Kick-off
Wed, 23 February 2022 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Pogba has to play. Bruno has to play. So does Sancho and Ronaldo/ Cavani. I would prefer he played Ronaldo as a sub. Play Rashford early on and tell him to run non stop. If he doesn't hook him off.
    Edi hasn't travelled

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Looks like Hannibal changed his hairstyle. Thats the only interesting thing in that video

padzilla

Hipster
    We are due a hiding with the chances we've been leaking recently - hopefully tonight isn't it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
    So hyped, even though it'll probably be a borefest. Hopefully we can at least nab an away goal. Maybe 1-1 or 2-1 to them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    I don't think Rashford will be that effective because of the low block system Simeone applies. There will be no space for Marcus to get in behind or fuel counter attacks.

Sancho and Ronaldo will be far more dangerous in my opinion.

Exactly. People forget how much Suarez vanishes in CL matches. Rudiger pocketed him so badly when they played Chelsea, its not even funny.

So will Ronnie!!
    Having actually watched Rashford for a few years now, is your ACTUAL observation that the majority of his goals and threatening situations come in counter attacking situations? Or is it a subconscious lazy opinion which sounds like something that could/would make sense (because he is very fast and maybe his close control can be untidy at times)?

I’m assuming that, by similar token - Sancho would be more suited to a game like this, and if I asked why, the answer would be ‘because he has better close control/dribbling skills to break them down’. This is the Sancho that has literally scored all of his Manchester United goals on the counter attack.

I do apologise of my response seems a bit needly, it’s just quite a gripe of mine the way a lot of football opinion is regurgitated nowadays with seemingly less and less independent thought.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Looks like Hannibal changed his hairstyle. Thats the only interesting thing in that video
    English gang - foreign gang in the rondos :angel: Team spirit is looking better and better over the last few weeks. We just need a result or two that we can really take belief from and then I think we could surprise a few people in the CL and finish strong in the league. On paper we really do have a banging team. It can and should always be improved but we currently should be able to beat anyone on our day

Pavl3n

Jarhead has to watch it. With the amount of fouls he's committing he could be in trouble. On top of all Spanish teams have the tendency to exaggerate, fall down as if V. Zaitsev shot them and roll around nearly as much as Neymar.

An interesting stat is that in Atletico's last 35 games, there have been 16 red cards shown (both sides included). Nearly a red card every other game.

Pintu

They’ve been shit in the CL this year.
    Not only this year. I am really shocked at the number of predictions I see on Twitter saying they'd win this by 2/3 goals.

I am gonna post this here again.

Here is Atletico's recent home record in the CL:

And the last time Atletico won a CL game by 3 goals or more was in 2015 against Astana (from Kazakhstan ).

Pintu

An interesting stat is that in Atletico's last 35 games, there have been 16 red cards shown (both sides included). Nearly a red card every other game.
    They are really good at making something meaningless look big.

When they played Milan, Kessie got 2 cheap yellows inside 30 minutes. And he is nowhere near as aggressive and clumsy as McFred are. He has 0 red cards in the last 5 Serie A seasons. Players have to be extra careful.

Jacob

The big question is Pogba or no Pogba, I guess. Other than that, the team picks itself:

Would've preferred Lindelöf over Maguire though. Also think Elanga might get the nod ahead of Pogba.

DDG
    DALOT -------- MAGUIRE -------- VARANE ------- SHAW
    McTOMINARY ----------- FRED
    SANCHO -------------- BRUNO ----------- POGBA
    RONALDO​

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    The big question is Pogba or no Pogba, I guess. Other than that, the team picks itself:

Would've preferred Lindelöf over Maguire though. Also think Elanga might get the nod ahead of Pogba.

DDG
    DALOT -------- MAGUIRE -------- VARANE ------- SHAW
    McTOMINARY ----------- FRED
    SANCHO -------------- BRUNO ----------- POGBA
    RONALDO​
    Pogba should 100% start over Elanga - especially as Elagna has proven himself a useful bench option recently.

James35

Can’t see nothing but a defeat personally, think it will be close game between one underachieving team in Atletico and one that’s been underachieving for years.
    Squad wise pretty even, just think home advantage and the usual chances we give up falling to the likes of Suarez, Correa etc will be our downfall.

