Best player of Fergie's era

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
How can anyone on here say "easily Ronaldo" or "Ronaldo without a shadow of a doubt"? It's as if people have forgotten some of the players that we've witnessed over the years. There's obviously a strong case for Ronaldo, but he's by no means a league above some of the others.

Again, if we're basing it on just talent, then it has to be Schmeichel. He's the only one that has a valid claim to a place in an all-time World XI.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
How can anyone on here say "easily Ronaldo" or "Ronaldo without a shadow of a doubt"? It's as if people have forgotten some of the players that we've witnessed over the years. There's obviously a strong case for Ronaldo, but he's by no means a league above some of the others.

Again, if we're basing it on just talent, then it has to be Schmeichel. He's the only one that has a valid claim to a place in an all-time World XI.
You have got to learn to respect other people's opinions KingEric7.

Romaleouf

But did he score the goal that put you in a position to win? A great keeper is a bonus, but you still need to score to win games, not just not concede.
Believe Schmeichel did score during injury time to equalise in one European match ???

Yes, but Peter the Great Dane was in a class of its own. If you look at the penalty save against Bergkamp in the F.A. Cup Semi finals, when Giggs scored probably the goal of the decade; that save put us back in the game.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well, a lot of people in Cork who know him tend to agree with that.

I'm not so sure though. I think he was just being honest about things and was speaking his mind. I would like to think that he's the kind of guy that could look the situation straight on when he felt his time was up, and admit that.

I think though, that the argument is who the best player of fergie's era is, and i dont think that this incisent should affect people's view on Keane in that sense. It was the twelve years beforehand that should be looked at, and not the circumstances that lead to his departure.
I'm not saying he isn't up there, just that he's not as far up the list as he probably should be, at least for me. I've no doubt he was speaking his mind in the interview but like a lot of incidents in his career, he probably should have had a think about it first. Since so many have said it's about the whole career then maybe we should look at the Haaland business more closely. Granted his passion was responsible for a great deal of what happened but clearly it was stupid, and Roy's career had too much stupid, at least comparatively to some of the other names being chucked about. Great player and a club legend but definitely not the greatest of Fergie's era.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
By pure football skills: Ronaldo, no doubt.

By complexity: Keane, no doubt.

By soul: Cantona, no doubt.

By me: Giggs, no doubt.

And don't me ask what these categories mean, I have no idea...:D

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be honest, it's probably an age thing. You'd needed to have watched Giggs/Keane/Scholes/Cantona at their peak to appreciate how good they really are. I'm not sure many on here have.

I'm constantly amazed at the people on here who remember Keane as some kind of holding midfielder. Won't be long before Giggs is known only as a central midfielder.

Suedesi

I'd consider the best player for United or best player footballing abilitywise.
United's best player in Fergies Era ( to me this means committed Loyalty and achiements )
1. Ryan Giggs.
2. Paul Scholes.
3. Gary Neville.
4. Roy Keane.
5. Eric Cantona.
6. Rio Ferdinand.
7. Ole Gunnar Solsjaer.
8. Christiano Ronaldo.
9. David Beckham.
10. Wayne Rooney.
You can have a laugh at my list all you like but to me I think these are the players who have mostly inspired me when I watch united over the ten yrs or so that I started to support United.

As for players abilities. ( includes consistency, all round play, contribution, and individual performances that wins us games.
1. Ronaldo, why ? ( three seasons as a forward scoring over 90 goals, winning us 3 PL,1CL some individual goals that were just breath taking. Also won the Ballon'dor )
2. Roy Keane, ( His influence, his determination, his drive everything he contributed as a captain on the pitch lead us to win the 1CL and what 6PL's if I'm not mistaken )
3. Ryan Giggs ( Welsh wizard, won it all. Though he didn't win the title of BPITW I still think he's up there in the top3 )
4. Paul Scholes ( Passing,crossing genius and at his primes, "Paul Scholes = Goals"
5. Eric Cantona ( Was the start of our magnificent play, though you can say Bryan Robson was the key player before him but I think we were a Unique team after aquiring Ooh Ah Cantona )

It's just with playing abilities I favor flair, dribbling, and entertainment more than inspiring captains. That why I chose Ronaldo.
If you read the CAF really, really closely, it was Michael Carrick who won us all those prizes...

