Television Better Call Saul | Includes Breaking Bad Spoilers

MoskvaRed

I don't understand why people struggle with the idea of the characters looking older than they do in Breaking Bad. We all know why that's the case, just get over it and move on? It literally has no impact on the quality of the show.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed this series so far, it's a slow burner yes but you can feel the payoff building and building. The creators are way too smart to let all this be for a damp squib.
I hope you are right but one character arc has been resolved already while the anti-Howard storyline lacks basic credibility for me (he’s self-satisfied and smug but I don’t understand why they want to destroy him). Let’s hope the remainder of this season is better but so far it’s a low strike rate of good to dull episodes.

Zen

Well that was a bit.... tense. But did it make the relentlessly slow build up worth it? I don't know, yes and no.

One of the finer BCS episodes though, for absolutely sure.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Well that was a bit.... tense. But did it make the relentlessly slow build up worth it? I don't know, yes and no.

One of the finer BCS episodes though, for absolutely sure.
It absolutely did. A few things I considered "filler" were actually important to the storyline.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I assume Mike telling Gus that he'd pulled all his men off the low-threat areas included the guy's tailing Kim & Jimmy? I just don't know what Lalo wants from Jimmy though. Does he know about his connection to Mike?

chris123

I assume Mike telling Gus that he'd pulled all his men off the low-threat areas included the guy's tailing Kim & Jimmy? I just don't know what Lalo wants from Jimmy though. Does he know about his connection to Mike?
Good catch on Mike telling Gus that, and yeah that totally tracks with Jimmy's place. Probably a rare sign of complacency from Mike? And yeah, I also don't really know what he needs Jimmy for? From his perspective, the last he sees from Jimmy he does a pretty good job for him, no?

Wasn't expecting that. I've said before but his character is so brilliant. One of the best bits of casting I've ever seen.

Skåre Willoch

Wasn't expecting that. I've said before but his character is so brilliant. One of the best bits of casting I've ever seen.
The overall casting is great. Lalo is the best of the bunch, but I feel they get every actor right !

youngrell

This is what the slow build is for. Without it, the pay off wouldn’t be nearly as good. Great episode.

Hate the long wait again now.

Zen

Certainly don't feel it makes up for the filler, fillers filler regardless of how good the pay off is. I wouldn't say the filler was pointless, just incredibly dragged out, when it's all said and down, I'm more or less certain they could of cut this to 10 episodes reasonably easily, they just wanted that double Award potential, the greedy bastards.

There have been brilliant payoffs throughout BB/BCS, and certain ones better than this that didn't need an overly long build where everyone, including the biggest fans were claiming they were getting there a bit a slowly.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Well done Better Call Saul. You've actually made me feel guilty over a fictional character.

dbs235

Not sure I like how dark it's turning. I know BB was dark, but BCS started off quite cheery. Howard being killed by the cartel just doesn't seem right.

Jericholyte2

This is what the slow build is for. Without it, the pay off wouldn’t be nearly as good. Great episode.

Hate the long wait again now.
Absolutely 100% on this!

was speaking with a friend about this at the weekend. I don’t know if I’m just really late to the party but we came up with a theory about the ending of BCS and
Kim’s total absence from BB

Essentially something major happens and Kim gets implicated (now we o ow what the major thing is!) and so Jimmy has to buy that guy’s little black book that has the Vacuum Repair Shop card in it. It’s agreed with Mike and others (I assume she’ll call him to help with the clean up) that they have to get Kim out of the situation so she gets vanished. Jimmy and Mike agree that as far as they’re concerned she is dead, hence no references to her in BB.

The the ‘epilogue’ in black and white is after he’s vanished and we find that he’s with her again for the sappy happy ending.

frostbite

Certainly don't feel it makes up for the filler, fillers filler regardless of how good the pay off is. I wouldn't say the filler was pointless, just incredibly dragged out, when it's all said and down, I'm more or less certain they could of cut this to 10 episodes reasonably easily, they just wanted that double Award potential, the greedy bastards.

There have been brilliant payoffs throughout BB/BCS, and certain ones better than this that didn't need an overly long build where everyone, including the biggest fans were claiming they were getting there a bit a slowly.
I agree. The end was a surprise, perhaps shocking. But that was yesterday. Today, it seems completely random, just a case of "wrong place, wrong time". It wasn't like Chuck's death, which was a direct result of Saul's machinations.

The whole Howard subplot still feels like bad writing. Saul conned the old lady to get the Sandpiper money, then he changed his mind. The writers did not have any good ideas, so they went back to Sandpiper, and for 5 episodes Saul conned Howard. Long, boring, silly, and unjustified ... they even needed Howard to explain the reasoning to us, because the writers knew that the whole thing was absurd.

youngrell

I agree. The end was a surprise, perhaps shocking. But that was yesterday. Today, it seems completely random, just a case of "wrong place, wrong time". It wasn't like Chuck's death, which was a direct result of Saul's machinations.

The whole Howard subplot still feels like bad writing. Saul conned the old lady to get the Sandpiper money, then he changed his mind. The writers did not have any good ideas, so they went back to Sandpiper, and for 5 episodes Saul conned Howard. Long, boring, silly, and unjustified ... they even needed Howard to explain the reasoning to us, because the writers knew that the whole thing was absurd.
Disagree. It was Kim that was pushing this forward, Jimmy was happy to leave it there. This whole plot line has been about what happens to Kim going forward and how it affects Jimmy/Saul in the longterm. It made complete sense and also fits nicely with Saul being so terrified of Lalo in BB. It's being tied up nicely, IMO.

SirAF

Ageist
Disagree. It was Kim that was pushing this forward, Jimmy was happy to leave it there. This whole plot line has been about what happens to Kim going forward and how it affects Jimmy/Saul in the longterm. It made complete sense and also fits nicely with Saul being so terrified of Lalo in BB. It's being tied up nicely, IMO.
Agree.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Been catching up with this over the last few days and just watched the latest episode.

feck me.

This whole season has been great, maybe it’s because I binged it but I don’t understand the “filler” complaints above, the show has always had a fairly slow pace but it’s done brilliantly.

Didn’t realise there was a break. FML.

Loon

:lol:
I thought it would end with Howard topping himself, but he was a dead man anyway. I've heard a theory in the "Reflex" scene there's a pointer to where it's going.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So who has tried the trick with the soda can and does it actually work?

MoskvaRed

After a few episodes that tested my patience, that was electrifying. The way in which Patrick Fabian has added depth and pathos to the character has been yet another outstanding acting performance in BCS.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Jimmy is a complete scumbag, and he doesn't deserve a happy ending.
Yeah. Kim herself isn't a great person either, ruining man's life for no reason doesn't tell great things about her, even though the writer wanted to blame it all on her mother, but it's obvious that she is enjoying it.

Saying that, I enjoy watching both of them :lol: