Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nice one, cheers.

So how has that affected Chelsea then? Are we seeing the last of the massive contracts or are they still going to hand out long contracts anyway?
I'm not going to pretend to know. I guess we'll see!

Over 5 year contracts obviously aren't a new thing though and were given way before FFP was a thing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With all their spending, they probably still have a billion plus spare instead if they bought United from Glazers.

philippexyz

Boehly(Clearlake Capital) hasn't actually paid anything for acquisition of Chelsea. They struck a deal with British government(who took the club from sanctioned Abramovich) to get it for free. Then invest an absolutely ridiculous sum of money in order to create a super club in London to compete with City, Newcastle, Liverpool and United(using the money he supposedly paid to acquire Chelsea, but he uses it by investing it in the club). Supposed £2.5b donation to Ukraine is suspicious(price of Chelsea). Arsenal and Tottenham aren't/weren't at that level in terms of finance/prestige.

Grow the club's value in 10-15 years close to £10b, sell it and return some percentage of the money to British government. Everyone's happy. British government gets a super club nextdoor in London(similar to PSG in Paris - basically a domestic state project), Boehly(Clearlake) turns a profit.

Fun conspiracy theory. Chelsea's spending is absolutely out of normal proportions(even for oil clubs) and i'm having fun trying to rationalize it somehow.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
With all their spending, they probably still have a billion plus spare instead if they bought United from Glazers.
From the outside it doesn't look like The Glazers have the remotest intention of selling.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They’ve spent so much I’ve lost track of who they’ve signed over the last two years. Only issue is that they’ve spent that much their attack still looks undercooked. They need this Jackson fellow to work.

Dr. StrangeHate

I thought it wasn't possible but are they now the most expensive team on the planet, even more expensive than the the state owned clubs.

Levi1

They’ve spent so much I’ve lost track of who they’ve signed over the last two years. Only issue is that they’ve spent that much their attack still looks undercooked. They need this Jackson fellow to work.
Easily fixed. Expect Boehly to submit a 100m bid for Lukaku

bringbackbebe

Easily fixed. Expect Boehly to submit a 100m bid for Lukaku
It'll be difficult for Lukaku to leave Chelsea this season since he's basically pissed off all his potential buyers. Even Saudi clubs don't seem to be interested.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it’s scandalous that a team that would have spent £900m(after Caicedo and Lavia) in 12 months are not under any pressure to compete for the title.
Don’t even get me started on the transparency of the FFP status.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’s scandalous that a team that would have spent £900m(after Caicedo and Lavia) in 12 months are not under any pressure to compete for the title.
Don’t even get me started on the transparency of the FFP status.
We will compete for titles I have no doubt about that.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea is showing us what those 115 charges for City actually mean. Root square of FA.

Steve 007

Boehly made Liverpool his bitch. Man is a legend.

Liverpool now scared to be linked to any future Chelsea target :drool:
Chelsea spending has to dry up. FFP is coming for them. I predict Newcastle, Arsenal, Utd, City (not In that order) to take CL places. They have 8 years of ridiculous wages coming up and 5 years where they’ve already spent all their money in FFP terms.

IrishRedDevil

Chelsea spending has to dry up. FFP is coming for them. I predict Newcastle, Arsenal, Utd, City (not In that order) to take CL places. They have 8 years of ridiculous wages coming up and 5 years where they’ve already spent all their money in FFP terms.
I reckon Newcastle will struggle with CL games and Chelsea will push them hard for 4th.

cyberman

They’re not in Europe so that doesn’t apply

Steve 007

There is financial rules in the PL and if Chelsea don’t get in Europe for next season then they’ve had a terrible season.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It'll be difficult for Lukaku to leave Chelsea this season since he's basically pissed off all his potential buyers. Even Saudi clubs don't seem to be interested.
The Saudi club Al-Hilal have been interested in Lukaku all summer but he's so far refused to entertain the idea of going there. It's been said the offer still remains on the table but Lukaku's preference is to stay in Europe.

If a move to Juve or some other European club doesn't materialize over the next couple of weeks I still feel he'll end up accepting the Saudi offer rather than choosing not to play football at all. The Saudi transfer window runs till late September so there's plenty of time to work out a deal with them if there's no takers for him in Europe.

Of course his contract entitles him to pick up his full pay check for doing feck all if he still snubs the Saudis but somehow I doubt he'd want to flush the remainder of his career down the toilet by not playing so if it's a question of training with the reserves at Chelsea for £300K/wk or going to the Saudi League for even higher wages and getting to play football I would assume he'd pick the latter. There's also the Euro 2024 to consider and he definitely won't be called up by Belgium if he doesn't play all season.

Steve 007

Their net spend is stillmodest given the dubious Saudi transfer spree.
The Saudi league with the Neymar deal have spent just over $500 million between them. Chelsea if they get get Lavia will have spent close to £900 million. Granted they’ve made sone sales but not close to FFP.

Steve 007

If anyone wants to know how they are avoiding FFP pop over to talksports Facebook.
Simon Jordan explains it brilliantly.

tomaldinho1

The Saudi league with the Neymar deal have spent just over $500 million between them. Chelsea if they get get Lavia will have spent close to £900 million. Granted they’ve made sone sales but not close to FFP.
Not sure why this is part of the reply? I'm saying their (Chelsea's) net spend isn't actually that high. You will have to give some time frames for the £900m given how FFP works

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
On a scale of 1 - 10 how screwed will Chelsea be if Poch fails to get these firing or how long to get them firing will he be given? Cant see Chelsea keeping this spend up, they have something like the 4th highest revenue in the league so they must be burning through some reserves right now and theyre not backed like some other teams or like how their former owner backed them. Then balancing all this for ffp requires they hit some bar of success apparently, not that ffp seems to count for much. All in all seems like quite the hail mary by Boehly, at any other time i would said no problem but right now top 4 is not a cake walk.

Baxquux

Loathe to quote Simon Jordan in general (though maybe the cancer thing has softened my stance a bit anyway) and Talksport , but he seemingly explains the jist of it pretty well here ...

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
Cheers @Baxquux that explained some, still seems to be quite the balancing act they are pulling, be interesting to see how it all works out.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Loathe to quote Simon Jordan in general (though maybe the cancer thing has softened my stance a bit anyway) and Talksport , but he seemingly explains the jist of it pretty well here ...
I don't often I agree with him but I find him refreshing tbh. Far too many pundits just stick in or around the general party lines whereas he's one of the very few that expressed his own unique views.