Berbatov | Fulham player

Feed Me

I'm hungry
To be honest, Fergie extending the contract does nothing more then protect the club from losing him on a free in the summer.
Well, it keeps him here for another season and a half. So it does a fair bit.

It seems SAF sees the value in having a classy, team player in the squad.

Good news.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not offering an extension= He's off, Fergie isn't convinced with him.

Offering an extension= Nothing has been signed, depends on Berbatov's agent(even though it doesn't and has been stated millions of times) and just been kept to increase the value.

Poor simpletons can't even comprehend the possibility of Fergie keeping an experienced and proven class player in the squad.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi

Offering an extension= Nothing has been signed, depends on Berbatov's agent(even though it doesn't and has been stated millions of times) and just been kept to increase the value.

Poor simpletons can't even comprehend the possibility of Fergie keeping an experienced and proven class player in the squad.
It's pathetic really.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Would you say it 100% rules out the possibility of him leaving in the summer?

Not sure anyone thought we would allow him to leave for free.

It is hardly people being simpletons now is it?

Amir

It's not about the 'offering' part. It's the fact we're supposed to have a clause and just have to exercise it. Should be simple enough. Why do we keep talking about it rather than just do it?

Amir

Of course it does. Do you think he's having us on?
My point is that what has been said today is no different to what has been said two weeks ago. We have a clause and we'll exercise it. Why do people suddenly think today it's done when they didn't two weeks ago?

Fergie was asked a question about Berba, again, and he gave the 'right' answer. again. Whether the right answer is also the truthful answer remains to be seen.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Sir Alex confirmed that the champions will be exercising the option to extend the former Spurs striker's deal until the end of the 2012/2013 season with the paperwork due to be finalised in the first few months of next year.
It's very simple, even for thickies.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
His first half of the season has involved putting in good performances when called upon.
In a nutshell, exactly that. What do you want him to do Randall? Jump up from the bench, slap Fergie in the face with the back of his hand, float onto the pitch despite us having 12 men and start playing?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Amir, if they do not give him a contract he can sign for a foreign club on a free transfer on Jan 1st.

It would make no sense at all for the club to allow that when they can give him the contract and sell him in the summer if they wish to or keep him if he is required

Hectic

Supports
30fps
My point is that what has been said today is no different to what has been said two weeks ago. We have a clause and we'll exercise it. Why do people suddenly think today it's done when they didn't two weeks ago?

Fergie was asked a question about Berba, again, and he gave the 'right' answer. again. Whether the right answer is also the truthful answer remains to be seen.
Well, two weeks ago Fergie didn't say we would be excercising it did he?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, clearly he is going to stay on.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't get this paperwork handed in shimozzle. Surely there are regulations surrounding extended contracts. It would have to be implemented by 12 am Jan first surely. Otherwise Berbatov should be able to arrange contracts for a free in the summer.

His current contract as it stands has 6 months left on it. A further 12 months on top if the club so wishes to extend it, but it doesn't strike me as exactly legal that a club could possibly have activated the deal in early months of next year. Even if they were yet to inform the player of their decision.

'In this case they have, but there was nothing stopping them from doing that.

Amir

Amir, if they do not give him a contract he can sign for a foreign club on a free transfer on Jan 1st.

It would make no sense at all for the club to allow that when they can give him the contract and sell him in the summer if they wish to or keep him if he is required
Well, January 1st is two days from now, and this is what Fergie actually said: "We'll be exercising (the option to renew]," stated the manager. "I think it kicks in in March."

So what happens till March? Because he can sign a pre contrac with another club, but then we'll exercise our clause in March it will be cancelled? I don't get it.

You want to do it, do it, stop talking about it. This is what I don't get. And today changes nothing because we're still talking about it rather than doing it.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Correct, I was wrong. He didn't say it two weeks ago. He said it on November 18: "He is an outstanding footballer and we will give the extra year".
And you don't see a difference between the statements?

Amir

Presumably the clause in his contract states that we have to inform him of the decision before Jan 1st.
So we'll be taking him aside after tomorrow's match? Come on, it should be pretty simple, we know how this crap goes. United tell Berbatov, then there's a press release saying his contract was extended (not WILL be, WAS), done deal.

Lance Uppercut

So we'll be taking him aside after tomorrow's match? Come on, it should be pretty simple, we know how this crap goes. United tell Berbatov, then there's a press release saying his contract was extended (not WILL be, WAS), done deal.
Except we don't. None of us have a clue about the details of the contract.

I believe SAF is telling the truth. Why wouldn't he?

Amir

Except we don't. None of us have a clue about the details of the contract.

