g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Booing during national anthems...

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I am not, I said that because the poster in question had described Wales as shite (admittedly talking about the Welsh football team and not the country which I didn't know at the time), that's why I asked him the question, not because I think England is shite.

If you check my post history I've always been positive about England as a country (and a team for that matter)
I'm not a fan of booing anthems, but I don't think that's something unique to England, I mentioned it in another thread but Wales actually booed England's anthem years ago and didn't like it (though Beckham did say it encouraged them to win more than ever so swings and roundabouts)
I'm confused, he said the Welsh football team was shite, so you hypothesized about calling England shite, so I hypothesized about you calling Kenya a shithole country, referencing trump calling Kenya a shithole country, but you actually like England and the England football team and you don't like the Welsh booing the British national anthem, which, with them being part of Britain, is their own national anthem anyway. So to cut a long story short, you're defending the British anthem by being racist, hypothetically?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm confused, he said the Welsh football team was shite, so you hypothesized about calling England shite, so I hypothesized about you calling Kenya a shithole country, referencing trump calling Kenya a shithole country, but you actually like England and the England football team and you don't like the Welsh booing the British national anthem, which, with them being part of Britain, is their own national anthem anyway. So to cut a long story short, you're defending the British anthem by being racist, hypothetically?
I'm down to the last drops of this bottle of vodka and I've reread it three times and I think you've won. God save the queen should be replaced by Tom Jones though

Haha I am. Albeit technically half Welsh, but I try and forget about that (no offence Cascarino).
My mother's side is English and they're the reason I have hair, so while I might argue with your lot during international tournaments, I can never take offence for long

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
For the 99% of the people in the world who dont have to run every single comment, action or happening past a sexist/homophobic/racist/xenophobe/insert here checker booing a national anthem is just something you do to get on your oponents backs from before the first whistle.

If you dont get this simply feck off and take up knitting or something, football isnt for you.

Stop trying to turn the world into your ridiculous never going to happen fantasy utopia
not being disrespectful towards fellow european countries = utopia? Those are low standards for a utopia

It's the double standards that go with it all too. Can you imagine going in the Bundesliga thread and attacking our German posters for the atrocities committed under Hitler.
To be fair it’s not uncommon to imply it rather than say it directly. It‘s definitely annoying. I think for most people it‘s a difference though because Germany is kind of known for not being shy about admitting guilt and a living culture of rememberance.

Interesting. If you called Kenya a shithole country, would you be racist?
I think not, but it would‘t be surprising if the person was racist, as this wording is known to be used by racists. But by my understanding of racism, this isn‘t, because I don‘t see an actual racial/biological connection. Context matters.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Italian players weirdly boo their own anthen. At least that's what it sounds like.

I agree with the OP. It's a dumb old song. Who cares. The queen doesnt need saving she's 1500 years old, she survived, you did it.

I personally dont boo anthems, since booing a dumb old song seems even sillier than caring about it but eh.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sat night....2300 the religion sets alarm for 0900 next morning - he must find a post, any post, to reply to in the "are the English in fact Nazis" thread.
0909 the religion does find a post to reply to, but his reply is more than disappointing. Why did he bother?

Back to bed with you the religion.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I'm down to the last drops of this bottle of vodka and I've reread it three times and I think you've won. God save the queen should be replaced by Tom Jones though
Yes, I won I won! Mummy, the nice man on the computer said that I won!

What did I win?

God Save Tom Jones as a national anthem?! Bloody booby prize.

TheReligion

Abusive
You are indicating that Italian fans booing justifies that English do the same. I think it shows low class whereas you clearly dont. Thats fine with me.
I've not said its acceptable. Far from it. Please don't make things up.

My issue is with the likes of you failing to acknowledge it's not just an England fan thing by making comments like "it's what I expected" or " it doesn't surprise me" etc.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Why exactly is it "disrespectful" and "classless" to boo a song?

A bit childish perhaps, but then again it's 80.000 grown men and women going nuts over some guys kicking a ball around.

