Bouhafsi: Rashford to get a new contract with €1.7 million per season

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The correct way to go. We gave Januzaj close to £50k per week after similar impact. To be fair in that case, PSG were desperate to sign him.

Devil may care

Who is this twitter guy? He seems to have had his hooter in everything the last couple of weeks.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The correct way to go. We gave Januzaj close to £50k per week after similar impact. To be fair in that case, PSG were desperate to sign him.
Yeah, that turned out well.

kundalini

That's nothing when Memphis gets £5m + bonuses this season (£4m + bonuses if not in CL next season). Rashford is quite clearly a superior player to Memphis. Though I imagine the fact that PSG and Liverpool were both after Memphis, will have had a big impact on his salary.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Rashford's impact has been more impressive in my opinion. He's done it in very big games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It really sinks in just how much they earn when a teenager is earning more in a week than I do in an entire year.

It's not even like they consciously dedicate themselves to the craft and hone it for years like a musician might. They're just good at football and didn't feck it up.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
It really sinks in just how much they earn when a teenager is earning more in a week than I do in an entire year.

It's not even like they consciously dedicate themselves to the craft and hone it for years like a musician might. They're just good at football and didn't feck it up.
That's not true

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Does anyone else find it strange that the journalist is increasingly becoming part of the story? It makes sense to a degree in business/political/social journalism when it involves a great deal of personal insight and individual commentary, but it seems weird that it's taking hold in sports journalism. Must be social media-driven.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That isn't true at all. You aren't just born a Premier League footballer.
That's not true
I'm not saying they don't get better with practice, but a kid who is naturally good at football (which is a obviously a thing if you've ever played football as a kid) progressively improving playing for various teams isn't the same as how a musician (as an example) might constantly strive to improve and dedicate themselves. Most of these kids just go through the motions until it either happens or doesn't.

Two of my friends are friends with professional footballers and have said as much. One is Johnny Herd, who I don't think is pro any more, and the other is Phil Jones, who I'm also not sure plays professionally any more.

Maybe not the best examples, but most professional players aren't world class.

Silverman

Rashford strikes me as a lad that is proud to play for United and I can't see massive money making him work any less. However, it's still important that he isn't given too much.

Skills

Snitch

:lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Care to elaborate or just be an arse? Tell me how a 10-16 year old kid playing football dedicates themselves to improving so much. Other than just turning up to training and matches and doing what they're told.

Someone

Something
He deserves it, and if he keeps improving he'll be looking at a better contract next year.

John_K

Youth Team Player
Care to elaborate or just be an arse? Tell me how a 10-16 year old kid playing football dedicates themselves to improving so much. Other than just turning up to training and matches and doing what they're told.
Don't agree with that at all. There are plenty of kids who are serious about playing football.
Kids who go to sports schools and train while at school, then turn up to training with their teams after school. That's two sessions a day, not to mention kids who even do their own training (juggling etc), stretching, and strengthening exercises on top of that. You don't do those things on your own unless you are dedicated.

Kids who put that much effort in, to say to them they are not dedicated would be disrespectful to the amount of dedication they put in. Just as disrespectful as it would be for me to say about a musician who dedicates themselves to improving that they are just "turning up and playing some instrument and getting better"

The examples you used are probably exceptions to the rule, it's not to say that every premier league footballer just becomes one because they kept turning up to training.

Riz

Don't agree with that. Ok natural talent does arguably play a bigger role but to suggest they don't dedicate themselves to it is nonsense. Practicing and training come rain or shine and improving your ability through drills, gym work, video analysis is dedication. Your point only applies to the small minority who make it more or less on talent alone i.e. Ravel Morrison or Balotelli.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

Many will laugh, but I definitely agree.

Skills

Snitch
You can't be serious?

I went to a school sponsored by a PL club, and most of their academy/youth products were also at the same school. They had their own timetables to train multiple times during the week missing classes, then extra classes after school to make up for the shit they're having to miss due to spending hours training. Extra gym hours almost every single day to keep them fit. From about the age of 12 getting progressively more intense as they go through the years.

A lot of clubs don't have those facilities, so a lot of these guys spend hours after school getting to their clubs training facilities and then training there. On top of that they have to play for a lot of local teams, school teams, in national competitions so they're noticed by scouts and called up for the FAs programs. Then if they get national call ups, their workload is even higher.

They're basically giving up any chance of doing anything to a good level outside of football, for a small hope of becoming a top level pro.