I believe SAF is telling the truth. Why wouldn't he?
The details we don't know. But if we had extended it, we would have said so.

As for Fergie, if you were a manager, and a player was close to the end of his contract and you were asked about him in mid season, what would you say? We're not sure about him, or, we're letting him go in May?

So while Fergie may just be telling it as it is, he doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver right now. He can only say he wants to keep him, really. That's why I'd like to see it happening before I believe it.

Lance Uppercut

The details we don't know. But if we had extended it, we would have said so.

As for Fergie, if you were a manager, and a player was close to the end of his contract and you were asked about him in mid season, what would you say? We're not sure about him, or, we're letting him go in May?

So while Fergie may just be telling it as it is, he doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver right now. He can only say he wants to keep him, really. That's why I'd like to see it happening before I believe it.
That's just it, though, Fergie mentioned March. For all we know, it can't officially been done until then. We just don't know. It might already be in place. But, as you pointed out, Fergie has now stated twice that the option will be exercised. I would be amazed if it didn't happen.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
United have prolonged his contract either because SAF want's him to stay or he wouldn't walk away for free - take your pick. I personally don't think SAF considers him a longer term option otherwise he would have added a couple of extra years to his present contract.

Sultan

But that's my point. Have we? We just keep saying we would.
Sorry Amir, that should have been taken up the option. It would have been all over the press had Berbatov extended his contract beyond the clubs option.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
But that's my point. Have we? We just keep saying we would.
No we haven't - yet. Which has been said several times over the last couple of pages. Fergie does stretch the truth with regards to some things, but in this case there is no reason for the club not to extend the contract, either because we want to keep hold of him for another season, or so that we can get some more money for him in the summer.

All it means is that he should still be at the club until the summer, but whether he'll be at the club beyond that point is up to both the club and the player, but as his agent has apparently been trying to get other clubs interested in signing him and the fringe role Berbatov currently has at the club, I agree with what Sultan has said and don't think Fergie sees him as a long term option for us.

Varun

Staff
Is never going to be a long term option for us with welbeck settling in beautifully. New contract or not, i think we'd sell him in the summer.

Sultan

To a 30 plus player?
United usually offer one year rolling contracts to players or coaches who have been loyal to the club in there latter years (Giggs, Scholes, Edwin, SAF, etc). Berbatov still has a sell on value, and has no great affinity with the club. I don't think United will let his contract run down where he would be in a position to walk away for free unless Berbatov is determined to run down is contract.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
United have prolonged his contract either because SAF want's him to stay or he wouldn't walk away for free - take your pick. I personally don't think SAF considers him a longer term option otherwise he would have added a couple of extra years to his present contract.
Sorry Sultan, but what do you mean he "wouldn't walk away for free"?

Are you saying Fergie doesn't want him to leave on a free?

I agree with you though about his long term future. A contract should/would have been sorted out in the last year. For Berbatov's personal sake, he was probably hoping it was done early this year when he was in great form. I guess Fergie wanted to see how Welbeck would settle in before making a decision. Regardless of what Fergie says in the press about the 4 strikers from 99, he knows they were different circumstances. The equivalent now would be having Owen in as Sheringham. There is having 4 strikers, and then there are having 3 big name strikers. It doesn't really fit. Bayern ave probably been the only other club over the past decade or so to have 3-4 big name forwards going at once and it hasn't actually panned out all that well for them.

Amir

My point has been that resigning Berba just in order to sell in the summer isn't as simple as it sounds. As we've seen with PIG and Gibson last summer, you might not be able to sell the player at all and end up with him eating at your wage bill, doing very little for the team.

If we've made up our minds we do NOT want to keep Berbatov after this season, it might be better to let him go on a free. Else, we could give him a year's extention, but fail to find a buyer who can agree terms with him, or maybe he'll just refuse to to. City can pay Bridge 90k a week without it being any problem, we can't. Those 100k Berba picks up is money we won't be able to use for any new signings, for instance.

Shimo

Why would they offer him a new long term contract when they had an option to extend him on his current contract?

Based on how we extend players over the age of 30 once they get close to their final year (which would be this coming few months) - the thing that makes sense is to first extend him under his current contract i.e. no new negotiations and just trigger the extension. Then if they want him here for another 2 years beyond that - negotiate and see if they can come up with an agreement.

Amir

Sorry Amir, that should have been taken up the option.
Thing is, we haven't. We just said we're going to (again). I don't know what needs to be done to actually take up the option, but I guess that had it been done by now, we'd get an official statement about it as we do about any changes in contracts.