6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

That's exactly what people are doing with Carrick, only Basti is more mobile and showed at the world cup he might not be as good as he use to be, but he's better than Carrick. Carrick was abominable last season.
Not really. Most people acknowledge Carrick isn't capable of being the player he was. People have their head in the sand with Schweinsteiger though. He isn't in the least bit mobile. Boats turn quicker. Carrick can at least be bothered to stay in shape.

Prodigal7

I don't disagree that Carrick looked lost and was a liability a lot of the time, too. It's just that he performed to an acceptable standard moreso than Schweinsteiger, which isn't saying much because Schweinsteiger was shockingly bad the majority of the time.

I wasn't expecting much of Schweinsteiger unlike most United supporters, but his performances last season left me very disappointed despite my expectations not being that high in the first place.
So Schweinsteiger wasn't abominable last season? What has he done last season? The world cup was two years ago, indeed you are still holding a romantic notion of the player used to be.
Not really. Most people acknowledge Carrick isn't capable of being the player he was. People have their head in the sand with Schweinsteiger though. He isn't in the least bit mobile. Boats turn quicker. Carrick can at least be bothered to stay in shape.
I clearly appear to be in the minority here.

Remember that header he scored where he literally ran through like 3 players? That was leadership and drive, something we lack with Carrick and the rest of the team.

Also, when he played, he just seemed to play at a much better tempo, passing and moving to make space, whereas Carrick would dawdle on the ball for what seemed like minutes, often getting caught in possession. He was also misplacing passes in the same way Bastian did. Carrick also offered nothing in the final third compared to Schweinsteiger, where he produced a couple of defence splitting passes over the top that I've never seen Carrick hit. I think people expect more of Bastian than Carrick and suddenly when he doesn't reach old levels that means he's worse than Carrick.
When Carrick had loads of time and space on the ball he was good, perhaps better than Bastian, but he got/will get found out in the games against the better teams in a much more severe way than Bastian, who played really well against Chelsea and in other big games I thought.

maybe Carrick will be more suited to sitting back and countering which is Mou's "philosophy", so he could yet be the better choice I suppose.

acnumber9

Remember that header he scored where he literally ran through like 3 players? That was leadership and drive, something we lack with Carrick and the rest of the team.

Also, when he played, he just seemed to play at a much better tempo, passing and moving to make space, whereas Carrick would dawdle on the ball for what seemed like minutes, often getting caught in possession. He was also misplacing passes in the same way Bastian did. Carrick also offered nothing in the final third compared to Schweinsteiger, where he produced a couple of defence splitting passes over the top that I've never seen Carrick hit. I think people expect more of Bastian than Carrick and suddenly when he doesn't reach old levels that means he's worse than Carrick.
When Carrick had loads of time and space on the ball he was good, perhaps better than Bastian, but he got/will get found out in the games against the better teams in a much more severe way than Bastian, who played really well against Chelsea and in other big games I thought.

maybe Carrick will be more suited to sitting back and countering which is Mou's "philosophy", so he could yet be the better choice I suppose.
There's just so much wrong in what you said there but I'll concentrate on the worst bit for now. Schweinsteiger played defence splitting passes you've never seen Carrick make? Have you been watching with your eyes closed? Carrick is and always has been a vastly superior passer. Schweinsteiger was also more slow on the ball than anyone in our midfield last year. The only time he played it quick was when he was giving it straight back to the player who just gave him the ball.

Prodigal7

There's just so much wrong in what you said there but I'll concentrate on the worst bit for now. Schweinsteiger played defence splitting passes you've never seen Carrick make? Have you been watching with your eyes closed? Carrick is and always has been a vastly superior passer. Schweinsteiger was also more slow on the ball than anyone in our midfield last year. The only time he played it quick was when he was giving it straight back to the player who just gave him the ball.
Well we must be watching different games then. Carrick puts passes between midfielders well but when it comes to unlocking packed defences I've never seen him do that, Schweinsteiger has been the master of that for a decade (hence his nickname in the German NT as "The Brain"). Can you recall a single time last season when Carrick unlocked a packed defense? I remember at least twice when Schweinsteiger did exactly that.
I wouldn't say Carrick has always been a superior passer. As Mou said about Rooney, it's much easier to make these brilliant passes with no pressure on you, which is the only time when Carrick makes these passes. Ask any pro footballer and I bet you they would say that Bastian is the better passer all round the pitch.

