with David Cameron.

TheGame

Sorry if anyone else has mentioned. Since the new iOS update, all of the reply options when submitted a reply are greyed out on safari so I can’t post a quote, spoiler etc however it’s fine when I use chrome. Anyone else have this issue?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sorry if anyone else has mentioned. Since the new iOS update, all of the reply options when submitted a reply are greyed out on safari so I can’t post a quote, spoiler etc however it’s fine when I use chrome. Anyone else have this issue?
Press the yellow cog.

Anustart89

Thread title should be edited to include "Before asking your question, try clicking the yellow cog". This thread would've had 10 pages less.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I guess this fits here better, before we have an ad hominem discussion in the English Coaches thread.
I've seen some questionable likes for newbies from you and zi
Who is 'you', who is 'zi', and what are those questionable likes?

Just as a general comment, likes aren't giving to indicate agreement (we're not trying to create an echo chamber), but when the post contains a generally OK level of decency, content, and reasoning.

stu_1992

Calling him dumb is obviously a bit ch
So, what exactly did I get a warning here for? https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-vs-everton.465820/post-27868367

Calling Ole clueless? Watching how he is destroying this club (today's game including), despite having star-packed team, how is that sentiment not warranted?
Calling him "dumb" is obviously a really childish way of letting everyone know you don't support the manager. It just adds nothing to a discussion. It's just personal insults at that point instead of actual criticism.

But what do I know, I'm not a staff member. Fair warning imo.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Calling him dumb is obviously a bit ch
Calling him "dumb" is obviously a really childish way of letting everyone know you don't support the manager. It just adds nothing to a discussion. It's just personal insults at that point instead of actual criticism.

But what do I know, I'm not a staff member. Fair warning imo.
I have been a huge Ole fan and nothing will make me happier than for him to succeed, but there is a point of no return when his actions make it impossible. Saying he is clueless and getting dumber was commentary on his irrational selections. It was a response to somebody saying why we keep picking Fred and Martial if they are not good enough, it wasn't an empty insult.

Anyway, there is so much even emptier insulting going around here, if everybody were given warnings there would be nobody left.

What's next? Adding more warnings for dissent now? :D

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I have been a huge Ole fan and nothing will make me happier than for him to succeed, but there is a point of no return when his actions make it impossible. Saying he is clueless and getting dumber was commentary on his irrational selections. It was a response to somebody saying why we keep picking Fred and Martial if they are not good enough, it wasn't an empty insult.

Anyway, there is so much even emptier insulting going around here, if everybody were given warnings there would be nobody left.

What's next? Adding more warnings for dissent now? :D
I agree it's a bit messy. Just one or two weeks ago people were getting warnings for saying Ole Out early in the post-game thread, now @Raoul was doing it himself. But saying 'increasingly more dumb' indicates that he was always dumb and it's getting worse; it's a needless insult. If others are doing worse, report it and they'll get warnings as well.

(I'm also not a mod btw, just so that's clear.)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree it's a bit messy. Just one or two weeks ago people were getting warnings for saying Ole Out early in the post-game thread, now @Raoul was doing it himself. But saying 'increasingly more dumb' indicates that he was always dumb and it's getting worse; it's a needless insult. If others are doing worse, report it and they'll get warnings as well.

(I'm also not a mod btw, just so that's clear.)
Nothing wrong with wanting Ole out and discussing his obvious ineptness. This is after all a football forum where people discuss the positive and negative.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lads it’s quite simple, keep it constructive
Obviously Ole is a hot topic but there are parties on both sides of the argument and not everyone wants to have the same negative conversation every day

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nothing wrong with wanting Ole out and discussing his obvious ineptness. This is after all a football forum where people discuss the positive and negative.
That's not what I was saying. My point was that what mods consider acceptable has been changing, but that calling the manager 'increasingly dumb' is never OK.

(For that matter, I thought those warnings for Ole Out posts a few weeks ago were harsh.)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That's not what I was saying. My point was that what mods consider acceptable has been changing, but that calling the manager 'increasingly dumb' is never OK.

(For that matter, I thought those warnings for Ole Out posts a few weeks ago were harsh.)
Never OK? It was mostly factual: losing to Aston Villa, with the squad we have, is inept. Doubling down on the mistakes instead of admitting them, claiming "we dominated possession against Villeareal" (no, we didn't we had slightly more possession, mostly useless passing) and then drawing an easy game with Everton - yes, the ineptness is progressing. Things are getting worse.

So, you are basically just claiming me saying "dumb" (in the heat of frustration) instead of "inept" is what we give 3 point warnings for, on this forum? OK then.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Never OK? It was mostly factual: losing to Aston Villa, with the squad we have, is inept. Doubling down on the mistakes instead of admitting them, claiming "we dominated possession against Villeareal" (no, we didn't we had slightly more possession, mostly useless passing) and then drawing an easy game with Everton - yes, the ineptness is progressing. Things are getting worse.

So, you are basically just claiming me saying "dumb" (in the heat of frustration) instead of "inept" is what we give 3 point warnings for, on this forum? OK then.
First, I'm not a mod, I'm just giving my interpretation. @Solius can argue his case for the warning himself if he wants to.

Second, I should have quoted you in full, since you didn't say 'increasingly dumb', but 'increasingly more dumb'. As I said before:
saying 'increasingly more dumb' indicates that he was always dumb and it's getting worse; it's a needless insult. If others are doing worse, report it and they'll get warnings as well.
But again, I didn't give that warning and have no say in the policy around warnings. I'm just trying to explain what I think is behind this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Maybe don’t post whilst frustrated then. It was a needless insult and not constructive.

Bondi77

Are there any rules regarding starting threads that have already been started but just have a subtle title change?

Real Name

When on mobile and on Opera I can't scroll the pages. It works on Chrome.

Any suggestions how to solve this.

golden_blunder

Staff

Don’t post in the heat of the moment. Keep it constructive. Lastly if anyone doesn’t like the rules here and perhaps wants to post on a childish free for all elsewhere they are quite entitled to leave.

golden_blunder

Staff
Are there any rules regarding starting threads that have already been started but just have a subtle title change?
Do you mean is it ok to change the title of a thread you created after it’s started?
There’s nothing in the rules against it

Bondi77

Do you mean is it ok to change the title of a thread you created after it’s started?
There’s nothing in the rules against it
Not quite,
I mean having more than one thread posted at the same time that poses the same question but just has a different title.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why aren’t the European league threads sticky like they were last season?
They were unstuck towards the end of last season - policy change because there were too many sticky threads in that forum. I think the La Liga and Bundesliga ones have been stickied because they're the most popular ones.

TheGame

They were unstuck towards the end of last season - policy change because there were too many sticky threads in that forum. I think the La Liga and Bundesliga ones have been stickied because they're the most popular ones.
Ah right, wasn’t aware of that. Thought Serie A could have been a sticky so all of the major leagues are then.

TheGame

Does anyone else keep getting the message to accept 'we value your privacy' sign every time they move from page to page as I seem to be getting that for this site but don't get it for other sites? I'm using Edge.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Does anyone else keep getting the message to accept 'we value your privacy' sign every time they move from page to page as I seem to be getting that for this site but don't get it for other sites? I'm using Edge.
Have you tried accepting it?