Balkan Discussion

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Quite curious how you can be deemed a Russian shill for having Yugoslavian roots. Think this thread is a bit racist.

Good reminder of why I steer clear of politics on the internet

Last edited:

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Are the roots both your parents moving from Kosovo/Serbia to France?

I mean, that’s fine. Most Serbians I know who are born outside of Serbia, still consider themselves Serbian, or at least partially Serbian. Same as how Dua Lipa is Albanian/Kosovan despite being born and raised in London.

I do not see any issue with this, but for the sake of argument, I think it was dishonest to say you’re French (despite being correct) cause that was put in the context of not having skin on this game. Which you obviously do.
Yes

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am 100% sure that you have mentioned before that you are a Serb. Even went to Kosovo at some stage at some monestery. Unless I’ve got Alzheimer’s.

I remember you recently mentioning that you live in France, so thought that you just moved there and maybe have a French passport.
Yes, you are correct. Long time redcafe members remember that. But perhaps he's really into France now, the beret wearing, croissant and baguette munching, bike riding frenchie. Should devote more time to french causes though.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Yes, you are correct. Long time redcafe members remember that. But perhaps he's really into France now, the beret wearing, croissant and baguette munching, bike riding frenchie. Should devote more time to french causes though.
I spend most of my time on French issues, thanks

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It’s really interesting watching people who have been caught out, desperately trying to salvage the situation.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
It’s really interesting watching people who have been caught out, desperately trying to salvage the situation.
I could have deleted those posts if I wanted to. Unless you are writing about yourself and your inability to back up your points.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So are you arguing that Kosovo should be given back to Serbia or that Putin should be freely allowed to annex part of Ukraine due to the ethnic mix there or ????

And the reference to a vote for Crimea to leave Ukraine is a bit disingenuous, as the vote wasn't recognised as free or fair by almost everyone. Not having the option to remain part of Ukraine was a bit of a giveaway.

AfonsoAlves

How were the secession movements in Luhansk and Donetsk anywhere close to resembling the Balkanization process.

Nobody in Luhansk and Donestsk wanted to be part of Russia, there was a seperatist movement, yes but with the aid of people of Strelkov and little green men that suddenly went full violent in 2014. It wasn't organic like, say, the Catalonian independence movement.

Fast forward, and Luhansk and Donetsk were still allied with Russia under the guise that they would get their own Republics out of it. Only, Russia decided to annex them as occupied regions.

Those regions did have secession movements yes, but nobody wanted to be a part of Russia.

Charlie Foley

He's clearly French you see, no connection to Serbia whatsoever except if you are a long time member of redcafe and remember his previous postings. He's credible like all Russian shills @DT12 style.
Don't lose your time with him.
genuinely hilarious. Great work! He skipped past his 2013 posts to find that 1853 quote :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
How were the secession movements in Luhansk and Donetsk anywhere close to resembling the Balkanization process.

Nobody in Luhansk and Donestsk wanted to be part of Russia, there was a seperatist movement, yes but with the aid of people of Strelkov and little green men that suddenly went full violent in 2014. It wasn't organic like, say, the Catalonian independence movement.

Fast forward, and Luhansk and Donetsk were still allied with Russia under the guise that they would get their own Republics out of it. Only, Russia decided to annex them as occupied regions.

Those regions did have secession movements yes, but nobody wanted to be a part of Russia.
Yep, close to no similarities.

- First of all, the Luhansk/Donestsk are not a different ethnicity to Ukrainians. Albanians are a different nation to Serbians, that's why basically Serbians did an ethnic cleansing in Kosovo.
- There is some analogy between Ukraine - Russia negotiations (Minsk agreement) and the Rambouillet conference, I must admit. By the way, if Serbia/Yugoslavia accepted the Rambouillet agreement (which was giving substantial autonomy to Kosovo), there was no way Kosovo ever becomes independent.
- There is nothing similar to Ahtiisari negotiations in Russia-Ukraine. For my Serbian friends who love to forget it (@Nani Nana), Ahtiisari talks were a series of negotiations (lasted over 2 years) where the Serbian and Kosovo leaders were met to come with a solution. It was done with an UN mandate. It was supposed to be final. It was supposed to be a compromise. It was supposed that the Ahtiisari recommendation was going to be final and accepted by all sides. Except, at the last moment Serbia and Russia backed down and said 'nah, we do not accept anything'. Because from the beginning, similar to Rambouillet conference, they were not negotiating in good faith. For them the entire negotiations was just to postpone everything indefinitely, instead of coming to a solution.
- Oh, Kosovo's declaration of independence was sent to the international court justice, under a UN mandate, with Serbia asking for it. The court said that there was no breaking of the international law. Serbia said, 'we do not care' again. Basically, everything that Serbia has done in negotiations, that in some form or another have been going for over 25 years has been to buy time, with the hope that something changes. When the Serbian want Kosovo back, I always ask them if they are ok with genocide and ethnic cleansing. Because if they ever get it back, that is the only way. To their credit (honesty points), many admit to be ok with it. Which isn't surprising, many (including their president and prime minister and pretty much everyone in their government) still deny Srebrenica genocide.
- But most importantly, and the thing there is completely opposite in these two situations, the last time I checked Kosovo did not become the 51st US state. Kosovo was always about independence and freedom. Crimea, Luhansk and Donestsk was never about that, no one there wanted to become free and independent. Instead, it was a territorial grab from Russia, invading another country and getting parts of it. It was something that hasn't happened in Europe since the second world war.

So, I find this analogy a bit stupid. I think it is possible to draw some analogies between say Catalonia and Kosovo (if for example Catalonia actually started an insurrection, and Spain started massacring them), but between Kosovo and Ukraine. Sorry, no such thing.