Ballon d'Or 2016

Stacks

This argument counts for something, but the post you quoted directly answered a post that stated there's not much between Ronaldo's and Müller's goalscoring statistics. And statistic-wise, Müller wins easily, as do several other forwards. Doesn't mean these stats can't be weighted and put in perspective, but since the argument was about statistics, @Gio's post is completely justified.

Also, inverted wide forwards are often prime goalscorers in our era (Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, probably Robben if he had been healthy enough). As long as Ronaldo was a classical winger (I can't judge by myself, but I trust those who followed his career from the start) this argument counts. Since he became more of a wide forward, the direct comparison is apt in my opinion.
IMO people should compare Ronaldo's goalscoring record from 2007 onwards. He had left RM behind and become officially a forward

Moby

Dick
No, after ronnie got injured at inter, there was no debate about him being the best
Ever heard of Alessandro Del Piero? He was easily better than him that season. Zidane won the award on the back of two goals in the final - he wasn't even France's best player in that WC.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
IMO people should compare Ronaldo's goalscoring record from 2007 onwards. He had left RM behind and become officially a forward
Yes, that's fair, and I already agreed with that. The second column was my attempt to say pretty much this. But the original statement (not much between them statistically) was for their career record and Gio answered to that, particularly concerning the international record.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
At Real Madrid, unless it's style and elegance that get your juices flowing, I think Ronaldo trumps Zidane quite comfortably.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He did, and he won, in 1998

No, after ronnie got injured at inter, there was no debate about him being the best.
Zidane was part of a small group of players who were the best in the world around 1997 to 2002. Ronaldo was obviously top dog from 1996 to 1998, then Rivaldo was clearly the standout from 1998 to 2000, then it becomes a bit trickier to separate between Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo up until 2002. Then the next generation (Ronaldinho, Henry, Nedved, Shevchenko) took over.

Moby

Dick
Zidane was part of a small group of players who were the best in the world around 1997 to 2002. Ronaldo was obviously top dog from 1996 to 1998, then Rivaldo was clearly the standout from 1998 to 2000, then it becomes a bit trickier to separate between Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo up until 2002. Then the next generation (Ronaldinho, Henry, Nedved, Shevchenko) took over.
Del Piero should have won the BdO in 98, he was sensational both in the league and the CL (10 goals in the competition) and was unfortunate to lose that final to Madrid because of injury. That Madrid team wasn't better than that Juve team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Del Piero should have won the BdO in 98, he was sensational both in the league and the CL (10 goals in the competition) and was unfortunate to lose that final to Madrid because of injury. That Madrid team wasn't better than that Juve team.
Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that. Obviously the injury and his relative lack of impact at the World Cup counted against him at a time when the World Cup was king in determining the destination of the Ballon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Only on this thread can you call someone the most complete goalscorer of all time and still be hammered for the post by sensitive fanboys.
Heh, ain't that the truth.

Best to stay away from the madness, if you ask me. Which is a shame, because there's plenty of genuinely interesting things to discuss within the Ronaldo versus X (usually Messi) context. Is the sort of player he is, stylistically (or in terms of skill set), underappreciated compared to players who are seen as more "cerebral" (the R vs M debate often gets into brain versus brawn territory, to exaggerate slightly) and/or more creative, and/or more naturally talented, etc?

Interesting enough question, I think. But discussing general points with people who worship an idol blindly is usually pointless.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ever heard of Alessandro Del Piero? He was easily better than him that season. Zidane won the award on the back of two goals in the final - he wasn't even France's best player in that WC.
Del Piero was better in the first half of the season, Zidane was better in the second half, but neither was the best in the world. That was Ronaldo. And that is my point.

@Gio nah, not really. After Ronnie's injury, Zidane was the best player in the world. Not always the most consistent, but if you asked anybody from 1999 until 2004 who was the best player in the world, they'd answer Zidane. Because regardless of consistency, everybody knew nobody else could play at the same level as him, barring maybe Ronaldo in 2002 and 2003(and Ronaldo was the most naturally talented player of all time)

@Culero best between who?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Heh, ain't that the truth.

Best to stay away from the madness, if you ask me. Which is a shame, because there's plenty of genuinely interesting things to discuss within the Ronaldo versus X (usually Messi) context. Is the sort of player he is, stylistically (or in terms of skill set), underappreciated compared to players who are seen as more "cerebral" (the R vs M debate often gets into brain versus brawn territory, to exaggerate slightly) and/or more creative, and/or more naturally talented, etc?

Interesting enough question, I think. But discussing general points with people who worship an idol blindly is usually pointless.
You're right of course, but I think the discussion here is quite good, especially compared to other threads. Certainly some interesting stuff on the last few pages.

Stacks

Del Piero was better in the first half of the season, Zidane was better in the second half, but neither was the best in the world. That was Ronaldo. And that is my point.

