Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hilarious to see the same people who were desperate for Modric to win it over Ronaldo last year completely changing their arguments to conclude Van Dijk winning it over Messi would be a big disgrace.
Do you keep track of these things?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They will give it to Salah this season I think. They like to compensate things. Modric didn't deserve it, I agree. Also Salah doesn't deserve it but still. There's no way VVD will get it. If not Salah then Messi and CR will be biggest favourites IMO. Messi will win it for sure if they win Copa America.
Wish they had been consistent with this procedure instead of applying varying criteria from season to season. Sometimes they give it to the best, sometimes to the most successful player.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I never said Ronaldo should be in for the Balon Dor - I said the guy did well in the league and no one talks about him for the Balon d'or.

What about Van Dijk or Salah? I think Mane & Salah were joint top scorers in the PL & they won the CL final whilst being a point off the title. Messi for me didn't win all that much to go home with a Balon d'or - that thing almost resonates with the CL winners or a world Cup. I can only think about 5 players abouts 20 years back where players won it due to a non CL win/purely league or Cup performances. I don't see why it should just suddenly change for Messi after others hit a greater success than him on the field.
I think winning a domestic double and reaching the semi's in the CL is a pretty good season for most clubs.

Gehrman

Well then strikers & forwards are better than defenders & goalkeepers then because they play a more eye catching attackingly influenced game that allows them to show their skillful abilities alongside passing & shooting. Is that right? It shouldn't be because all players have a different set of skills and therefore such awards are based around importance. To base an award around Importance it's hard not to suddenly consider the importance of winning the big trophies is it? That's how someone becomes important & there is more important players to me in the world for their respective teams than Messi this season.

Slightly changing subject, People act like Ronaldo is some rubbish footballer compared to Messi just because he concentrates on power and direct force whilst Messi has a bit more finesse. I've seen plenty things that Messi can't do that Ronaldo has done with amazing ability & vice versa never mind talking about players from different positions.

Anyway, this can be talked about in the Ronaldo v Messi thread but ultimately I don't see why Messi should win the Balon Dor this season - more important players exist for this seasons historical covering than what some lad did in some semi finals or against Getafe & Co.

P's. I saw Ronaldo grow in to a beast from being a Kid. Sometimes I wonder what Messi would have been without the growth hormone injections he got for moving to Barcelona as a kid :yawn:
He would probably be a way more extreme midget than he is now. Treating a growth hormone defiency should restores a person with defiency to normal levels. It doesn't make you super human, it gives you normal hormone levels.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Messi has been the best player in Europe, again, so he should win it. Bernardo should come second. The man won five trophies this season as well as Manchester City's player of the season, and the Nations League player of the tournament. What more can he do ffs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Messi has been the best player in Europe, again, so he should win it. Bernardo should come second. The man won five trophies this season as well as Manchester City's player of the season, and the Nations League player of the tournament. What more can he do ffs.
Play for the underdog Liverpool

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think I’d have Van Dijk, Bernardo Silva and then Messi with Sterling/Mane fourth and Ronaldo completing the top six.

Van Dijk has been imperious, his team won the CL and it’s about time someone not attacking won it.

Fridge chutney

This is a good about. He has been fantastic.

VanKenny

I think I’d have Van Dijk, Bernardo Silva and then Messi with Sterling/Mane fourth and Ronaldo completing the top six.

Van Dijk has been imperious, his team won the CL and it’s about time someone not attacking won it.

Bernardo Silva ahead of Messi :lol:.

Ive seen it all.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Messi is the better individual player, but Liverpool are much, much worse without Van Dijk.

Van Dijk is as important to Liverpool as a team glue, as Messi is important to Barcelona as an individualist.

I'd vote for Messi

Gehrman

VVD has been class as a defender, but could you imagine anyone else scoring over 50 goals, assists galore, being CL topscorer not winning ballon D'or if it wasn't Ronaldo or Messi?

