Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

JuriM

Workers went there by choice in their thousands. So obviously better off than their than their home countries. Not excusing any of the alleged offences however there was no compulsion for them to go and continue to go, in their thousands.

Cries about respecting culture isn't nonsense, but crack on.
Yes and it's horrible, at what conditions they were, but it's been a major issue all in the region - UAE, Bahrein, Saudi Arabia etc. Somewhat Qatar exploitation weren't anything obscene or new, don't forget that.

Bert_

Everyone crying about this world cup should simply boycott it. Hypocrisy at its best. Every country has its own custom and traditions and the West should not impose its belief and rules on others.
So no one should criticise any country ever again?

Maybe they shouldn't have bid for an international tournament if they wanted to avoid scrutiny.

ElBarto

More great PR for the country!!
No axes to grind, just giving my take on it.
It's not a perfect place or bid but where is this Eutopia that the moral pontificating is coming from?

As for "PR" I stand by that comment. It's their land and laws so if you go there and don't respect their customs/laws and get slapped up for your troubles boo hoo.

They've recruited the Turkish military amongst others and we all know how they roll...

... Similar to the people who think it's a good idea to smuggle drugs in Thailand etc then get hit with "harsh sentences", if you're foolish enough to do the crime then do the time...

But less of that stuff, let's hope it's a great tournament with great football and no dramas.

68cob

I'm against it, but it's happening. I wont go out of my way to watch any of the matches and those I do will be on the beeb iplayer, so no or little commercial impact on me and it's paid for by the licence. I'm sure I will be as bored with it after the first few games as I usually am.

MattofManchester

Workers went there by choice in their thousands. So obviously better off than their than their home countries. Not excusing any of the alleged offences however there was no compulsion for them to go and continue to go, in their thousands.

Ah, yes, I'm sure every worker went there with the knowledge that they would be abused or subject to inhuman treatment. I'm sure they looked forward to this with wide eyes and gusto! In your eyes, they deserved it, no?

And yes, the idea of respect is nonsense.
You want people to "respect" a culture of essential discrimination and disrespect.

You want people to "respect" the LGBTQ+ community denouncing a part of their identity, and ignoring their right to human dignity.

Chief123

I'm against it, but it's happening. I wont go out of my way to watch any of the matches and those I do will be on the beeb iplayer, so no or little commercial impact on me and it's paid for by the licence. I'm sure I will be as bored with it after the first few games as I usually am.
You’re boycotting watching the World Cup due to wrongs committed by Qatar. That’s your choice and prerogative .

Will you also be boycotting watching the Premier League for the wrongs committed by our country too?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Wow.

Shai-Hulud

Scummy post.

Spoony

The People's President

Except they're not better off hence why they have their passports taken off them.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

You seem like a horrible person

Giggsyking

The problem is not him walking out, the problem he is being questioned by an Israeli channel about human rights,

Ohhh the hypocrisy :lol:

oneway

This what the Qataris are paying him £150m for? Seems a lot of dough for the odd comment no one will believe.
Wow that`s great money I'm sure not many people would turn that down. Like our government and the UK benefits £40 billion investment and 30% gas import, owning the Shard, Harrods The Savoy etc money talks. I guess we all benefit directly or indirectly.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Can mods ban people for takes this bad?

Really, really, really dense post bordering on evil.

The Firestarter

Amazing, how low will this thread get..

Pintu

The problem is not him walking out, the problem he is being questioned by an Israeli channel about human rights,

The Israeli anchor mentioned Dua Lipa boycotting Qatar. Does he ignore that she was trashed and vilified for taking a similar stance against Israel?

She was top of the list of “antisemites of the year” according to Apartheid propaganda twittos.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So, the other day I bought a box of clothes pegs made in china, can I still not watch this WC or am I already a massive hypocrite so I might as well watch some matches? I need rules, I'm a bit lost.

Mike Smalling

The Israeli anchor mentioned Dua Lipa boycotting Qatar. Does he ignore that she was trashed and vilified for taking a similar stance against Israel?

She was top of the list of “antisemites of the year” according to Apartheid propaganda twittos.

That's quite a trio.

frostbite

Read this article please.

“This is a World Cup built on modern slavery.”

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/artic...race-17593056.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

Qatar's World Cup is an unparalleled disgrace

[...]

An estimated 2.9 million people live in Qatar. Only 380,000, or 13%, are Qatari citizens. Qatar’s citizenry is exceptionally wealthy, thanks to the country’s state-owned natural gas company and the rest of the world’s reliance on that natural gas. Qatar emits more carbon dioxide per capita than any other country on the planet.

Most everyone else in Qatar — the vast majority of the population — is desperately poor, forced to work, left to suffer. Many are South Asian migrant workers from Nepal, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan. They come to Qatar in an attempt to make a little bit of money for their families back home, even though they know going in that the odds are stacked against them from the get-go. They often have to take out loans for exorbitant, illegal recruitment fees (bribes, really) just to pay their way to Qatar for work. If they die in Qatar, their families are burdened with their debt. Rolling Stone reported on one such case, in which a starving Nepalese widow named Manju Devi says she got on her hands and knees and begged loan sharks to forgive her family’s $10,000 debt after her husband died in Qatar of a heart attack, a common occurrence due to the excessive work in the excessive heat.

[...]

The exact body count of Qatar’s World Cup construction is hard to know. Qatar fudges the numbers by excluding heart attacks and other serious afflictions. (For example, the heart attack of Devi’s late husband was categorized by Qatar as “nonwork related,” which also meant no compensation for Devi’s family.) In 2021, the Guardian gave its best estimate of the carnage: 6,500 migrant deaths over 10 years, a number that the publication itself called a conservative undercount.

[...]

FIFA deflects away from it, and Fox may ignore it entirely, but Qatar’s treatment of slaves is the story. It's the only thing that even remotely matters. The 2022 World Cup is diabolical, unconscionable, truly evil. It's irredeemable, from start to finish, no matter what happens next.

Cloud7

So, the other day I bought a box of clothes pegs made in china, can I still not watch this WC or am I already a massive hypocrite so I might as well watch some matches? I need rules, I'm a bit lost.
Massive hypocrite. Only if you (or your family or ancestors) have never done anything, and you live in a place that has never done anything, then you can not watch the WC. Otherwise you are morally obligated to watch, because hypocrisy or something.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Have you tried telling this the families of the dead? Im sure such advancement of thought process would enlighten thousands of victims worldwide. Quality post.

SmallCaine

Says the man excusing the said offenses, also show me where exactly those dead workers agreed to dying while working in Qatar.

You sound like those twitter maggots who reply should have just complied with the order to every police brutality video.

Ladron de redcafe

Yup. Laughable.

Mas Risky

I'm not going to defend this WC, but I will still watch it through legal means. From football perspective, this WC is very fascinating because we will witness the last act of several great players in the biggest stage of football. Sorry, I can't miss it.

JustAGuest

One of the worst takes on this website. I sincerely hope you are getting paid in some way for this. :lol:

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Death of workers is deplorable, no one supports this. But to the boycotters please don’t just spray outrage into the atmosphere, put action behind it. Don’t watch the World Cup. Don’t visit Qatar or take your family on holiday to the UAE, no getaways to Dubai. Stand your ground and be firm in your outrage.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Many workers will not necessarily have gone there by informed choice. They will have been sold lies by agents within their countries of what the situation is like there, often have to pay large amounts of money to these agents and then find themselves in Qatar (or Saudi/UAE etc) with a job not as described and with their passport confiscated, which kind of removes the choice aspect to some extent no?

Of course that isn't necessarily the case for many of these workers and for these many, as grim a life as it is, they still earn more money there than they would back home and the remittances they send home are vital for both their families and indeed often for their country's economy too.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Workers went there by choice in their thousands. So obviously better off than their than their home countries.
That's just obviously not true, it's such a terrible argument and disputable on multiple levels. Many working opportunites fail to work out even when slavery is not involved. The words regret, missold, desperation, exist, and can explain how many people seeking work end up in negative situations. There is even the idiom The grass isn't always greener... that could explain misplaced assumptions about the conditions in Qatar. The application of choice (or the illusion of such) is not synonymous with favourable outcome.

Also, many upon arrival were subjected to slave conditions that they were not expecting. Through debt bondage, the confiscation of passports and the kafala system. With reports of physical and sexual abuse.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/MDE22/004/2014/en/

What you are doing is placing the blame on exploited victims in order to defend abuse. Why are you doing this shitty thing?

Why are you being so wrong?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Have the likes of Nepal, India and Pakistan talked to Qatar about how their fellow countrymen are treated?

tomaldinho1

This trend of being contrarian for the sake of it really speaks about the poster. Assuming you are above the age about 10 you surely understand it’s a bit more nuanced, it’d be like defending sex trafficking to Amsterdam because, after all, they get jobs when they’re there and most come willingly so it’s all good right?

