Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

That's precisely what you attempted to do.
No, I said top players come and go, such as Ronaldo from the Prem. Hell from Barca alone you have Cryuff, Maradona, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Always have, always will. No one player is that important.

Then you went all rosey eyed teenager and started trying to compare Ronaldo v Messi and gushing about your love for Messi.

No-ones interested in that shit debate. Take it to that awesome Ronaldo v Messi thread and swoon at your heart’s content :drool:

Ladron de redcafe

No, I said top players come and go, Cryuff, Maradona, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Always have, always will. No one player is that important.

Then you went all rosey eyed teenager and started trying to compare Ronaldo v Messi and gushing about your love for Messi.

No-ones interested in that shit debate.
No. You made an analogy between Messi's departure from Barcelona and the other guy from United's. People pointed out that it's more nuanced because their impacts aren't the same.

You then decided to throw your toys out of the pram and are still doing it for some reason.

As I said, you're derailing the thread with that very debate for some reason, while emotionally exclaiming that you don't want to. Stick to the thread topic and don't get so sensitive.

No. You made an analogy between Messi's departure from Barcelona and the other guy from United's. People pointed out that it's more nuanced because their impacts aren't the same.

You then decided to throw your toys out of the pram and are still doing it for some reason.

As I said, you're derailing the thread with that very debate for some reason, while emotionally exclaiming that you don't want to. Stick to the thread topic and don't get so sensitive.
I made one post saying top players leaves leagues, you tried to turn that into a Ronaldo is nothing compared to Messi thing you utter nutter. You’re derailing the thread.

No-ones throwing toys, I think you should head over to the Ronaldo v Messi thread now pal.

A quick look shows it’s no surprise it’s your favorite thread, my God those posts :lol:
https://www.redcafe.net/search/503101/

Ladron de redcafe

I made one post saying top players leaves leagues, you tried to turn that into a Ronaldo is nothing compared to Messi thing you utter nutter. You’re derailing the thread.

No-ones throwing toys, I think you should head over to the Ronaldo v Messi thread now pal.
Like clockwork. Emotional. Hysterical. We're both done, but I suspect you'll be back with another emotional post.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m going to throw a conspiracy theory out there that I’ve just made up:

Barcelona and Real Madrid are both secretly in cahoots with La Liga over this salary cap. It’s a chance for both teams to have a major reset and a chance for Laporta to get Messi off the books while holding his hands up and saying it’s not his fault.

Ladron de redcafe

Go for Frenkie. Bye.
They won't sell Pedri or De Jong. Those are the only two who can command a high price tag at the moment, but Barcelona rightfully won't let them go. Instead, they're trying to shift the dead weight but nobody is going to take on the Griezmans of the world, with their current wages.

That's essentially what has Barcelona in the mess they're in. If only they get desperate enough to sell Frankie, we should absolutely throw everything at him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
They won't sell Pedri or De Jong. Those are the only two who can command a high price tag at the moment, but Barcelona rightfully won't let them go. Instead, they're trying to shift the dead weight but nobody is going to take on the Griezmans of the world, with their current wages.

That's essentially what has Barcelona in the mess they're in. If only they get desperate enough to sell Frankie, we should absolutely throw everything at him.
What is their way out? No one is really going to buy their deadwood on high wages.

Unless they let the likes of Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele go for free basically but even that wouldnt be that easy. Get Frenkie!

Ladron de redcafe

I’m going to throw a conspiracy theory out there that I’ve just made up:

Barcelona and Real Madrid are both secretly in cahoots with La Liga over this salary cap. It’s a chance for both teams to have a major reset and a chance for Laporta to get Messi off the books while holding his hands up and saying it’s not his fault.
But they both oppose the deal with CVC bevause it would mean the end of their European Superleague pursuit. Madrid are actually planning to take La Liga and Tebes to court over it. I'm not sure I see how they'd be in cahoots with an organisation that's just negotiated the deal they did with CVC.

Barcelona also stand to lose a lot, as things stand. Even if Messi leaves, they will have to figure out a way to get rid of 100m euros off the books. Moreover, with PSG being Messi's most likely destination, they're opening up the door for Mbappé to join Madrid and make them the clearcut perennial powerhouse for the foreseeable future, in La Liga.

I can't see Barcelona being pleased with this scenario.

Ladron de redcafe

What is their way out? No one is really going to buy their deadwood on high wages.

Unless they let the likes of Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele go for free basically but even that wouldnt be that easy. Get Frenkie!
There doesn't seem to be a concrete plan. Thy figured that they'd be able to sell some of those throughout the summer but La Liga is a week or two away and they've done absolutely nothing.

Even the players they signed cannot be officially registered until they fix their books, and since - as you pointed out - no team is willing to take on those players at those wages - Barcelona are in a quagmire.

A solution would be to sell De Jong and Pedri but they'd be throwing away their long term future. Instead, Barcelona could be attempting to pressure la Liga to loosen up on the cap with this Messi situation, so that they can have it both ways i.e. keep their valuable young assets, and get through the financial mess.

What happens if La Liga doesn't budge?

Ixion

No wonder Barca and the other two are still trying to make the Super League a thing, they must be financially fecked.

Polar

Cheers mate.

I was also thinking about how they’re stuck with all their high profile signings; Coutinho, Dembele & Griezmann.

I’m looking forward to august 31 which is the deadline to register the squad. *grabs popcorn
Too bad we don’t need either Dembele, Griezmann or Dembele.

Any of their players who fits our needs and profile perfectly?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Even if Messi goes, and I still think that is an if, they still cannot register Aguero, Depay, Garcia etc, so just sit back and watch and enjoy a complete meltdown end of window for Barca!