Mike09

:lol: seriously? You used that as a symbol of leadership? Carrick has showed that he is a leader in midfield which has been acknowledged by the players and managers as a father figure and leader in a squad. He bring composure during the games, dictate a tempo, and read the game well. Schweinsteiger has done less than what Carrick did last season, were you even watching? He's been missing more than 60% of our games. He's been unfit from the start of season even in his previous seasons with Bayern and for someone who got 200k per week especially as our 2nd highest paid last season, he needs to do better both performance and fitness. I like him but sorry you are overhyping a player who didn't do much last season.

Prodigal7

:lol: seriously? You used that as a symbol of leadership? Carrick has showed that he is a leader in midfield which has been acknowledged by the players and managers as a father figure and leader in a squad. He bring composure during the games, dictate a tempo, and read the game well. Schweinsteiger has done less than what Carrick did last season, were you even watching? He's been missing more than 60% of our games. He's been unfit from the start of season even in his previous seasons with Bayern and for someone who got 200k per week especially as our 2nd highest paid last season, he needs to do better both performance and fitness. I like him but sorry you are overhyping a player who didn't do much last season.
I don't think Carrick is a leader, neither is Rooney. They are popular veterans in the dressing room. Big difference. He hasn't dictated a game for 2 years and last year in his best moments he played a few brilliant passes through the midfield lines only for the player receiving the ball to be completely isolated and forced to play it back again afterwards anyway.
Edit: actually Carrick did play more games than Bastian, my mistake. But If not for the knee injury in March he would have had more appearances than Carrick though, that I'm sure of. I'm definitely getting the feeling that expectations based on price, past reputation and a long standing loyalty towards Carrick are tinting the Carrick V Bastian argument.

Last edited:

Minimalist

You must be on the wine to suggest Carrick is in better nick than BFS.

How someone looks (conditioning) isn't necessarily how they perform. Carrick looks in shape but he's a fecking pensioner once he steps out on the field.

100% would rather have BFS in the side over Carrick. Carrick is a mouse too and we could do with an actual leader in midfield.

Mike09

Well we must be watching different games then. Carrick puts passes between midfielders well but when it comes to unlocking packed defences I've never seen him do that, Schweinsteiger has been the master of that for a decade (hence his nickname in the German NT as "The Brain"). Can you recall a single time last season when Carrick unlocked a packed defense? I remember at least twice when Schweinsteiger did exactly that.
I wouldn't say Carrick has always been a superior passer. As Mou said about Rooney, it's much easier to make these brilliant passes with no pressure on you, which is the only time when Carrick makes these passes. Ask any pro footballer and I bet you they would say that Bastian is the better passer all round the pitch.
What is this unlocked a packed defense?

I know Schweinsteiger is used to be a great midfielder but Schweinsteiger is a better passer than Carrick?
Can Schweinsteiger do this or did he ever do this? And by the way Mata did go to him and try to put pressure on him.

You can find some passes in here when he was under pressure at his prime.

Or the one from last season

Can Schweinsteiger do 00:43-00:50

Like I said before I don't know what Schweinsteiger did last season to make him more different with what Carrick did last season. At least Carrick can play more games and stay fit.

Mike09

I don't think Carrick is a leader, neither is Rooney. They are popular veterans in the dressing room. Big difference. He hasn't dictated a game for 2 years and last year in his best moments he played a few brilliant passes through the midfield lines only for the player receiving the ball to be completely isolated and forced to play it back again afterwards anyway.
Edit: actually Carrick did play more games than Bastian, my mistake. But If not for the knee injury in March he would have had more appearances than Carrick though, that I'm sure of. I'm definitely getting the feeling that expectations based on price, past reputation and a long standing loyalty towards Carrick are tinting the Carrick V Bastian argument.
I think you just made another mistake again. He was our best midfielder 2 seasons ago. Without him we lost and clueless because none can dictate a tempo like him in 2014/2015 and our winning ratio was more than 70% when he plays in that season.

