Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Right now the Tuanzebe v Lindelof comparison doesn't look too clever for Mourinho; though it may soon change. The worst part of it is that United claim to be a club that prides itself in bringing through its own players.
If Lindelof stayed at Benfica, just by playing Tuanzebe he could be our own Lindelof. Young, modern CB with composure and ball playing skills, with Tuanzebe also being super fast and very strong. But Lindelof will hopefully come good and show what Mourinho apparently liked about him.

itso 7

Think we should flog Jones/Smalling and keep him in the first team.
This, makes sense at every level especially with Jones who struggles for fitness and who is at an age where he will earn us a tidy sum of money. Technically we lose nothing but the potential for immense gains on the pitch is very high imo.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Very impressive performance. He looked assured and ready. Made defending look so easy.

Dobbs

different era though. Not many top centre halves these days will be under 6ft
Think you've got it the wrong way round. Back then the centre half had to be good in the air. Today not so much. Our own roster of CB's being evidence.

Tuanzebe is plenty tall enough for a CB in today's game.

Rossa

We all tend to over-rate youngsters at our club. That's natural. But only rarely do you see someone who looks a class above his peers and completely at home with the first team. I think Tuanzebe fits in this category.
Agree with this. I actually think he's a bigger talent than Fosu-Mensah. He may not be as fast or as strong (who is anyways), but he is physically very good, and his reading of the game and calmness on the ball is beyond that of his age.

Blind

His composure is light years ahead of Smalling and Jones already, if we're playing three at the back he's the ideal third choice beside two more experienced players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agree with this. I actually think he's a bigger talent than Fosu-Mensah. He may not be as fast or as strong (who is anyways), but he is physically very good, and his reading of the game and calmness on the ball is beyond that of his age.
Fosu-Mensah is all physicality and monstrous in a one-on-one. A great talent in his own right, but as you say, Tuanzebe is just so much more well-rounded. The sample size is quite small, but so far I've seen no distinctive flaws in his game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We all tend to over-rate youngsters at our club. That's natural. But only rarely do you see someone who looks a class above his peers and completely at home with the first team. I think Tuanzebe fits in this category.
What I think sets him apart too is the fact he hasn't once looked fazed, which can be an issue for younger players, which indicates to me that he's able to perform well under pressure.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
different era though. Not many top centre halves these days will be under 6ft
How so? The dominant trend in football over the past decade has been the success of the Spanish teams playing wonderful possession, in large part driven by the Xavi-Iniesta and Kroos-Modric axes but ball-playing defenders like Ramos and Mascherano - who are both smaller than Tuanzebe - were an important part of that development. Surely if anything it's easier for smaller centre backs in that environment?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I hope he ends up a midfielder in the Javi Martinez mould.
Id like to see him as a centreback. He has intelligence, physicality and a good passing game, to have all three is so rare for a central defender I think he could be one of the very best.

RedCurry

I don't see any reason for us to compare Axel vs Lindelof. They are both our players. It's better that we have both instead of just one. With Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Rojo and Axel we are well covered in centre back position even considering the injuries we have or are likely to have.

Axel will get his chances this season I have no doubt. The busy part of the season around Dec-Feb, we'll need every player in the squad and it's great for us to have such a strong player on the fringes of the first team.

StonedhamsterZA

Think this guy is really exciting. Was good to see him for a few minutes tonight. Made some key interceptions and is quite physical without losing too much with his first touch.

Cannot wait to see him integrate into the first team (eventually) as a CD/DM.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Axel just has 'it.' Simple as.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
First teamer for England and United of the future.

Lentwood

This.

I have never been this impressed by young defender, I really hope he will get proper chance at United.
He will do, been touted as a proper player for years hasn't he. Don't forget our annual defensive crisis when Smalling and Jones inevitably hobble off together, Bailly gets banned and Rojo does something mental and disclocates something. Wouldn't be surprised if Axel ends up playing 20 games

Ephrem

Going to be one of the world's best at 23-24 if he stays out injury !

He is just the total package. Calm ,composed , damn good on the ball , physical , fast ... Haven't seen a young defender like him anywhere across Europe for the last 6-8 year's.

Jose is the best teacher when it comes to defense . He is looking like a beast already though and if he is not a first team player by 2019 then Jose and youth can't coexist !

Hopefully we will ditch two from Rojo , Smalling , Blind , Jones and give this kid proper chance next season . Baily , Rojo or Jones , Lindelof , Tuanzbe and Blind is enough I believe

Manny

Grammar Police
Even at left back this kid looks incredible. His ability to win the ball without going overboard was so impressive.

Can we just play him at left back?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
How to grow up within one pre-season tour. The more he plays, the better he gets and it shows.

Mickson

I like him a lot too. Wasn't fantastic in our reserve team last season imo though. I would like to see him being tested in the air, against big strikers in England, it's possibly his only weakness. Hopefully, he gets more chances under Mourinho, would be such a waste to see him in our reserve team or in the stands this season.

jb8521

Only a hype if you know him from just now. There are people who have watched him for years, even Sir Alex commented about him didnt he(not sure about this, can @khoazany @jb8521 confirm) So no, it's not really a hype.
Don't remember Ferguson commenting on him but there was something in the redissue fanzine about a lot of people within the club expecting him to be part of our defence for years

Devil may care

Agreed, his composure and awareness for such a young player is impressive, he looks special.

prath92

Defensively excellent and top class on the ball. Should really sell one of our CBs and keep him imo.

barmyarmy

Its very difficult to look good being played out of position and coming on for few minutes, he makes defending look pretty easy. Right from his early youth days he was being compare to Rio until now the guy is living upto that.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Crikey, people need to chill a bit. Love the guy too but the hype is getting a little silly.
It was said in the RI magazine back in 2014(during LvG's first season) that United's coaching staff see Rojo/Tuanzebe as United's centerback pairing for a long time.

The hype isn't new.

Akshay

Staff
I'd like him to go on loan this season. We've seen what regular playing time can do for a young player like Pereira, and Tuanzebe's not going to get that here with the number of defenders we have. He has the potential to become a useful player for us but he won't get there through reserve football.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Crikey, people need to chill a bit. Love the guy too but the hype is getting a little silly.
He looks special - if he was coming through at Barca etc I'd be well jealous. Out of all the youngsters we have if I'd had to pin my hopes on one home grown youngster becoming a world class star it would be him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd make a prediction and say that Jose will sell Smalling and Blind, raising some money for Bale deal and eventually Tuanzebe will be a squad member this season.

Dazzmondo

Looked very solid when he came on against Sampdoria. Thought he looked very good against Valerenga too but again wasn't given enough time. Shame Jose hasn't given him more mins because he's performed well whenever he did play imo. Think he'll be involved in league cup games and that'll be that for this season.

Classical Mechanic

It was said in the RI magazine back in 2014(during LvG's first season) that United's coaching staff see Rojo/Tuanzebe as United's centerback pairing for a long time.

The hype isn't new.
Saying he is our best defender currently or that he is the best defender coming through in Europe for the past 7 or 8 years is excessive. He hasn't played enough first team football for that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.