Berbatov or Henry?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There is a reason why Totti won this year's European golden boot, probably the same reason why he scored 26 goals and had 9 assists in 35 games for Roma in Serie A alone.
Good for him. Berbatov scored 23 goals and had 15 assists during the same season for Spurs.

Totti: 151 league goals in 370 club appearances = 0.408 goals per appearance on average.

Internationals: 9 goals in 59 appearances: = 0.153 goals per appearance on average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totti

Berbatov: 139 league goals in 292 club appearances = 0.476 goals per appearance on average. 17% better average than Totti

Internationals: 37 goals in 57 appearances: = 0.649 goals per appearance on average. 324% !!! better than Totti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berbatov

You say Totti is better than Berbatov. Go figure.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Glastonspur you truly are a moron.

all of Totti's club goals have come in Serie A whereas you are including Berbatov's goals from his time in Bulgaria and Germany, two countries whose domestic leagues are clearly inferior to Italy's. Also Totti has played a a midfielder for Italy most of the time and on many occasions for Roma as well.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
.. all of Totti's club goals have come in Serie A whereas you are including Berbatov's goals from his time in Bulgaria and Germany, two countries whose domestic leagues are clearly inferior to Italy's. ...
True, but at Roma he is playing at a stronger club than most of those that Berbatov has played for, surrounded by generally better players. It's all relative and these factors things tend to balance themselves out.

I've also including his league goals for Spurs in the Prem, which if anything is stronger than Serie A.

And what about Berbatov's 324% better record in internationals? What's your excuse on this one?

... Also Totti has played a a midfielder for Italy most of the time and on many occasions for Roma as well.
Ah, here comes your excuse to explain such a vast difference on international goals.

Well excuse me, but I'm being told that Totti is a better striker than Berbatov. Your excuse amounts to: ".... er, sorry, he isn't really so much of a striker as Berbatov, more of a midfielder". Well, in that case, why are you and others trying to also tell me he's a better striker?? You can't have it both ways.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
True, but at Roma he is playing at a stronger club than most of those that Berbatov has played for, surrounded by generally better players. It's all relative and these factors things tend to balance themselves out.

By your reasoning Darren Bent will probably double his goal tally this season because he has moved from a relegation contender to a team with CL aspirations.

I've also including his league goals for Spurs in the Prem, which if anything is stronger than Serie A.

And what about Berbatov's 324% better record in internationals? What's your excuse on this one?

Ah, here comes your excuse to explain such a vast difference on international goals.

Well excuse me, but I'm being told that Totti is a better striker than Berbatov. Your excuse amounts to: ".... er, sorry, he isn't really so much of a striker as Berbatov, more of a midfielder". Well, in that case, why are you and others trying to also tell me he's a better striker?? You can't have it both ways.
Totti has always been shit for Italy. Nobody has been able to pick out why. Similar to Lampard for england or Henry for france.

Totti is a better player than Berbatov. The fact that he can play in midfield or as a striker makes him that much better.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Villa, Eto'o and Totti have all proved themselves at some of the biggest clubs and the biggest competitions such as the Champions League, World Cup, Euros etc. ...
True. I've never said different. But see my 'big-club big-stage' post #360 made earlier.

... Playing in the prem doesn't mean that he is better than the players who haven't played in the prem
True again, but a pity for you that I never said it did.

I haven't even said that Berbatov is better than Totti, Eto'o etc ... I suggest you go back and read what I actually have said.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You say: "By your reasoning Darren Bent will probably double his goal tally this season because he has moved from a relegation contender to a team with CL aspirations."

Obviously it depends on how many games he gets. At Charlton he was always on the team sheet and often played as lone striker. At Spurs he's got competition for starts.

If he starts as many games as at Charlton he'll almost certainly increase his goal tally. Want to bet he won't?

Totti has always been shit for Italy. Nobody has been able to pick out why.
Oh, OK, but this 'shit for Italy' player is still somehow so superior to Berby - right?

... The fact that he can play in midfield or as a striker makes him that much better.
I might have guessed ... your ground has now shifted.

First I'm told he's a better striker. Then when the goal stats tend to show that he isn't, he now becomes a better player because he also can also play in midfield.

This whole thing about Totti, Eto'o etc was started by other posters on the basis of which strikers are better than Berby. Totti clearly isnt one of them.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is the best post in the whole thread. :lol:
Good lord!
Top 7 in the world?! No-one is denying that Berbatov is a very good player but you are clearly just taking the piss now.
Seriously, i can't believe i'm bothering...but off the top of my head - 10 better strikers.

