6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal7

Biased? You were the one who was being biased from the first place comparing #6 like Carrick to #8 of Schweinsteiger. Read your comment and see how biased was that. Schweinsteiger has done nothing much at all but being unfit, slow and injured.

I remind you again:
Schweinsteiger fecked up, I know. Carrick has also fecked up a lot of times, why do you insist on posting a video of the Wolsburg game as a way to show that Carrick had a better season than Scweinsteiger?

Mike09

Of course I watched the videos and I'm struggling to understand how you can call that dictating play and how you can realistically say after watching whatever passing compilations of both players that Carrick is a better passer than Schweinsteiger. The mind boggles. Nearly all of those Carrick clips are of a single pass, very little one touch passing and certainly nothing that compares to the intricate passing Bastian has shown throughout his career and mostly from very deep positions with hardly any pressure on him so... :lol: look, we have different opinions here so there's no point in going on "discussing" as you put it, because you're seeing something completely different from me when you watch these.
Like I said before, you will never find a single unbiased top player who will tell you that Carrick is a better passer or player than Schweinsteiger now or over the course of their careers.

I'm not talking about last season I'm talking about this season. Carrick had a much more restricted and disciplined role this season with Schneiderlin/Herrera and sometimes even Schweinsteiger himself acting as his midfielder partner with the legs to cover for his lack of mobility, whilst he sits even deeper. His transformation into almost total immobility has been tragic, even in the space of 1 year. I'm sure there must be stats somewhere to show that.
I wonder if you even understand what is dictating a tempo. Come to think about it, I'm not surprised if you don't understand it. From the beginning you were just being biased to compare 2 different role #6 and #8 and also your comments are starting to become so sarcastic.

Mike09

Schweinsteiger fecked up, I know. Carrick has also fecked up a lot of times, why do you insist on posting a video of the Wolsburg game as a way to show that Carrick had a better season than Scweinsteiger?
Just to remind you. You even made mistake for mentioning Schweinsteiger had more games than Carrick. So Im really starting to think that you might missed a lot of our games which that one could be one of those games you missed.

Prodigal7

I wonder if you even understand what is dictating a tempo. Come to think about it, I'm not surprised if you don't understand it. From the beginning you were just being biased to compare 2 different role #6 and #8 and also your comments are starting to become so sarcastic.
Schweinsteiger is a 6 who can make runs forward. Pogba for example is an 8 - he's not defence minded enough to play as a holding midfielder but Bastian is and has been for both Bayern and Germany. Khedira is the NT replacement for Schweini, both are 6s in my book but obviously this is subjective and Schweini has been used as an 8. It's difficult to label him to a certain position.

Ok let me explain my thoughts on what dictating the tempo of a game relates to and you can tell me I'm right or wrong Mike :lol::
You receive the ball, with players around you. With the composure and ability to shield the ball in close proximity to other players you then pass to a teammate in space and move to pick up the ball again, the pace at which this process is completed is how you control the tempo of a game and if you want to be aggressive to score you do this at a high tempo, if you want to defend a lead or get your team into a game where the oppo is dominating you, you slow the pace of the game down. Carrick has not controlled the tempo of a game for a long time because he finds it very difficult, especially in the last few years, to move into a good position to re-collect the ball after he has passed it. So what we get (even to a large degree in his prime days) is a nice pass through a few players but he's nowhere near enough to the ball afterwards to collect it and go again. That's what made Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc (the total dictators of games) really special. Their speed and endurance, combined with their Football IQ in knowing where the ball and their teammates will be when they pass and collect the ball means they control an entire game. Being in the right position to collect the ball and recirculate possession after you've passed it is just as important as making the pass in the first place, otherwise the move breaks down and we end up passing it backwards again.
Do you think it's a coincidence that we create less in the final third now that Scholes has retired even though he rarely made assists himself? It's because Carrick can't dictate a game anymore and even in his prime has struggled. Like Gerrard, he tries to compensate by being a sort of "quarterback" sitting deep and threading balls through the lines, only Gerrard has a better range of passing than him so takes his spot for England. Which is better out of those 2 overall is another debate altogether. One thing for sure, neither are near the quality of a Scholes/Xavi/Pirlo/Busquets.

