Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This game might have cost him quite some time on the side lines. He always look composed, but today it was a bit too much.

Obviously has quality, but you need to perform when given the chance.
He doesn’t always look composed, clearly, and on what basis is his quality ‘obvious’?

One more thing. He did sit off for the 2nd goal and he did have one or two other unconvincing moments. But he also made 6 tackles and 1 interception, 1 blocked shot and 3 aerials won. Which is one of the bigger workloads we've had from a CB this season. So he was more aggressive in terms of winning the ball than our CBs usually are and had success with that side of things.
Here comes Ekeke with his calculator. Just watch a fecking football match with your eyes for once mate!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I am going to defend the guy. We played Lindelöf constantly through all sorts of clangers but he kept his place in the team. Slowly he got ok-ish but Alex gets a game once in a blue moon and he is supposed to look like Thuram and Maldinis love child.

He did a lot of things well tonight got in front of his man and won the ball couple of times, tracked back with pace, covered runners and passed the ball reasonably well. He lost the header for the goal but almost any keeper in the league punches it away apart from soft hands. Second goal again the keeper fluffs the clearance and the whole defence switches off but he is the only one trying to defend the guy that all the players are leaving wide open and gets unlucky with the deflection.

He needs games and trust I at least see a very promising defender in him.
This.

I said the same thing before he became a part of the squad under Ole. People are not gonna afford him the patience we afforded Lindelof. To get fully accustomed to playing with a group of players he needs a run of games which he hasn't got mainly due to injury and then due to others establishing themselves in a low block. But Ole and the coaching staff rate him highly and it's their opinion that counts.

arthurka

Fair post. I and a few others have unfairly blown a gasket on him tonight, but for me he doesn't look a starting senior CB just yet. I'd be more comfortable having him fill in at RB for now; I don't like him in the air and his passing was ponderous this evening.
He played a binder Vs PSG and of course should have gotten a couple of games on the back of that but instead he got benched and Ole gave others a chance to show their disaster class game after game. That just kills your confidence and gets you doubting things. I didn't think he covered himself in glory but he just looked uncomfortable and shaky. According to Ole before the match Bailly should have played but got a kick in training that's why he got the slot. Not like he was being prepared the whole week.

I just think he should at least get a decent run of games before he gets slaughtered, we have given other players plenty of time to showcase their shittyness and some even have fan clubs on this platform.

Mainoldo

Villa fans rate him so highly... so I’m still 50:50. I feel it’s just a lack of game time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He played a binder Vs PSG and of course should have gotten a couple of games on the back of that but instead he got benched and Ole gave others a chance to show their disaster class game after game. That just kills your confidence and gets you doubting things. I didn't think he covered himself in glory but he just looked uncomfortable and shaky. According to Ole before the match Bailly should have played but got a kick in training that's why he got the slot. Not like he was being prepared the whole week.

I just think he should at least get a decent run of games before he gets slaughtered, we have given other players plenty of time to showcase their shittyness and some even have fan clubs on this platform.
Why the feck would we arbitrarily just decide to give Tuanzebe a ‘run of games’, when he is terrible almost every time he plays? We have a number of options too, we are not compelled to play him.

This ridiculous youth player attachment caused people to abandon logic. It is him who should be forcing a run of games not us giving it to him because we like him because he’s been here since 8.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Aye. It feels like with one thing another he's had a stop-start senior career generally. I don't see him getting a run at CB ahead of Bailly or Lindelof though.

Mickson

He trains ffs, he shouldn't be that shit at the fecking basics!
Have you ever played football? Not trying to be funny, but it's entirely different playing games and training. You can't really be that prepared just from training. You need games, which he can't get. Especially as a CB where it's all about timing.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Woefully out of his depth. His sorry ass has cost us 5 points in the two games he has had significant minutes in recently.

Keep him as far away from the PL games as possible. Praying Lindelof can stay fit until the summer.

arthurka

Why the feck would we arbitrarily just decide to give Tuanzebe a ‘run of games’, when he is terrible almost every time he plays? We have a number of options too, we are not compelled to play him.

This ridiculous youth player attachment caused people to abandon logic. It is him who should be forcing a run of games not us giving it to him because we like him because he’s been here since 8.
Really..

Why should we keep on playing Lindelöf for two seasons being constantly shit? He isn't a youth product.. Or Shaw who was rotten and overweight season after season..

Fred was crap have after game.
Martial plays games after game for 90min being constantly shit.

But yes give Alex a handful of games here and there and expect him to light up the place just because he is a youth product.

Not getting into a debate just think we should cut the kid some slack.