@Gio nah, not really. After Ronnie's injury, Zidane was the best player in the world. Not always the most consistent, but if you asked anybody from 1999 until 2004 who was the best player in the world, they'd answer Zidane. Because regardless of consistency, everybody knew nobody else could play at the same level as him, barring maybe Ronaldo in 2002 and 2003(and Ronaldo was the most naturally talented player of all time)

Figo could and did, Rivaldo could at his best, during that period only of course. Overall Zidane performed at a higher level for a longer period.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Figo could and did, Rivaldo could at his best, during that period only of course. Overall Zidane performed at a higher level for a longer period.
None of those players best matched Zidane's best. Better?

IFC 1905

Messi is like two steps ahead of Ronaldo and Ronaldo is ahead of the rest in the last decade. It's just watching them play. There's not much secret. And it's what the vast majority thinks.

Even more, not many people consider this award should've gone to Ronaldo. This one, and Messi's 2010 could've gone to other players and nobody could've said anything.

Culero

Messi and Cristiano, in a neutral environment forget what teams they play for and what they have achieved. Just base on their peak ability/talent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Have you not read any of my posts? I don't blame you:lol:

But anyways, Messi is the 3rd greatest player of all time. Cristiano Ronaldo is not one of the 3 greatest players of all time.

I'll add that if the golden ball truly was based on individual performance alone, that is looking at it in a vacuum, disregarding context, Messi should and would have won the last 8 GBs straight

OL29

How come with regards to Ronaldo, people disregard the skill and dribbling ability he displayed up until around 2010?

We praise the likes of Scholes for being able to develop from being a goalscoring midfielder to a deep lying playmaker whereas, with Ronaldo, who managed to combine flair and goals to devastating affect at certain times in his career, we disregard him as a pure goalscorer?

Seems unfair to me and serves as another example of people trying to downplay his abilities due to their dislike of the guy.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Surprise surprise.

They should just give him next years one too. Probably save some time. :boring::boring:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's a strong case for Ronaldo being the most complete goalscorer of all time and I think it's a good comparison to make. However, even cutting Ronaldo a bit of slack for playing for a less dominant team, I think Muller's international track record is far better:

Muller 62 caps, 68 goals
Ronaldo 136 caps, 68 goals

Muller 13 World Cup games, 14 goals
Ronaldo 13 World Cup games, 3 goals

Muller 5 games in World Cup/Euro semi-finals/finals, 7 goals
Ronaldo 5 games in World Cup/Euro semi-finals/finals, 2 goals (not counting his 10-minute cameo in the 2016 final)
Yes but playing for less dominant team is a big factor which would heavily affect no. of trophies/goals won/scored. What Ronaldo achieved for Portugal over the years, I don't think anyone could top that if they played for same Portugal team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Which is ok imo as long as the discussion is still productive. I mean I don't expect to come here, post a couple of posts and everyone suddenly changes their opinion to mine. But that doesn't mean we can't still gain something from the discussion.

Fair enough and it's true that C Ronaldo had more to his game during that period.

I wouldn't say there's much between them regarding assists. According to tm Müller has more than 100 assists in the Bundesliga for example. It's always a bit dodgy with assists for old players but it shouldn't be a big difference in the end. I'd say that's a tie.

I have to admit I have no idea where Eusebio came from here. His main rivals must've been Cruijff and Beckenbauer.
However the thing is that the criteria has clearly changed. I know it's always hard to prove but I think it's pretty clear. In 72 Müller had his world record year. 85 goals in 60 games. Won the europea cup. Scored a brace in the final and finished as top scorer of the tournament. Yet he finished 2nd in the balon dor - behind Beckenbauer, a defensive player. In 73 he had an extremely strong year and finished 3rd. Behind Cruijff and Zoff - a goalkeeper who only won nothing more than a league title that season. I mean this won't happen in our times. Imagine Ronaldo scoring 85 goals in 60 games and finishing behind his teams defensive midfielder. Or let him have a good year and finish behind say de Gea who won only the PL that season. I don't think this is possible in our times. I'm actually quite sure that going by todays criteria Müller would have a lot more balon d'or awards.

Problem is that the criteria changed. Back then scoring a goal in a weak league was worth as much as scoring a goal in the best league. This might have changed the outcome but I'd say fair enough.

Agree with the part about the club career.

I think that's a bit harsh on Müller. Winning the WC and EC and being the main goalscorer of his team, scoring in the main games and being regarded as the 2nd most important player in both tournaments I'd say is worth more. If Ronaldo had been THE outstanding player of his team I'd say fair enough but he "only" was one of his teams main players.

I think it's very close between the two.
Back then the criteria could be different, but that's why I did also count their runners-up finish in individual awards (Ballon D'or). In this case Muller finished among top 3 four times, while Ronaldo finished among top 2 nine times, I would still give Ronaldo a big win over Muller there.

But yes Muller has a more impressive international career, especially in WC, so I wouldn't disagree if someone give Muller a win instead. I give it a tie only because Ronaldo played for an inferior team but still managed to achieve something "comparable" to what Muller did.

