Best player of Fergie's era

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I assume by 'best' you mean 'soccerbest', so the player most like soccerbest...

Luke Chadwick?

sincher

But younger and with more acne, surely?

Michael Twiss.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Depends what you mean by 'best'

Most brilliant - Ronaldo, easily

Most influential and effective - Keane

Total service to the club - Giggs
I'd put Cantona just ahead of Keane as 'Most Influential' and possibly even argue his case for 'Most Brilliant'

Waltraute

She-Devil
I'm going to answer this straight from the heart after reading the OP & before reading the entire thread --

Among players who've played under Sir Alex - Bryan Robson

Among players who've been brought up through the ranks/bought by Sir Alex - I honestly can't choose between Cantona & Scholes. Giggs is a very, very close runner up.
Honourable mention to Schmeichel.

Lil Cee

I think those are important factors when you decide on the "best".

That's why, for example, Keane's performance against Juventus in '99 will always put him ahead of Ronaldo in this sort of discussion. I don't think Ronaldo has ever influenced the course of such an important game as comprehensively as Keane did that night.

im not lobbying for Ronaldo but to put Keane's performance in context with a game of equal importance for Ronaldo, what about last years CL semi-final away to Arsenal. Ronaldo's impossible free kick was very influential in that match and basically sealed the match after 7 minutes. it knocked the wind out of Arsenal's sails. and as far as being the most useful player. Ronaldo is probably the biggest goal threat ive ever seen and goals win matches. he has to be marked anywhere inside 45 yards or he can score.

irishmanc

Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no rem
im not lobbying for Ronaldo but to put Keane's performance in context with a game of equal importance for Ronaldo, what about last years CL semi-final away to Arsenal. Ronaldo's impossible free kick was very influential in that match and basically sealed the match after 7 minutes. it knocked the wind out of Arsenal's sails.
The big difference there is Ronaldo's free kick was when we were two nil up in the tie and already on our way, Keane's goal came when we were 2 goals down.

Keane's overall performance was inspirational that night and he literally picked the team up by the collar, whereas Ronaldo was excellent in a comfortable situation.

The two are incomarable, IMO

Pogue loves these impossible questions..

You could make a case for the likes of Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, etc.

Im just gonna go for Ryan Giggs for his longevity and consistency throughout Sir Alex's time here. Other great players have come and gone but he is still here with the boss, performing at a high level. They have both adapted with the times and maintained our expectation for success.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Pogue loves these impossible questions..

You could make a case for the likes of Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, etc.

Im just gonna go for Ryan Giggs for his longevity and consistency throughout Sir Alex's time here. Other great players have come and gone but he is still here with the boss, performing at a high level. They have both adapted with the times and maintained our expectation for success.
I like the summation, RB. If Keane was the embodiment of Sir Alex on the pitch then surely Giggs is the embodiment of Manchester United each time he makes an appearance for the club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What's odd about placing some importance on a graceful exit?
Well, I'd say it's kind of odd that any player needs a graceful exit to be considered United's best player?

Why stop there?

Let's scratch Ronaldo off the list for engineering a move to Madrid long before his prime. And Schmeicel too, after his antics in a City shirt.

I just think all that stuff is completely irrelevent in the context of who was the best player in Fergie's era.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well, I'd say it's kind of odd that any player needs a graceful exit to be considered United's best player?

Why stop there?

Let's scratch Ronaldo off the list for engineering a move to Madrid long before his prime. And Schmeicel too, after his antics in a City shirt.

I just think all that stuff is completely irrelevent in the context of who was the best player in Fergie's era.
Ronaldo tried to engineer a move but was convinced to stay for one more season by Sir Alex. In the end, the club acquiesced to Real's desires and sold him. As far as we know Ronaldo never submitted a transfer request, which is important. That big golden ball he won carries a lot of sway, mind.

Schmichael admitted he was not enthused by the requirements of playing at the top level any longer and went to Sporting Lisbon to relax and expose his kids to a new culture, iirc. Sure, you can fault him for playing for City but I don't think it harms his legacy. He was big enough to tell us like it was.

You forgot about Eric, I mean who the feck retires at 31? :angel:

I disagree about relevance. As it stands it's a close contest, so failings are just as admissible as triumphs when a player is under consideration for such an accolade. Rose tinted specs and all that. All I'm saying is that Keane rates but he isn't podium material.

ALX8725

reyalP maeT htuoY
Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
Depends what you mean by 'best'

Most brilliant - Ronaldo, easily

Total service to the club - Giggs
I would post something very similar to this, except for me

Most Brilliant - Cantona
Most Talented - Ronaldo
Best overall servant to the club - Giggs

Suedesi

One question though. Who was the last United player who was unanamously acknowledged as the very best in the world? I don't mean best central midfielder, best leader, best attacking midfielder, best goalscorer etc but head and shoulders the best footballer on the planet.

And if most are honest they'll acknowledge he was that for two seasons in a row and not just 2007-2008.

For me it's Cristiano Ronaldo. He was influencial, he was shockingly gifted, he made us feared and he was usually the best.

Hear, hear.

Suedesi

I would post something very similar to this, except for me

Most Brilliant - Cantona
Most Talented - Ronaldo
Best overall servant to the club - Giggs
What about the best player with a receding hairline. Has to be Rooney non?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree with that. It's between those 2, depending on what you are looking for in "best".
And if it is, it has to be Ronaldo. We're talking about best player, the best footballer to have played under Fergie, not the player to have over his tenure given the most to the club aggregate. Had Maradona played under Fergie for one season he'd still be ahead of Ruud.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
I think it would have to be Cantona. For such a small fee, and for what he achieved in his short time there, I would give my vote to him.

He epitomised what the club was about.
And we paid how much for Giggs????

If he does not epitomise what Manchester United is about, then I don't know who does....

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It has to be Ronaldo. When you say best you are literally talking about a players quality- transfer fee, longevity etc don't come in to it. Ronaldo is the best player we have had at this club under Fergie's reign.

sincher

Boo to SmashedHombre!

Boring, unemotional, probably correct answer.

Giggs :)

Waltraute

She-Devil
It has to be Ronaldo. When you say best you are literally talking about a players quality- transfer fee, longevity etc don't come in to it. Ronaldo is the best player we have had at this club under Fergie's reign.
No, I'd insist, even at gunpoint, the best player who've ever played under Sir Alex is Bryan Robson.
He truly epitomises what United's all about -- it's about being brilliant, blotto & beyond this world.

Ronaldo? He was great, but he was always a transient player in my mind, always just passing through on his way to the next adventure, however brilliant he was.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Best Player?

Wow....difficult question.....

If I had to break it down season by season

1986/87 - Bryan Robson
1987/88 - Bryan Robson
1988/89 - Bryan Robson
1989/90 - Mark Hughes
1990/91 - Steve Bruce
1991/92 - Peter Schmeichel
1992/93 - Eric Cantona
1993/94 - Ryan Giggs
1994/95 - Andrei Kanchelskis
1995/96 - Eric Cantona
1996/97 - David Beckham
1997/98 - Roy Keane
1998/99 - Roy Keane
1999/00 - Roy Keane
2000/01 - Teddy Sheringham
2001/02 - Ruud Van Nistelrooy
2002/03 - Paul Scholes
2003/04 - Ruud Van Nistelrooy
2004/05 - Wayne Rooney
2005/06 - Wayne Rooney
2006/07 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2007/08 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2008/09 - Rio Ferdinand

If it was most talented it would be Ronaldo

If it was most charismatic it would be Eric

If it was most exciting it would be Giggs

If it was most impactful it would be Ruud

But for me.....the best player under Fergies regime would be:

1. Bryan Robson (1986-1991 he basically carried the team)
2. Ryan Giggs (1990-2009 still doing it)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (2003-2009 best player in world)
4. Roy Keane (1996-2000 he was fantastic)
5. Peter Schmeichel (1991-1999 saved us so many times)

After that you can take your pick.

Cina

Best Player?

Wow....difficult question.....

If I had to break it down season by season

1986/87 - Bryan Robson
1987/88 - Bryan Robson
1988/89 - Bryan Robson
1989/90 - Mark Hughes
1990/91 - Steve Bruce
1991/92 - Peter Schmeichel
1992/93 - Eric Cantona
1993/94 - Ryan Giggs
1994/95 - Andrei Kanchelskis
1995/96 - Eric Cantona
1996/97 - David Beckham
1997/98 - Roy Keane
1998/99 - Roy Keane
1999/00 - Roy Keane
2000/01 - Teddy Sheringham
2001/02 - Ruud Van Nistelrooy
2002/03 - Paul Scholes
2003/04 - Ruud Van Nistelrooy
2004/05 - Wayne Rooney
2005/06 - Wayne Rooney
2006/07 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2007/08 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2008/09 - Rio Ferdinand
You lost me there.

I'd certainly pick Ronaldo anyway, I think some people are letting their love of other players cloud their judgement. Ronaldo may not be the fans favourite that Keane, Giggs, Cantona were/are but he's the best player Fergie has ever had.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That's why, for example, Keane's performance against Juventus in '99 will always put him ahead of Ronaldo in this sort of discussion. I don't think Ronaldo has ever influenced the course of such an important game as comprehensively as Keane did that night.
Hmmm...Ronaldo did influence effectively the same match (Champions League Semi Away) last season... not in the same way as Keane and the match was already in our favor but I think we give that game too much credence sometimes in the overall picture...Giggs winner at Villa park was just as important for the season as a whole...Yes Keano changed the game with his force of presence but it's worth pointing out that Ronaldo has 'stepped up' in games of the same stature..

I'm really only arguing semantics here, but to use that game as a reason why Keane's better than Ronaldo is a little hazy for me....My point is that personally, and this is just my personal opinion, I think we hagiographize Keane a little too much at times for that Season...Beckham & Yorke were almost as effective as Keane in 99 and though I do think he was a tremendous player for us, I don't think he was the Best under Fergie...Cantona influenced many many games in the 95/96 season. We weren't in the CL that year though...

Cantona, Ronaldo & Giggs would be the Top 3 for me (for Influence, Talent and Consistency)...and I'd put Eric on Top....his overall influence on us as a club under Fergie edges out Keano for me. He started the train, Keane kept it going

Nathan

Without a doubt its Keane - he had everything, box to box midfielder. Influential leader, always putting his body on the line for the team. A born winner.

There's only 1 KEANO................