Aye. It feels like with one thing another he's had a stop-start senior career generally. I don't see him getting a run at CB ahead of Bailly or Lindelof though.
No I agree but we shouldn't then get our knickers in a twist when he is walking on eggshells every time he gets a chance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Villa fans rate him so highly... so I’m still 50:50. I feel it’s just a lack of game time.
That’s an easy answer. Why does he have a lack of game time? He has a lack of games because he is continually unimpressive when he plays. He was given game time today. Do you think we should play him next game, ahead of better performing players based on what he showed?

Villa can take him back if they rate him so highly. He played in the Championship, and was nothing special either. The bar is significantly higher here. At 23 he needs to be much better. Konate, Upamecano, Kabak, De Ligt, Fofana and more are all younger, and better than him. Yet United should have Tuanzebe as our solution? These are the types of players I see people wanting us to sign, and they are already younger and better than Axel.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Really..

Why should we keep on playing Lindelöf for two seasons being constantly shit? He isn't a youth product.. Or Shaw who was rotten and overweight season after season..

Fred was crap have after game.
Martial plays games after game for 90min being constantly shit.

But yes give Alex a handful of games here and there and expect him to light up the place just because he is a youth product.

Not getting into a debate just think we should cut the kid some slack.
Those players are playing because they have shown something in the first place, hence us buying them. Axel has never shown a level to suggest he should be a centre half here, and we’d never have bought him based on his average season in the Championship.

What you are not grasping is that we are not ‘giving Axel a handful of games here and there’. That is as much as he has earned for himself, and that will continue, due to him continuing to be rubbish.

Mainoldo

That’s an easy answer. Why does he have a lack of game time? He has a lack of games because he is continually unimpressive when he plays. He was given game time today. Do you think we should play him next game, ahead of better performing players based on what he showed?

Villa can take him back if they rate him so highly. He played in the Championship, and was nothing special either. The bar is significantly higher here. At 23 he needs to be much better. Konate, Upamecano, Kabak, De Ligt, Fofana and more are all younger, and better than him. Yet United should have Tuanzebe as our solution? These are the types of players I see people wanting us to sign, and they are already younger and better than Axel.
Fofana has come in and played everyweek at Leicester not Man City. Kabak plays for Seville and De Ligt has been a failure at top level Juve. So I ask you has he had enough games? Playing 80 mins every now and then is not going to improve you. Either we believe in him or we don’t. Don’t not buy a defender because you ‘believe’ in him but don’t play him.

G-MUFC

I was really surprised at how poor he was tonight. The Sheffield United attackers found it so easy to win and hold up the ball against him. Really not what we need, especially when Liverpool have VVD and now City have Dias. We're miles behind defensively.
I think the PSG performance really went to this guy's head. Since then he's been easily bullied by an old Demba Ba and relegation strikers - pretty grim.

Reactions: golden_blunder

arthurka

Those players are playing because they have shown something in the first place, hence us buying them. Axel has never shown a level to suggest he should be a centre half here, and we’d never have bought him based on his average season in the Championship.

What you are not grasping is that we are not ‘giving Axel a handful of games here and there’. That is as much as he has earned for himself, and that will continue, due to him continuing to be rubbish.
Glad you are not managing Utd that's for sure.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fofana has come in and played everyweek at Leicester not Man City. Kabak plays for Seville and De Ligt has been a failure at top level Juve. So I ask you has he had enough games? Playing 80 mins every now and then is not going to improve you. Either we believe in him or we don’t. Don’t not buy a defender because you ‘believe’ in him but don’t play him.
It depends what you consider ‘enough’. Has Tahith Chong had ‘enough’ games at United, or should we bring him back in the summer and ‘give him a run’ in the team?

Axel has not had more games because he hasn’t earned them. Otherwise every academy player should be left in the team for two years before selling them, regardless of what happens, because only then will we know. Axel has had as many games as he deserves. I mean, he didn’t ‘deserve’ one tonight, but every now and then, he’ll get one to show if he can handle more. And usually, he doesn’t perform. Which in otself is okay, because not everyone is good enough to play for United. With Axel, it is not as if we are using some sort of previous form, or even loan form, as a reference for giving him these games. He is 23, has been in senior football for 5 years, and is yet to show that he is a centre half that belongs at United. Why should we keep playing him? Based on his academy form at 18?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Glad you are not managing Utd that's for sure.
As am I. So what.

I’m sure if you were we would be starting Tuanzebe, Williams and McTominay every week until they are 25 just so we can be sure.

A-man

Played like an 19 year old in his debut match and looking at his match experience, that is where he is. If we want him to success he must be treated as someone who just made his his second PL start as CB (because that is what it was) and not as a 23 year old. He had a poor game and it was unlucky for him that everybody else had a poor game too. I personally found his passing decent and he had some good tackles but that’s about it.

How on earth has he gone from pocketing two of the best in the world to being owned by the worst team in the league
Imo he was good against PSG because he got a straight forward task and he didn’t need to make any decisions. He could use his good speed and good tackle ability and our other 7 men on the defence would take care of the rest. I’m not saying this to talk down his performance because he executed it perfectly. But it was a straight forward and not a very complex task.
Matches after that have been different.

NinjaFletch

He isn't going to make it. We can give him three years of him playing 4 times a season before we flog him to Newcastle for a pittance, or we can look to cash in and let him have a decent career playing regularly elsewhere - maybe we can chuck in a buy back clause if we really need to.

I'd love us to be romantic and for it to work out, but I think it's better for all involved if we look to move him on at the end of the season rather than waste his career struggling to sit on our bench.

AFC NimbleThumb

I am going to defend the guy. We played Lindelöf constantly through all sorts of clangers but he kept his place in the team. Slowly he got ok-ish but Alex gets a game once in a blue moon and he is supposed to look like Thuram and Maldinis love child.

He did a lot of things well tonight got in front of his man and won the ball couple of times, tracked back with pace, covered runners and passed the ball reasonably well. He lost the header for the goal but almost any keeper in the league punches it away apart from soft hands. Second goal again the keeper fluffs the clearance and the whole defence switches off but he is the only one trying to defend the guy that all the players are leaving wide open and gets unlucky with the deflection.

He needs games and trust I at least see a very promising defender in him.
Reasonable take.

The CB next to him had one of the worst CB performances I can remember in a United shirt versus Spurs a few months ago so it’s hardly fair to slate the guy after pulling him in & out of the team.

GledTheRed

Have you ever played football? Not trying to be funny, but it's entirely different playing games and training. You can't really be that prepared just from training. You need games, which he can't get. Especially as a CB where it's all about timing.
Jesus yes of course i have ffs for 30 odd years.

Tuanzebe shits himself when he plays and it affects his ability to do the basics, he's not up to the level.

Mainoldo

It depends what you consider ‘enough’. Has Tahith Chong had ‘enough’ games at United, or should we bring him back in the summer and ‘give him a run’ in the team?

Axel has not had more games because he hasn’t earned them. Otherwise every academy player should be left in the team for two years before selling them, regardless of what happens, because only then will we know. Axel has had as many games as he deserves. I mean, he didn’t ‘deserve’ one tonight, but every now and then, he’ll get one to show if he can handle more. And usually, he doesn’t perform. Which in otself is okay, because not everyone is good enough to play for United. With Axel, it is not as if we are using some sort of previous form, or even loan form, as a reference for giving him these games. He is 23, has been in senior football for 5 years, and is yet to show that he is a centre half that belongs at United. Why should we keep playing him? Based on his academy form at 18?
Understandable not everyone is good enough. But we are talking about Axel we are aware of how much the club rate him and have rated him over the years. If you want to see how you develop these players look at Evans and Smalling just for examples. We haven’t done non of that and that’s why he looks the way he does. He needs minutes. Either you believe in him or your don’t. There’s too much sink and swimming with our young squad players.

Zoo

How on earth has he gone from pocketing two of the best in the world to being owned by the worst team in the league
Because he was playing in a 3 where his role was specific. He’s a great athlete and comfortable on the ball but as a conventional CB he doesn’t seem to have the fundamentals and that’s worrying.

croadyman

Played like an 19 year old in his debut match and looking at his match experience, that is where he is. If we want him to success he must be treated as someone who just made his his second PL start as CB (because that is what it was) and not as a 23 year old. He had a poor game and it was unlucky for him that everybody else had a poor game too. I personally found his passing decent and he had some good tackles but that’s about it.

Imo he was good against PSG because he got a straight forward task and he didn’t need to make any decisions. He could use his good speed and good tackle ability and our other 7 men on the defence would take care of the rest. I’m not saying this to talk down his performance because he executed it perfectly. But it was a straight forward and not a very complex task.
Matches after that have been different.
Don't mind him as a backup after the summer but surely tonight shows how much we simply have to buy some proper leadership in that defence alongside Maguire because he certainly doesn't possess that himself

izec

Completely mismanaged. Has no confidence and chucking him in once a month wont help him. Sell him with buy back or play him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Understandable not everyone is good enough. But we are talking about Axel we are aware of how much the club rate him and have rated him over the years. If you want to see how you develop these players look at Evans and Smalling just for examples. We haven’t done non of that and that’s why he looks the way he does. He needs minutes. Either you believe in him or your don’t. There’s too much sink and swimming with our young squad players.
Well there isn’t enough ‘swim’ from Axel, which is my problem. The games you speak of are not charity. We are a big club, we have options. It is Axel that needs to demand more games. That isn’t what he did tonight, or the last time, or the last time.