If you have your own detailed explanation of what dictating the tempo of a game is, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I'm not moaning about salary. I'm moaning about people like you are being unfair to judge players. Player like Carrick got worse criticism.
And Rooney got criticism because he is paid for 250k and showed a performance which is not worthy.
But Schweinsteiger got a credit for doing nothing and spent most of his time with his injury last season.
Look at this forum, majority of posters are happy to see him sold. Whatchu doing talking about man? :lol:

Mike09

So you want everybody on this site to diss Schweinsteiger that he's no good while you post irrelevant videos from youtube?
Do I need to repeat this again? What Schweinsteiger has done last season that he deserves the credit to have a better season than Carrick?

The video has nothing to do with you mate, someone else started an argument by talking about "passing".

SoCross

He was good in the early part of the season. I love the guy, hope it works out with him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One of LVG's many mistake. Rumoured to be on around £200k a week and offers next to nothing for us. Has the fitness levels of Anderson.

Prodigal7

Just to remind you. You even made mistake for mentioning Schweinsteiger had more games than Carrick. So Im really starting to think that you might missed a lot of our games which that one could be one of those games you missed.
Well I didn't miss that game so you can rest assured. I watched all bar a few of our games this season.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Memories are short sometimes.

Bastian was one of our better players last season until he got injuried in December. We were top of the table at that time. I have recorded every game from last season, do it every year so I watch the games again when I can't sleep, and Schweiny was our best midfielder whenever fit.

I'm quite sure that if he can stay fit he will be a starter most of the time we play 433.

Prodigal7

Memories are short sometimes.

Bastian was one of our better players last season until he got injuried in December. We were top of the table at that time. I have recorded every game from last season, do it every year so I watch the games again when I can't sleep, and Schweiny was our best midfielder whenever fit.

I'm quite sure that if he can stay fit he will be a starter most of the time we play 433.
I personally think Scweinsteiger has been targeted by the media and sections of our fanbase unfairly for the most part, though I can understand people might have fitness worries abut him. I do wonder how muh our fans are influenced by the media reports about him as well.
If he stays and plays next to Pogba next season I think he'll be really good for us and good for Pogba too.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope he stays. Thought he was one of our better players when he wasn't injured. We missed him over the Christmas period as well, courtesy of the West Ham player getting him banned during that period. I reckon if that hadn't happened, we would not have lost all three games.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Crazy to think we have Bastisn Schweinsteiger and our fan base is split on whether to get rid of him or not after a season where he didn't play bad but because he was injured.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Crazy to think we have Bastisn Schweinsteiger and our fan base is split on whether to get rid of him or not after a season where he didn't play bad but because he was injured.
Especially as he's a leader and we're sorely lacking those in our dressing room. Getting lots of talented players is all well and good, but they need the right mentality, and having good leaders around helps in that regard.

acnumber9

Especially as he's a leader and we're sorely lacking those in our dressing room. Getting lots of talented players is all well and good, but they need the right mentality, and having good leaders around helps in that regard.
Not much good in the dressing room when he's flouncing about in Germany.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He did barely anything more than point around and catch his breath.

He'll hardly be missed if he goes. We have a menagerie of underperforming central midfielders so I'm completely indifferent as to which of them go but I predict Basti will most certainly be one.

Mike09

Well I didn't miss that game so you can rest assured. I watched all bar a few of our games this season.
Really?
So me and Mourinho has the same opinion, but you had different one. Must be watching different games then.
The fact that Mourinho offered a year extension contract to a 35 years old Michael Carrick shows how he's not confident with Schweinsteiger in his midfield. Simply because Schweinsteiger has done nothing much but being unfit and did worse than what Carrick did last season. If Mourinho thinks Schweinsteiger and the rest of our midfield are good enough, he wouldn't need to keep a 35 years old Carrick. It shows how poor our midfield were last season, that we still need to rely on 35 years old.

AkaAkuma

How much of a presence was he when he was injured? Was he still in the country?

legball

He's not as good as he used to be, which is normal after you turn 30, but he's still class, and was quite good for us until he got injured, like Carrick, i think they still have something good to offer, he can control games, I hope we keep him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It's not like he's getting in the way of anyone or we need the money from his transfer. I don't see a reason to sell him now unless he wants to go. He's got valuable experience and leadership that could only help in the dressing room. If other players perform better, they will play. That was never a problem last season.

