Creator of Player Performance threads

Axel Tuanzebe
Nov 14, 1997 (18)
Bunia

1.85 m
Nationality:
England
Congo DR

A robust central defender, Axel Tuanzebe is a natural leader and was captain of the Under-18 team despite being a first-year scholar.

Born in Bunia, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the teenager has dual British nationality and has been nurtured by the club's Academy since the age of eight after growing up in Rochdale.

A Milk Cup winner in 2013 and 2014, he was awarded Sports Boy of the Year by Mayor of Rochdale Keith Swift in 2009 and has been making good progress ever since.

"He's a very, very good player," said Academy adviser Les Kershaw. "And is one of them that I really like because he has a strong personality."

Tuanzebe is an imposing figure who is comfortable in possession despite his obvious brawn and the 2015 winner of the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award. He started 28 matches and came off the bench once during a good campaign for Paul McGuinness' side and, remarkably, is still eligible for another year of Academy football.

He certainly enjoys the responsibility of being captain - "I like bossing people around!" - and has pushed into the Under-21s ahead of schedule after making three substitute appearances for Warren Joyce's side last season.

Last edited:

Chip

Hopefully he's gonna get plenty of playing time during the pre-season - starting tomorrow already :drool:

Edit: I love him saying: "I like bossing people around!" We need more of that in our team. Have we really had any truly gutsy players since Roy Keane?

Last edited:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Not sure about obvious brawn but he could be in the silky Ferdinand mould. :drool:

Siddharth

Hopefully he's gonna get plenty of playing time during the pre-season - starting tomorrow already :drool:

Edit: I love him saying: "I like bossing people around!" We need more of that in our team. Have we really had any truly gutsy players since Roy Keane?
He said it in jest. If he was like Roy Keane, he wouldn't have had to say it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed with our manager (wow, that feeling..). He's shown great potential.

George Beast

Looking at his highlights there's nothing remarkable about how he played, however I think what Mourinho was praising was his composure for such a young lad. Composure isn't really something you can teach and it's one of the attributes every top defender has. Weirdly, he reminded me a bit of Rashford in that he took to the first team as if he's been playing with them for years.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know he was on the bench a couple of times last season but after all the young players van Gaal used I'm really surprised he didn't make his debut.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I know he was on the bench a couple of times last season but after all the young players van Gaal used I'm really surprised he didn't make his debut.
He got injured around March I think. So he probably would have played towards the end like TFM.

FromTheBench

He got injured when van gaal was throwing others in. But he had made the bench before his peers.

khoazany

Made no mistake in the short period he played yesterday.He has every attribute to become a good player for us.

Anyway his profile on here needs to change.He represented England at youth level so that should be his first country.

ti vu

I think what Mourinho praised is about the mentality and tactical sense in him (I felt similar with CBJ). Compared to TFM, you clearly see Tuanzebe is more matured. Hardly put a foot wrong while TFM doesn't have much to do neither and is more physically superior gives off a nervy feeling with no real threat from Wigan.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Any videos floating about of his 10 minute cameo? Missed the match so I've been intrigued by Mourinho's post match comments.

Sigma

A while back everyone was saying our youth academy isn't as great as it used to be:

Rashford
TFM
Tuanzebe
Williams
Tchong
CBJ

e.t.c.

Nickosaur

A while back everyone was saying our youth academy isn't as great as it used to be:

Rashford
TFM
Tuanzebe
Williams
Tchong
CBJ

e.t.c.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was the younger academy sides (e.g. 16 and under) which was getting a bit more criticism? Players choosing City over us at younger ages etc.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Rashford
TFM
Tuanzebe
Williams
Tchong
CBJ

e.t.c.
Other than Rashford, none has proved that our youth academy is "great". Yet.

m1y2

Good, however I'm missing his height in his profile.

it was clear to see for past two years that there is a great generation of defenders coming up, they successfully made step up to the U21 now the most difficult step to the first team, hope we see at least two out of Tuanzebe/CBJ/Williams/Pool/Warren to make it here otherwise I will be a bit disappointed.but it's gonna be a tough fight, I think read also had a decent chance to make it if he was more patient.. Axel was unlucky last year with injuries so hopefully he's fit for this year and after the praise Mourinho gave him, gives him also some minutes here and there.

after Smalling - Bailly, Jones - Tuanzebe for cup games and injury crysis, with Blind as a cover at LB and Rojo and Blackett sold, McNair loaned, doesn't look really experienced or solid but we could benefit from it later, also Mourinho knows how to develop defenders..

I am counting with TFM to midfield btw

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Rashford
TFM
Tuanzebe
Williams
Tchong
CBJ

e.t.c.
We can't be claiming any credit for Chong. He's a Feyenoord product, and as it stands, has yet to kick a ball with us.

marlowe78

The game on Saturday was the first time I really got to see him and I was struck by how physically imposing he looked at such a young age. Players with that attribute and who are this precocious - going into the U21s at 18 - should be getting a very long look from us.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Could be this year's CBJ. Please give him a shot, Jose. He can't be any worse than Rojo, and is surely 10 times fitter than Phil Jones.

Classical Mechanic

Watched him for England U20. He started at DM. I wasn't overly impressed as he didn't seem to show for the ball enough. Did some good defensive work in his own box though.

Holland were poor and didn't even have a shot at goal in the first half, Axel shut out their best move by tracking his man and muscling him out of a goal scoring opportunity.

The two centre backs were very solid so the depth looks good in that position.

itso 7

Ditch Jones and Rojo, make him the 4th CB. He needs to play at a higher level.
This and its one of the issues I was hesitant in fully backing Mourinho's hire. Its a farce that Rojo has played all the minutes he's had when Tuanzebe has been shut out and CBJ farmed out on loan when both could have fulfilled his roles at a lower cost but with no discernible drop in quality.

prath92

This and its one of the issues I was hesitant in fully backing Mourinho's hire. Its a farce that Rojo has played all the minutes he's had when Tuanzebe has been shut out and CBJ farmed out on loan when both could have fulfilled his roles at a lower cost but with no discernible drop in quality.
CBJ will gain more playing every week for Wolves than sitting on the bench here behind Blind and Shaw and playing the odd cup game

itso 7

CBJ will gain more playing every week for Wolves than sitting on the bench here behind Blind and Shaw and playing the odd cup game
Blind wasn't in the frame for the LB position when CBJ was sent out on loan and some could argue that, given Mourinho's reluctance to play Carrick, we need Blind in more in midfield than at LB. Whatever the reasoning behind its still a shambles that Mourinho finds it sensible to waste minutes on Rojo instead of developing a player like Tuanzebe who has a long term future here and is arguably more useful now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Watched him for England U20. He started at DM. I wasn't overly impressed as he didn't seem to show for the ball enough. Did some good defensive work in his own box though.

Holland were poor and didn't even have a shot at goal in the first half, Axel shut out their best move by tracking his man and muscling him out of a goal scoring opportunity.

The two centre backs were very solid so the depth looks good in that position.
I'm a huge fan of Tuanzebe, and playing in midfield should do him good. My biggest worry about him is his lack of confidence in his own abilities. To often he takes the easy way out of situations where he could make use of his abilties instead. In my opinion a good manager could turn him into a world class player.

red_john

Im surprised he hasn't had a few minutes this season. Can anybody update me on his and Ro-Shaun Williams situation? These two are our most promising youth players.

Status
Not open for further replies.