"Blackface" Discussion

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Gucci decided to recall this sweater after backlash.

Blackface or no aside, who the feck would wear this monstrosity.

stevoc

It looks like it would come in handy for an impromptu armed robbery so i imagine it would have been popular with criminals.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Sometimes I get the feeling these fashion brands are trolling us black folk :rolleyes:

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Looks like a jumper/balaclava, presumablly for very cold days. Worn with a hood over the head presumably otherwise it would look weird. Sort of a Lulu Guinness type fashionable thing. (The red lipstick on the lips I mean).

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Tbf it does look a bit dodgy :lol:

I’ve heard a couple of people today mention it and how it’s daft etc, but to me it does conjure up an image of a golliwog. It’s not like it’s an ordinary piece of clothing either, so you couldn’t just play it off. “Oh I was just wearing my turtle neck over my face...”

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This is different to blackface because blackface has only existed with racism at its origin - and like someone said earlier, tension & opposition to blackface has always existed, it just wasn't visible because black people didn't have the power to voice their concerns, whereas now with things like social media these opinions can't be ignored & silenced anymore.
Do you have any evidence that blackface originated in Spain out of racist intentions, however loosely you want to define that? Otherwise your absolute statement "blackface has only existed with racism at its origin" is not only wrong but ignorant. There's already been evidence provided that the cultural context was vastly different to that of the US, yet you keep applying the same contextualisation.

Maybe if you want people to understand you, you should try and understand them. So far all you've done is dismiss their legitimacy through active ignorance.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

It always shocks me that people are willing to spend so much money on these types of brands when they look fecking awful.

The design is terrible though in terms of the connotations and the stupidity for brands to still not vigorously make sure that they aren't playing to them is astounding. There have been so many controversies recently and in the past yet they still think it's okay. Bizarre.

Trizy

Racist or not is a subjective matter that should be based mostly on a case by case basis.
Agreed.

The uproar online for people like Griezmann who dressed up as a black man isn't the same as someone using blackface for pure racism like that case in Virginia.

If the former was racist, so is the entire movie white-chicks. But its not racist because of its context.

In this PC world, imagine someone made a movie Black-chicks and acted all ghetto and sassy (being a small minority of black people over white rich dumb blondes being a small minority of white people)? There would be uproar. Racism is a two way street yet it gets ignored in the media when the shoe is on the other foot I feel.

psychdelicblues

Agreed.

The uproar online for people like Griezmann who dressed up as a black man isn't the same as someone using blackface for pure racism like that case in Virginia.

If the former was racist, so is the entire movie white-chicks. But its not racist because of its context.

In this PC world, imagine someone made a movie Black-chicks and acted all ghetto and sassy (being a small minority of black people over white rich dumb blondes being a small minority of white people)? There would be uproar. Racism is a two way street yet it gets ignored in the media when the shoe is on the other foot I feel.
Nope, racism is heavily weighted one way, historically and presently.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nope, racism is heavily weighted one way, historically and presently.
While this is true, can you really tell someone their feelings don't matter if they are offended? If a white person feels they are being racially abused, is it enough to just tell them they don't have a right to be because history isn't in their favour?

psychdelicblues

While this is true, can you really tell someone their feelings don't matter if they are offended? If a white person feels they are being racially abused, is it enough to just tell them they don't have a right to be because history isn't in their favour?
So we agree on that. The rest of your post is a point I have never made let alone justified.

roseguy64

I figure if Fairfax and the AG weren't having scandals also that they'd be all for getting rid of Northam. But people are choosing his policies over the alternatives.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Do you have any evidence that blackface originated in Spain out of racist intentions, however loosely you want to define that? Otherwise your absolute statement "blackface has only existed with racism at its origin" is not only wrong but ignorant. There's already been evidence provided that the cultural context was vastly different to that of the US, yet you keep applying the same contextualisation.

Maybe if you want people to understand you, you should try and understand them. So far all you've done is dismiss their legitimacy through active ignorance.
I've already said this;

It doesn't really matter, I don't care what Spanish people were doing 400 years ago - i'm simply saying that continuing the tradition by using blackface, rather than either removing the blackface element or using actual black people - is racist, and I think that's fair because you can't claim ignorance at this point.
There's no legitimate reason, in 2019, to continue wearing blackface that doesn't include racism.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I've already said this;

There's no legitimate reason, in 2019, to continue wearing blackface that doesn't include racism.
Yes, he agreed with that. Instead of listening to him you decided to lecture him. He was making a very different, nuanced, thoughtful point, which you didn't even take the time to consider, and instead chose to be dismissive. And now you've been given the opportunity to offer a different take, you ignore it. You might want to question why.

Just to clarify, the question was, do you have any evidence that it originated from racist intentions in Spain? If not, then your explanation for why it is racist, while the KKK-esque outfits are not, falls apart. That doesn't negate your subsequent point, but it's not irrelevant either. If you want to educate people you need to listen and empathise.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do find some of the debate in here misguided... If you want to black up your face, don't be surprised if you get push back, whatever country you come from.

SqueakyWeasel

The Katy Perry Shoe line hysteria is absolutely pathetic and does nothing to halt racism … in fact it continues to drive agendas and a wedge between peoples! She was in a no-win situation …

She (or the designer that offers her a cut to be the "name of her shoes") released a "diversity" line with faces on them (eyes a nose and red lips) –god forbid – in a number of different colours.

The black ones were accused of being "blackface" and therefore racist and were subsequently withdrawn … from the "diversity" range.

NOW : Imagine the outcry if the black ones were never in the "diversity" range to begin with???

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

The context may differ but surely it is all wildly racist no matter what? Intentions aren't strictly relevant.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I would defy anyone to claim that there is nothing in their past that wouldn't be deemed inappropriate in this snowflake time we live in. It's getting past a joke now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Melania's just unfollowed Justin. Or maybe followed him...

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That's not the point I was making. Of course it's not acceptable. I'm not condoning his behaviour at all. I'm just saying that people are showing this outrage of inappropriate things that happened years ago when they probably did similar, if not worse themselves. They just haven't been outed yet.