Best player of Fergie's era

Name Changed

weso26
Roy Keane for me, easily. He was the one player who could be absolutely immense when the team was in trouble and playing poorly. There are very few players who look truly world class when the team are both winning and losing and he was one of them. There are also very few players who could inspire a team to get a result like he did. Juventus away in 1999 must be one of the best displays there will ever be from a central midfielder. He was immense when at his best.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Beckham, feck, I love Beckham.

Ronaldo for pure ability, Giggs for service and loyalty, but heck, I love Beckham, the way he plays, his dedication to the club long after he's gone (which to me means more than when he's still playing)

Quinny1999

I think it depends on how you are judging it, it is a very difficult one to judge as the best all round player. However something like;

* Keane - Because he was a pure leader and the engine room of the team

* Cantona - he turned potential in to success, he helped the club take that final step, then we rolled on from there

* Giggs - been the most consistent over the Fergie era and still keeps going

---------

Players like Robbo, Keane, Scholes and Ronaldo will also be mentioned along with others, but I think for one reason or another it has to be one of the above. Just my opinion.

eric le roi

In terms of the one player who had the biggest impact at the club and took it to new levels it has to be Cantona. The excitement of just seeing him on the pitch, the swagger he had and gave to the team, the influence he had on the players and on Fergie and the fans and still has to this day.

Whether he is the 'best' player is debatable.

greekscavenger1

I think the term 'best' is a little too broad.

Most talented? Ronaldo

Most influential? Keane

Most consistent? Giggs

Cantona can also be described as best because he came when we needed him the most and was most influential for a set period.

Quinny1999

I think the term 'best' is a little too broad.

Most talented? Ronaldo

Most influential? Keane

Most consistent? Giggs

Cantona can also be described as best because he came when we needed him the most and was most influential for a set period.
Most talented? Ronaldo

Most influential? Keane\Cantona

Most consistent? Giggs

Cantona was very influential, changed the game for United and helped the younger players such as Scholes, Neville (both), Beckham etc...so he has to be there. I agree with the rest and think this is the closest you would get to an overall winner.

gaffs

Most talented? Ronaldo

Most influential? Keane\Cantona

Most consistent? Giggs

Cantona was very influential, changed the game for United and helped the younger players such as Scholes, Neville (both), Beckham etc...so he has to be there. I agree with the rest and think this is the closest you would get to an overall winner.
I would go with that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo. If he wasn't influential we may have gone 6 years without a big trophy. His improvement as a player over the summer of 2006 was stunning. He made us feared. He made a good team great.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Im not sure if your joking or not? But no fa cup semi final replay against le arse. You know the one im sure :)
:D

I was. "Giggs goal" only makes you think of one thing, even though his hundred and however many others haven't been too shabby either.

I think most agree that the most talented were Ronaldo and Schmeichel. The former for becoming officially the best player in the World, the latter for having a claim to be the best in his position - in the World at the time and in many people's eyes, ever. But that I don't think transfers itself to answer the question because I think for everything else they gave, Cantona and Keane remain ahead of them, as does Giggsy, who for pure talent is only just below Ronaldo or Schmeichel anyway.

Best Fergie XI?

Schmeichel
Neville - Ferdinand - Vidic - Irwin
Ronaldo - Robson - Keane - Giggs
Rooney - Cantona​

I have deliberately played a 4-4-2 and stuck to natural positions, too. No room for Bruce, Pallister, Evra, Beckham, Scholes, Hughes, Nistelrooy. Solskjaer would be my lone substitute.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
If I am honest there are two players that I personally place above all others, but for different reasons.

My favourite was Cantona.. Not the most technically gifted player, and ineffective in Europe but for sheer arrogance, moments of brilliance and utter contempt for everyone other than United, he was master.

Then behind him, the one player I rated so highly, yet never seems to get a mention is Denis Irwin. Without a doubt the best right back I've seen in the game, yet so unassuming, quiet and level headed. He did so much for United and yet never gets mentioned with the greats.

Irwin is the most under-rated player United have ever had.. Simply awesome player yet one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and its testimony to him that every club hes ever played at, each and every set of fans say pretty much the same thing.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Ronaldo. If he wasn't influential we may have gone 6 years without a big trophy. His improvement as a player over the summer of 2006 was stunning. He made us feared. He made a good team great.
Yes his improvement in that one season was to be commended. But what about his very slow progress before that.