As a proof:

Prodigal7

What is this unlocked a packed defense?

I know Schweinsteiger is used to be a great midfielder but Schweinsteiger is a better passer than Carrick?
Can Schweinsteiger do this or did he ever do this? And by the way Mata did go to him and try to put pressure on him.

You can find some passes in here when he was under pressure at his prime.

Or the one from last season

Can Schweinsteiger do 00:43-00:50

Like I said before I don't know what Schweinsteiger did last season to make him more different with what Carrick did last season. At least Carrick can play more games and stay fit.
Those youtube videos prove absolutely nothing bar the first one and the last one which shows he made a defence splitting pass over the top at least twice in his career. They're also all fanboy videos so it's quite clear that they are edited to show Carrick in his best light.
Do you really want me to post a load of Schweinsteiger fanboy videos and ask you about all the things I think Schweinsteiger can do and Carrick couldn't (by the way I think Schweinsteiger can do all of those things that Carrick has done and more and I'm sure fanboy videos would show that)?

"Like I said before I don't know what Schweinsteiger did last season to make him more different with what Carrick did last season. At least Carrick can play more games and stay fit."

I think that sums up the Carrick tinted angle some people are looking at this argument from. in my view Carrick is less mobile, slower on the ball, less of a goal threat in terms of assisting or scoring, Slower thought process on the ball, slower to close players down and less of a physical presence all over the pitch and probably many more things. The only thing Carrick has over Bastian in my view today is his passes along the floor from deep when there's no pressure on him and those are getting rarer by the day.

I think you just made another mistake again. He was our best midfielder 2 seasons ago. Without him we lost and clueless because none can dictate a tempo like him in 2014/2015 and our winning ratio was more than 70% when he plays in that season.

As a proof:
He played some great passes through the lines in that season but he didn't "dictate" the games. He and RVP were crucial to our success that season though no doubt, it was probably his best season with us since 2007.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I'd like us to play Carrick, Bastian and Pogba. Schneiderlin can come in for one of Carrick or Bastian when we need more legs.

Minimalist

Only eejits take anything from spliced up videos like those above. I mean that CL 2008 one is an insomnia cure with Carrick literally doing feck all with the ball 99% of the time. Feck sake, I watched that game! He was totally unremarkable, why the hell is there a highlight reel for that?

Of course nobody appears to have mentioned that Carrick cost us goals last season on numerous occasions by either having a brainfart (Liverpool) or being rag dolled in the box (Wolfsburg).

Carrick has a cult like following by some United supporters. It's not healthy. He was rubbish last season and how on earth that's even in question is hilarious in a sad way.

I appreciate his strengths believe it or not (I do love a midfielder who can be 100% composed on the ball) but most of those are gone now and his mobility is so poor that his strengths are unlikely to be seen consistently ever again. Literally put a close marking midfielder on him and you take him out of the game - how the hell is that supposed to be acceptable for us?

Prodigal7

Only eejits take anything from spliced up videos like those above. I mean that CL 2008 one is an insomnia cure with Carrick literally doing feck all with the ball 99% of the time. Feck sake, I watched that game! He was totally unremarkable, why the hell is there a highlight reel for that?

Of course nobody appears to have mentioned that Carrick cost us goals last season on numerous occasions by either having a brainfart (Liverpool) or being rag dolled in the box (Wolfsburg).

Carrick has a cult like following by some United supporters. It's not healthy. He was rubbish last season and how on earth that's even in question is hilarious in a sad way.

I appreciate his strengths believe it or not (I do love a midfielder who can be 100% composed on the ball) but most of those are gone now and his mobility is so poor that his strengths are unlikely to be seen consistently ever again. Literally put a close marking midfielder on him and you take him out of the game - how the hell is that supposed to be acceptable for us?
Agreed. Schweinsteiger was anything but spectacular last season, probably mediocre at best. But Carrick was just dire, really dire.

Mike09

Those youtube videos prove absolutely nothing bar the first one and the last one which shows he made a defence splitting pass over the top at least twice in his career. They're also all fanboy videos so it's quite clear that they are edited to show Carrick in his best light.
Do you really want me to post a load of Schweinsteiger fanboy videos and ask you about all the things I think Schweinsteiger can do and Carrick couldn't (by the way I think Schweinsteiger can do all of those things that Carrick has done and more and I'm sure fanboy videos would show that)?

