Bastian Schweinsteiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I don't really see why people give a big deal about him being cup tied. Its only for six months, not like he is going to be for the rest of his career. We are playing in Europe well right now without him.

After all the Premier League is also important and we could rest either Carrick, Fletcher or Scholes for the Premiership and use them for the later stages of the Champions League.
There is no way that a player from a potential CL winning club will move in January. That is just never going to happen, and surely not for 12m

anver

Shart stop
I have lost all confidence in our wanting to buy established players. The policy is to buy raw potential on the cheap.

anver

Shart stop
Established players.. have we bought a lot of them before?
Somebody is stalking me. :lol:

We havent bought an established player since Berbs. Thats two years.

And dont tell me about Valencia. He was good. But he was no screamer. Its after he came to United that he has got cracking.

lysglimt

Scout

And dont tell me about Valencia. He was good. But he was no screamer. Its after he came to United that he has got cracking.
Yeah sure - you mean, it's after he came to United he got the ball whenever he wanted and could make full use of his ability ?

He was just as good at Wigan - he just had a lot worse teammates - there is a difference you know :)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ozil, VDV, Chamakh (unknown but looking top class atm)
Ozil was at a smaller club and his contract was going to run out next year, van der Vaart was no longer wanted by Real Madrid and Chamakh was a free transfer because he had no contract at Bordeaux anymore.

Schweinsteiger, even with his contract due to run out in 2012, would fetch more than £20m in January, and easily around £18m in the Summer.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut

What "established" players have we bought then the last 10-15 years, using your definition of an established player?

anver

Shart stop
What "established" players have we bought then the last 10-15 years, using your definition of an established player?
We may not have bought loads of 'established' players. But we did make bids for many of them. We did not get them because other clubs gave better terms. Just go through the list of players we had bid and not got. You are a frequent poster over here, and you know a lot of history of United. I cant be arsed to go through the archives of the past 10-15 years to get a list of players we have tried to get and failed. Ballack, Essien Robben come to mind.

But right now, you will admit we badly need an experienced midfielder. Going through our record of trying to buy such a midfielder, I doubt we will succeed. IIRC the only player we paid over the odds to buy is Berbs. Will we do the same for the Swine, or Schneider?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We may not have bought loads of 'established' players. But we did make bids for many of them. We did not get them because other clubs gave better terms. Just go through the list of players we had bid and not got. You are a frequent poster over here, and you know a lot of history of United. I cant be arsed to go through the archives of the past 10-15 years to get a list of players we have tried to get and failed. Ballack, Essien Robben come to mind.

But right now, you will admit we badly need an experienced midfielder. Going through our record of trying to buy such a midfielder, I doubt we will succeed. IIRC the only player we paid over the odds to buy is Berbs. Will we do the same for the Swine, or Schneider?
We did not move for Ballack.

Essien and Robben were not exactly 'established' when they went to Chelsea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

:lol:

Oh that's all right then.

Will you stop complaining if we make a few more "bids" this summer?

Oh and, for the record, we made a bid for Benzema last summer. I'm sure you were delighted about that, eh?

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut

I don't know who we have made bids for, nor do you.

And I hope we don't have to pay over the odds for any player.

anver

Shart stop
:lol:

Oh that's all right then.

Will you stop complaining if we make a few more "bids" this summer?

Oh and, for the record, we made a bid for Benzema last summer. I'm sure you were delighted about that, eh?
Of course I was delighted when we bid for Benz. But we did not get him. :(

And we were lucky there.:D

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Manchester United Set to Sign £25m Bayern Munich Star Schweinsteiger

Manchester United look set to snap up Bayern Munich skipper Bastian Schweinsteiger in January, according to Talksport.

The German ace’s contract is due to expire in 18 months time and Bayern are reportedly fearing he has already decided to join United.

With his contract running down, the German champions have apparently offered to make him their highest paid player ever with a contract worth around £140,000 per week.

However, that will not be enough to stop him announcing his intention to move to Old Trafford and take on another challenge – to replace United legend Paul Scholes.

And, if he does want to leave, Bayern will demand at least £25 million for his services in the forthcoming transfer window.

Despite Sir Alex Ferguson insisting no one will be joining Manchester United in January, the club have reportedly tied up a deal for Denmark keeper Anders Lindegaard and are now targeting Schweinsteiger.

And with Scholes coming to the end of his career, having missed a chunk of Manchester United’s season already, Fergie is looking to add some much needed creativity to the Red Devils’ midfield. (Give Me Football – Official PFA Website)

Talk of a move for Bastian Schweinsteiger has been steadily growing of late and this source believes a deal is set to be agreed for the German international and if this is indeed the case it would be a great shot in the arm to Sir Alex Ferguson’s hopes to wrestle dominance from Premier League rivals Chelsea.

The Bayern Munich man has been making noises about wanting to try a new challenge after nine seasons in the Allianz Arena first team and given that Man United had reportedly made assurances to Wayne Rooney that they would look to bring in big name signings, the signs point to just such an acquisition.

Do Manchester United fans feel this move could come to fruition and if so would it help push them towards getting their Premier League crown back?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manchester United Set to Sign £25m Bayern Munich Star Schweinsteiger | CaughtOffside

lots of refrences to this happening...hope so :)

Devil may care

Is it not the same NOTW and Talksport that a 15m deal was agreed for De Gea as well?
The thing with the De Gea situation is he doesn't want to leave Spain yet, I'm not saying that we will get Schweinsteiger but he seems more keen for a move.

Donut

Hopefully he's the player that was promised to Rooney. But he'll probably stay at Bayern.

wr8_utd

:'(
He might not come to United but I can't see him staying at Munich any longer. Would be a dream signing if it does happen.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I reckon if Schweinsteiger came to United he'd make VDV look like Djemba-Djemba.
I imagine he'd play a deep playmaker role here whilst VDV is basically upfront for Spurs. This of course means VDV will score and assist more, therefore he is undoubtedly the far better signing!

Drifter

American
Hate to put a dampener on things.

Bayern Munich have ruled out a January sale for Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says Schweinsteiger will not be going anywhere before his contract expires in 2012.

Schweinsteiger has been linked with a big-money move to Manchester United in the British press in recent days and has previously been connected to Chelsea.

But speaking at Bayern's AGM, Rummenigge said: "We will not be letting the player go before his contract ends in 2012 in any case.

"Bastian has developed a great deal in the last two years and I am very optimistic that we and his agents can find an agreement.

"Our aim is to give Bastian a long-term contract."

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
What they say in public and what actually happens can be very different, as is the case with any club/player/transfer.

Sure it was originally said Ozil was going to see out the remainder of his contract (said by him and the club)

For what has been said, it could easily be said to ensure they get a decent price for him in Jan/Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.