Messi's record this year just seems a bit underwhelming because we are used to him and Ronaldo doing it. He deserves to win for it sure. VVD coming 2nd is admirable. Just ask yourself who's the best player in the world in 2019 so far? Messi or VVD? I think Modric winning it last time is sentimental enough. We don't need another sentimental Ballon D'or.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
VVD has been class as a defender, but could you imagine anyone else scoring over 50 goals, assists galore, being CL topscorer not winning ballon D'or if it wasn't Ronaldo or Messi?

Messi's record this year just seems a bit underwhelming because we are used to him and Ronaldo doing it. He deserves to win for it sure. VVD coming 2nd is admirable. Just ask yourself who's the best player in the world in 2019 so far? Messi or VVD? I think Modric winning it last time is sentimental enough. We don't need another sentimental Ballon D'or.
His own ridiculous standards are used against him this season, which is kinda understandable. They're bored of him.

Treble

People are bored of Messi/Ronaldo, hence Modric winning it last year and VVD the likely winner this year.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can´t be someone else than Messi. It´s an individual award.

Gehrman

Argentina are mediocre with him.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
And they are completely shit without him. Couldn't even qualify for the WC if he didn't come back from retirement.

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
To be fair, this VAR bloke is getting more and more mentions every week. I think he'll win it.

SharpshooterTom

People are bored of Messi/Ronaldo, hence Modric winning it last year and VVD the likely winner this year.
Why was Modric a bad choice?

He helped guide Real Madrid to a 3rd Champions League and got an unfancied Croatia to a World Cup final? Surely that was reasonable?

I don't know why some Messi and Ronaldo fanbois the Ballon d'Or has to be a golden boot race.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's going to be for someone of Liverpool I think.

K13

Very hard to predict. The voting changed in 2016 so players, coaches, media and fans all contribute 25% of the vote.

I personally think that Van Dijk and Bernardo have been the stand out players in the PL so hopefully they will be involved in the latter stages.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi still has been the best in the calendar year so far

Treble

He helped guide Real Madrid to a 3rd Champions League and got an unfancied Croatia to a World Cup final? Surely that was reasonable?

I don't know why some Messi and Ronaldo fanbois the Ballon d'Or has to be a golden boot race.
Modric wasn't a bad choice, just not as good as Ronaldo. Xavi and Iniesta or Maldini and Baresi wouldn't have been a bad choice in previous years either. But they didn't win. Modric is not on their level but people got bored of Messi/Ronaldo. It would be quite silly to suggest that the only thing Messi and Ronaldo do is scoring goals.

K13

I thought Modric was really well deserved. He has been brilliant for RM.

I agree re the goals comment. There are so many great players that don't get a look in. These are just a few that in my opinion were unlucky.

Pirlo in 2006, Sneijder in 2010, Iniesta 2012 & Ribery 2013.

SharpshooterTom

Modric wasn't a bad choice, just not as good as Ronaldo. Xavi and Iniesta or Maldini and Baresi wouldn't have been a bad choice in previous years either. But they didn't win. Modric is not on their level but people got bored of Messi/Ronaldo. It would be quite silly to suggest that the only thing Messi and Ronaldo do is scoring goals.
Iniesta should have won it in 2010 after winning the WC and scoring the winning goal in the final but the vote was split between him and Xavi.

Messi 22.65%
Iniesta 17.36%
Xavi 16.48%

Messi had a very poor WC that year (no goals) didn't win the CL either, no one's saying Messi and Ronaldo shouldn't win most of them, but as I said earlier I would hate the Ballon d'Or to be a golden boot race, otherwise only strikers would win it and we've become used to the idea with Messi and Ronaldo at just looking at goals scored as the only measurement to determine a Ballon d'Or otherwise Gerd Muller should have won about 10 of them.

What about the number of clean sheets VVD helped guide Liverpool to with near record PL points and CL win and strong individual performance in the final?