At the end of this season, Maguire needs to be removed as Captain

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Harry Maguire is up there with one of the worst players I have seen as captain of our great club, he can't even command his own defenders and the amount of mistakes he has cost us is simply. Not good enough for what we paid for him. Looking back he was okay at Leicester had the odd good game but under well less pressure than he is with us and had a really good world cup. However, that doesn't command the price we ended up paying for him when there are much better CB's available at a cheaper cost to what we shelled out. And then to arrive and be given the captaincy when he hadn't earnt it was strictly mind blowing. Out of 10 I would give him a 5.5 for overall performance levels since signing, his antics against Everton cost us the points more than David de Gea who up until a few years ago was the BEST GK in the world. Him going down easily to try and get a foul late on and for the captain to be the one to keep everyone onside in the dying seconds when every other member of the team was keeping the offside track perfectly.

And his reactions after games especially in Derbys when we have been beaten or drew and he is hugging playing or laughing, it sends out the message to every club that we are soft and then were shocked when teams like Sheffield come against us and just go for it because they know how much or our squad particularly in defence are weak minded individuals. Bruno Fernandes is the proper captain of this club for me, even when he doesn't play well which is rarely he pulls an assist or goal out of no where and he never continues to not try which I love about him. Give him the captaincy and you will see players attitudes improve and from that we will start to have a proper mentality not seen for years. And for people saying Maguire has been better than I am saying he has would he get in City's, Liverpools, PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan, Ajax, Munich or Dortmund side who are now the elite of Europe. No.

Verbalkint

I
Harry Maguire is up there with one of the worst players I have seen as captain of our great club, he can't even command his own defenders and the amount of mistakes he has cost us is simply. Not good enough for what we paid for him. Looking back he was okay at Leicester had the odd good game but under well less pressure than he is with us and had a really good world cup. However, that doesn't command the price we ended up paying for him when there are much better CB's available at a cheaper cost to what we shelled out. And then to arrive and be given the captaincy when he hadn't earnt it was strictly mind blowing. Out of 10 I would give him a 5.5 for overall performance levels since signing, his antics against Everton cost us the points more than David de Gea who up until a few years ago was the BEST GK in the world. Him going down easily to try and get a foul late on and for the captain to be the one to keep everyone onside in the dying seconds when every other member of the team was keeping the offside track perfectly.

And his reactions after games especially in Derbys when we have been beaten or drew and he is hugging playing or laughing, it sends out the message to every club that we are soft and then were shocked when teams like Sheffield come against us and just go for it because they know how much or our squad particularly in defence are weak minded individuals. Bruno Fernandes is the proper captain of this club for me, even when he doesn't play well which is rarely he pulls an assist or goal out of no where and he never continues to not try which I love about him. Give him the captaincy and you will see players attitudes improve and from that we will start to have a proper mentality not seen for years. And for people saying Maguire has been better than I am saying he has would he get in City's, Liverpools, PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan, Ajax, Munich or Dortmund side who are now the elite of Europe. No.
I don't think he's a particularly bad player, at the same time he's definitely not world class. He needs a world class CB alongside him to shine. The trouble for us is that we've seen Vidic & Rio at CB, displaying the highest level and standards each game. There is absolutely no comparison to the two here that would make sense. I agree, strip him of the captaincy, give it someone with actual guts and fight in them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Managed half the first sentence personally.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think it only creates unnecessary headlines.

Bruno is the captain. A strip of fabric doesn't change that.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
I

I don't think he's a particularly bad player, at the same time he's definitely not world class. He needs a world class CB alongside him to shine. The trouble for us is that we've seen Vidic & Rio at CB, displaying the highest level and standards each game. There is absolutely no comparison to the two here that would make sense. I agree, strip him of the captaincy, give it someone with actual guts and fight in them.
Bruce/Pallister and Stam/Johnsen were also good remembered defences and influential in bringing back major success to our club. I love Vidic and Rio and I would put them up there with the best CB pairing we have had but there were others too especially Stam and Johnsen who would the Treble :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Captaincy is so overrated.

If Bruno is already a leader then wearing a band on his arm won't magically make him more of a leader or mean the other players start listening to him more than they already would have.

There's a reason a lot of successful clubs just give it to the longest serving player, or share it among several players. It doesn't matter. What matters is whether you have leaders, whether they happen to wear the armband on a given day or not.

However, stripping a player of the captaincy would matter. Not because wearing the armband magically impacts Maguire's leadership abilities but because the player will inevitably see it as a slight and have his confidence dented.

no.

like others have said, no need to read 90% of the post.

GMoore23

Bruce/Pallister and Stam/Johnsen were also good remembered defences and influential in bringing back major success to our club. I love Vidic and Rio and I would put them up there with the best CB pairing we have had but there were others too especially Stam and Johnsen who would the Treble :drool:
Regarding, Stam/Johnsen, I think that pairing only worked because Stam was a phenomenal CB, individually better than both Rio & Vidic imo. When Fergie got rid, we got hammered in the league that season by Arsenal. It took the signing of Rio the following season to see us back to our best.
Put Stam alongside either of Lindelof & Maguire this season and we're still top of the league.

RK

Always laugh at people commenting on captaincy like this as if they have any idea what goes on behind the scenes and at the training ground.

Just let them get on with it. The leaders will lead anyway.

Dante

Average bang
A piece of cloth around somebody's arm doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

Do you think Roy Keane would have been any less of a captain without the armband? Is Bruno any less of a leader?

If the idea is to give the captaincy to somebody else on the team, why didn't that other person direct the backline for the equaliser against Everton? Bruno failed that audition for the armband as much as Maguire did.

The only thing a (C) next to a name does is give a certain type of player a bit of extra confidence. The decision should be about who would be most positively affected and about who actually needs the boost.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Horrible idea.

The fascination over who is captain is weird... Its basically who you want in our side to be player liason, sort out training ground fines, and match day tickets for players.

On it pitch you don't need a ribbon to make you a leader.

AgentSmith

I think it only creates unnecessary headlines.

Bruno is the captain. A strip of fabric doesn't change that.
It is an interesting idea about how much the weight of that strip of fabric might be affecting Maguire though.

Bruno is obviously a personality type that thrives under expectation and is a natural leader. He’s also extremely likeable and naturally charming. Ideal captaincy candidate if he can keep his frustrations in relative check.

Maguire doesn’t seem to follow this pattern. He doesn’t do well under pressure and feels like he’s forcing himself to be a leader rather than it coming naturally to him. I feel like he’d be an ideal captain at someone like Leicester but his personality doesn’t translate to the stature of United.

In an ideal world we’d swap their positions within the squad and it would be a silent painless transition. But the idea of the media not having a field day with that would be fanciful.So would the public pain of being removed as captain outweigh the potential long-term benefit of it for Maguire? Probably not.

Basically an unnecessarily long-winded way of saying I agree with your initial assessment - not worth the headlines. Just an interesting thought about the difference in personalities between Maguire and Bruno.

Red_toad

Exactly the same, didn't read the rest.
Ditto. Random poster thinks they can demand whom is captain of United as the current one isn’t up to the standards Young and Valencia set. The team is a reflection of Ole, generally a bit too nice.
Harry will remain as captain, until we get a new manager and possibly even then keep it. Creating boring threads will have zero effect.

Devil may care

People always say the captain's armband doesn't mean as much these days but I think it does to the person wearing it and I don't think that pressure is helping Maguire. Either way it would be nice to get a CB who can lead the back 4 whether he's wearing the armband or not as Maguire's not that guy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That was a foul IMO. Poor decision by the ref.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

If Bruno is already a leader then wearing a band on his arm won't magically make him more of a leader or mean the other players start listening to him more than they already would have.

There's a reason a lot of successful clubs just give it to the longest serving player, or share it among several players. It doesn't matter. What matters is whether you have leaders, whether they happen to wear the armband on a given day or not.

