Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t remember these Smalling claims and I remember him getting minutes at RB a lot to bed him in.. that’s how you manage a squad. The coaching staff and Manager made the call on Pique and Evans and that had nothing to do with team performances as Pique was above him in the pecking order hence why Evans went out on loan. We sold Pique before Evans got minutes like that.. they was never physically against eachother so how does this example of sink or swim apply?

Basically you aren’t going to progress and expect every game to be Maldini esq. He’s really just not good at youth development.
He’s fine at youth development. The talent hasn’t been there, and when it has, players have played, like Mason. Others like Chong have had moments, and been poor. Williams, who is not a good player, got a proper look, but he got a proper look due to injury in a his position. You seem to think Axel should just be put in the team, in the absence of injury, and left there for a run of games - despite us having an established pairing in his role. His development has worked the same way development has always worked in football - he has gotten games in the rotation, and has had to make a claim. He hasn’t done that, and we are not in need anyway given we have an established pairing - so why would he just be given a run?

No young players at top clubs get out into a team for several games on end, when there are no injuries, and allowed to stay there regardless of how they perform. The likes of Saka, Smith-Rowe and Foden are examples of kids who have taken their opportunities, and gradually been given more. You seem to think our focus should be all about Tuanzebe, when it is him who has to grab the chance to have a career here, rather than a whole Manchester United making all the adjustments so that he has all the time he needs. The only way he will get this run of games you speak of at present is in an injury crisis. In the absence of one, he needs to take opportunities when they come, which is how it has worked in the game since forever. It is Axel who needs to prove himself worthy to play here, not the other way round. We owe him nothing, he owes it to himself if he wants to be a United player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes his performance wasn't positive but that happens with not much playing-time.
And with not much ability.

So what is your solution to this? Give him even more playing time because he was so bad? You do that with Marcus Rashford if he is playing poorly post injury, because he has shown certain levels before. Axel has shown nothing, and whenever he gets his chance to something, he typically shows nothing again, which explains his lack of playing time.

I don’t get how people are almost rewriting how this stuff has always worked. There’s a reason why Chong didn’t get 30 games last season. There’s also a reason why he got 5 or so, which is to show whether he was worthy of 10, and then so on. This is always how football has worked. Should we forever refuse to sell Chong until we give him 30 consecutive starts, no matter what? Tuanzebe’s lack of games is no mystery.

Eternitiy

I don’t remember these Smalling claims and I remember him getting minutes at RB a lot to bed him in.. that’s how you manage a squad. The coaching staff and Manager made the call on Pique and Evans and that had nothing to do with team performances as Pique was above him in the pecking order hence why Evans went out on loan. We sold Pique before Evans got minutes like that.. they was never physically against eachother so how does this example of sink or swim apply?

Basically you aren’t going to progress and expect every game to be Maldini esq. He’s really just not good at youth development.
Come on. Evans, Smalling, and Jones were far superior players at a younger age. They were called upon with regularity in some of the strongest sides Ferguson ever managed, and did not look out of place alongside Ferdinand or Vidic.

Tuanzebe is 23 and has hardly kicked a ball for us in a far inferior team. He will spend the majority of his career playing in the Championship.

Mainoldo

Come on. Evans, Smalling, and Jones were far superior players at a younger age. They were called upon with regularity in some of the strongest sides Ferguson ever managed, and did not look out of place alongside Ferdinand or Vidic.

Tuanzebe is 23 and has hardly kicked a ball for us in a far inferior team. He will spend the majority of his career playing in the Championship.
A lot of players looked good under Fergie and got minutes. Axel im still 50:50 on. As I’ve said before.. but the fact remains he isn’t getting enough minutes or being bedded in like how he would it say a Fergie was managing his game time.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
And with not much ability.

So what is your solution to this? Give him even more playing time because he was so bad? You do that with Marcus Rashford if he is playing poorly post injury, because he has shown certain levels before. Axel has shown nothing, and whenever he gets his chance to something, he typically shows nothing again, which explains his lack of playing time.

I don’t get how people are almost rewriting how this stuff has always worked. There’s a reason why Chong didn’t get 30 games last season. There’s also a reason why he got 5 or so, which is to show whether he was worthy of 10, and then so on. This is always how football has worked. Should we forever refuse to sell Chong until we give him 30 consecutive starts, no matter what? Tuanzebe’s lack of games is no mystery.
Have i said that he should start against Arsenal :confused:

I just don't understand why Solskjaer starts Tuanzebe in the Champions League opening match against Paris (He had a brilliant performance) but then he doesn't trust him in the next months.

And by the way Tuanzebe was not the main-reason for this defeat.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I just don't understand why Solskjaer starts Tuanzebe in the Champions League opening match against Paris (He had a brilliant performance) but then he doesn't trust him in the next months.
There's a difference between playing in a back three and our normal two man central defence. Two weeks after that PSG match he started next to Maguire against Basaksehir and was terrible, dragged off at halftime. That likely cost him more matches, especially since he's been average (at best) whenever he does get a chance.

ti vu

Have i said that he should start against Arsenal :confused:

And by the way Tuanzebe was not the main-reason for this defeat.
He started because we had no other option on that game. He then had his chances on that performance against the Turkish team, which is the catalyst of our downfall in CL.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
There's a difference between playing in a back three and our normal two man central defence. Two weeks after that PSG match he started next to Maguire against Basaksehir and was terrible, dragged off at halftime. That likely cost him more matches, especially since he's been average (at best) whenever he does get a chance.
Of course there is a difference but he was still brilliant in the away match against Paris.

Every player was totally awful in the away match against Basaksehir.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
He started because we had no other option on that game. He then had his chances on that performance against the Turkish team, which is the catalyst of our downfall in CL.
Every player was totally awful in the away match against Basaksehir and Tuanzebe had to leave the pitch because Solskjaer had the great idea to play Matic again in the defence.

ti vu

Every player was totally awful in the away match against Basaksehir and Tuanzebe had to leave the pitch because Solskjaer had the great idea to play Matic again in the defence.
Tuanzebe got booked, and the damage had been done in the first half. We tried to gamble in the second half, so the experienced players at the back with player in midfield and attack was preferred.

The point being in discussion is about Tuanzebe not showing enough to earn more game time.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ole gave him chance and player took a shit on it.

It happens, especially after how many defenders failed here after 2013.

Paul_Scholes18

Never seen it in him, but who knows players prove you wrong a lot of times.
It was in theory a good game to test him a bit since we should have won anyway.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What is that quote?

Attack wins your games but defenders wins you titles...or something similar.

Ole messed up today by making us weak at the back, the whole team looked scared with players like Matic playing deeper than he needed to be.

tjb

There's a reason why we have never developed centre backs. Tuanzebe hasa massive problem that match experience wouldn't fix, you can't play in this league if you can't win aerial duels. His consistent losses were the main reason SU even had any form of possession in our half. He consistently looked uncomfortable dealing with them. Lindelof is already bad enough, but when a fit Bailly played you could see the difference. Tuanzebe is far worse than Lindelof at dealing with them. He's fine for a bench role, but I don't see him making it here with that flaw.

Bebestation

Matic always does that. If anything he did it less than he often does.
I know he does and it's an aspect I value but I really felt like Matic could have been more involved in CM tonight but was sometimes acting like our 2nd CB (not 3rd CB as he normally does) because Tuenzebe was getting cut open and was found out of position at times too.

OmarUnited4ever

I am not sure what game everyone watched. the comments here feel as if Tuanzebe was at fault for both goals!!!

their 2 goals are: -

- 1st goal from a corner kick where Billy Sharp pushed a jumping De Gea, so we can't blame Tuanzebe on this.

- 2nd goal, Martial lost possession form a terrible pass from Matic, who advanced forward while Martial was receiving the ball with has back to goal and being under pressure, Telles went ahead as well, but Martial was dispossessed, and Sheffield United WALKED into our left flank with virtually no pressure, ball goes to Baldock, who crosses, but De Gea clears the ball poorly into Lundstram, who then again is not pressured and stood off by Martial & Matic who waited with their hands at their back!!! Lundstram took his sweet time to pass to Burke, who was in our box with no one marking him at all, Pogba & Bruno watched him!!!! Burke then a very tame shot that deflected off Tuanzebe and the ball went in.

Overall, he was ok as we dominated the ball a lot and they sat back very deep with 3 at back, he moved the ball as required and used his pace to cover areas when they attempted to counter, not much was required from him unlike who playmakers and attackers who had a horrid time, especially Rashford and Martial, and Bruno to some extent.

for this loss, I lay the blame at Martial & Rashford for their very bad performance.

Reactions: Sultan

A-man

I also have a feeling he doesn't combine well with Maguire, which is an issue since Maguire is obviously our main man back there.
Every player. Rings different things to the table. Even though Maguire is our overall best defender, he doesn’t seem to be the one that organises the defence and could be he is not the best to put behind an in experienced CB.

I still think we have played our collective defence whenever Lindelof has played, even when Maguire has been out (PSG away as example).

Ekeke

Lindelof, Bailly and Maguire make mistakes. So a mistake from Tuanzabe for the goal shouldnt dismiss the rest of his performance where overall it was a reputation enhancer - best he's played since PSG. Just with a black mark at the end. Absolutely worthy of more game time to try to put in the same performance without the deflected goal coming off him

EdinburghDevil

He didn't have a good night last night, but not many did.

Suspect he'll be pencilled in for the Europa League to get some game time and show if he is capable. Suspect that's when we will see more of the likes of VdB, possible Williams and I'm suspecting Diallo also.

Kostov

I always felt he's a bit overrated as a talent here on the cafe, even that season with Villa was hyped beyond merit. And so far he's still an enigma for me, he got caught up in a general feck up tonight and was unlucky with the goal.

Bebestation

Just last month he caused an own goal vs Leicester/vardy that I was not happy with. I felt at the time a player with quick reactions could stop that. Fine it was once.

Now another deflected goal vs Sheffield United.

Also misses the clear header from a corner that leads to the first goal.

I just dont see it with him.

Devil81

He's certainly got the ability in my opinion, the problem is were not good enough to have the luxury of giving him game time to develop as a player.

I'm afraid given the need for the tried and tested I think he would be better off looking to develop elsewhere, if he doesn't he's going to get to 25/26 and realise he's only really played a handful of games and thrown away his chances to develop into a potential international.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I am not sure what game everyone watched. the comments here feel as if Tuanzebe was at fault for both goals!!!

their 2 goals are: -

- 1st goal from a corner kick where Billy Sharp pushed a jumping De Gea, so we can't blame Tuanzebe on this.

- 2nd goal, Martial lost possession form a terrible pass from Matic, who advanced forward while Martial was receiving the ball with has back to goal and being under pressure, Telles went ahead as well, but Martial was dispossessed, and Sheffield United WALKED into our left flank with virtually no pressure, ball goes to Baldock, who crosses, but De Gea clears the ball poorly into Lundstram, who then again is not pressured and stood off by Martial & Matic who waited with their hands at their back!!! Lundstram took his sweet time to pass to Burke, who was in our box with no one marking him at all, Pogba & Bruno watched him!!!! Burke then a very tame shot that deflected off Tuanzebe and the ball went in.

Overall, he was ok as we dominated the ball a lot and they sat back very deep with 3 at back, he moved the ball as required and used his pace to cover areas when they attempted to counter, not much was required from him unlike who playmakers and attackers who had a horrid time, especially Rashford and Martial, and Bruno to some extent.

for this loss, I lay the blame at Martial & Rashford for their very bad performance.
Tuanzebe was static for the second goal, the blame could be laid at four or five players for that second goal, Tuanzebe is most definitely one of them.
Static defending, on his heels to busy trying to get in line with Maguire, despite being in the six yard box(!), Poor all round.
Had he taken one step further forward the shot would never have come in. Or better still, had he not been too busy in looking behind him constantly, he could have led the line and called Telles to get tighter.
Tuanzebe is most definitely at fault.

A-man

Lindelof, Bailly and Maguire make mistakes. So a mistake from Tuanzabe for the goal shouldnt dismiss the rest of his performance where overall it was a reputation enhancer - best he's played since PSG. Just with a black mark at the end. Absolutely worthy of more game time to try to put in the same performance without the deflected goal coming off him
For me it was not his mistakes, I think he was quite poor overall and the defence looked like a couple of individuals instead of a unit.
Except one season where he played half the matches in Championship, he hasn't had any continuity at all. We can't really expect more if he doesn't play. I think there were some good parts as well. He had 2-3 good tackles in important situations and I don't think he was as bad with the ball as some make out. If Bailly and Lindelof stay fit enough to play, it will be very tough for him to get the needed minutes at this time, though.

Classical Mechanic

For me it was not his mistakes, I think he was quite poor overall and the defence looked like a couple of individuals instead of a unit.
Except one season where he played half the matches in Championship, he hasn't had any continuity at all. We can't really expect more if he doesn't play. I think there were some good parts as well. He had 2-3 good tackles in important situations and I don't think he was as bad with the ball as some make out. If Bailly and Lindelof stay fit enough to play, it will be very tough for him to get the needed minutes at this time, though.
Tend to agree. Hard to see how he develops at United with the lack of continuity and when the games are very high pressure at the moment.

OmarUnited4ever

Tuanzebe was static for the second goal, the blame could be laid at four or five players for that second goal, Tuanzebe is most definitely one of them.
Static defending, on his heels to busy trying to get in line with Maguire, despite being in the six yard box(!), Poor all round.
Had he taken one step further forward the shot would never have come in. Or better still, had he not been too busy in looking behind him constantly, he could have led the line and called Telles to get tighter.
Tuanzebe is most definitely at fault.

I could agree to your take to some degree, but the failure in defending started at the fact that Lundstram was stood off by 3 players and he had all the time in world to pass to Burke, poor defending from the group.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Istanbul, Leicester, and now Sheffield. That’s 3 games in which I can remember him being genuinely bad this season. When you play such little football — especially at CB — you have to take the chances you’re given. Don’t think he has, and I don’t think Ole will rely on him much more again.

arnie_ni

According to sky he's been racially abused on social media. Unacceptable

GueRed

axel is a championship defender im afraid....

he's out of his depth at this level

AFC NimbleThumb

According to sky he's been racially abused on social media. Unacceptable
Anyone claiming to be genuinely surprised are as deluded as the folk giving me sh*t in the Pogba thread earlier this week when I highlighted the abuse Rashford, Pogba, Lakaku have received.

It’s become a trend when certain players don’t ‘play well’.

BFernandes

Just last month he caused an own goal vs Leicester/vardy that I was not happy with. I felt at the time a player with quick reactions could stop that. Fine it was once.

Now another deflected goal vs Sheffield United.

Also misses the clear header from a corner that leads to the first goal.

I just dont see it with him.
Exactly this.

The once a season wonder performance against PSG doesn't cut it for me. He has never looked a solid figure in the league for us. I was furious with the Leicester goal and I'm even more so with his performance tonight. Then there was that Arsenal guff he made at Old Trafford last season, he has never ever convinced me and I just don't see it long term either.

If that was Bailly tonight he closes down the attacker for the second goal and throws his whole body at it, not a lazy half-assed attempt to block.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The worst part is we had people openly declaring as far back as summer 2019 that he should be our first choice centre half, which highlights the problem and blindspot some fans have when it comes to youth players. They were in love with the idea more than the player standing in front of them, who I’m sure they hadn’t actually had a decent look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.