Television Better Call Saul | Includes Breaking Bad Spoilers

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Watched it and then went to bed but couldn’t stop thinking about it :lol:

I feel so bad for Howard. He didn’t really ever do anything majorly wrong and to have those two worlds suddenly collide at that moment but him not really having a clue what’s going on. Fantastic scene.
Yea for sure, he was tormented by the two of them but really he was a decent guy and just caught in the wrong situation.

That scene was absolutely brutal.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh man Howard being dumped in the same hole as Lalo and then his name being dragged afterwards whilst all those pictures of him just being a regular nice guy are up in the lobby. It’s really sad and leaves such a bad taste. Credit to the show for eliciting those emotions out of you. Everything with Kim leaving at the end of episode 9 as well. Man :(

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well I’ve finished. Really enjoyed it.

Scrolled through the thread and saw a lot of weird “filler” comments at times but I’ve never really understood that. Everything seemed to have a purpose in the end. Also maybe it helps when you binge it like I did.

Now comes the inevitable sense of loss you get when you finish a good show.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Scrolled through the thread and saw a lot of weird “filler” comments at times but I’ve never really understood that. Everything seemed to have a purpose in the end. Also maybe it helps when you binge it like I did.

Now comes the inevitable sense of loss you get when you finish a good show.
To me, there were some filler episodes in the first half of the last season. I would bet they would seem far less mundane if I had binged the last season like you did.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

The purpose often wasn't apparant during the same episode.

Having to wait a week (or longer) enhances this dynamic as you've alluded to.

MiceOnMeth

Couldn't get into this during season 1 and 2 when it first aired. Found it very boring and Jimmy as a protagonist just didn't do it for me.
But with Breaking Bad being my favourite show ever I decided I should give it another go.
Watched a recap of season 1 and 2 and jumped straight into season 3 and I'm really loving all the stuff with Mike and Hector and Gus and cinematography is just excellent Vince Gilligan is amazing.

Jimmy Chuck and Kim on the other hand are just as boring as I remembered. I just don't care about them at all. I just don't find Jimmys transformation into Saul Goodman makes for very good TV but I'm only on season 3 so maybe it will get better.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Couldn't get into this during season 1 and 2 when it first aired. Found it very boring and Jimmy as a protagonist just didn't do it for me.
But with Breaking Bad being my favourite show ever I decided I should give it another go.
Watched a recap of season 1 and 2 and jumped straight into season 3 and I'm really loving all the stuff with Mike and Hector and Gus and cinematography is just excellent Vince Gilligan is amazing.

Jimmy Chuck and Kim on the other hand are just as boring as I remembered. I just don't care about them at all. I just don't find Jimmys transformation into Saul Goodman makes for very good TV but I'm only on season 3 so maybe it will get better.
I'd say it does, by quite a lot actually.

But generally speaking it's much more of a slow burn than breaking bad, even in the latter seasons.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

I've got good news for you. The show just gets better and better. And I bet you will feel very differently about them as a couple.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Went back to this over the last few months after giving up at the end of season three originally. Definitely appreciate it more for what it is now than I did back then and enjoy it more. It’s an insanely slow burn that’s more of a character study than Breaking Bad was (with a few spaghetti western bits thrown in in the later seasons), and very funny at times.

BUT I still don’t get the insane praise. I’ve two episodes left to go and whilst parts of season 4, 5, and to a lesser extent 6 have been superb (mostly thanks to Lalo who is a stereotypical but brilliantly portrayed villain) it’s just so fecking slow and full of unnecessary fluff at times. It’s a good show but not a patch on BB. Jimmy, Kim, Chuck, Howard, all great characters in their own way though.

Episode 8 with THAT ending was a particular highlight but then episode 9 was really underwhelming after all I’d heard about it because it was so obvious none of the major players were ever in danger. Also not mad on the format of the final 4 episodes so far. Bit of a bore after the previous few.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Went back to this over the last few months after giving up at the end of season three originally. Definitely appreciate it more for what it is now than I did back then and enjoy it more. It’s an insanely slow burn that’s more of a character study than Breaking Bad was (with a few spaghetti western bits thrown in in the later seasons), and very funny at times.

BUT I still don’t get the insane praise. I’ve two episodes left to go and whilst parts of season 4, 5, and to a lesser extent 6 have been superb (mostly thanks to Lalo who is a stereotypical but brilliantly portrayed villain) it’s just so fecking slow and full of unnecessary fluff at times. It’s a good show but not a patch on BB. Jimmy, Kim, Chuck, Howard, all great characters in their own way though.

Episode 8 with THAT ending was a particular highlight but then episode 9 was really underwhelming after all I’d heard about it because it was so obvious none of the major players were ever in danger. Also not mad on the format of the final 4 episodes so far. Bit of a bore after the previous few.
I’ve watched both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul through twice now and I actually prefer Better Call Saul.

I think BB had more of an impact on me first viewing and was more gripping but I just find BCS so indulgent.

That said I also think that without BB I wouldn’t appreciate BCS so they’re hard to separate.

Massive Spanner

I’ve watched both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul through twice now and I actually prefer Better Call Saul.

I think BB had more of an impact on me first viewing and was more gripping but I just find BCS so indulgent.

That said I also think that without BB I wouldn’t appreciate BCS so they’re hard to separate.
The montages in BCS are wonderful. I could watch Jimmy buy vending machine coffees all day.

admittedly I haven’t seen BB in yeeeears so I need to rewatch it and see if it still holds up, but twenty something me loved it obviously. Parts of BCS were also a little lost on me cause I can remember shit all from BB and there were so many little nods and references.

still, I said it at the time but a 10 years older Jonathan banks playing a 10 years younger Mike was really hard to not laugh at a lot of the time :lol: kinda just get used to it. Even the twins looked like they’d aged around 20 years! odenkirk still looked immaculate throughout though.

I should say I really liked BCS. If Breaking Bad is like a top 5 or 10 show this is maybe in my top 20-25 and parts of the last few seasons were phenomenal telly.

Jev

I sort of agree. When people say it's on par with or even better than Breaking Bad, I mostly put it down to recency bias, trying to be different, or, for lack of a better word, elitism (oh, I don't care about entertainment!). I think it's a great show but it's ridiculously slow at times. Would have loved to see the four season cut.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The montages in BCS are wonderful. I could watch Jimmy buy vending machine coffees all day.

admittedly I haven’t seen BB in yeeeears so I need to rewatch it and see if it still holds up, but twenty something me loved it obviously. Parts of BCS were also a little lost on me cause I can remember shit all from BB and there were so many little nods and references.

still, I said it at the time but a 10 years older Jonathan banks playing a 10 years younger Mike was really hard to not laugh at a lot of the time :lol: kinda just get used to it. Even the twins looked like they’d aged around 20 years! odenkirk still looked immaculate throughout though.
Mike is probably my favourite character from any show ever.

The second watching of BB, something that you maybe don’t quite grasp when watching the first time is how relentlessly brutal it all is on Jesse. I think first watch you maybe hold some hope for him but second watch you know it just gets worse and worse.

Massive Spanner

Mike is probably my favourite character from any show ever.

The second watching of BB, something that you maybe don’t quite grasp when watching the first time is how relentlessly brutal it all is on Jesse. I think first watch you maybe hold some hope for him but second watch you know it just gets worse and worse.
I don’t think many other tv scenes have shocked or stayed with me as when the Nazis shot his girlfriend at point blank with him watching. fecking brutal man.

I sort of agree. When people say it's on par with or even better than Breaking Bad, I mostly put it down to recency bias, trying to be different, or, for lack of a better word, elitism (oh, I don't care about entertainment!). I think it's a great show but it's ridiculously slow at times. Would have loved to see the four season cut.
I can see why people love it. It’s incredibly self indulgent and very character driven, it’s a very different show to BB. For me it was just a little TOO slow and meandering at times.

Jev

I don’t think many other tv scenes have shocked or stayed with me as when the Nazis shot his girlfriend at point blank with him watching. fecking brutal man.

I can see why people love it. It’s incredibly self indulgent and very character driven, it’s a very different show to BB. For me it was just a little TOO slow and meandering at times.
I thought the montage sequences became a self-parody at some point. It became a kind of trademark for the show and in the latter seasons it was overindulgent. There were also some plot points I could have lived without entirely. For instance the elaborate con on Howard in the final season was tedious and overly long and seemed so low-stakes for a final season (although it did have a great payoff and turned out to be surprisingly high-stakes). So again, I honestly think a four or five season cut could have been really great. Maybe five 10 episode seasons.

SirAF

Ageist
I thought Odenkirk looked a lot better in BCS than in BB - he was a bit chubbier back then :p

Zen

Not gonna lie, I genuinely liked that they essentially just said "feck it" about the age thing and yeah, didn't bother me in the slightest. Unlike say, The Irishman trying to force the issue... though I guess there's bigger issues there, but still.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
53 Emmy nominations and zero wins.

The next most amount of nominations without winning is 25.

A travesty.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
53 Emmy nominations and zero wins.

The next most amount of nominations without winning is 25.

A travesty.
I think they got unlucky with the timing. By the time the series had become a certifiably good, Succession had already started racking up awards. That being said, Game of Thrones should probably not have won anything after season 6 and I haven't seen The Handmaid's Tale so I can't claim for certain that BCS is better.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Absolutely loved Breaking Bad - best TV show I have and likely will ever watch.

Never tried Better Call Saul as I never thought it could hold a candle to BB - spin-offs very rarely work.

Into season 2 now - fantastic. Vince Gilligan is a hell of a writer.

atkar83

Absolutely loved Breaking Bad - best TV show I have and likely will ever watch.

Never tried Better Call Saul as I never thought it could hold a candle to BB - spin-offs very rarely work.

Into season 2 now - fantastic. Vince Gilligan is a hell of a writer.
Any word on Vince Gilligan's next project?

Superden

My two favourite shows. and yes as mentioned previously i watched BCS before BB. shoot me.