By looking at the comments here it looks like people just want to sell him as a punishment for not being good enough and disappointing them. How would that actually help the team?

Glideman

I think we should keep him, he played well most times he played, he was just injured a lot

Prodigal7

Really?
So me and Mourinho has the same opinion, but you had different one. Must be watching different games then.
The fact that Mourinho offered a year extension contract to a 35 years old Michael Carrick shows how he's not confident with Schweinsteiger in his midfield. Simply because Schweinsteiger has done nothing much but being unfit and did worse than what Carrick did last season. If Mourinho thinks Schweinsteiger and the rest of our midfield are good enough, he wouldn't need to keep a 35 years old Carrick. It shows how poor our midfield were last season, that we still need to rely on 35 years old.
Feck sake you must wear Michael Carrick themed pyjamas :lol:

The contract extension has nothing to do with whether Basti was better than Carrick or not. You think Giggs got a 1 year contract every year from his mid 30s onwards because he was a key fixture of the first team? No, clearly not. He got it because he was a key figure in the dressing room and the club felt it beneficial to keep him on. Same goes for Terry at Chelsea this season.

Carrick is popular in the dressing room and Mourinho wants to get the dressing room on his side early. Maybe he can contribute well to the squad in the matches he plays, but he'll have to do a lot better than last season. Carrick is very unlikely to be a starter next season and Mourinho certainly won't be "relying" on him. He'll probably be on the bench more often that not.

We clearly played our best football of the season with a Basti/Schneiderlin partnership up until December when Basti got injured and struggled to come back. He was our best midfielder up until that point and no worse than Carrick post injury in the second half of the season. Given your obsession with youtube videos perhaps you'd like to post one of Carrick this season gone and compare it to Basti's? I think even the fanboys have shied away from making a Carrick video for the 15/16 season.

Unless we bring in another #6 type player I'd like to see a fully fit and recuperated Schweinsteiger partner Pogba next season. If we bring in someone like Matic then neither Basti or Carrick would be first choice and I think Basti would definitely be off in that case, (which would be fine with me) though I'd be disappointed for him that he didn't lift the PL in his time with us.

Mike09

The contract extension has nothing to do with whether Basti was better than Carrick or not. You think Giggs got a 1 year contract every year from his mid 30s onwards because he was a key fixture of the first team? No, clearly not. He got it because he was a key figure in the dressing room and the club felt it beneficial to keep him on. Same goes for Terry at Chelsea this season.

Carrick is popular in the dressing room and Mourinho wants to get the dressing room on his side early. Maybe he can contribute well to the squad in the matches he plays, but he'll have to do a lot better than last season. Carrick is very unlikely to be a starter next season and Mourinho certainly won't be "relying" on him. He'll probably be on the bench more often that not.
Firstly, I'm going to mention your first comment yesterday about Schweinsteiger being a leader based on a goal he scored against Leicester and Carrick doesn't have :lol: that was so biased.
And now you are trying to tell me that Carrick got an extension contract because of the dressing room. Although it's true but you don't just give any players an extension only for dressing room without considering the player's performance and club situation.

Why did Lampard not getting an extension when he was clearly wanted to stay at Chelsea? He could be a key figure in dressing room. It was clear because Fabregas can outperform him in midfield at that age.

Why did Terry got his extension contract? Because he was clearly still better than the awful Cahill, he can also still help the dressing room, and can be considered to be a homegrown player which what Chelsea is lacking right now.

Stop talking nonsense mate if you know nothing about Scholes and Giggs situation at the club :lol:, they didn't get an extension because the manager want it!
Scholes and Giggs are the ones who asked for extension contract! Sir Alex mentioned it in his book that players like Scholes and Giggs can stay at the club whenever they want or they feel. That's why they always got an extension when the season finished to let them to choose if they still want to play or stop.
In Carrick scenario is different, we waited until end of season because of the new manager's decision. The manager thinks he can still play important role for him both on the pitch and dressing room simply because Mourinho isn't confident with Schweinsteiger and the other midfields due to their performance last season.