In 2004/5 he was bloody awful.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If I am honest there are two players that I personally place above all others, but for different reasons.

My favourite was Cantona.. Not the most technically gifted player, and ineffective in Europe but for sheer arrogance, moments of brilliance and utter contempt for everyone other than United, he was master.

Then behind him, the one player I rated so highly, yet never seems to get a mention is Denis Irwin. Without a doubt the best right back I've seen in the game, yet so unassuming, quiet and level headed. He did so much for United and yet never gets mentioned with the greats.

Irwin is the most under-rated player United have ever had.. Simply awesome player yet one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and its testimony to him that every club hes ever played at, each and every set of fans say pretty much the same thing.
Completely agree about Dennis. Great shout.

amolbhatia50k

Yes his improvement in that one season was to be commended. But what about his very slow progress before that.

In 2004/5 he was bloody awful.
He was never awful. Frustrating given his abilities but even in those early years he was one of the most productive and effective wingers in the league. You have to take into account how young he was. You can't expect a 19 year old in the best league in europe and one very different to the one he's used to, to inspire you to titles immediately. It doesn't happen. Had Keane gone at 19 to Real, it wouldn't have happened either.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Spinning out from the Ronaldo "4 myths" thread, this probably merits it's own thread.

Looking back over the course of Fergie's time at the club. Which player would you single out the best?

I'm torn between Keane, Scholes or Giggs.

Maybe Giggs shades it for still being so amazing, after all these years?

That's leaving out Cantona and Ronaldo though. Controversial?
Best players in terms of consistency: Schmeichel, Keane, Scholes and Beckham
Best players in interms of influence: Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo and Solskajer
Greatest player to play under Fergie: Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Keane and Scholes
Fergie's greatest signing: Schmeichel, Solskjaer, Keane, Ronaldo.

Schmeichel
Keane
Ronaldo
Scholes
Solskjaer
Beckham

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Best Player - Ronaldo (Only BPITW in the Fergie era. Schmeichel is the only other player who was arguably the best in the world)
Most talented - Giggs
Most Influential - Keane
:houllier:

The only United player apart from George Best that had an outside chance of being in contention in the all time World XI was Schmeichel.

Its clear you havent watched much football in the 90's.

Waltraute

She-Devil

Hear, hear!

I'd still put Scholes & Giggs ahead of him, but he certainly deserves a mention in a thread like this, as well as our undying gratitude.

On my personal list of United greats during Sir Alex's years, he's above eg Beckham or Ronaldo, but just a bit behind Robson, Cantona, Scholes & Giggs.

A wonderful player & (as far as I know) a great man.

Name Changed

weso26

100% in relation to Irwin in my opinion.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Best player of Fergie's era
If we're talking pure ability then it absolutely has to be Ronaldo.

If you want to take other factors into consideration like influence, loyalty and what not then sure, the likes of Keane, Giggs, Cantona et al can get a mention. But that wasn't the question.

amolbhatia50k

:houllier:

The only United player apart from George Best that had an outside chance of being in contention in the all time World XI was Schmeichel.

Its clear you havent watched much football in the 90's.
:houllier: at yourself.

Where did he mention anyone getting into an all time world XI? He was talking about United players under Fergie that have been the best footballers in the world at their time. Ronaldo was. Schmeichel, possibly.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Our most gifted player in Fergie’s reign was Ronaldo followed by Cantona

Our most influential would have to be Cantona very closely followed by Keane

Best value for money Cantona, Irwin, Schmeichel, Keane, Solskjaer and Ronaldo

Legends created within the Fergie era Robson (aware he started under Ron but stamped his authority further under Fergie) Cantona, Keane, Scholes and Giggs.

One name present in all categories thus making him my choice for best player under Fergie: Eric Cantona

amolbhatia50k

Our most gifted player in Fergie’s reign was Ronaldo followed by Cantona

Our most influential would have to be Cantona very closely followed by Keane

Best value for money Cantona, Irwin, Schmeichel, Keane, Solskjaer and Ronaldo

Legends created within the Fergie era Robson (aware he started under Ron but stamped his authority further under Fergie) Cantona, Keane, Scholes and Giggs.

One name present in all categories thus making him my choice for best player under Fergie: Eric Cantona
What does legends have to do with it? Had Maradona been with us for 2 years at his peak would he have not been the best player under Fergie?
What does best value for money have to do with it? It's a bad thing that Rooney was so good at 18?