Evans and Smalling were far more impressive when put into the team than Axel has been, which is why they played more, particularly Evans given Smalling was a £10m signing so would always get a chance anyway. I appreciate they rate him highly. They also rate Lindelöf highly, and Bailly highly. So why would Axel just be given a run of games?

Alfie092

Has had more poor games than good. Saying that, I would like to see him playing more before I fully decide if I want him gone or not.

Mainoldo

Well there isn’t enough ‘swim’ from Axel, which is my problem. The games you speak of are not charity. We are a big club, we have options. It is Axel that needs to demand more games. That isn’t what he did tonight, or the last time, or the last time.

Evans and Smalling were far more impressive when put into the team than Axel has been, which is why they played more, particularly Evans given Smalling was a £10m signing so would always get a chance anyway. I appreciate they rate him highly. They also rate Lindelöf highly, and Bailly highly. So why would Axel just be given a run of games?
Chris Smalling wasn’t very impressive. Johnny Evans wasn’t no Rio or Vidic. They still got games it’s also how you manage a squad. It’s not for us to decide if a player is good enough but as a manager if you believe in them you give them games. What I get from Ole is he doesn’t believe in anyone but his first 11. I don’t think it’s the case he doesn’t believe in them. He just doesn’t know how to use them.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Him and Maguire made Demba Ba look like Ronaldo. The lowest rated outfield player after Mata on whoscored and was pulled out at HT after having picked up a yellow. Caf gave him a 3.4/10.
You specifically blamed Tuanzebe for both goals in Turkey, so quoting what score he got from the caf is pointless. He was not responsible for either goal regardless of how well or poorly he played.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Chris Smalling wasn’t very impressive. Johnny Evans wasn’t no Rio or Vidic. They still got games it’s also how you manage a squad. It’s not for us to decide if a player is good enough but as a manager if you believe in them you give them games. What I get from Ole is he doesn’t believe in anyone but his first 11. I don’t think it’s the case he doesn’t believe in them. He just doesn’t know how to use them.
Chris Smalling was very impressive in his first season. As was Evans, hence us selling Pique. Even on here it was pretty unanimous at the time with both players, Smalling was christened ‘Smallingbauer’ and had several standout games.

And yes, it’s about managing a squad. That’s why you give fringe players games in cups and here and there, and the rest is up to them. Axel has not taken his. ‘Managing a squad’ surely isn’t just about taking a regular out of the team and giving a squad player a ‘run of games’ just because. What about your established first choice?

Andersons Dietician

Always wondered why this guy was so highly rated on the CAF but the more I see of him the more I’m convinced he has been vastly Overrated by the CAF scouting network. Doesn’t seem to have anything bar pace. There were moments in today’s game where I was wishing Phil Jones was fit so we didn’t have to play Tuanzebe. Just awful.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
You don't need to be a top-quality defender in these types of games. You only need to defend on a few occasions. My gripe is his sideways and back passes tonight despite having space in front. We got rid of Smalling due to his lack of quality with the ball. Tuanzebe really needs to improve his quality on the ball. Coming out with the ball was a major issue tonight. Ole and the coaches recognised this and tried Matic. However, the damage was already done.

SAFMUTD

He's living out of that PSG game, each time he plays it seems more and more as if it was a lucky strike.

He's been awful, no matter if he hasn't played much this performances are as shit. I say we move him in the summer he's 23 so not really a youngster anymore he should be proving much more by now.

R'hllor

I kid you not, people act here like we have no mercy when it comes to performances of our CBs, he was poor tonight but he shouldnt expect to see a game anytime soon until he reaches high standards of our other CBs, now thats funny.

Mainoldo

Chris Smalling was very impressive in his first season. As was Evans, hence us selling Pique. Even on here it was pretty unanimous at the time with both players, Smalling was christened ‘Smallingbauer’ and had several standout games.

And yes, it’s about managing a squad. That’s why you give fringe players games in cups and here and there, and the rest is up to them. Axel has not taken his. ‘Managing a squad’ surely isn’t just about taking a regular out of the team and giving a squad player a ‘run of games’ just because. What about your established first choice?
I don’t remember these Smalling claims and I remember him getting minutes at RB a lot to bed him in.. that’s how you manage a squad. The coaching staff and Manager made the call on Pique and Evans and that had nothing to do with team performances as Pique was above him in the pecking order hence why Evans went out on loan. We sold Pique before Evans got minutes like that.. they was never physically against eachother so how does this example of sink or swim apply?

Basically you aren’t going to progress and expect every game to be Maldini esq. He’s really just not good at youth development.

Status
Not open for further replies.