If anyone here dedicated as much time to their trade from about the age of 10-12, I doubt they'd be wasting their time on the caf.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm not saying they don't get better with practice, but a kid who is naturally good at football (which is a obviously a thing if you've ever played football as a kid) progressively improving playing for various teams isn't the same as how a musician (as an example) might constantly strive to improve and dedicate themselves. Most of these kids just go through the motions until it either happens or doesn't.

Two of my friends are friends with professional footballers and have said as much. One is Johnny Herd, who I don't think is pro any more, and the other is Phil Jones, who I'm also not sure plays professionally any more.

Maybe not the best examples, but most professional players aren't world class.
I'm starting to doubt you ever played football as a kid, definitely not at a decent level anyway. People are naturally good at music as well, my granddad could play the banjo and harmonica with no lessons and no studying of sheet music, he could just play completely by ear, way more naturally gifted than I am. They both constantly strive to improve and dedicate themselves, so footballers just turn up to training and do what they are told? Musicians just show up to lessons and do what they are told and then practice, the exact same as footballers. I can say musicians just go through the motions too, most musicians aren't world class either. What does that have to do with anything.

I have a friend who is the highest grade in piano, has an undergraduate degree in performance piano and is now doing a masters in piano collaboration. He was naturally gifted, he went to his lessons and did what he was told and then practiced every day. Sounds very similar to the multiple professional footballers I also know. I've played with and know the likes of Atiba Hutchinson, Jonathan Osorio, Cyle Larin, Keven Aleman, Quillan Roberts and more. There was no going through the motions with them. They spent hours everyday working on their game. Some spent hours a day just striking the ball to hone their technique, some spent hours daily juggling and improving their ball control. They go to the gym daily to strengthen up, they have to maintain exceptional cardio levels. So no, I am certainly not going to agree that footballers are just born talented and go through the motions.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not bad. I recalled Solanke from Chelsea asking for almost triple times that amount :lol:.

Nevertheless, some of these young footballers make so much money nowadays. Hopefully, this new contact will not drive away his enthusiasm for the game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can't be serious?

I went to a school sponsored by a PL club, and most of their academy/youth products were also at the same school. They had their own timetables to train multiple times during the week missing classes, then extra classes after school to make up for the shit they're having to miss due to spending hours training. Extra gym hours almost every single day to keep them fit. From about the age of 12 getting progressively more intense as they go through the years.

A lot of clubs don't have those facilities, so a lot of these guys spend hours after school getting to their clubs training facilities and then training there. On top of that they have to play for a lot of local teams, school teams, in national competitions so they're noticed by scouts and called up for the FAs programs. Then if they get national call ups, their workload is even higher.

They're basically giving up any chance of doing anything to a good level outside of football, for a small hope of becoming a top level pro.

If anyone here dedicated as much time to their trade from about the age of 10-12, I doubt they'd be wasting their time on the caf.
Most don't go to a school sponsored by a PL club though do they? They go to a regular school and likely get snapped up by a decent youth team if they're good enough. Then they turn up and do their thing a few times a week. I'm not saying they don't put a reasonable amount of time in, but I think a lot just fall into it because they're pretty good, then roll with it. Rather than striving for success and consciously training specifically. That's how it seems to be from what I've seen and heard about professional footballers. Herd (who again, isn't the best example as he's lower level pro) apparently just used to play in the high school team like anyone else, until he went to a trial one day. Most will play for a club's youth team and turn up and train/play games as they're told until it's obvious whether they're good enough or not. I believe real dedication comes into play at a later age when people can make a proper decision about things.

krazyrobus

Most don't go to a school sponsored by a PL club though do they? They go to a regular school and likely get snapped up by a decent youth team if they're good enough. Then they turn up and do their thing a few times a week. I'm not saying they don't put a reasonable amount of time in, but I think a lot just fall into it because they're pretty good, then roll with it. Rather than striving for success and consciously training specifically. That's how it seems to be from what I've seen and heard about professional footballers. Herd (who again, isn't the best example as he's lower level pro) apparently just used to play in the high school team like anyone else, until he went to a trial one day. Most will play for a club's youth team and turn up and train/play games as they're told until it's obvious whether they're good enough or not. I believe real dedication comes into play at a later age when people can make a proper decision about things.
You need to practice anything for about 10 000 hours to be a world class professional in it. If you work that out, it's training 4 hours a day for about 7 years which is about standard at La Masia as they feed and house the kid there. If you think that kids just fall into PL football rather than working their ass off then you are ignoring other factors such as there being literally 10's of millions of people wanting to replace you in a heartbeat just like in any other high powered well paying profession. And that's just to become a professional, then you need a psychotic like drive if you want to be truly the best and put in even more hours. No one is ever born with such natural talent, all those skills are honed, in any professional environment be it business or sport.