Feck sake you must wear Michael Carrick themed pyjamas :lol:

We clearly played our best football of the season with a Basti/Schneiderlin partnership up until December when Basti got injured and struggled to come back. He was our best midfielder up until that point and no worse than Carrick post injury in the second half of the season. Given your obsession with youtube videos perhaps you'd like to post one of Carrick this season gone and compare it to Basti's? I think even the fanboys have shied away from making a Carrick video for the 15/16 season.

Unless we bring in another #6 type player I'd like to see a fully fit and recuperated Schweinsteiger partner Pogba next season. If we bring in someone like Matic then neither Basti or Carrick would be first choice and I think Basti would definitely be off in that case, (which would be fine with me) though I'd be disappointed for him that he didn't lift the PL in his time with us.

How does that even work ffs? Just because you can't accept people's opinion doesn't mean you can being sarcastic. In that case, Im starting to wonder if you actually the one who wear Bastian Schweinsteiger themed pyjamas :lol:

Prodigal7

Firstly, I'm going to mention your first comment yesterday about Schweinsteiger being a leader based on a goal he scored against Leicester and Carrick doesn't have :lol: that was so biased.
And now you are trying to tell me that Carrick got an extension contract because of the dressing room. Although it's true but you don't just give any players an extension only for dressing room without considering the player's performance and club situation.

Why did Lampard not getting an extension when he was clearly wanted to stay at Chelsea? He could be a key figure in dressing room. It was clear because Fabregas can outperform him in midfield at that age.

Why did Terry got his extension contract? Because he was clearly still better than the awful Cahill, he can also still help the dressing room, and can be considered to be a homegrown player which what Chelsea is lacking right now.

Stop talking nonsense mate if you know nothing about Scholes and Giggs situation at the club :lol:, they didn't get an extension because the manager want it!
Scholes and Giggs are the ones who asked for extension contract! Sir Alex mentioned it in his book that players like Scholes and Giggs can stay at the club whenever they want or they feel. That's why they always got an extension when the season finished to let them to choose if they still want to play or stop.
In Carrick scenario is different, we waited until end of season because of the new manager's decision. The manager thinks he can still play important role for him both on the pitch and dressing room simply because Mourinho isn't confident with Schweinsteiger and the other midfields due to their performance last season.

How does that even work ffs? Just because you can't accept people's opinion doesn't mean you can being sarcastic. In that case, Im starting to wonder if you actually the one who wear Bastian Schweinsteiger themed pyjamas :lol:
I can't make any sense of this post whatsoever. It's like you've just whiped our arse on it and put a few questions marks in their for good measure. I'm done with this conversation. I think Basti was better than Carrick last season and you don't, lets leave it at that before I get banned. I've no interest in "discussing" this any further.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

He started the season well but injuries affected him which has been the story of his career lately. His passing seemed more crisp and adventurous at the start of the season. Towards the end, he never seemed to try any defence splitting balls and kept it simple, also when he was pressed aggressively he seemed to give it away a lot.

If he is used right this year, then he could have a good impact. He's still only 31/32, the ability is there to dictate a game so hopefully he can stay clear of injury.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I find it funny how every player except BFS and Rooney gets to use the "playing bad because of LvG card".
Before the injury, BFS was our best and most stable midfielder.
Not a flashy player, but a good leader, passer, and dictates the tempo of games.
Agree with @Prodigal7 , you go girl! ;)

I also want to post this, which i also posted in last season's BFS thread, i know many will be surprised.
This article is 3-4 months old, so we're talking march'ish.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/sa...anchester-uniteds-second-fastest-player/70922

Mike09

I can't make any sense of this post whatsoever. It's like you've just whiped our arse on it and put a few questions marks in their for good measure. I'm done with this conversation. I think Basti was better than Carrick this season and you don't, lets leave it at that before I get banned. I've no interest in "discussing" this any further.
Sounds like I just talked to someone who can't accept facts and doesn't understand about rhetorical questions.

Bojan11

Lots of papers saying he is going to be the biggest casualty in players exodus.

Hopefully it isn't true. Rather keep him for one season.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If players have to be sold he would be top of my list

Stole a wage last season and was as I predicted a pointless signing

Status
Not open for further replies.