Bastian Schweinsteiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLars

I'd be very surprised if we did end up getting up, but at the same time I'd be even more surprised if the club isn't actually looking into the possibility of making it happen. I think he'd be an absolute monster for us, and be a perfect piece in the central line to form our next all-conquering team for which most of the foundation has already been laid.

Nucks

RT History Department
Hate to put a dampener on things.

Bayern Munich have ruled out a January sale for Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says Schweinsteiger will not be going anywhere before his contract expires in 2012.

Schweinsteiger has been linked with a big-money move to Manchester United in the British press in recent days and has previously been connected to Chelsea.

But speaking at Bayern's AGM, Rummenigge said: "We will not be letting the player go before his contract ends in 2012 in any case.

"Bastian has developed a great deal in the last two years and I am very optimistic that we and his agents can find an agreement.

"Our aim is to give Bastian a long-term contract."
Translation "He is too valuable for us, under no circumstances would we allow Bastian to leave...

Unless you offered us say, 25 million Euro!?"

Enigma_87

You know who
Shh. You will offend some people here. We have a fantastic squad of potential world beaters.
yes but with shite CM. And with Scholes near retirement it won't get any better.

We should really go for him.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
yes but with shite CM. And with Scholes near retirement it won't get any better.

We should really go for him.
Top of the league with shite CMs :rolleyes:

I agree that Schweinsteiger is class and exactly what we need once Scholes departs us though.

Name Changed

weso26
He only problem I can envisage is that we don't really have a midfield partner to suit him. In fact, Anderson would be his best partner on paper, in my opinion. The only problem is that Anderson is extremely inconsistent and he has yet to show that he can make that step further. I don't think that either Carrick or Fletcher would be ideal partners for him. Scholes would be the best, but he's close to retirement. If we bought Schweinsteiger, I think buying someone to play along side him would be inevitable to be honest.

RedLars

He only problem I can envisage is that we don't really have a midfield partner to suit him. In fact, Anderson would be his best partner on paper, in my opinion. The only problem is that Anderson is extremely inconsistent and he has yet to show that he can make that step further. I don't think that either Carrick or Fletcher would be ideal partners for him. Scholes would be the best, but he's close to retirement. If we bought Schweinsteiger, I think buying someone to play along side him would be inevitable to be honest.
Depends on how we set out to play really. Fergie's been tinkering with the 4-2-3-1 setup a bit lately, and that's where he's shone the most when I've seen him play. Fletcher would be ideal next to him, but in my opinion we don't really have anyone who fits naturally in "the whole" in that formation as of right now.

In matches against opposition that isn't considered top notch, I think he would work well enough with Fletcher in a 4-4-2, but possibly even better with Anderson as you mentioned.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Anderson is best as one of the 2 in the middle, his ability to run the ball past the oppositions midfield is his most creative assest

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
For Germany he played alongside Khedira, who to me seems very similar to Fletcher. For Bayern he played alongside Van Bommel, and although we don't really have anyone that similar to him we have Carrick who plays the same sitting role just with more of an emphasis on passing or we have Fletcher who has the tough-tackling, keep-it-simple similarity of style, with a bit more of an emphasis on forward running.

He's never really excelled (or played?) alongside someone like Anderson so it's hard to say how he'd do, I think.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
For Germany he played alongside Khedira, who to me seems very similar to Fletcher. For Bayern he played alongside Van Bommel, and although we don't really have anyone that similar to him we have Carrick who plays the same sitting role just with more of an emphasis on passing or we have Fletcher who has the tough-tackling, keep-it-simple similarity of style, with a bit more of an emphasis on forward running.

He's never really excelled (or played?) alongside someone like Anderson so it's hard to say how he'd do, I think.
Anderson? Unless he dramatically changes he isnt exactly the player i'd imediately think of putting along side Schweinsteiger.

Enigma_87

You know who

I agree that Schweinsteiger is class and exactly what we need once Scholes departs us though.
speaks volumes about Fergie's managerial skills doesn't it? There's no team that excelled so far in the season and all the top teams have underperformed.

It's not like we don't know there's a problem in CM. With Scholes near retirement and Fletcher having not so good season I don't think we will win the league with what we've got. The season is long.

We're 2 CM short of having a really well balanced team.

Name Changed

weso26

Neither Bayern nor Germany played typical regular 4-4-2 systems as we do. Both have an abundance of players that pack the middle. Ozil did it for Germany in the World Cup for example.

Name Changed

weso26
Depends on how we set out to play really. Fergie's been tinkering with the 4-2-3-1 setup a bit lately, and that's where he's shone the most when I've seen him play. Fletcher would be ideal next to him, but in my opinion we don't really have anyone who fits naturally in "the whole" in that formation as of right now.

In matches against opposition that isn't considered top notch, I think he would work well enough with Fletcher in a 4-4-2, but possibly even better with Anderson as you mentioned.
Fletcher could work, but I think that would mean that Schweinsteiger would need to play a lot more attacking role than he does at the moment.

What I am talking about is if you have Schweinsteiger in his normal role which is a deep lying central midfielder, who would be best for him?

Brwned

Neither Bayern nor Germany played typical regular 4-4-2 systems as we do. Both have an abundance of players that pack the middle. Ozil did it for Germany in the World Cup for example.
I don't think we played a typical 442 - I'd say Ozil stays very high up the pitch, as did Muller, and occupies a similar role to the one we've given Berbatov over the last couple of years. Even if we have done, I can't see Fletcher or Carrick struggling in a similar system to Germany's. Can you?

And besides that, the fact that we have an extra attacker should make it less important for us to have someone creative - like Anderson - rather than more, should it not?

Name Changed

weso26
I don't think we played a typical 442 - I'd say Ozil stays very high up the pitch, as did Muller, and occupies a similar role to the one we've given Berbatov over the last couple of years. Even if we have done, I can't see Fletcher or Carrick struggling in a similar system to Germany's. Can you?

And besides that, the fact that we have an extra attacker should make it less important for us to have someone creative - like Anderson - rather than more, should it not?
I think if we played a 4-4-2 with Schweinsteiger alongside Carrick/Fletcher, I think we would have the same problem that one can say we have now in midfield, albeit with better personnel. A two man combination of Schweinsteiger with Carrick/Fletcher is pretty defensive.

Ozil played further up the pitch, but he was still a midfielder. Berbatov is not going to play in a 4-5-1 system for us. We still play a 4-4-2 when push comes to shove.

Brwned

I think if we played a 4-4-2 with Schweinsteiger alongside Carrick/Fletcher, I think we would have the same problem that one can say we have now in midfield, albeit with better personnel. A two man combination of Schweinsteiger with Carrick/Fletcher is pretty defensive.

Ozil played further up the pitch, but he was still a midfielder. Berbatov is not going to play in a 4-5-1 system for us. We still play a 4-4-2 when push comes to shove.
I dunno, look at it this way...

Here's Berbatov against Blackburn and Everton last year:

Blackburn

Everton

Here's Ozil against Australia and Serbia.

Australia

Serbia

Ozil's number 8, by the way. You can't see his number properly in the Australia game because the substitute Cacau occupied pretty much the same position, which is what I'm talking about really. Ozil played a clear line ahead of midfield, whether you want to call that attacking midfield or second striker is up to you, but they're both almost exactly the same distances away from goal and ahead of their midfield (if anything Berbatov's closer to our midfield and further from goal).

Also worth noting that their midfielders line up in similar positions, and again if anything it's Germany's midfield - and Schweinsteiger v Australia in particular - that is further forward. That's only because Australia got battered, though. Still it shows that they don't occupy different spaces even if the way they interpret the roles are different, I think.

Regardless over how we distinguish between formations we can see that positionally they're not that different, and that the difference between what we perceive to be 433 and 442 doesn't really matter because of how it's applied, in this case.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I'd say Schweinsteiger would do very well in a 4-4-2 against most premiership teams, with Fletcher anchored alongside him Bastian would be immense. It's the 4-3-3 in Europe where he'd probably shine the most though.

Fletcher -- Scholes
---Scweinsteiger--
Nani--------Giggs/Whoever
-----Rooney------

Tasty tasty.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Exactly!

We would be immense if we can bring in two top class midfielders.

In Europe, with our midfield, we will fall short.

I strongly expect Chelski to spend some dough this summer.

Cina

Exactly!

We would be immense if we can bring in two top class midfielders.

In Europe, with our midfield, we will fall short.

I strongly expect Chelski to spend some dough this summer.
I think he was being sarcastic. We do not have shite CMs you gimp.

Devil may care

There are definite similarities in his international pairing with Khedira and a potential Fletcher pairing, but I can't help thinking a pairing with Carrick might be even better suited.

RedRover

i reckon the league position, while relevant, doesn't tell the full story.

Chelsea are on the slide and the others haven't got their act together. Its in the CL the lack of quality will show.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Today's twitter rumor is that he had decided to come to united according to the german press.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I'd love to see him at United, not trying to jinx it but he's such a quality player. Schweinsteiger and Fletcher would be a great mix, both can get about the park, both are tidy footballers, both are very good without the ball, one is exceptional with it. It would be a good ballance.

I don't know what the future holds for Anderson, he showed so much promise at first but he just seems to have gone backwards and further backwards.

Jase

I'd love to see him at United, not trying to jinx it but he's such a quality player. Schweinsteiger and Fletcher would be a great mix, both can get about the park, both are tidy footballers, both are very good without the ball, one is exceptional with it. It would be a good ballance.

I don't know what the future holds for Anderson, he showed so much promise at first but he just seems to have gone backwards and further backwards.
I don't think a Schweinsteiger addition would mean bad news for Anderson. If anything, it could be good news.

Could this transfer actually happen then?

SATA

Question is would Fergie even be interested?

I don't really see what's the fuss over him to be honest. Seems similiar to Michael Carrick with probably abit more balls of steel.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't really see what's the fuss over him to be honest. Seems similiar to Michael Carrick with probably abit more balls of steel.
Even if that's all he was then that would be excellent. Carrick's a great bloody player that just doesn't seem to have the belief and hunger to truly be the best he could be.

But Schweinsteiger also has Fletcher's drive and ability to get around the pitch (actually, he's probably more like Fletcher than Carrick in terms of how he plays), plus throw in some extra pace, power and dribbling ability and you have a very potent combination.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Question is would Fergie even be interested?

I like Carrick, but Schweinsteiger is literally about three times the player. Some of the reasons why:

1. Aforementioned balls of steel
2. Dynamism/Oomph
3. Charisma/Leadership
4. Winner (German)
5. Pace and ability to beat a man
6. More goals
7. Better long-range passing and crossing
8. Much fitter bird
9. Name meaning pig-mounter
10. Mounts pigs

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

The German is exactly the type of player Anderson can learn from and get better alongside.

Status
Not open for further replies.