Rooney
Ruud
Henry
Villa
Eto'o
Drogba
Totti
Suazo
Ibrahimovic
Crespo
Suazo and crepso:lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You say: "By your reasoning Darren Bent will probably double his goal tally this season because he has moved from a relegation contender to a team with CL aspirations."

Obviously it depends on how many games he gets. At Charlton he was always on the team sheet and often played as lone striker. At Spurs he's got competition for starts.

If he starts as many games as at Charlton he'll almost certainly increase his goal tally. Want to bet he won't?

Oh, OK, but this 'shit for Italy' player is still somehow so superior to Berby - right?

I might have guessed ... your ground has now shifted.

First I'm told he's a better striker. Then when the goal stats tend to show that he isn't, he now becomes a better player because he also can also play in midfield.

This whole thing about Totti, Eto'o etc was started by other posters on the basis of which strikers are better than Berby. Totti clearly isnt one of them.

:lol: I give up. Berbatov is clearly the greatest striker in world football today.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
GS I fear that you will never recover from this thread ... I've not seen a poster make a bigger arse of himself on this forum in my time here, and this includes DJS, KFC, the Chief, etc...

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I give up. Berbatov is clearly the greatest striker in world football today.
Exaggeration, shifting your ground and distortion has played a quite large part in your arguments so far, so maybe you should just give up.

afrocentricity

Exaggeration, shifting your ground and distortion has played a quite large part in your arguments so far, so maybe you should just give up.
A person could accuse you of the same could they not?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
GS I fear that you will never recover from this thread ... I've not seen a poster make a bigger arse of himself on this forum in my time here, and this includes DJS, KFC, the Chief, etc...
Au contraire.

Despite all comers I've made a good case - and defended it well - for saying that:

a) Most sensible managers would choose Berbatov over Henry if they were signing a new striker now, given Henry's age, injuries, attitude etc. Quite a few posters have agreed with me. Even SAF has said that Arsenal are better off without Henry.

b) Totti, Crespo etc. are not better strikers than Berbatov. I haven't said he's the best in the world, and I've said there's a handful that are better right now, but he's at least on a par with many of those named so far and better than some. Again, quite a few posters have agreed with me.

You don't agree. C'est la vie.

afrocentricity

Au contraire.

Despite all comers I've made a good case - and defended it well - for saying that:

a) Most sensible managers would choose Berbatov over Henry if they were signing a new striker now, given Henry's age, injuries, attitude etc. Quite a few posters have agreed with me.

b) Totti, Crespo etc. are not better strikers than Berbatov. I haven't said he's the best in the world, and I've said there's a handful that are better right now, but he's at least on a par with many of those named so far and better than some. Again, quite a few posters have agreed with me.

Define 'quite a few' ... and where's this poll then? would have saved the last few pages (of ridicule) ...

Au contraire.

a) Most sensible managers would choose Berbatov over Henry if they were signing a new striker now, given Henry's age, injuries, attitude etc. Quite a few posters have agreed with me. Even SAF has said that Arsenal are better off without Henry.

Indeed

I have read the thread afrocentricity, and in true cafe style people have chosen to ridicule GS. Rather than pay any attention to what he has stated. Which is mostly concrete logic. Just because he would prefer having Berbatov than their Henry in his team. Standard caftard behaviour. Unique trains of thought and logic are a severe crime. Punishable by severe abuse and ridicule if they can't be disproven with arguments.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Read the thread Chief b4 agreeing with him ... the list included RVN, Eto'o and Rooney, funny he omitted that in his last post.
Reading the thread properly is what you'd be well advised to do.

I've already agreed, for example, that RVN must still be considered to the better striker, I haven't said that Berby is better than Eto'o and I've said that Rooney is pretty much on a par with Berbatov.

But I don't expect you're much interested in this. Distortion and attempts to mislead seem to attract you more ... a pity you don't focus more on presenting solid arguments of your own.

You've wondered whose reputation has been damaged in this thread? Try looking in the mirror.

afrocentricity

I give up ... I really do have better things to do. Berbatov or Henry? Henry for me ... cya.

afrocentricity

Reading the thread properly is what you'd be well advised to do.

I've already agreed, for example, that RVN must still be considered to the better striker, I haven't said that Berby is better than Eto'o and I've said that Rooney is pretty much on a par with Berbatov.

But I don't expect you're much interested in this. Distortion and attempts to mislead seem to attract you more ... a pity you don't focus more on presenting solid arguments of your own.

