Brandon Williams Appreciation Society

hubbuh

Censorship :lol:

Also, it's way too early to appreciate Brandon Williams. Despite him starting strongly, our kids are routinely overrated on this forum and we've seen this exact sentiment expressed towards Diogo Dalot and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, both which went on to achieve the square root of very little. Seems more apt to maintain a healthy dose of neutrality.

However, Pogba is a monster who eats children's bones. No doot about that.
You’re talking about Dalot as if he’s Tyler Blackett. We signed him a little over a year ago - give him a chance ffs! In the same post you’ve made chastising those that overhype young players, you’ve done the other extreme of writing them off before they’ve had a chance to get going.

Withnail

Is your first part regarding me not getting the reference? I rarely come on here, and I don’t live in the UK so a lot of stuff easily escapes me!

The second part - no, I haven’t based my overall opinion on highlights. My overall opinion is based on full matches I’ve watched. Matches in which his overall game has been OK abut not in line with his hype and his crossing hasn’t been so special.

However, I don’t watch every Liverpool game and I can offer my view from the highlights of his crosses that I’ve seen as a positive for him.
The first part wasn't about you not getting references.

Sorry to give you that impression. I was incredulous that people thought Januzaj was as good as Messi.

Second point fair enough.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I get the impression Dalot is out of the picture. Think that's a shame. He looks liked a good squad option last year. Williams looks good so far though and is a bit quicker turning than Dalot.

AWB
LAIRD
SHAW
WILLIAMS

Could give you a decent squad of full-backs in the long run, maybe with Shaw getting replaced if he doesn't push on a bit (he's been standing still for most of his career now)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Reminds me of Phillip Lahm ex Bayern defender, But I believe Williams can be an even better player with the proper coaching.
A) everyone knows who lahm is. The "ex Bayern defender" really wasn't needed.
B)better than Lahm.. lets set some realistic goals first..
Adnan Januzaj says hi!

But it is nice to see a warm glow of happiness of the caf, makes a nice change, so in that vein I reckon he'll probably be better than Pele

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
So I take it you don’t rate Shaw?
No, he's nothing to write home about when he's fit, and he's never fit or can stay fit for any length of time, it's probably best for the club and the lad himself to move on and give him a chance to save his career elsewhere while he still can, and he's more chance of that happening in London/SE.

Bondi77

Geez.....I can remember that idiot on Utd stand banging on about spending a fortune on the Brazilian Juve LB and selling Shaw and as soon as Jose gives Luke a decent run of games and he starts to impress the guy is doing more back flips than Nani and swooning over Luke.
Once he is back alongside Maguire on the left side it will be a lot more solid than the right with awB and shaky Lindelof (mark my words) and Dalot was rated the best young FB in Europe so let us not give up on him too soon eh?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It’s not a universally accepted notion though is it.....it’s very often not the players people expect to make the step up who go on and prove themselves to be top quality

For example, you could have watched every single Utd Academy game at every age group for ten years...how many would have predicted it would be Scott McTominay and Brandon Williams of all the hundreds of players who would be getting rave reviews in the 1st team?

Point being - far too many players are cut without ever being given a proper chance. At least at Utd, they have more chance that most though
Of course it is universally accepted, your first post wasn't about projection but knowledge. Pretty much everyone accept the idea that until a player actually plays at professional level, you won't know how good/bad they will be at professional level, that includes training and why youth players are tested behind closed doors.
As for your last sentence, it's a strange claim what does far too many represent? 100% of current professional players have been given a chance, who are these players that haven't?

Withnail

Geez.....I can remember that idiot on Utd stand banging on about spending a fortune on the Brazilian Juve LB and selling Shaw and as soon as Jose gives Luke a decent run of games and he starts to impress the guy is doing more back flips than Nani and swooning over Luke.
Once he is back alongside Maguire on the left side it will be a lot more solid than the right with awB and shaky Lindelof (mark my words) and Dalot was rated the best young FB in Europe so let us not give up on him too soon eh?
The left side wasn't exactly solid when Shaw was in the team. Maguire was getting pulled out there to help Shaw a fair bit if I recall correctly.

Bondi77

Well all I can say is let us see what happens when Luke is back and fit and has time with Harry to build an understanding and as Luke is as quick as most he might supplement the lack of pace of Harry to cover him when that is exploited.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They were class, Maldini, Evra, Carlos and Cole were class too. I'd still pick the left-footer over the right-footer if they were of similar quality.
Kouroux, Van Gaal was the one who moved Lahm from the left, right? Can't really recall what happened.
I would do tbh, always prefer full backs playing their natural side.
Regarding Lahm, I have no recollection whatsoever

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well all I can say is let us see what happens when Luke is back and fit and has time with Harry to build an understanding and as Luke is as quick as most he might supplement the lack of pace of Harry to cover him when that is exploited.
Williams is just as quick as Shaw TBH

thepolice123

Bizzare that he is playing left back when he is right-footed. We need someone to really stretch the play down the left like how Luke was under LVG.

Green_Red

He was brilliant today. Made a fool of their right winger a few times, he looked frustrated to bits. Great to see another academy product kn the starting xi.

R'hllor

Dont care, dont wanna see Young ever starting over either this kid or Shaw, only if we dont have other option. Actually feck it, not even then.

billybee99

If Young is starting instead of Williams in 2 weeks time, I won't even know what to say.

buckooo1978

reminds me of Rafael breaking through

raw energy and aggression

he will need to be a bit more composed at times but he looks like he's got a great future. Already looks our best LB

Shark

@NotShark
He’s showing both Young and Shaw up and it’s about time. They’re simply not good enough.

RedDevilRoshi

So far he looks our best LB and has to be 1st choice.

Looks better than both Shaw & Young

TheReligion

Abusive
Looked good today and unlucky not to score. Great save by Ryan to deny him. Should be first choice based on current form.

Red Rash

I think Williams made a big difference to why we were more of an attacking threat

He made a lot of good overlapping runs which draws aways the right back and provides Rashford with more space.

Young doesnt provide this option. United have always relied on fullbacks to provide width in the attack and I think Williams is the perfect left back for us.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
All the talk has been of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong etc, but Williams seems to have slipped into the first XI under the radar without too much of a fanfare.
Looks to be a fantastic prospect and has already made a huge difference to our attacking threat...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
All the talk has been of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong etc, but Williams seems to have slipped into the first XI under the radar without too much of a fanfare.
Looks to be a fantastic prospect and has already made a huge difference to our attacking threat...
He’s been fantastic. Can’t wait for Laird to get his chance also.

OohAahMartial

"Brandon Williams:
• Cousin to Zelfa Barrett [23-1 champion boxer]
• Headbutted Accrington Stanley's captain in a pre-season friendly
• Squared up to De Wit on European debut
• Man-handled Hudson-Odoi on Cup debut
• Squared up to Maupay on first League start
Bad boy. "

:keano::keano::keano:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
"Brandon Williams:
• Cousin to Zelfa Barrett [23-1 champion boxer]
• Headbutted Accrington Stanley's captain in a pre-season friendly
• Squared up to De Wit on European debut
• Man-handled Hudson-Odoi on Cup debut
• Squared up to Maupay on first League start
Bad boy. "

:keano::keano::keano:
I have needed a hot headed United player to love since Rafael. Keep it going Brandon :devil:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
His hit gave the rest of the team the belief they needed to score the next 2.

soralapio

Every time someone (first Shaw, now Williams) is on the verge of replacing Ashley Young as the starting left back, they MYSTERIOUSLY immediately get injured.

I would suggest that Ashley Young is in fact a warlock who is using his magic powers to hobble his rivals.