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
To be honest, it's probably an age thing. You'd needed to have watched Giggs/Keane/Scholes/Cantona at their peak to appreciate how good they really are. I'm not sure many on here have.

I'm constantly amazed at the people on here who remember Keane as some kind of holding midfielder. Won't be long before Giggs is known only as a central midfielder.
I think age is definitely a factor for some posters, they may not have seen enough or remember how great some of the players under Fergie truly were.

irishmanc

Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no rem
I'm not saying he isn't up there, just that he's not as far up the list as he probably should be, at least for me. I've no doubt he was speaking his mind in the interview but like a lot of incidents in his career, he probably should have had a think about it first. Since so many have said it's about the whole career then maybe we should look at the Haaland business more closely. Granted his passion was responsible for a great deal of what happened but clearly it was stupid, and Roy's career had too much stupid, at least comparatively to some of the other names being chucked about. Great player and a club legend but definitely not the greatest of Fergie's era.
I see your point on that one. But again I'd nearly argue that it was the stupid things he did that had a lot to do with why so much people loved him, and still do love him.

Like was said though a while ago, if we go analysing the Haaland incident, then we have to look at Cantona's hooligan kick, Schmeichel's spat with Ian Wright, and others. I wouldnt have necessarily thought that should be brought into it

For the record, I gave my vote to Cantona earlier in the thread :)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Some of the stuff being said about Keane is utter bollocks.

How does an unaired interview tarnish what he did on the pitch? We always knew Keano shot from the hip. By that stage, he was clearly past it, but age catching up with you doesn't tarnish what a player he was.

Also, agree with Pogue, it amazes me when people talk about Keane as a holding midfield player. I really do curse Claude Makelele for making that position so popular! At the peak of his powers he was so good it's untrue - simply a complete central midfield player. The likes of Gerrard and Lampard, in terms of overall ability don't come close. Iron-willed, driven, strong, quick, good passer, good tackler, good tactical appreciation and a goal threat.

The reason I wouldn't have Keane as the best player is because his decline was quite dramatic - with the hip and everything, he was literally winding down as a top-level player for about 2 years, which is a bit of a shame really. I think that is what ruins the memory of Keane to be honest.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The reason I wouldn't have Keane as the best player is because his decline was quite dramatic - with the hip and everything, he was literally winding down as a top-level player for about 2 years, which is a bit of a shame really. I think that is what ruins the memory of Keane to be honest.
That affects my judgment as well. Remembering the lows as well as the highs shifts players around in the ratings.

Plus I'm old enough to remember Robson :D

KingEric7

Fair enough, Boss. I consider myself to be fairly objective, but if that's how I come across then ok.

However, I find it impossible to accept that anyone can seriously believe that Ronaldo was "easily" better/more influential/etc than Cantona. Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo is a special footballer and, on paper, is better than Cantona. I don't like him, nor do I rate him as highly as some, but he obviously more than warrants a mention in threads such as this.

Still though...

Dr. Dwayne

Fair enough. But you're the one implying his manner of departure was enough to tarnish his legacy. Bearing in mind that as a player he was arguably the single most influential player in Fergie's most succesful season ever, I find it really odd that you would find this MUTV interview nonsense as reason enough to rank him beneath the other players you mention.
What's odd about placing some importance on a graceful exit?

Eric had one, Ronaldo's was certainly not as bad as it could have been and Giggs will probably be accompanied out of OT by Angels playing harps while sprinkling him with gold leaf and white rose petals; they all have one thing, we as fans can respect the circumstances. Roy deserved a better exit but he maybe engineered one that diminished things for me.

Dr. Dwayne

I see your point on that one. But again I'd nearly argue that it was the stupid things he did that had a lot to do with why so much people loved him, and still do love him.

Like was said though a while ago, if we go analysing the Haaland incident, then we have to look at Cantona's hooligan kick, Schmeichel's spat with Ian Wright, and others. I wouldnt have necessarily thought that should be brought into it

For the record, I gave my vote to Cantona earlier in the thread :)
Yeah, don't get me wrong, fantastic player and reading his book only made me think he was more awesome.

It's just that in this sort of contest everything should be judged objectively.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That affects my judgment as well. Remembering the lows as well as the highs shifts players around in the ratings.

Plus I'm old enough to remember Robson :D
I reckon that is exactly what it is. You are more inclined to remember what is most recent - in Keane's case, that was a lot of injuries, a dramatic loss of mobility, the decision by Ferguson to remould the formation (the birth of 4-3-3) to cover for Keane's physical decline, and so on...

I can't believe people would use the unaired MUTV interview as a stick to beat Keane with. He was always outspoken. Heck, when he was stalling on a deal, he was publically bashing the club and board for not stumping up. We didn't say anything about that, because he did his talking on the pitch.

More surprising is any reference to what happened with Ireland. I'm not Irish and care not a jot about international football. This incident doesn't soil my memory of Keane.

I'd have: Ronaldo (1), Cantona (2) and Keane (3).

Re Giggs: as much of a constant as he has been, has he actually ever been the integral part of a winning United side, in the same way as the above players? Without Ronaldo, Keane and Cantona, we'd have won a heck of a lot less. Does the same ring true for Giggs?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Fair enough, Boss. I consider myself to be fairly objective, but if that's how I come across then ok.

However, I find it impossible to accept that anyone can seriously believe that Ronaldo was "easily" better/more influential/etc than Cantona. Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo is a special footballer and, on paper, is better than Cantona. I don't like him, nor do I rate him as highly as some, but he obviously more than warrants a mention in threads such as this.

Still though...
Ronaldo was the talisman in the years 06 through 08 in the same way Cantona was in his 5 years at the club. But Ronaldo did it on the European stage. He just has the edge.

irishmanc

Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no rem
Yeah, don't get me wrong, fantastic player and reading his book only made me think he was more awesome.

It's just that in this sort of contest everything should be judged objectively.
Its easily the best autobiography I've read. Some great insights into his various relationships with players, managers, etc

I think the bottom line is that in a thread like this there can never be an absolutely definitive answer. The matter is highly subjective and trying to find an objective answer is impossible.

There are things that many will respect in one player and dislike about another, and the next person may find the exact opposite, For example, many may say Ronaldo is the greatest because of his skill and goals whereas others will say Keane because of his tenacity, work rate, and winning mentality. It all comes down to what people find likeable in a player, their playing style and their personalities.

Decotron

Still though...

pikey ;)

KingEric7

Ronaldo was the talisman in the years 06 through 08 in the same way Cantona was in his 5 years at the club. But Ronaldo did it on the European stage. He just has the edge.
Don't have a problem with that opinion. It's the "Ronaldo, easily" post I was referring to which made it sound like there was no doubt about it whatsoever.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Spinning out from the Ronaldo "4 myths" thread, this probably merits it's own thread.

Looking back over the course of Fergie's time at the club. Which player would you single out the best?

I'm torn between Keane, Scholes or Giggs.

Maybe Giggs shades it for still being so amazing, after all these years?

That's leaving out Cantona and Ronaldo though. Controversial?
Definitely. In their short spell here they both had a bigger impact than Scholes.

For me the best is Giggs. He has been key to every league title win SAF has ever had. Followed by Ron and Cantona + Keane in third place.

KingEric7

Rather you should curse him for demaning the positon so badly. That people now think extra limited players like him are what the game is about. Real holding midfielders play ball like Keane. Not like fecking Claude.
Pogue's not gonna like that one, Chief. :D

Keane wasn't a holding midfielder.

MG

Surprisingly, I'm going to say Ryan Giggs!

I just don't think any other player under Fergie has been as good for as long. If you think that Giggsy was wining the Young Player of the Year awards in '92 and '93 when he was 18/19 and he's still winning awards now at 35, and he's still a very important part of the team (arguably our most creative midfielder), you have to say that his career has been phenomenal, and is unrivalled by any of the other players to play in the Fergie era (only really Bobby Charlton can match his career stats).

Cantona and Ronaldo were brilliant, but both were only here for 5 seasons. You can't judge them on the same level as Giggsy because he's been here for like 17 seasons! Who knows if Cantona and Ronaldo would have had some poor seasons if they'd stayed longer?

