Ballon d'Or 2016

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Most unjustifiably Spain-centric World XI of all time, and that's saying something. Alves, Pique, Marcelo, Iniesta and arguably Kroos are all in there because of who they play for, not how they play. Plus Neuer gets his default spot as ever.
Who would you choose instead Marcelo?I can think in Alaba but the option of Marcelo seems reasonable.
Kroos played a very good season and Champions league and Piqué was at a very high level too(Pepe also deserved it )

fergies coat

Spain dominate the world eleven once again. Absolutely ridiculous. How a united player never won the world player award in 1999 I'll never know.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
Most unjustifiably Spain-centric World XI of all time, and that's saying something. Alves, Pique, Marcelo, Iniesta and arguably Kroos are all in there because of who they play for, not how they play. Plus Neuer gets his default spot as ever.
Neuer will dominate this for some time now and to be fair, rightfully so. He is clearly a level above as he is the only one who is great at everything (shot stopping, ball playing, area dominance, authority in the box) not to mention a serial winner. Pique was outstanding last year in a team that won the double. Yes yes he doesn't really have to defend as Barcelona control their games so much but they do so partly because of players like him and Busquets who help them control those games. Not sure why that skill is considered lesser than "real defending" whatever that is. Even though it doesn't say much about left backs in general, Marcelo is still clearly the best. Alaba has a good shout but he doesn't even always plays there nowadays. I perfectly agree with Kroos's inclusion and I would even add Iniesta. There have been more standout midfield performances last year like Kante and Pogba or even the likes of Vidal an Alonso. Alves is the same as Marcelo to me. He had a decent year in a team that won the double and that was enough to be better than any other right back last year.

VanGaalEra

Poor Pogba, finishing 4th behind Henderson, Alli and Can.

3KDré

Defenders list is a joke. Pepe and Godin behind Ramos with Bonucci 14th?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How does Messi finish above Ronaldo as a forward but Ronaldo wins the main thing? :lol:

Also, will Fifa favourite Neuer ever not finish 1st?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So Griezmann is the 5th best forward in the world but among top 3 players!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Neuer will dominate this for some time now and to be fair, rightfully so. He is clearly a level above as he is the only one who is great at everything (shot stopping, ball playing, area dominance, authority in the box) not to mention a serial winner.
DDG is comfortably the better keeper. It's all well and good being comfortable with feet but DDG is ultimately better at keeping the ball out of the net, the primary role of a goal keeper.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Who votes for these lists? Online poll, captains, managers,a jury?

Theonas

Scout
DDG is comfortably the better keeper. It's all well and good being comfortable with feet but DDG is ultimately better at keeping the ball out of the net, the primary role of a goal keeper.
First of all, DDG is not "comfortably" better than him. They, with Oblak and Navas are for me the best at shot stopping. Moreover, the job of the goalkeeper is what his team asks him to do. People like to stick to specific definitions with goalkeepers, defenders when managers are obviously asking for different things depending on style, environment, system, ... and so on. I will take the word of managers before any fans and their desperation to stick with traditionalist roles. Finally, regardless of all of that, as I said, Neuer scores high on pretty much every skill set asked of goalkeepers today, including shot stopping. This is why he is considered the best, with the likes of DDG, Lloris, Buffon and Oblak coming behind despite also being at an elite level.

fergies coat

Every time I see Neuer play he's got a mistake in him. DDG is no1 for me. Neuer is vastly overrated.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
First of all, DDG is not "comfortably" better than him. They, with Oblak and Navas are for me the best at shot stopping. Moreover, the job of the goalkeeper is what his team asks him to do. People like to stick to specific definitions with goalkeepers, defenders when managers are obviously asking for different things depending on style, environment, system, ... and so on. I will take the word of managers before any fans and their desperation to stick with traditionalist roles. Finally, regardless of all of that, as I said, Neuer scores high on pretty much every skill set asked of goalkeepers today, including shot stopping. This is why he is considered the best, with the likes of DDG, Lloris, Buffon and Oblak coming behind despite also being at an elite level.
I'll give you a clue, it's in the name, goalkeeper.

In every other aspect of the game DDG is the better player, no matter how much you want to glorify a ball playing keeper, Neuer will let more goals in than DDG based on individual ability alone. It's astonishing how much stock people like you put in a keepers ability to use his feet.

Every time I see Neuer play he's got a mistake in him. DDG is no1 for me. Neuer is vastly overrated.
Apparently that doesn't matter though...

Last edited:

OldTrevil

Pogba should count himself lucky to be mentioned with those three.
lol

Bwuk

So annoyed Adam Lallana never made it into the 11. Disrespectful of Fifa, Liverpool should boycott the award.

Theonas

Scout
I'll give you a clue, it's in the name, goalkeeper.

In every other aspect of the game DDG is the better player, no matter how much you want to glorify a ball playing keeper, Neuer will let more goals in than DDG based on individual ability alone. It's astonishing how much stock people like you put in a keepers ability to use his feet.
What on earth are you talking about? You are not responding to my post but instead on the cliché simple minded division that the media likes to spread for easy headlines. The division of goalkeepers being this or that. I specifically said that Neuer is considered the best because of his entire skill set in which I included authority of his area and ability to dominate it which is very similar to how Schmeichel used to be. What part of that did you read as an endorsement of ball playing goalkeepers or whatever. You seem like a typical case of someone fed up with all those new hipsters trying to change the game that you see imaginary arguments everywhere. I repeat again; Neuer is a brilliant shot stopper, very good at dominating his area and being imposing physically PLUS quite good with his feet. Those four criteria is what elevates him above any other goalkeeper in the world at the moment who might be accomplished in 2 or 3 out of the 4.

Also for future references, the name goalkeeper is not a clue for anything. The role of a player is what a manager decides it to be. Roles keep changing throughout history and they will and the only validation for whether it is a success or not is if the team performs well and win. That is the only criteria that counts, not some nostalgic notion of things having to be the exact way you personally grew up with. It seems like every generation wants to tell us that what they are used to in terms of styles and systems was perfect and that everything before it or after is nothing more than tippy tappy nonsense. I need to clarify here again that I don't necessarily mean goalkeepers should be good at this or that because obviously all you read is cliché media narratives. What I mean is why the insistence that you know what a player's job is when the managers, people who stand to gain or lose the most out of such decisions, seem to disagree? Are they all just idiots?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hazard being anywhere near that list is a bit of a joke.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Just a popularity contest nothing more.

Buffon and de gea are better than Neuer

Dani Alves? :lol::lol::lol:

Iniesta and kroos? I'd take Pogba anyday

Pique and Ramos? I'd rather boateng and godin

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hazard being anywhere near that list is a bit of a joke.
The lists are clearly based on popularity that's why FIFA awards have always been a joke.

Omar Little

Poor Pogba, finishing 4th behind Henderson, Alli and Can.

So the highest ranked GK from the PL
Highest ranked CM from the PL
And highest ranked CF from the PL...are all from United?

fecking fix. fecking Spanish/manc cnuts from FIFA can do one, la!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't think Iniesta has been deserving of his place this time around.

Snafu17

So Griezmann is the 3rd best player in the world and also the 5th best forward in the world?