Ballon d'Or 2016

That's the thing, United won the UCL because we had a very good team, so did Real Madrid. If you took out Ronaldo, they could still win it. Whereas Messi was integral to Barca's UCL win in 2011 and 2015, not so much in 2009.
Where to start with this nonsense @unimaginative_name... well United wouldn't have won the CL without Ronaldo, that's for sure. Porto would certainly have knocked us out. And Chelsea would have won the final without him.

So now onto this absolute garbage about Messi, who, strangely enough didn't play for the Spanish national team who ruled the World then. They, full of Barca players did just fine without him. With or without Messi, that Barca team was easily the best in Europe.

Great great player Messi, possibly the best ever, but feck me some people don't half talk some shite about him.

unimaginative_name

Milan, Champions League winners that year were not a "top team". Dortmund, finalists that year were not a top team? Juventus, finalists that year were not a "top team"?

Just stop.
For me, top teams are those who have reached at least the semi-finals a few seasons in a row, like United of 2007-2011, Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid. Atletico has been the closest to them, but they don't play like a top team, too defensive, not attacking enough. Dortmund, Milan, Juve, these teams have been more or less one season wonders, doing well sporadically after long gap.

It seems, I have higher expectations from top teams than you guys do. so, I guess, we should agree to disagree.

United doesn't win a CL in 2008 or make it to the final in 2009 without Ronaldo. Give me a break.
In 2008, we were amazing as a team, I think we would have won it anyway. The hardest opposition we played in 2008 was Barcelona and against them, in either of the matches, Ronaldo did F all. In 2009, I felt the dependency on Ronaldo even hindered our game, he was not doing his defensive shifts, which is why Rooney was played in wings which hurt our general play.

That's bs as well. There's a big chance Real Madrid hadn't even reached the final in UCL without Ronaldo and the Same with Portugal (they would had gone out in group stage most likely). It's like you think he only scores inconsequential goals and does nothing beside being standing there next to the goal line waiting to push the ball in. He's a very good finisher who can strike the ball with both feet and is also good in the air but he's more complete than the likes of someone like Higuaín, and has also been instrumental to his teams recent success.
As I said, I don't feel he is as influential on the game as the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Robben etc. are, but you can have other opinion. As some one already said, Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, but not a great player, at least not enough to win Ballon D'or.

Where to start with this nonsense @unimaginative_name... well United wouldn't have won the CL without Ronaldo, that's for sure. Porto would certainly have knocked us out. And Chelsea would have won the final without him.

So now onto this absolute garbage about Messi, who, strangely enough didn't play for the Spanish national team who ruled the World then. They, full of Barca players did just fine without him. With or without Messi, that Barca team was easily the best in Europe.

Great great player Messi, possibly the best ever, but feck me some people don't half talk some shite about him.
Lol, without Messi, they may have won the tournaments, but they were anything but fluid, they scored probably the fewest numbers of goals in the world cup as the winners. They won because international football became dire and there are not enough quality international teams. Only in 2008, they played like real champions. The France team of 1998-2002 would have thumped that Spain side. Messi is integral to the way Barcelona play, he is the reason they score tons of goals.

You guys adore Ronaldo, good on you, but I don't rate his type of players. I rest my case.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As I said, I don't feel he is as influential on the game as the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Robben etc. are, but you can have other opinion. As some one already said, Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, but not a great player, at least not enough to win Ballon D'or.
What you said is that Real Madrid would have won without him but that isn't true and you if a player is instrumental for his team to win games and tournaments then it's having an influence and direct impact in the outcome. And he's also a complete player, not just a poacher, as he has succeed and helped his teams in the different leagues, with different teammates and with his country as well.

In 2008, we were amazing as a team, I think we would have won it anyway. The hardest opposition we played in 2008 was Barcelona and against them, in either of the matches, Ronaldo did F all. In 2009, I felt the dependency on Ronaldo even hindered our game, he was not doing his defensive shifts, which is why Rooney was played in wings which hurt our general play..
@unimaginative_name how would we have beaten Porto without him? Do you not remember that fecking game mate? Seriously?

Lol, without Messi, they may have won the tournaments, but they were anything but fluid, they scored probably the fewest numbers of goals in the world cup as the winners. They won because international football became dire and there are not enough quality international teams. Only in 2008, they played like real champions. The France team of 1998-2002 would have thumped that Spain side. Messi is integral to the way Barcelona play, he is the reason they score tons of goals.