If you're offended by something so incredibly harmless, you should really switch to watching golf or tennis.

JadoreSox

Complaining football fans have behaved 'classless' is a completely redundant complaint. It has never been a prerequisite in the game and only ever comes up when a bunch of outsiders who have no understanding of the game jump onto the bandwagon. Coincidentally it's largely been driven by BBCs and ITVs diversity hires.

Mike Smalling

I think it's classless. For many players getting to represent their nation at a major tournament is a very rare occurrence that may not happen again for them, so booing the moment is a bit low grade. It's just one of those things, where I think a bit of respect is in order.

That being said, it is definitely not something to get all that worked up about, and certainly among the least important issues in terms of fan culture.

Irwin99

Posted for the video, couldn't give a shit about the message tbh.

Just curious but when did hooliganism enter football fan culture? I've read before that the reaction by the Germans (even to the controversial goal) has been very cool and it just seems a million miles off what football has been (and still is) now.

Classical Mechanic

Complaining football fans have behaved 'classless' is a completely redundant complaint. It has never been a prerequisite in the game and only ever comes up when a bunch of outsiders who have no understanding of the game jump onto the bandwagon. Coincidentally it's largely been driven by BBCs and ITVs diversity hires.
That's one hell of a hot take! I'm trying to imagine one thing is related to the other but I just can't piece it together.

Classical Mechanic

Just curious but when did hooliganism enter football fan culture? I've read before that the reaction by the Germans (even to the controversial goal) has been very cool and it just seems a million miles off what football has been (and still is) now.
In the 70s and 80s I guess. Interestingly the term 'ultra' comes from the film adaptation of A Clockwork Orange where the protagonist Alex refers to his violent escapades for pleasure as 'ultraviolence'. The film was released in 1971. It's a great novel and worth looking into the subtext of it as it isn't really about what the early hooligans derived from it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
My issue is with the likes of you failing to acknowledge it's not just an England fan thing by making comments like "it's what I expected" or " it doesn't surprise me" etc.
One doesn't cancel another. It is to be expected from English fans but it's not only an English thing.

I expect snow in Engelberg in the winter, does it mean it's the only snowy place in the world?

Halftrack

Can certainly understand the English being apathetic for national anthems, given how shite theirs is. Not in melody, but in message. As Eddie Izzard said:
But in Britain we don't win many gold medals at the Olympics… because we've chosen not to! It's a political statement! Because we hate our national anthem. Because it's “God Save the Queen,” you see? “God Save the Queen.” Now the Queen lives in a very big house, she has barbed wire outside, and people with guns in front of that. That's one saved fecking queen, I'll tell you! That's the problem! She's overly saved! She has no idea of the struggle of human existence. We have to work for a living, raise a family… we don't have nannies all running around the place. It's what you've got to do in your life, you know? So it's "God Save the Queen." No! It's too saved. It's "God Attack the Queen," that's what it should be! ( singing ) "God attack the Queen, send big dogs after her that bite her bum. Let them chase after her and rip her knickers off..." That'd be fantastic! Then she'd have to fight the crazy dog with a handbag with a brick inside of it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why exactly is it "disrespectful" and "classless" to boo a song?

A bit childish perhaps, but then again it's 80.000 grown men and women going nuts over some guys kicking a ball around.

If you're offended by something so incredibly harmless, you should really switch to watching golf or tennis.
It's what those song represents.

It's more than just a song.

JadoreSox

Can certainly understand the English being apathetic for national anthems, given how shite theirs is. Not in melody, but in message. As Eddie Izzard said:
I get it's a bit but it's not really accurate is it? We well overperform when it comes to Olympic gold medals.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
wtf man :lol:
How do you work that one out?

kopviolator

I've not said its acceptable. Far from it. Please don't make things up.

The likes of me ? I havent failed to acknowledge anything. These sort of things seem to me to follow large crowds and England has that always. Anyway, I dont care about your issues with the likes of me. Having said that I shouldve kept my mouth shut. Enjoy the rest of your evening.