You've wondered whose reputation has been damaged in this thread? Try looking in the mirror.
To summarise:

You ignored my earlier questions, and the questions of others ....
You decided against putting up a poll to vindicate yourself ...
You did say that you thought Berba was better than certain world class players ...
You feel that because a hand full of people have agreed with you that you must be right (bear in mind the majority disagree with you) ...

I hope this helps ...

dan_alex

Most of your argument here boils down to the fact that Eto'o, Rooney etc all play for - and have performed well for - big CL clubs, whereas Berbatov doesn't.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't prove them to be better strikers. It's pretty clear than United, for example, wanted to sign Berbatov early this summer, and we know for fact that SAF tried to sign him last summer. Spurs wouldn't sell this summer and SAF was too late last summer, so now he's turned his attentions to Tevez - fair enough.

What this shows is that Berby is easily good enough to play for a big CL club - that fact that he isn't yet doing so is mere circumstance, so the fact that Totti etc do have more chances so far to play at the highest stages proves nothing. In any case, Berbatov has already played in the Champions League, including 5 goals during 2004-05, as well scoring several CL goals in an earlier season against the likes of Lyon and Liverpool and appearing in the CL final against Real Madrid.

It's also the case that playing for a big CL club means you are surrounded by generally better players, which makes it a lot easier to play well and shine yourself. So again, this should be taken into account when comparing Berbatov with Totti etc.

On the international level, I'm quite sure Berbatov's record is better than most, if not all of the players you mention: 37 goals in 57 appearances. All this despite playing for a weak team (Bulgaria). Totti gets to play for Italy - how many international goals has he scored?
Your whole argument revolves around how many goals and asissts Berbatov has. Stats prove nothing. Chopra scored 22 goals in the Championship last season. If he did that at a top club every season he may be regarded as a top player. But he did it at a lower level, and until he does that at a top club at a top level he will not be a top player. The same is true for Berbatov, just to a lesser extent. Until he performs on a big stage (champions league) at a big club he will not be regarded as a class player. And if you want to use Berbatov's goal scoring record as a guide to how good he is as a player then Didier Drogba Benni McCarthy, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Mark Viduka, Kevin Doyle, Darren Bent all scored more in the Premiership than Berbatov, so are all better players. By your logic. Stats prove nothing.

I don't regard Berbatov as a joke and I don't regard seeing him on a par with the likes of Totti as a joke. In my view you have a greatly exagerrated view of such other players and are caught up in the 'big club, big stage' syndrome with little else to back it up.
I don't regard Berbatov as a joke. I regard your amazing overestimation of him as a player to be a joke. Arguing against you is pointless because of this fact, you simply cannot see how ridiculous your overestimation of Berbatov is, and you are hiding behind your statistics of goals scored and assissts.

I'm glad we can agree on at least something.
Yes I agree asking if a player who has not been fit for a year, is past the peak age for a striker, and is a sulker but is a much much better football player(Henry), is as good/better than/worse than a player who is bang in form but a worse football player(Berbatov) is a legitimate question. The answer to your poll has been in favour of Henry.

Very good set of strikers, even though United have not actually signed Tevez yet.

But even if you do sign Tevez, I don't think it's as good as set of strikers as Berbatov, Keane, Bent and Defoe, taken as whole. OK, that's a matter of debate and opinion, but plenty of people will agree with me on this.
If Fergie says he thinks he has Tevez that's good enough for me. Your blind overestimation of your own players means I am not going to argue with you. You can have your strikers, we'll have ours. I look forward to finishing at least 20 points above your team this season, scoring many more goals than your team in the process.

afrocentricity

I have read the thread afrocentricity, and in true cafe style people have chosen to ridicule GS. Rather than pay any attention to what he has stated. Which is mostly concrete logic. (Oh Rly?) Just because he would prefer having Berbatov than their Henry in his team. Standard caftard behaviour. Unique trains of thought and logic are a severe crime. (OTT) Punishable by severe abuse :lol: and ridicule if they can't be disproven with arguments.
:lol: how OTT is that post?

the thread in question is asking for opinions, GS's being that he would prefer Berba instead of Henry, that's pretty much a given coming from a Spurs fan ...
there are pages and pages of opinions to the contrary ... if you have actually read this thread and that's the conclusion you have come to then the mind boggles ...anyway don't let me stop you 2 ...

afrocentricity

Oh and FYI Berba is a classy player, that's why I like him ... he isn't as great as some of you make out though (if so he would have been snapped up by a tp club in a second ages ago)

:lol: how OTT is that post?