You guys adore Ronaldo, good on you, but I don't rate his type of players. I rest my case.
Yeah that's right, read your post and mine (in which I say Messi is probably the best player ever), and you're right, I'm the one doing the "adoring" :lol:

unimaginative_name

@unimaginative_name how would we have beaten Porto without him? Do you not remember that fecking game mate? Seriously?
We conceded the first goal because Ronaldo gave the ball away in the first place, that goal gave Porto a lot of confidence and momentum, otherwise we probably would have gone to Porto with a clean sheet and a lead as we were very good at keeping cleaning sheets that season. Ronaldo did score his goals that season, but he was also culpable for a lot flaws in our game, especially defensively.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't Porto 2009 though?

Btw, i'm as guilty of this as anybody, but the whole team X wins/doesn't win without player Y is disingenous. Fact is, United and Real Madrid did have cristiano, and we have no way of knowing how they might have fared without him

We conceded the first goal because Ronaldo gave the ball away in the first place, that goal gave Porto a lot of confidence and momentum, otherwise we probably would have gone to Porto with a clean sheet and a lead as we were very good at keeping cleaning sheets that season. Ronaldo did score his goals that season, but he was also culpable for a lot flaws in our game, especially defensively.
I've had my mind blown here. The World Player of the Year that season held us back and we were a better team without him.

Just fecking wowzers.

unimaginative_name

Please rest your case for everybody's sake.
FIFA should just do with these individual awards. Football is an team sport, no point in rewarding individuals, it often does no justice.
I've had my mind blown here. The World Player of the Year that season held us back and we were a better team without him.

Just fecking wowzers.
Check your memory please. I'm talking about 2008-09 season, Ronaldo didn't the WPOTY for that season, he was miles behind Messi on that, he won for his performances in 2007-2008, he was great at scoring goals that season while he was more influential for United in 2006-07.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

But we didnt win the ucl that season

Yeah was about time he started scoring in UCL that season - he went goalless in group stages :wenger: - 08/09

TsuWave

That's the thing, United won the UCL because we had a very good team, so did Real Madrid. If you took out Ronaldo, they could still win it. Whereas Messi was integral to Barca's UCL win in 2011 and 2015, not so much in 2009.
'kin hell, its like watching a car crash

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That's ridiculous. You're saying they "could" still win it. Yeah anyone "could" win anything. Or are you suggesting Ronaldo was just a part of a successful team and nothing else? Your argument is flawed in so many ways.

Take out both Messi and Ronaldo and Barcelona has had a much, much better team than Madrid. Also, how about the national teams? Are you saying the Portuguese would have won without Ronaldo as well?

Anyway I don't think it is worth arguing - look at the years Madrid won the league and how many goals Ronaldo scored in what matches. If you think he wasn't an integral part of it then my words wont make a difference.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Except Barca and Bayern, none of these teams are great and truly top teams. I have addressed that he scored loads against Barcelona, but he requires a lot of help from his teammates for those goals, basically he mostly scores easy goals like tap-in or poaching or headers or when the match is already won.

He has never goals of Messi's quality against top teams. Has he ever dribbled past several defenders and scored a goal like Messi did against Real Madrid in 2011 UCL semi-final? Messi did not require any help from his teammates.

He also never controls games like Xavi did against us in 2009 final or Messi did against Manchester City in 2015. He is far too limited a player these days. His best version was in 2006/07 when he was far more influential to United. Everything in United happened through him in that season. We don't see that Ronaldo any more.

For me Ballon D'or should go to players who control games like the likes of Zidane, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Sneider(2010) or who win matches individually like Messi or Maradona does or used to do. Poachers like Ronaldo require need too much help to win the Ballon D'or.
If it is so easy just to score lots of tap-ins of headers, it makes you why no player in the history of the game have tried that, and score 50 goals plus season after season. Such an innovative idea... :lol:

Has Messi ever scored a goal from 40yards out or out jumped defenders by a meter to score a header? Remember all goals count the same!!

You're entitled to an opinion, and we're entitled to laugh at that stupid opinion. :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Except our record without Ronaldo is far better than Barcelona's without Messi.
Something to do with Ronaldo having a better injury record and hence missed games Zidane wanted him to miss against weak sides, whereas Messi missed games that Barca needed him for?

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Something to do with Ronaldo having a better injury record and hence missed games Zidane wanted him to miss against weak sides, whereas Messi missed games that Barca needed him for?
I am unsure as I do not know the official numbers but Messi hardly misses a game either.

I do know that the last 3 years Messi has played more games than Ronaldo

GifLord

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
http://messivsronaldo.net/calendar-year-stats/

2016 Messi 51 Club Games, Ronaldo 44
2015 Messi 53 Club Games, Ronaldo 52
2014 Messi 52 Club Games, Ronaldo 51

Looks like I was right

GifLord

How is that even possible? He was injured more time than Ronaldo and played more games :eek:

unimaginative_name

If it is so easy just to score lots of tap-ins of headers, it makes you why no player in the history of the game have tried that, and score 50 goals plus season after season. Such an innovative idea... :lol:

Has Messi ever scored a goal from 40yards out or out jumped defenders by a meter to score a header? Remember all goals count the same!!

You're entitled to an opinion, and we're entitled to laugh at that stupid opinion. :lol:
Because probably no other team in the history played for a player like Real Madrid do for Ronaldo. Messi plays for Barcelona, whereas Real Madrid plays for Ronaldo (Yeah, shameless copied that from someone else). He is the most selfish player I've ever seen. I think if Real Madrid played as a team and not for Ronaldo, they probably would have won more league titles in recent years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Because probably no other team in the history played for a player like Real Madrid do for Ronaldo. Messi plays for Barcelona, whereas Real Madrid plays for Ronaldo (Yeah, shameless copied that from someone else). He is the most selfish player I've ever seen. I think if Real Madrid played as a team and not for Ronaldo, they probably would have won more league titles in recent years.
Now you're accusing some of the best managers in the modern era: Mourinho, Ancelotti & co not doing their job properly. :lol:

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
That's why Ronaldo has 180 odd assists, one of the best in Europe in that area lmao

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I am unsure as I do not know the official numbers but Messi hardly misses a game either.

That can't be true, Ronaldo work ethic is like the best and Messi has missed a lot. After Copa America the last two seasons he struggled a good chunk at the start of the season where Suárez was on fire; and the last year alone Ronaldo got to the UCL final and Euros Final while playing the season from the start unlike Messi. Of course he now missed the start of the season for us as he was just so burned out (even since May you could notice how the season was taking it's toll on him) but overall while they both remain impressively fit given th amount of games they play a season Ronaldo's work ethic and fitness have given him the edge.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
How is that even possible? He was injured more time than Ronaldo and played more games :eek:
We were banned from Copa del Rey last season and he's counting calendar years instead of seasons, and when they won the treble they had the club world cup. It's an odd statistic because I'm also sure Messi was injured considerable more time than him.

unimaginative_name

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah and Messi would struggle on a cold night at stoke :wenger:. You're beyond repair sir.

Dion

For me, top teams are those who have reached at least the semi-finals a few seasons in a row, like United of 2007-2011, Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid. Atletico has been the closest to them, but they don't play like a top team, too defensive, not attacking enough. Dortmund, Milan, Juve, these teams have been more or less one season wonders, doing well sporadically after long gap.
Milan who reached final-> Semi final -> win you mean?

So if we include Barcelona, Bayern, Man Utd and Milan as "top teams" by your definition (I won't include Real Madrid as scoring own goals is frowned upon in footballing cricles) he's scored against 3/4 of the "top teams". Not to mention every CL winner bar 1.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Against Italy, Spain would have lost 5-0 if it wasn't for him.
Now I'm convinced that De Gea's skinny physique makes his saves look more impressive than they actually are.

Still a great keeper though, probably the best in the world these days, but he didn't save 3 certain goals against Italy. He made some nice saves, but nothing that I wouldn't expect Neuer or any other top class goalkeeper to save.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
AC Milan from 2003 to 2007 were quite clearly a top team, without a shadow of doubt. Won it in 2003 and 2007. Lost the final in 2005 after dominating most of the game. Lost to eventual winners Barcelona in the semifinal in 2006 while an onside goal from Sheva was disallowed.

How does that not qualify as a top team? Do you not remember Ancelotti's Milan at all?