NoPace

We should really all be ashamed we didn't collectively organize as football fans to boycott this. I'm going to watch it and enjoy it but the German fans (unsurprisingly as they have some organization and actual economic power) seem to have lapped everyone.

Really, the time for protests was when it was announced. Organized walkouts at club matches across the world could have made a difference.

Spoony

The People's President
Read this article please.

“This is a World Cup built on modern slavery.”

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/artic...race-17593056.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

Qatar's World Cup is an unparalleled disgrace

[...]

An estimated 2.9 million people live in Qatar. Only 380,000, or 13%, are Qatari citizens. Qatar’s citizenry is exceptionally wealthy, thanks to the country’s state-owned natural gas company and the rest of the world’s reliance on that natural gas. Qatar emits more carbon dioxide per capita than any other country on the planet.

Most everyone else in Qatar — the vast majority of the population — is desperately poor, forced to work, left to suffer. Many are South Asian migrant workers from Nepal, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan. They come to Qatar in an attempt to make a little bit of money for their families back home, even though they know going in that the odds are stacked against them from the get-go. They often have to take out loans for exorbitant, illegal recruitment fees (bribes, really) just to pay their way to Qatar for work. If they die in Qatar, their families are burdened with their debt. Rolling Stone reported on one such case, in which a starving Nepalese widow named Manju Devi says she got on her hands and knees and begged loan sharks to forgive her family’s $10,000 debt after her husband died in Qatar of a heart attack, a common occurrence due to the excessive work in the excessive heat.

[...]

The exact body count of Qatar’s World Cup construction is hard to know. Qatar fudges the numbers by excluding heart attacks and other serious afflictions. (For example, the heart attack of Devi’s late husband was categorized by Qatar as “nonwork related,” which also meant no compensation for Devi’s family.) In 2021, the Guardian gave its best estimate of the carnage: 6,500 migrant deaths over 10 years, a number that the publication itself called a conservative undercount.

[...]

FIFA deflects away from it, and Fox may ignore it entirely, but Qatar’s treatment of slaves is the story. It's the only thing that even remotely matters. The 2022 World Cup is diabolical, unconscionable, truly evil. It's irredeemable, from start to finish, no matter what happens next.
You hear some harrowing stories. But yeah we're all hypocrites and all that. Go football.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Death of workers is deplorable, no one supports this. But to the boycotters please don’t just spray outrage into the atmosphere, put action behind it. Don’t watch the World Cup. Don’t visit Qatar or take your family on holiday to the UAE, no getaways to Dubai. Stand your ground and be firm in your outrage.
Telling the people in a thread about boycotting the World Cup who are for a boycott to boycott is just what was needed..

Thanks coach

NoPace

The lefties at Novarra Media on a Boycott

https://novaramedia.com/2022/11/14/should-we-boycott-the-qatar-world-cup/

The Marxists they are they attempt to discuss it structurally, without being partisan.

"Whether we boycott the Qatar World Cup or not, the workers who died building its stadiums will still be dead. But with proper organisation, we might prevent such barbarism in future. In fact, we might transform football altogether through coordinated fan action around everything from ticket prices to corruption to the sexism and homophobia still rife in the game. This all starts with proper discussions about where football sits within politics and economics. As Marx might have said, fans of the world, unite – you have nothing to lose but your fatalism."
Good post.

"Qatari law bans workers from forming unions" This part alone should have led to FIFPRO boycotting the tournament as a union.

It's always wild to me that so many people (at least here in Canada) go around saying "if you don't vote you can't complain about the government that is elected" but you rarely hear "if you don't organize politically you can't complain."

The average person here doesn't even know why they only work 5 days instead of 6 or even 7 and probably thinks it's because of voting or I dunno some nice rich business owners who felt bad for the workers. You literally go to school for 5 days, get 2 days off and are never taught why that's the case for the entire 13 years you're in school. It's madness.

Tarrou

i couldn’t think of anything worse, getting hammered in that heat then going to watch a match as your hangover kicks in. I’d be really ill.
two of my games kick off at 10pm, and it’s winter so I doubt it’ll be that hot at that time

I’m wondering whether to risk bringing some vodka in though

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

No, neither of those things are the problem. The problem doesn't warrant green smilies. The human rights issues are the problem. That clip is part of the circus that has been built around the problem .