the thread in question is asking for opinions, GS's being that he would prefer Berba instead of Henry, that's pretty much a given coming from a Spurs fan ...
there are pages and pages of opinions to the contrary ... if you have actually read this thread and that's the conclusion you have come to then the mind boggles ...anyway don't let me stop you 2 ...
Quit being a polemic hypocrite. If this thread was only about "opinion" as you claim you would have stop at this:

Berbatov or Henry? Henry for me
Which would have been the appropriate opinion to the question of the thread. But you didn't stop there did you? Neither did most of your cronies :smirk:

afrocentricity

Quit being a polemic hypocrite. If this thread was only about "opinion" as you claim you would have stop at this:

Which would have been the appropriate opinion to the question of the thread. But you didn't stop there did you? Neither did most of your cronies :smirk:
Your a strange fellow ... I can only assume that you find similarities in this thread and some of your past threads, hence jumping to the defence of someone who is clearly singing from a different hymn book ...

I've seen you personally abuse posters on a scale not even touched upon in this thread (so please get off your high horse)... if you can't take getting slightly ridiculed for saying something silly then you should keep mum. Good bye chief :rolleyes:

I give up ...

The answer to your poll has been in favour of Henry.
Pretty much my point ...

Your a strange fellow ... I can only assume that you find similarities in this thread and some of your past threads, hence jumping to the defence of someone who is clearly singing from a different hymn book ...
There's nothing strange about that at all. It's dead obvious

I've seen you personally abuse posters on a scale not even touched upon in this thread
After ages of taking mindless abuse from several red cafe posters. Just because I had a different point of view to the majority on here. Just like GS has got in this trhea.d It usually starts softly but with time it always gets much worse. Just ask Devlish. He has experienced it too. Unlike me he didn't chose to fight fire with fire.

(so please get off your high horse)...
You first. You are claiming this thread has been merely about opinion when it has been anything but and you know it.

if you can't take getting slightly ridiculed for saying something silly then you should keep mum.
Mate, there is a big difference between ridicule and mindless abuse. Most people on this cafe know not the difference. They abuse you and claim they were just ridiculing you.

Good bye chief :rolleyes:
^^^See what I mean? That is abuse not ridicule. I haven't been rude to you neither am I talking trash. But that is how you chose to respond. This is typical of the majority of cafe behavior

Care to elaborate Chief ?
Mate Suazo is no where near Berbatov's league. He lacks the Bulgarian's vision or elegance on the ball. (I'm not saying David lacks skills though:nono:)And the Bulgarian is proven at both international and Champions league level. Lastly, Milan and Inter can afford him because he is not as good as Berbatov. The wouldn't dare make a bid for the Bulgarian until next summer at the earliest. Neither would Manchester United or Chelsea for that matter

Well we did sign him from the Champions.
From a team that were not in our league, and with a bad boy reputation that had made him persona non grata to most big sides for years...the fact Berbatov hasn't yet signed for a giant means little..he is good enough to play for one..but the giants can't be the only ones with quality players on their books...

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Mate Suazo is no where near Berbatov's league. He lacks the Bulgarian's vision or elegance on the ball. (I'm not saying David lacks skills though:nono:)And the Bulgarian is proven at both international and Champions league level. Lastly, Milan and Inter can afford him because he is not as good as Berbatov. The wouldn't dare make a bid for the Bulgarian until next summer at the earliest. Neither would Manchester United or Chelsea for that matter
If Berbatov was good as you and Glaston make him out to be, he would have been snapped up by someone else bigger way before Spurs made their move.The point in question is whether Suazo is a better striker not the more elegant on the pitch, something of which he clearly is.Suazo also possesses certain attributes that leave the Bulgarian in his wake such as pace,killer instict and agility. The fact that Suazo shared the overseas player of the year award with Kaka tells you a lot especially when you take into account the club he used to play for and the other class foreigners in Serie A. The fact that SAF is pushing for Tevez means that we will be sorted for years to come and Berbatov might not even get a look.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
From a team that were not in our league, and with a bad boy reputation that had made him persona non grata to most big sides for years...the fact Berbatov hasn't yet signed for a giant means little..he is good enough to play for one..but the giants can't be the only ones with quality players on their books...
We signed him from Leeds who were the reigning the champions at the time and a top 3 club in England

We signed him from Leeds who were the reigning the champions at the time and a top 3 club in England
Cantona made them a top 3 side and champions. They were nothing without him. That is why when we got him we became champions and they did little. and as I said earlier, Fergie was the only big name manager willing to try out for Cantona. the lack of others wanting him didn't mean he lacked the quality. In any shae or form