Ladron de redcafe

Juan Laporta has a press conference scheduled for 11 a.m. Barcelona local time in which he plans to elaborate on the details of last night's developments.

If he immediately emphasizes how it's important for La Liga to loosen cap restrictions for the good of everybody, then that would indicate this might have been a ploy to put pressure on La Liga.

We'll find out pretty soon.

Amarsdd

so Barcelona is losing about ~30% of its revenue. Bad for them in these trying times. ...

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Too bad we don’t need either Dembele, Griezmann or Dembele.

Any of their players who fits our needs and profile perfectly?
I’d take a punt on Pjanic if free. Sign him for a year or two until we wait for one of our long term targets.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
But the point is, that they may well believe that having Messi at Barca helps them out as well financially and by digging their heels in and sticking to the rules they would be ripping their nose off to spite their face.
Looks like Barca heard me and we'll find out if football ceases to exist in Spain after Messi leaves.

Ironically, some silly people now link him to all kinds of clubs, Munich included. Fat chance of that ever happening...

dinostar77

BBC now reporting that they think this is a power play between laporta and tebas (la liga) chairman. As do journalists in France. Basically Messi will be playing for Barcelona next season, la liga need to relax their financial restrictions

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Reminder that barcelona had Kubala, Suarez, Cruyff, Maradona, Laudrup, Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho before Messi...
And Messi still broke all the records in Barcelona above everyone you mentioned.

Bestietom

No, I said top players come and go, such as Ronaldo from the Prem. Hell from Barca alone you have Cryuff, Maradona, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Always have, always will. No one player is that important.

No-ones interested in that shit debate. Take it to that awesome Ronaldo v Messi thread and swoon at your heart’s content :drool:
For to pay that sort of money to players coming to the end of their careers. You need to be winning the top trophies, fill the stadium each and every game, along with huge sponsorship. You start going downhill otherwise. The Pandemic didn't help either.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

We are talking about impact on the club, not just the name, Maradona is a GOAT, but his impact in Barcelona was nowhere near to what he did in Napoli.
Maradona is considered the GOAT of Napoli, not the GOAT of Barcelona, same goes to R9 who stayed just for a little time in Barcelona.
Cruyff(especially as manager) and Ronaldinho can be considered GOATs of Barca, but still Messi completely outperformed both.

Reality says no one player had the impact of Messi, as player, in Barcelona.

devilo

BBC now reporting that they think this is a power play between laporta and tebas (la liga) chairman. As do journalists in France. Basically Messi will be playing for Barcelona next season, la liga need to relax their financial restrictions
La Liga don't need to do anything. Let's be honest, the big spanish clubs have ruined themselves and football in the process in recent years with their ridiculous transfers and salaries and now expect everyone to assist them in getting out of the mess they find themselves in. La Liga's salary cap is the most sensible thing i've seen in ages and designed to kill off the ESL once and for all.

UncleBob

:lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
"Please let us bankrupt ourselves"

UncleBob

good quote, will be curious what happens next
It's fairly fecking funny that you keep mocking people who point out the shit that Barcelona is in, pinning your hopes on fake news and pretending that other clubs will pay Messis contract, while it's 9 days until your season starts against Real Sociedad and you haven't been able to register any of your new signings.

By all means, maybe it is an attempt at power play, announcing that Messi is leaving. It's just the shambles of Barcelona having to resort to it, essentially begging La Liga to scrap safety measures to prevent clubs from potentially going under.

The Hilton

And I’m the one derailing :lol:
Like clockwork.
In fairness it seems pretty clear that Regulus was making the point that the league will survive without Messi, as good as he may be, given how the PL (and United) were fine after Ronaldo left.

Ladron you definitely seem to be the one derailing, by being so desperate to state multiple times how much better you think Messi is (which is a reasonable opinion to have, I actually agree he's better, even though you seem to exaggerate wildly and referred to Ronaldo as "the other guy" for some bizarre reason). There's a thread dedicated to just that, you don't need to bring it up every time Ronaldo is mentioned.

Anyway the original point is correct, La Liga and Barca won't suddenly stop existing. Besides, Barca need to get used to life after Messi. It was always going to happen eventually, this way seems like ripping off the plaster rather than slowly peeling it off - it'll hurt more at first, but will heal quicker over time.

RedDevilzFox

Not really the thread for it, but I think @Foxbatt is talking about Cruyff and Maradona's impacts at Barcelona, specifically. By general consensus, he's in the 2nd tier, just half a step behind Maradona, Pelé, and Messi in the all time standings.
But that's not really the conversation. The topic was who is a legitimate GOAT candidate by general consensus. Cruyff is never going to be in that conversation however much impact he had on barcelona.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
But that's not really the conversation. The topic was who is a legitimate GOAT candidate by general consensus. Cruyff is never going to be in that conversation however much impact he had on barcelona.
Erm... Cruyff single handedly changed the whole approach to football on a European level. Messi made one club better. Cruyff changed the entire game. Think Neuer's good because he redefined the keeper into a sweeper keeper? That's NOTHING to what Cruyff did. The only reason Cruyff is not in that conversation is because it's fecking beneath him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Laporta's just now claiming that in order to comply with La Liga's FFP, the club would have had to agree with the CVC deal which I find a strange statement.

devilo

Laporta's just now claiming that in order to comply with La Liga's FFP, the club would have had to agree with the CVC deal which I find a strange statement.
That's likely true, as they won't qualify for the CVC money, 15% of which can be used to cover salaries as far as I understand it anyway.