However, stripping a player of the captaincy would matter. Not because wearing the armband magically impacts Maguire's leadership abilities but because the player will inevitably see it as a slight and have his confidence dented.
You are absolutely correct but that's not what Mark Goldbridge told the OP to think so it doesn't matter how much sense your post makes. The OP doesn't have any original thoughts and is just repeating what he heard on YouTube...sigh

mosschopps

No point posting about Maguire, we are stuck with him as player and Captain as long as Ole is in charge. Better trying to make the most of it. If that means bringing another CB in then so be it. SAF's teams had captains all across field. We have imo two at the moment in bruno and Cavani. Just need a couple more leaders on the pitch.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Liverpool are 4th in the Prem, Dortmund, PSG is 3rd in France, Madrid are 2nd in La Liga a ocean behind Ateltico,, same with Barca, Juventus are having a poor season and sits at 3d in Serie A, Ajax are playing Europa League and Dortmund are currently 6th in the Bundesliga.

Manchester United are 2nd in the Premier League.

Harry Maguire is captaining a team that sits well and above most of these teams in their domestic leagues.

Do you think this is the 90s? There are no teams with a Keane, Vinnie Jones or Patrick Vieira's anymore.

Fact is that none of us have any idea what goes on in the dressing room, but he's the captain for a reason and the players respect him, so it is what it is.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The top reds that engulf this forum who adore Maguire won’t like it, but you’re 100% right. He’s not a leader, quite frankly he isn’t even good enough. Not only would I take the captaincy off him, I’d sell him too. Nowhere near good enough for the level we aspire to be at.

Kag

Managed half the first sentence personally.
Indeed. Terribly written nonsense like this shouldn’t get through quality control.

The opinion that Maguire is an issue is a valid one (albeit I disagree), but I’m a little sick of logging in to read posts that aren’t even legible.

BR7

Can we deal with more important matters first like Daniel James and Phil Jones ..... Maguire really isn’t anywhere near as bad as people are making out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I mentioned it in the thread yesterday but stripping someone of captaincy could be disastrous for team morale.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
He needs to leave the club, forget the armband.

Get this trash player out, send him to Stoke or West Ham where his mediocrity is acceptable and he can hug and kiss rival players all he wants.

hubbuh

The fact remains that we had one of the best defences in the league last year. I don't know what has changed, but Maguire was a big reason for that solidity in 2019/2020. I don't see why bringing in a quality, reliable and dominant CB to partner him won't elevate his level back to what it was last year.

Siorac

Yep, all of this. We seem to attribute mythical powers to the armband when it's really nothing but a ceremonial position. As such, it's pointlessly petty to take it away from someone for nothing else but sub-par performances.

I'm no fan of Maguire but there's no reason to humiliate him.

DoomSlayer

Definitely the most undeserved captain. What did exactly Maguire do to earn that privilege?

People saying captaincy doesn't matter are mad. The captain is the formal representative of the whole club during a match.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nonsense but I've come to expect nothing less from many of the posters on this forum.

klayton88

I

For 80m he should be the world class CB. I hate that excuse of 'he needs somebody good beside him' to make up for how slow he is. We paid 80m for a player who needs another player beside him to make him be less shit?

TrustInJanuzaj

Definitely the most undeserved captain. What did exactly Maguire do to earn that privilege?

People saying captaincy doesn't matter are mad. The captain is the formal representative of the whole club during a match.
Maybe he showcased professionalism and leadership around the club that many others didn't even in a short time period at the club? I remember posters at the time calling for De Gea, how clueless can you be to want him as captain! The truth is, none of us have any idea how Maguire performs his role around the club, but from the snippets we get to see in interviews and on social media, he's well respected, professional and an asset to the club. Too many posters let their bias get in the way of judging a very good character, regardless of what you think about him as a player.

Also on your first point, you do remember our previous captain was Young, a player who was never fit to wear a Man Utd shirt and was certainly a far lesser player than Maguire.

TrustInJanuzaj

For 80m he should be the world class CB. I hate that excuse of 'he needs somebody good beside him' to make up for how slow he is. We paid 80m for a player who needs another player beside him to make him be less shit?
Well we played £90 million for a player who also isn't world-class week in, week out. While Pogba is a more talented player (and one I do rate) Maguire has shown a level of consistency and professionalism in his day to day role that Pogba never has. He deserves far much respect than he gets from many so called 'supporters'.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I've let Solskjaer know to clear out his desk in the morning mate. Do you want a chair with wheels or a standard one?

TheGame

Why do people create stupid threads such as this when there is zero chance of it happening? Do you think creating a thread will suddenly make it happen? Not to mention the opening post seems like some sort of parody.