I'd put Paul Scholes as second as well, for being probably the best midfielder England have produced since Charlton, and having similar longevity to Giggs.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Re Giggs: as much of a constant as he has been, has he actually ever been the integral part of a winning United side, in the same way as the above players? Without Ronaldo, Keane and Cantona, we'd have won a heck of a lot less. Does the same ring true for Giggs?
IMO, no - I dont think Giggs has ever been the best player at the club at any point in his career which is why I would have him behind Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane, Ronaldo and even Scholes - he would fight out 6th spot with Beckham and Rio.

I know many will disagree but there you go - obviously he deserves a lot of credit for longevity but that does not equate to being the best for me.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Best player under Ferguson, in the literal sense, would probably be Ronaldo. But the best player to give the most to the team and leave a lasting legacy would be Cantona.
I would agree with the first bit, but Giggs wins the lasting legacy claim for me. Cantona was undoubtedly the inspiration for the return of success, but was only there for five seasons, one of which he missed over half due to suspension.

MG

IMO, no - I dont think Giggs has ever been the best player at the club at any point in his career which is why I would have him behind Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane, Ronaldo and even Scholes - he would fight out 6th spot with Beckham and Rio.

I know many will disagree but there you go - obviously he deserves a lot of credit for longevity but that does not equate to being the best for me.
Maybe it doesn't make him the best of the best, but it's a factor important enough to place him higher than 6th for me. And definitely higher than Beckham.

Look at it this way: Fergie picks the best players to play season in, season out. He wouldn't have constantly picked Giggs to make god knows how many appearances he makes every season, for 17 years, including playing in most of the very important games, if he didn't rate him extremely highly and if he wasn't an exceptional player.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Pogue's not gonna like that one, Chief. :D

Keane wasn't a holding midfielder.
He took over Ince's job. In order to carry Scholes for years. No player who isn't one would be able to do that. It's just that Makelele has fooled everyone into believing the role is only for limited fellows like him. The Brazilian's also don't help with their "piano carrying" description.

Keane was undoubtedly the glue that held our team together. Which is what the role is supposed to be about.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Maybe it doesn't make him the best of the best, but it's a factor important enough to place him higher than 6th for me. And definitely higher than Beckham.

Look at it this way: Fergie picks the best players to play season in, season out. He wouldn't have constantly picked Giggs to make god knows how many appearances he makes every season, for 17 years, including playing in most of the very important games, if he didn't rate him extremely highly and if he wasn't an exceptional player.
Well that's fair enough - I guess everyone has their own criteria for what they use to decide who is the 'best'. For me, longevity is not as important as pure ability but for others it might be the most important factor.

I also rate Giggs highly but, as you note, we are talking about the 'best of the best' here and we have been lucky enough to see some truly exceptional players under Fergie over the years - Giggs is one of them but there are definitely a few I put even higher.

KingEric7

No more than Ronaldo, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Evra, VDS, Tevez.

Probably on par with Fletcher and O'Shea.
I'm amazed by some of the random agendas for players that posters have on here.

Northstand

I might have gone for Giggs or Scholes as my favourite players, or Schmeichel as possibly the best ever in his position, or Ronaldo as the most talented of all, but to select the best player of Fergie's era, the best method is probably to choose the player who's absence would have had the greatest effect on our fortunes. For me, that has to be Cantona.

Remember, after being beaten to the title in '92 (by Leeds and Cantona), we started the following season very unconvincingly and were struggling for goals, with around a third of the season gone. Of course, we went on to win the league that year, and in three of the following four years, only missing out when Eric served his long ban.

Applying the same method, Keane would have to be my No 2 for his extraordinary influence on the side in the mid to late 90s.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

One question though. Who was the last United player who was unanamously acknowledged as the very best in the world? I don't mean best central midfielder, best leader, best attacking midfielder, best goalscorer etc but head and shoulders the best footballer on the planet.

And if most are honest they'll acknowledge he was that for two seasons in a row and not just 2007-2008.

For me it's Cristiano Ronaldo. He was influencial, he was shockingly gifted, he made us feared and he was usually the best.