Hopefully I’m wrong and Ronaldo has a typical CL game and grabs a goal or two.

De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, Dalot, Fred, McTominay, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Ronaldo.

2-1

Pavl3n

They are really good at making something meaningless look big.

When they played Milan, Kessie got 2 cheap yellows inside 30 minutes. And he is nowhere near as aggressive and clumsy as McFred are. He has 0 red cards in the last 5 Serie A seasons. Players have to be extra careful.
    Yes, very good at that. Keeping in mind Scott has been committing fouls for fun in the last few games, we could easily end up with 10 man.
    I hope during refs briefings, they have discussed Atleti's tendency to overreact and I hope Scott's been told to be extra careful. Fingers crossed.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
    Honestly I think Rashford should start today tbh
    Might not be a bad shout. Our best tactic would be to shoot more often and certainly run at their defence as Oblak has been pretty much the worst goalkeeper in Spain this year, or Europe. Don’t think Atletico look anywhere near as solid as they used to and Savic/Hermoso/Filipe are average.

Ralaks

I feel like this is probably the best time to meet them since Simeone took over.

I fear their antics will mean McTominay will need to be super careful. Simeone knows he is an aggressive player and will have them to their best to get him booked early on. We need to be super clever. Honestly this game feels as much as a mental exercise as a physical one, get into their heads and make them lose their minds, before it's the other way around. It was pretty obvious from the Porto game that they can crack too if it goes against them, doing stupid tackles/elbow shenanigans.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
    Supports
    city
    I can see you having a positive result tonight which will be essential for you as I expect them to give you problems at OT.

Prediction
    AM 1
    MU 2

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    These lot are going to shithouse their way to a win aren't they?

Foxbatt

Might not be a bad shout. Our best tactic would be to shoot more often and certainly run at their defence as Oblak has been pretty much the worst goalkeeper in Spain this year, or Europe. Don’t think Atletico look anywhere near as solid as they used to and Savic/Hermoso/Filipe are average.
    The problem is Rashford is not shooting on sight anymore. He wants to dribble past three players. I don't mind if he shoots on sight without trying to dribble past the whole defense.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Even though he's never been sent off for us, Mctominay to be given a red card might be easy money with Athletico shit house tactics. You just know they're going to spend the majority of the game rolling around on the ground and bending the refs ear. cnuts

Meep

Probably?

De Gea
    Dalot Lindelöf Varane Telles
    Fred Pogba
    Sancho Fernandes Rashford
    Ronaldo

SER19

Such a huge tie, for momentum for rest of season getting past them would be great. Could get a decent qf draw then.

Im not confident. atletico aren't having a good season but they're the sort of team that we do poorly against. Physical, with decent ball playing midfielders and its their biggest game of season now really as their league is going so poorly.

The fairytale for us is Ronaldo just hitting CL mode

redshaw

Difficult to see past Antic Madrid conning the ref throughout the game and our players losing it.

Wish I could look forward to the game but it fills me with dread the amount of falling to the floor, holding their faces like they've been punched and rolling over.

PoTMS

Who is the ref? A Pogba or McTominay red is nailed on with their cheating cnuts on the pitch.

Flying high

Probably?

De Gea
    Dalot Lindelöf Varane Telles
    Fred Pogba
    Sancho Fernandes Rashford
    Ronaldo
    I think the only question should be McTominay or Fred. Fred will be fresher, but if he's charging forward to close down, then Pogba is left too deep. So I'd go with the tartan reducer.

Maguire was better at the weekend, but this is not the game for him, even on form.

If Rashford can't get up for this game, then he has some serious issues. He's got to work harder than he has in recent games.

Chief123

Surely no one has any doubt that we will let atletico have their best game of the season and revive their year after some poor form. All their players out of form will shine tonight.

Tonight’s headlines

Ronaldo is finished
    Simeone masterclass
    Suarez strikes old enemy
    Pogba punished for dwelling too much
    Sancho a shadow of his Dortmund days
    What has happened to Rashford?
    Despite a inconsistent season, Felix shines

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings