Board vs Jose

crossy1686

career ending
What turmoil?
Staff leaving, Jose publicly fighting with the board, Jose and the board disagreeing on Martial, Pogba apparently telling the board he wants to leave at the end of the season, a complete lack of transfer funding all of a sudden.

If the board are at a complete disagreement with the manager about the way things should be done moving forward then just sack him, don't have us all go through months of trying to see eye to eye and ending in a shit storm.

Sampy93

Might not be the right thread for this but I’ve been feeling this for a while.

I’m probably wrong but I just get the impression that when we had fergie we had a manager who oversaw EVERYTHING in the club, from academy through to first team (including scouting and planning with his brother) and that the board and glazers just focused on the commercial side. Both playing to their strengths and the board capitalising on the success on the pitch.

However since fergie retired I just sense a disconnect in the board and that we are just run by a business. Every transfer we make seems to be firstly based on commercial resale value, whereas it should be on synergy with the squad and planning for the future.. that’s what United always stood for... making great players, not buying them.

I think the club desperately needed ribalta to take a sporting director role and him work with the manager to identify weaknesses and use the lure of the Club to attain them. Now that United is not the footballing powerhouse it once was it seems harder for the board to get these players without over spending. What we’re seeing is the board seeing the lack of value in overspending and just a general disconnect between what’s right for the “brand” and what’s right for the football club.

Honestly can not see a change in fortune until we sort out the infrastructure of the club. With a extensive scouting network who is independent from the manager, a sporting director to keep tabs on the academy and recruitment. And a manager who’s sole purpose is managing his team to the best of his powers and communicating with the scouting network on what he needs.

I mean look at Galactico Woodward, he just wants bale bale bale.. I reckon Mourinho would have made some more and better signings like Fred if it were just down to him.

Don’t hate me for this post. Just what I think really.

dove

Staff leaving, Jose publicly fighting with the board, Jose and the board disagreeing on Martial, Pogba apparently telling the board he wants to leave at the end of the season, a complete lack of transfer funding all of a sudden.

If the board are at a complete disagreement with the manager about the way things should be done moving forward then just sack him, don't have us all go through months of trying to see eye to eye and ending in a shit storm.
:lol: No white text? What a load of crap based on nothing :lol:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Ribalta has left. Most of the rest of what you just said seems to be supposition at best.

Varun

Staff
When you look at the budget we're operating with it isn't actually that far behind City. The only difference is City have mostly spent very well, and we haven't.
It is big budget. I was referring more to the ability of these clubs to just go out and be crazy in a single summer but yeah, thats also because a Guardiola has targeted young players and got the best out of them seeing these assets rise exponentially in value while Mourinho wants us to go big on 29yr olds

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: No white text? What a load of crap based on nothing :lol:
Ribalta has left. Most of the rest of what you just said seems to be supposition at best.
Are we not in a thread called 'Board v. Jose'? Isn't this where we're supposed to discuss these rumours?

If you saw my previous message to that one you would have seen I said, IF this is the current state of affairs then it's best to sack Jose now and save us all the headache over the season.

haram

It is big budget. I was referring more to the ability of these clubs to just go out and be crazy in a single summer but yeah, thats also because a Guardiola has targeted young players and got the best out of them seeing these assets rise exponentially in value while Mourinho wants us to go big on 29yr olds
It helps when the older players you already have in your squad are Kompany, Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho...

Rednotdead

Right reason or none, I have a feeling that something isn’t quite right.

I’ll wait until the end of the window to see where we are though.

jmaggio

If we don’t win something this year our best players will be considering their futures. I don't think it will happen this summer, but next summer we could lose Martial, Pogba...maybe also Lukaku. It's the unfortunate truth.

Kidders

If the rumoured targets are correct, the likes of Willian and Sandro are high level players. Even if Mourinho is to leave, the next manager is working with top players. It’s not like he is targetting players like Andy Carroll.
He must have sanctioned Fellaini's new contract tough ?

dove

Are we not in a thread called 'Board v. Jose'? Isn't this where we're supposed to discuss these rumours?

If you saw my previous message to that one you would have seen I said, IF this is the current state of affairs then it's best to sack Jose now and save us all the headache over the season.
We can discuss rumours but what's the point of making it sound worse than it is? Staff leaving? Some guy that no one gives a shite about decided to accept a promotion at other club and earn more money, so what? Jose publicly fighting with the board? Have I missed something? Saying something along the lines of "I have no idea how many players will we sign" or "You don't always get what you want" is far from fighting, just usual comments from any manager to put a bit of pressure on the board to deliver.

haram

He must have sanctioned Fellaini's new contract tough ?
That didn’t really cost us much? Fellaini is here for two more years, it’s not like we signed him for 40 million on a 5 year contract.

AndyJ1985

That didn’t really cost us much? Fellaini is here for two more years, it’s not like we signed him for 40 million on a 5 year contract.
By the time he leaves we'll have paid him over £40m on a 7 year contract. Bargain

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Things certainly seem to be less than ideal at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The board has backed him with funds though. It's him that chose to spend big getting another LW in Sanchez in instead of addressing the obvious issue on the other flank. Funnily enough, Mahrez was available at the same time and would have been superb for us. The problem area was so damn obvious that even randomers on the internet thought Sanchez was being signed for the right wing.

They have backed Mourinho but given we aren't a Psg or a City, we have a budget within which we needs to operate. So if you buy a 3rd left winger instead of a first choice right winger, that's on you. You can't come back in the summer saying Hey, I'd like a right winger too now and you know the 35mil I spent on a CB last summer who I barely played? Yeah I want another guy there too. Oh and yes, I also want rid of the Martials and would like to stock up on the Perisics and Willians.

They're probably even questioning the wisdom of giving him big money when he's unable to get anywhere close to the best out of what he already has and that's sensible too. Its not a great scenario to be in as fans but that's how it is and why some have been saying for a while now that he won't be able to take us ahead as a club.
Yes I absolutely agree with that. Our board has backed all the manager's post SAF none of whom have done a great job. Can't blame them for being skeptical. Jose has spent tons of money and he's not got all that much out of the players he has signed.

Varun

Staff
Compared to Rooney, Carrick, Schweinsteiger... I think I’ve made my point.
You made a point, yes but if that's the reason you think City are where they are and we are where we are, good for you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Now this may be a a bit pre mature to say this but something doesn't look right between Woodward and Jose. It won't be wrong to say our transfer window up till now has been bad. And with Jose coming out yesterday and suggesting that he may not get the deals that he wants makes me feel Woody and co. may not be fully backing jose. Now I understand managers dont get everything they ask for but this seems like Conte/Chelsea board situation from last year. It's also strange for the first time Woodward has not said anything about the upcoming season, surely something doesnt look right with him and Jose.

I seriously hope this doesn't have a bad ending and turn out to be Chelsea 15-16 season for us. Like is said this could be a pre mature reaction and we may end up signing some top players but so far it looks like Board has just given up on Jose.
Its well premature to go down such a negative rabbit hole. If the window closes and we don't get any more players, then proceed to start poorly, then there may be something to it. But not before.

haram

You made a point, yes but if that's the reason you think City are where they are and we are where we are, good for you.
It’s not as simple as that, no. I was responding to your original point on signing younger players.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If there is a disagreement I think it boils down to Jose being upset the board is not paying huge fees necessary to sign players with no resale value.
Imo, that falls down on the board again. Why hire that kind of coach in the first place?
Desperation. And lack of vision.

There is a mood of doom and gloom around the club, from the fan base to the players. And it all emanates from the manager. This has to be his last season.

ravi2

Not sure as to whats going on between the board and Jose, but I do wonder about the ambition of the board and if winning the league and/or Champions League are their primary targets.

If they do not have faith in Jose and refuse to back him, they should sack him and find someone they do believe in and lets not go though the motions this season, not wining anything and alienating what few world class players we have left.

Kidders

No. Like I said it was not that expensive to keep him on and he is only here for 2 years.
We will have to agree to disagree on Fellaini mate, there is a time for every player to move on, (we kept Rooney for two years too long), it's not about cost it's about development and squad places.

haram

We will have to agree to disagree on Fellaini mate, there is a time for every player to move on, (we kept Rooney for two years too long), it's not about cost it's about development and squad places.
At the current rate Fellaini would have left and we wouldn’t have even replaced him. Fellaini should be the least of everyones worries.

AshRK

Woodward is incompetent - that’s the only thing to cull from the whole mess. He’s never really backed José. Jose is a successful manager who’s won big things wherever he’s been.

He’s worked with some of the best players the world has had to offer. There’s no way Jose thinks Smalling/Jones are quality or there are training methods that will suddenly make them world class players.

The club makes more than enough money to remove the deadweights and buy quality players Jose wants - if such dream isn’t achieved, the fault lies at the doorstep of Woodward. We are the only rich club in Europe with dud players.
But even then Jose prefers smalling and jones to bailly and lindelof which is a concern. Let us not forget this is the same Jose who has publicly begged Fellaini to sign the contract. Woodward is a strange character but Jose has also made some questionable decisions.

AllezLesDiables

I’m surprised no one is bringing up Jose firing shots at the board via Valencia’s injury.

Jose is calling out the board for being unwilling to sign a RB who is able to step in immediately.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Until this year board and ed were great to our managers. They bought them everything what they wanted. I sometimes have a feeling that our transfer policy last few years was like "run and gun". After disaster with moyes, Ed had (good) idea how to bring back glamour and results to club with buying big names players. But he did that at all cost. Overpayed fees and salaries so now board does not want to sanction another big spending.
I know that we don't know what is happening behind closed door but this year situation with transfers is odd. I am sure that club like united have transfer budget which can be spent and coach knows what that budget is. So if they said to jose; you have 60 mil than ok. I don't mind. But if we have 200mil( for example) than i don't know what is going on here. Coach is the one who decides what players he needs and wants. Not ceo, not board. If jose wants alex sandro or bonucci than board should buy them. Of course that price is always is issue. Giving spurs 60 mil for toby would be stupid like it was stupid to give scweinie biggest contract in club. But to lose player who your coach wants because you don't want to pay 5 mil more for fee or 10k more for wages is stupid on this level. Players valuation is not something for which you can say; " he is worth 7,57 mil".

Also we need dof. Ed can't do everything. In wednesday talk with adidas than in friday talk with juventus , in saturday talk with raiola and in sunday talk with sony. He should leave football things to someone else.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I don't understand why people have a problem with what we have done in the window so far. Bought Fred and Dalot, plus the mighty Lee Grant, and sold Blind and Johnstone for decent fees. What is wrong with that? I am not seeing a lot of options for improving our team beyond that and the window isn't over yet.

The recent comments are more likely reflective of the difficulty getting the players he wants than anything to do with the budget.
I agree with this. We have a full squad even it lacks the ideal structure. Mhki didn't work and Sanchez is a world class player so even if not a position we needed you don't miss a chance to swap a useless player for one very useful.

Anyway all this means is every position we are either stocked or have players in over stocked positions needing another route.

We need to replace players, not add more. And certainly not pay way over the odds for players for a marginal improvement only to sell the person they have replaced for peanuts.

LingiBW

If the 'rift' between Jose and the board becomes untenable, mid season or end of 18/19, what direction does the club take in terms of manager profile?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Until this year board and ed were great to our managers. They bought them everything what they wanted. I sometimes have a feeling that our transfer policy last few years was like "run and gun". After disaster with moyes, Ed had (good) idea how to bring back glamour and results to club with buying big names players. But he did that at all cost. Overpayed fees and salaries so now board does not want to sanction another big spending.
I know that we don't know what is happening behind closed door but this year situation with transfers is odd. I am sure that club like united have transfer budget which can be spent and coach knows what that budget is. So if they said to jose; you have 60 mil than ok. I don't mind. But if we have 200mil( for example) than i don't know what is going on here. Coach is the one who decides what players he needs and wants. Not ceo, not board. If jose wants alex sandro or bonucci than board should buy them. Of course that price is always is issue. Giving spurs 60 mil for toby would be stupid like it was stupid to give scweinie biggest contract in club. But to lose player who your coach wants because you don't want to pay 5 mil more for fee or 10k more for wages is stupid on this level. Players valuation is not something for which you can say; " he is worth 7,57 mil".

Also we need dof. Ed can't do everything. In wednesday talk with adidas than in friday talk with juventus , in saturday talk with raiola and in sunday talk with sony. He should leave football things to someone else.
Even if it was £200m, the board might not be happy with more old signings who have no ongoing value. Older signings just need replacements within a few years and means your squad broadly stays still. You need the right price or right age to balance this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"The board are United in their overwhelming relief that Marouane Fellaini decided to sign a new contract"
Haha. I mean after that particular press conference that was held on the 1st of July and attracted a global audience of 2 billion people.

ti vu

Even if it was £200m, the board might not be happy with more old signings who have no ongoing value. Older signings just need replacements within a few years and means your squad broadly stays still. You need the right price or right age to balance this.
Under Mourinho we have been a good balance between age of signings. We sign enough players in good age, so the other side of balance is needed

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
At that point they should just sack him. We're not achieving anything with this squad and that's the bottom line. If they don't trust Jose to make the right signings, get someone else and see how that works out for us.
Well it's too late for this season anyway. They should have considered all those things before they gave him the extension. That extension and any subsequent pay out from that is the problem I believe. It makes Ed look incompetent - and the Glazers being tight arses wouldn't want to make a pay off and then pay for another new manager at that point.

At this moment, it looks a big mistake.

Revaulx

The point is that United operate with a certain structure. The footballing decisions, including who the club targets, is the manager's department.

If the board has misgivings about the manager's competence, they need to sack him - not second guess his targets. They can – of course – tell him there aren't enough funds, that's different. Or (see Perisic) that they won't bend over for Inter Milan (that's different too).

With José in particular, second guessing him can only have one possible outcome: Woody may as well kick him in the nuts to get the meltdown started sooner (because it will come with 100% certainty anyway).
If this were the case (and I’m sure it was) I wonder why an alternative to Perišić wasn’t bought. Jose tantrum (if you can’t get him, then don’t bother), or the board thinking they’d bought enough players already. If the latter, the kicking in the nuts started last summer.