"Like I said before I don't know what Schweinsteiger did last season to make him more different with what Carrick did last season. At least Carrick can play more games and stay fit."

I think that sums up the Carrick tinted angle some people are looking at this argument from. in my view Carrick is less mobile, slower on the ball, less of a goal threat in terms of assisting or scoring, Slower thought process on the ball, slower to close players down and less of a physical presence all over the pitch and probably many more things. The only thing Carrick has over Bastian in my view today is his passes along the floor from deep when there's no pressure on him and those are getting rarer by the day.
Yea bring it show me. You start it right? Our discussion was about passing. And I said Carrick is a better passer with a proof of videos. It's not a fan boy videos but it shows a reality of Carrick is a better passer and can also make a pass when under pressure. Give me those "fans boy video" to prove your point if Schweinsteiger is a better passer than Carrick. Carrick is a no6 while Schweinsteiger was a no8. You can talk who is being mobile when clearly they are different player. There are many stuff Carrick is better than Schweinsteiger. But also there are stuff Schweinsteiger is better. Your point of being more mobile and score more goals are so invalid to #6.

Mike09

Agreed. Schweinsteiger was anything but spectacular last season, probably mediocre at best. But Carrick was just dire, really dire.
Again what did Schweinsteiger do again last season? You clearly admitted a mistake about him playing more games than Carrick. So it makes me wonder if you actually watch both all Carrick and Schweinsteiger games.

Schweinsteiger was clearly missed most of the games and dire because he was unfit when he played and spent his times with physio. I really don't know how can Schweinsteiger was mediocre at best when he did nothing much at all last season, while clearly Carrick did more.

Just to remind you Draxler goal:

Mike09

Not healthy :lol: what would it make for Schweinsteiger then?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What is the point of this? Carrick has aged another year and will probably play less games than last season. He's not competing for a starting spot anymore, but as a useful backup.

Mike09

What is the point of this? Carrick has aged another year and will probably play less games than last season. He's not competing for a starting spot anymore, but as a useful backup.
We pay £80k per week as a backup. Not £200k per week.

fishfingers15

Not healthy :lol: what would it make for Schweinsteiger then?

Congratulations, Carrick was better than an awful Schweinsteiger. Let's move on then.

We pay £80k per week as a backup. Not £200k per week.
It's not your money anyway. Why are posters so bothered about salary and transfer wages? Club would obviously release a player if they think he's on a big wage packet. Are you crying a river about Rooney's 300K salary just to mess up the balance of our midfield?

Mike09

Congratulations, Carrick was better than an awful Schweinsteiger. Let's move on then.

It's not your money anyway. Why are posters so bothered about salary and transfer wages? Club would obviously release a player if they think he's on a big wage packet. Are you crying a river about Rooney's 300K salary just to mess up the balance of our midfield?
You are moaning about Rooney's 250k and showed poor performance. but Schweinsteiger has done nothing last season but injured and unfit but he got 200k and you aren't moaning with that?

Prodigal7

Ok @Mike09 , going through the youtbube fanboy videos like you seem to want, watch these and tell me that you still think Carrick is a better passer than Schweinsteiger.
One touch passing, long range, short range, forward, side to side switching, vision etc Scweinsteiger wins comfortably. I cannot fathom how anyone would call Carrick a better passer. There is much more to passing than sitting in front of the defence in acres of space and threading some neat balls through the oppo midfield.

Again what did Schweinsteiger do again last season? You clearly admitted a mistake about him playing more games than Carrick. So it makes me wonder if you actually watch both all Carrick and Schweinsteiger games.

Schweinsteiger was clearly missed most of the games and dire because he was unfit when he played and spent his times with physio. I really don't know how can Schweinsteiger was mediocre at best when he did nothing much at all last season, while clearly Carrick did more.

Just to remind you Draxler goal:
I was looking at the wrong stats re number of games, big deal.
Watch the United video. This is more than Carrick did all season.
Look, you're not going to change your mind so there is little point in debating this.

Btw I really rated Carrick as a player. He was unique in the way he played and gave us a lot in a 442 and counter attacking 433 when he was younger starting attacks really well. But Bastian is and has always been a better passer than Carrick and a better player

YouOnlyLiveTwice

A big problem with the Schweinsteiger vs Carrick debate is that Schweini mainly played as a box-to-box and Carrick DM.

If you expect a midfielder to run around the pitch tackling and getting up and down the pitch Carrick isn't the player for you.

I think a player like Carrick is vital to every team. Look at Alonso, Pirlo, Busquets, i won't compare his level to them, but they are in the same category of deep lying playmakers.

I think Schweinsteiger prefers the DM role now that he is old and lacks the stamina to be everywhere on the pitch, but with the injuries and Carrick being better in that role we don't really need Schweini.

I would be happy with keeping him in the squad though.

fishfingers15

You are moaning about Rooney's 250k and showed poor performance. but Schweinsteiger has done nothing last season but injured and unfit but he got 200k and you aren't moaning with that?
No, I'm not moaning. I'm just telling you that you are moaning about salaries and if everyone starts like you, there will only be whinging and moaning in this site. Let Rooney and Schweinsteiger earn what the club pays him. We don't have to worry about 80K/200K/350K

acnumber9

Clearly. What are these two examples? If you're going to mention the one against Bruges then you're scraping the barrel on that one. It was like playing against a team of children. What position is Schweinsteiger taking up that makes his passes more difficult? He was about as cowardly on the ball as they came last season. If he was a much better passer before then he's regressed worse than I thought. Schweinsteiger's ability wasn't his passing. It was his drive. Thats gone with his ability to run.

fishfingers15

And this entire, but but but Carrick was better than Schweinsteiger last season makes no sense, unless you are pleased that both of the players are sold by the club. Justifying one player mediocrity by highlighting another player's wretched form is a bit odd.

Maybe due to contract obligations and the wretched injury and form of many players last year, Schweinsteiger gets another chance this year. I personally like him and he's a great player. Whether he has lost it remains to be seen, but if the club transfer him, then so be it.

acnumber9

You must be on the wine to suggest Carrick is in better nick than BFS.

How someone looks (conditioning) isn't necessarily how they perform. Carrick looks in shape but he's a fecking pensioner once he steps out on the field.

100% would rather have BFS in the side over Carrick. Carrick is a mouse too and we could do with an actual leader in midfield.
That will have something to do with being four years older. Schweinsteiger is busted within ten minutes in every game he plays. It's obvious to the naked eye he isn't anywhere near fit enough and given his game was about being all action it leaves nothing left but a glorified Tom Cleverley.

Prodigal7

That will have something to do with being four years older. Schweinsteiger is busted within ten minutes in every game he plays. It's obvious to the naked eye he isn't anywhere near fit enough and given his game was about being all action it leaves nothing left but a glorified Tom Cleverley.
If Schweinsteiger moved as much as Carrick over 90 minutes I doubt he'd even break a sweat.

Clearly. What are these two examples? If you're going to mention the one against Bruges then you're scraping the barrel on that one. It was like playing against a team of children. What position is Schweinsteiger taking up that makes his passes more difficult? He was about as cowardly on the ball as they came last season. If he was a much better passer before then he's regressed worse than I thought. Schweinsteiger's ability wasn't his passing. It was his drive. Thats gone with his ability to run.
I recall a pass to put Mata through on goal over the top and another to put Depay through on goal, not great for a whole season but that's still 2 better than Carrick and they may or may not have been Europa league. Schweinsteiger is surrounded by players whenever he gets the ball because he's not retreating back to the defence like a sweeper. Carrick looked petrified unless he dad a good 5 yards between him and the next oppo player and he was far more cowardly on the ball than Schweinsteiger last season - at least Scweinsteiger tried to make things happen going forward. He's lost a lot of his attributes but even so, he was still better than Carrick this season.

Last edited:

Mike09

Ok @Mike09 , going through the youtbube fanboy videos like you seem to want, watch these and tell me that you still think Carrick is a better passer than Schweinsteiger.
One touch passing, long range, short range, forward, side to side switching, vision etc Scweinsteiger wins comfortably. I cannot fathom how anyone would call Carrick a better passer. There is much more to passing than sitting in front of the defence in acres of space and threading some neat balls through the oppo midfield.

I was looking at the wrong stats re number of games, big deal.
Watch the United video. This is more than Carrick did all season.
Look, you're not going to change your mind so there is little point in debating this.

Btw I really rated Carrick as a player. He was unique in the way he played and gave us a lot in a 442 and counter attacking 433 when he was younger starting attacks really well. But Bastian is and has always been a better passer than Carrick and a better player
Really? You need 5 video of fanboy? I only put 1 video of fan boy and the rest weren't fanboy but all touches in one game only.
I only watched the two videos, and none of those passes is able to beat the one I asked you in the video I have at 00:43-00:50. Did you even watch it? Watch it and beat that one (you don't have to beat the Chelsea's assist since it was too hard). I remind you that video is only 2014/2015 season which is not in his prime and you can find so many passes which are better than the passes in the videos you gave me which are more than one season.
If you want I can give you more than 15 minutes of his 2012/2013 which is when he is called as the best forward passer in Europe in that season. You can even find much better ones. Just let me know if you want, I'll be glad to share it to you.

devips

Carrick slower on the ball? A lot of times last season, Basti literally went to sleep in the middle of the pitch with the ball at his feet, wrecking the team's tempo.

Mike09

No, I'm not moaning. I'm just telling you that you are moaning about salaries and if everyone starts like you, there will only be whinging and moaning in this site. Let Rooney and Schweinsteiger earn what the club pays him. We don't have to worry about 80K/200K/350K
I'm not moaning about salary. I'm moaning about people like you are being unfair to judge players. Player like Carrick got worse criticism.
And Rooney got criticism because he is paid for 250k and showed a performance which is not worthy.
But Schweinsteiger got a credit for doing nothing and spent most of his time with his injury last season.

Prodigal7

Really? You need 5 video of fanboy? I only put 1 video of fan boy and the rest weren't fanboy but all touches in one game only.
I only watched the two videos, and none of those passes is able to beat the one I asked you in the video I have at 00:43-00:50. Did you even watch it? Watch it and beat that one (you don't have to beat the Chelsea's assist since it was too hard). I remind you that video is only 2014/2015 season which is not in his prime and you can find so many passes which are better than the passes in the videos you gave me which are more than one season.
If you want I can give you more than 15 minutes of his 2012/2013 which is when he is called as the best forward passer in Europe in that season. You can even find much better ones. Just let me know if you want, I'll be glad to share it to you.
Good god. Carrick attempted a pass over the top in 2014 that turned out really well, therefore Carricks passing > Schweinsteigers :lol:
if you want to use other vids fecking look for yourself, but judging by your reasoning here you might as well look at a Scholes and Xavi passing compilation and say that none were as good as the one you've mentioned, therefore Carrick > Scholes and Xavi combined. Lets leave it at that shall we.

Mike09

Carrick slower on the ball? A lot of times last season, Basti literally went to sleep in the middle of the pitch with the ball at his feet, wrecking the team's tempo.
This!
I really don't know what Schweinsteiger has done last season.

acnumber9

eing rag dolled in the box (Wolfsburg).
The Wolfsburg game probably isn't the best game to use as evidence Schweinsteiger was better than Carrick given the way he was waltzed past for Wolfsburg's second goal.

Prodigal7

But Schweinsteiger got a credit for doing nothing and spent most of his time with his injury last season.
Schweinsteiger is getting a huge amount of disproportionate criticism here in light of bias towards Carrick, who was even worse this season, that's the issue.

acnumber9

If Schweinsteiger moved as much as Carrick over 90 minutes I doubt he'd even break a sweat.

I recall a pass to put Mata through on goal over the top and another to put Depay through on goal, not great for a whole season but that's still 2 better than Carrick and they may or may not have been Europa league. Schweinsteiger is surrounded by players whenever he gets the ball because he's not retreating back to the defence like a sweeper. Carrick looked petrified unless he dad a good 5 yards between him and the next oppo player and he was far more cowardly on the ball than Schweinsteiger last season - at least Scweinsteiger tried to make things happen going forward. He's lost a lot of his attributes but even so, he was still better than Carrick this season.
Jesus. Watch a game of football. I'd be amazed if Schweinsteiger covered more ground than Carrick. Only three covered more ground on average than Carrick in the 14/15 season. Why let reality get in the way though. You're living in cloud cuckoo land. Your recollections can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Mike09

Good god. Carrick attempted a pass over the top in 2014 that turned out really well, therefore Carricks passing > Schweinsteigers :lol:
if you want to use other vids fecking look for yourself, but judging by your reasoning here you might as well look at a Scholes and Xavi passing compilation and say that none were as good as the one you've mentioned, therefore Carrick > Scholes and Xavi combined. Lets leave it at that shall we.
Did you even watch the videos? The way how he dictate a tempo with any range of passing, one touch passing, short passing, vision, switching play, long range, forward. How can Schweinsteiger won comfortably. It's laughable mate. If you can't respond it don't be sarcastic. This is for discussion!

Prodigal7

Did you even watch the videos? The way how he dictate a tempo with any range of passing, one touch passing, short passing, vision, switching play, long range, forward. How can Schweinsteiger won comfortably. It's laughable mate. If you can't respond it don't be sarcastic. This is for discussion!

Of course I watched the videos and I'm struggling to understand how you can call that dictating play and how you can realistically say after watching whatever passing compilations of both players that Carrick is a better passer than Schweinsteiger. The mind boggles. Nearly all of those Carrick clips are of a single pass, very little one touch passing and certainly nothing that compares to the intricate passing Bastian has shown throughout his career so... :lol: look, we have different opinions here so there's no point in going on "discussing" as you put it, because you're seeing something completely different from me when you watch these.
Like I said before, you will never find a single unbiased top player who will tell you that Carrick is a better passer or player than Schweinsteiger now or over the course of their careers.
Jesus. Watch a game of football. I'd be amazed if Schweinsteiger covered more ground than Carrick. Only three covered more ground on average than Carrick in the 14/15 season. Why let reality get in the way though. You're living in cloud cuckoo land. Your recollections can be taken with a pinch of salt.
I'm not talking about last season I'm talking about this season. Carrick had a much more restricted and disciplined role this season with Schneiderlin/Herrera and sometimes even Schweinsteiger himself acting as his midfielder partner with the legs to cover for his lack of mobility, whilst he sits even deeper. His transformation into almost total immobility has been tragic, even in the space of 1 year. I'm sure there must be stats somewhere to show that.

Mike09

Schweinsteiger is getting a huge amount of disproportionate criticism here in light of bias towards Carrick, who was even worse this season, that's the issue.
Biased? You were the one who was being biased from the first place comparing #6 like Carrick to #8 of Schweinsteiger. Read your comment and see how biased was that. Schweinsteiger has done nothing much at all but being unfit, slow and injured.

I remind you again:

acnumber9

Of course I watched the videos and I'm struggling to understand how you can call that dictating play and how you can realistically say after watching whatever passing compilations of both players that Carrick is a better passer than Schweinsteiger. The mind boggles. Nearly all of those Carrick clips are of a single pass, very little one touch passing and certainly nothing that compares to the intricate passing Bastian has shown throughout his career so... :lol: look, we have different opinions here so there's no point in going on "discussing" as you put it, because you're seeing something completely different from me when you watch these.
Like I said before, you will never find a single unbiased top player who will tell you that Carrick is a better passer or player than Schweinsteiger now or over the course of their careers.

I'm not talking about last season I'm talking about this season. Carrick had a much more restricted and disciplined role this season with Schneiderlin/Herrera and sometimes even Schweinsteiger himself acting as his midfielder partner with the legs to cover for his lack of mobility, whilst he sits even deeper. His transformation into almost total immobility has been tragic, even in the space of 1 year. I'm sure there must be stats somewhere to show that.
Well since you're the one telling us how much Schweinsteiger runs more than him then you could kindly provide them. In the meantime all we have are your recollections which have been utter nonsense so far. Watch a game and see the sheer state of Schwensteiger huffing and puffing his way through the first half for evidence. He'll be lucky to still be playing at 35 much less the level Carrick is.

Status
Not open for further replies.