Beating Madrid

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I agree. I'd hate to go back to Old Trafford with a 0-0. One away goal for them, and the pressure is piled on for us.
Erm, and if they win 5-4 at Bernabeu conceding a goal at OT will have a different effect?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
People fundementally misunderstand how away goals work, and always have done. I fear they always will do, too. Every year on this forum you get the usual "I'd rather lose 2-1 than draw 0-0" shite.
I think (hope) they mean psychologically! There's no doubt with a 0-0 everyone feels like we're desperately defending something in the home leg. With a 2-1 there's more of a, "all we have to do is win at home," mood. It's not rational but not much about being a football fan is.

Sarni

They'd have to score 4 or 5 to draw or win the tie? How likely is that to happen in both legs?
Why? If they scored and were 1-0 up after a 5-4 win at home, we'd have to score 2 to go through. With 0-0 in first leg we'd also have to score 2 to go through if they went 1-0 up. Why would they need to score 4 or 5 at OT, I don't get it?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Why? If they scored and were 1-0 up after a 5-4 win at home, we'd have to score 2 to go through. With 0-0 in first leg we'd also have to score 2 to go through if they went 1-0 up. Why would they need to score 4 or 5 at OT, I don't get it?
So basically everyone is coming up with a hypothetical situation to prove their score is the way forward?

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Real have more to fear in my opinion, in the first leg that is. They will be desperate to keep a clean sheet, with Rooney in red hot form and RvP in our side, they will have to be defensively focused throughout.
Will we be able to get the ball to our front players, though? I can see them pressuring very high and our midfield/defence just hoofing it long every time they do.

Sarni

So basically everyone is coming up with a hypothetical situation to prove their score is the way forward?
But there's no need to come up with any situations here. A draw is always better than a loss, there's nothing to argue here. The difference between 5-4 and 0-0 is that with former we go out if we draw 0-0 at home and in case of the latter it'd send the game into the extra-time. And any 1-goal win above 5-4 sends us out if we lose 5-4 at Bernabeu while in case of 0-0 any win at OT and we're through.

A 5-4 has no advantage whatsoever over 0-0 draw. There's no result that would send us through at OT if we lost 5-4 there and wouldn't if we drew 0-0. Not even a single one.

Keltoi

Erm, if anyone doesn't get it it's you.

Why do people have difficulties with understanding away goals rule? It only says that in case of a draw in the tie, the team with more away goals goes through. They never count double and a 5-4 loss is always worse than any draw.
By golly you're right! And here was me thinking that we'd be 8-5 up if we lost 5-4. I'd always thought an away goal equaled two goals despite watching the champions league for over a decade, can you help me with how offside works next?

Away goals are key, if we were to draw 0-0 and madrid nicked an early goal at OT we'd be under serious pressure.

Amir

I might look awfully silly on Wednesday, but I'll stick my neck out and say the Bernabeu game will not finish 5-4.

Sarni

By golly you're right! And here was me thinking that we'd be 8-5 up if we lost 5-4. I'd always thought an away goal equaled two goals despite watching the champions league for over a decade, can you help me with how offside works next?

Away goals are key, if we were to draw 0-0 and madrid nicked an early goal at OT we'd be under serious pressure.
And if we lost 5-4 we wouldn't? Care to explain how our position would be more comfortable with 1-0 deficit at OT if we lost 5-4 in Madrid rather than drew 0-0?

Zen

Rooneys scored against all the other elites .... so, kind of fully expect him to score. Pretty sure he's scored in all their stadiums too except Nou Camp(neutral venue in the CL final isn't too shabby though.)

Didn't he score at Stamford Bridge and Emirates too in the CL? Yeah, you can get 3 to 1 odds on him anytime on Wednesday, might put on a tenner on that.

Sarni

What nonsense. We'd have to score twice even if the first leg finished 5-4.
Indeed. He sounds like we'd be cruising if we went down at OT if only we managed to lose at Bernabeu.

How people manage to come up with bollocks that it's better to lose than draw is fecking ridiculous.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No we wouldn't.
If the first leg finishes 5-4 and Madrid score first we'd have to score twice to progress. If the first leg finishes 0-0 and Madrid score first we'd still have to score twice to progress.

What part of that do you not understand?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
And let's not discount the boost in confidence if we do manage to get a result in Madrid. How anyone would rather see us lose than draw is beyond me...

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Okay this is getting ridiculous (mainly because I'm on iphone and I keep missing quotes)

If it finished 5-4, some fans clearly feel it'll spur us on as away goals have in the past.

If it finished 0-0 some of you feel it's positive and will have no bearing on anything.

Agree to disagree because as I said earlier, all we're doing is creating our own hypothetical situation. 5-4 is as likely as us winning 7-0 today. Won't happen.

I'll catch you guys later now, time to head to OT.

Amir

A draw, even 0-0, means any win at Old Trafford puts us through. Even though we've had some heartache in the past, I can't see how that's a bad thing. It's a great position. Risky? Yeah, but so is being a goal down...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Ramos talking to Sid Lowe about Spain, Pique, Real Madrid and United.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/10/sergio-ramos-manchester-united

The main United segment:

On Wednesday night, that means a battle with Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie. "Van Persie is on very, very good form," Ramos says. "We hadn't seen him this good for years. He's quick, strikes the ball well, he's a constant nuisance.

"Rooney's different. He's hard-work, heavy going. He enjoys the physical challenge. I prefer that, to be honest. I like that defender versus striker battle, that challenge. But Rooney's mobility is difficult: you don't always know how far to step out to pressure him. He drops deeper, or pulls wide and you wonder whether to follow. The communication with the midfield is vital. If he drops, there's a point at which the centre-back can't follow him and the responsibility passes to the midfielders. Go too far and you leave space behind.

"But it's not just them, it's the whole team. You've got Chicharito who comes on for half an hour and scores two or three every time. And it's no coincidence.

"I was pleased to get United. They are in the Premier League what Madrid are in Spain perhaps: the values, the history. What they have always represented, the philosophy they transmit, the ideals they inculcated their players with, are similar.

"Few games have the repercussion of this match. And I'd rather play them than a team that's not as big but comes along and surprises you. Besides, I like English football."

Keltoi

HellHunter in the newbies sent me this pm:

Hey there,
I'm just a newb, so can't contribute to the discussion, but I find it to be rather intereseting. I believe the major difference is a psychological one.
In the 0-0 scenario, if you concede 0-1 in the 2nd leg, you already know that goals are extremly hard to come by, while in the 5-4 scenario you already know you were capable of putting four past them on their home ground.
Apart from that, I think the differences between the two results are marginal, as they basically mean win in the second leg or you're out.

Keltoi

And if we lost 5-4 we wouldn't? Care to explain how our position would be more comfortable with 1-0 deficit at OT if we lost 5-4 in Madrid rather than drew 0-0?
With away goals it offers security in the evident of a draw, anyone who discounts them is an idiot and clearly hasnt watched the champions league.

Bizarre.

Ainu

Every fecking year. Ignoring psychological effects (that's all speculation), any sort of draw away from home is better than a loss. A 5-4 loss doesn't offer even the slightest advantage over a 0-0 draw. Any score draw at home would see you out in either scenario, but with a 0-0 away at least a 0-0 at home gives you Extra Time, while you'd go out after a 5-4 away loss in that scenario. With a 0-0 away from home, any home win sees you through to the next round. The same is almost true for a 5-4 loss, except that a 5-4 home win goes through ET in stead of a straight win. 6-5, 7-6, etc. wins means you're out. It's all very theoretical obviously, but there's just no configuration where a 5-4 away loss gives you better options in the return leg. Those are the facts.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is stupid. In case of a 0-0 draw any sort of win at Old Trafford puts us through which is not the case is case of a 5-4 defeat. There is no psychological advantage whatsoever is losing away over getting a draw.

Sarni

With away goals it offers security in the evident of a draw, anyone who discounts them is an idiot and clearly hasnt watched the champions league.

Bizarre.
You go out if you draw after losing away every single time you tool, it offers no security.

Ainu

Draw on aggregate you fecking tool. :rolleyes:
Even you should be able to see that drawing on aggregate requires less goals in the return leg if you draw the first leg 0-0 instead of losing 5-4. Of course in the event of a 5-5 aggregate draw it's better to lose 5-4 and win 1-0 than draw 0-0 and 5-5, but that's not the point being discussed here.

Keltoi

Even you should be able to see that drawing on aggregate requires less goals in the return leg if you draw the first leg 0-0 instead of losing 5-4. Of course in the event of a 5-5 aggregate draw it's better to lose 5-4 and win 1-0 than draw 0-0 and 5-5, but that's not the point being discussed here.
Point is Sarni is such a patronising poster, thinks he knows it all. First hes thinks that I presume that away goals count for 2 and then that I think that if you're losing on aggregate that you're actually winning. The guy thinks he knows it all.