Boeing 737 loses contact during flight in Indonesia

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is this a Max 8?

I'm a regular flyer and have never got nervous on a plane before but even I'm shit scared of those.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
So is it not the 737 that there have been several other incidences with?

Indonesia. That's more relevant than the 737-500 involved here.

Sanchez7

From the article, this isn't the problemetic MAX. AFAIK the 737 is a fairly reliable aircaft. Hope the data is wrong but losing 10,000 feet in a minute sounds pretty bad.

GloryHunter07

Remind me never to fly with a rando regional airline. Or near a war zone, or near Iran.

Sylar

Horrible :(

I'm still confused how with so much radar and technology this can happen

Are there known blind spots that cause this?

pablo__p

Remind me never to fly with a rando regional airline. Or near a war zone, or near Iran.

Well, I've been flying regional airlines in Vietnam, Thailand & Indonesia (just a few times each, as a tourist) and was hugely shocked by brand new aircrafts they'd use.

I fly Lufthansa quite a lot here in Europe and I'd rather Vietjet based on what I've seen (again, small sample).

Nickosaur

I'm scared of a lot of things. But going down in a plane crash is my worst nightmare.

The Firestarter

Horrible :(

I'm still confused how with so much radar and technology this can happen

Are there known blind spots that cause this?
Of course there are blind spots, you know the earth is round and radar requires straight line of sight (unless OTH but that has completely different uses ), and you cant really make a radar stations every 100 square miles.

Phil

They have huge corruption and lack of standards, and a resulting horrible safety record. Arguably the worst in the world.
Thanks for the explanation, I'll have a read. Plan on doing a fair bit of SE Asia travel one day including Indonesia.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rest assured. Flying is orders of magnitude safer than any other form of transport.
I think everyone knows that. It’s more that if it did happen it would be one of the most terrifying ways to die.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think everyone knows that. It’s more that if it did happen it would be one of the most terrifying ways to die.
Sorry for being over simplistic. And yes, I do agree with you about that.
By worst fear would be being on fire. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Foxbatt

This is a 27 year old aircraft. But they all fly because
1. The manufacturer has certified it.
2. The Indonesian Civil Aviation Authority approved it.
Every country has problems. Even the USA and FAA.
But only a very major issue or a pilot error would crash an aircraft. This is because everything is duplicated.
But faulty inspection and hence faulty paperwork could be involved too. If they find the digital flight data recorder obviously they can find what happened.
Indonesia does have a bad safety record. Indonesia Civil Aviation Authority is going to be under the spotlight.
The smaller Asian countries have a good safety record because most of them follow the European Aviation Safety Agency and get their expertise.

Skills

Snitch
From the article, this isn't the problemetic MAX. AFAIK the 737 is a fairly reliable aircaft. Hope the data is wrong but losing 10,000 feet in a minute sounds pretty bad.
Arguably the most reliable aircraft (and engine combination) ever built.

SinNombre

They have huge corruption and lack of standards, and a resulting horrible safety record. Arguably the worst in the world.
Definitely the worst in the world.

And some of the most volatile weather conditions.

And some extremely old planes flown by the smaller carriers.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hasn’t Garuda Indonesia been one of the top 10 airlines in the world for the last few years?

Foxbatt

Hasn’t Garuda Indonesia been one of the top 10 airlines in the world for the last few years?
What happens is that international airlines like Garuda etc get audited by Aviation Agencies like European Aviation Safety Agency or the FAA because otherwise they won't be able to operate into EU or USA. The smaller airlines who don't fly don't get audited. So Garuda has to maintain the very high standards while the smaller ones may get away with it.
But it doesn't mean they are guilty of anything right now because we don't know what caused the crash. They may have an impeccable record.

Foxbatt

I mean, it's literally said in the article that this isn't the MAX. Or do other 737 model have the same problem?
No they don't as there is no issues with the design and certification of the earlier models.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What happens is that international airlines like Garuda etc get audited by Aviation Agencies like European Aviation Safety Agency or the FAA because otherwise they won't be able to operate into EU or USA. The smaller airlines who don't fly don't get audited. So Garuda has to maintain the very high standards while the smaller ones may get away with it.
But it doesn't mean they are guilty of anything right now because we don't know what caused the crash. They may have an impeccable record.
Ah thanks, makes sense. Only been with them and Lion Air after having a quick look, always impeccable flights.

Foxbatt

Ah thanks, makes sense. Only been with them and Lion Air after having a quick look, always impeccable flights.
The smaller issues are what worries me. Airlines that have larger fleets have to have a bigger number of maintenance crew. It's the smaller ones with smaller maintenance crew and less pay would be the problematic ones. A lot of these would be maintenance issues. Not operational. Unless there is an absolute cockup of everything it's almost impossible to crash these things. At the end it's mostly a pilot error that is the final cause. Even with the Max though it was a design fault the actions of the pilots was what caused it to crash eventually. Yes the pilots thought they were doing the right thing and rightly so.
It's going to be interesting to find out what caused it to crash. Obviously Boeing is going to be involved in the investigation and led by the Indonesian Civil Aviation Authority.

Foxbatt

It does seem there are a high number of crashes around that part of the globe.
Corruption also do play a part. When Thailand got blacklisted by ICAO ( meaning they failed a safety audit), they discovered that some of the very smaller airlines had got their operating licenses under fraudulent means. Staff were there in name only and the actual operations were conducted by a different set of staff. All those were immediately cancelled and the head of the aviation department was removed.
These don't happen in majority of the countries. EU is helping a lot of countries in Asia who are willing to be helped. If they follow the European rules, they come and do the audits and help to upgrade the standards.
The major issue is there is no one set of standards. There is a minimum standard by ICAO and then various big countries have their own standards which can be used for political purposes. The EU one seems to be the least political.