For assist stats, I have no idea how well Muller did there, as there isn't any official record back then. My knowledge is Muller being renowned as poacher/goalscorer rather than playmaker etc so presumably he probably isn't one of the top assist in Europe during his time. I could be wrong on that though.

Stacks

Messi is like two steps ahead of Ronaldo and Ronaldo is ahead of the rest in the last decade. It's just watching them play. There's not much secret. And it's what the vast majority thinks.

Even more, not many people consider this award should've gone to Ronaldo. This one, and Messi's 2010 could've gone to other players and nobody could've said anything.
To be honest I am amazed that this version of Ronaldo beats Messi some years. He was better and more varied in his mid twenties 24-29. Its crazy to think he left us when he was 24. I don't think a few years ago that Messi was 2 steps ahead. Maybe 10% better. He is a better overall player to this CF Ronaldo but Ronaldo is such a great goal scorer that he can still inspire Real to greatness

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sure if you are looking at ability and completely ignoring the actual performances. Same goes for your Zidane was the best in the world for the next 5 years.
That is what I've been saying, but no, Ronaldo wasn't just the best player in the world, he was also the best performer in 1998.

@OL29 I think it's only the current version of cristiano that people "disregard" as a pure goalscorer. That, and people going on about his goalscoring stats

@Stacks completely agree

BTW: i'm fairly sure gerd muller got quite a few assists. Assists after all are merely the final pass before the goal. Assist =/= chance creation. The two may overlap, but are not the same thing at all

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Zidane's problem was consistency though. If he hit those extraordinary heights that he did at Euro 2000 more regularly, then I'd have agreed that he was the standout of the era. But he didn't. He often under-performed in the bread and butter of domestic football and at both Juventus and to a lesser extent at Real wasn't very productive, especially compared to the likes of Ronaldo and Rivaldo. Obviously he played deeper, but if you want to elevate him above these guys, then those are the standards he didn't really attain on a regular basis. One thing in his defence though is that it was harder to be consistent when there were no superteams racking up 90 points and 100 goals a season, and instead it was a struggle to get to 60-70 points and that was normally good enough to get you in the hunt for a league title.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He played 27 games in the entire year.
Because Del Piero played many more games than that?

@Gio as an Italian, Zidane was by far the serie A's best player from the moment Ronaldo got injured until he left. Pretty consistently. He was also the best player of La liga in 2001-2002 and 2002-2003(this one tied with ronaldo)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes but playing for less dominant team is a big factor which would heavily affect no. of trophies/goals won/scored. What Ronaldo achieved for Portugal over the years, I don't think anyone could top that if they played for same Portugal team.
While he was impressive in 2004 and good in 2006, compared to the likes of Muller he's not done a lot at the five tournaments since then until winning the last one. Whereas Muller has a 100% hit rate at major tournaments, banging in 10 goals in 1970, scoring in the semis and final of 1972 and 1974, and winning both.

Moby

Dick
Because Del Piero played many more games than that?
He led his team to a Serie A win and a CL final scoring 10 goals in the competition in the process. Big Ronaldo is my all time favourite player but he got outperformed but Alessandro that year, sorry.

Moby

Dick
While he was impressive in 2004 and good in 2006, compared to the likes of Muller he's not done a lot at the five tournaments since then until winning the last one. Whereas Muller has a 100% hit rate at major tournaments, banging in 10 goals in 1970, scoring in the semis and final of 1972 and 1974, and winning both.
Hypothetically, if we put Cristiano in that West Germany team and Gerd in the Portugal teams Cristiano has participated in, how different do you think the outcomes would have been?

Stocar

I think anyone who actually watched La Liga in 90s/early 2000s knows that Rivaldo was better and consistent league player.

As for the best player of that time, it was between several players, like someone said. Zidane was one of them, with most dominant presence and charisma.

Last edited:

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I don't know who's been better between Messi and Ronaldo. I don't think anyone does. It usually comes down to 'I'm a connoisseur so I understand what you couldn't possibly'. It's the Beatles vs the Stones.

IFC 1905

To be honest I am amazed that this version of Ronaldo beats Messi some years. He was better and more varied in his mid twenties 24-29. Its crazy to think he left us when he was 24. I don't think a few years ago that Messi was 2 steps ahead. Maybe 10% better. He is a better overall player to this CF Ronaldo but Ronaldo is such a great goal scorer that he can still inspire Real to greatness
He was better when Messi was injured. That's all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Only a juventus fan would say that. Del Piero didn't lead them to the title, Moggi, Giraudo and Gianni&Umberto Agnelli did.

Moby

Dick
Only a juventus fan would say that. Del Piero didn't lead them to the title, Moggi, Giraudo and Gianni&Umberto Agnelli did.
You've completely lost me there mate.

I support only one football team in the world, and you can find the name of that team on the top of this website. No idea what you're on about with the rest.