Brandon Williams is better than Luke Shaw

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd like to think that was true, but he seems to have a cult like following on the forum and I just can't fathom it, he might be the best option at the minute, but ...
It's not a cult, mate. It's just those of us who realise he's a very good footballer, and someone who was a key player in our unbeaten run just gone.

This fascination with labelling fans who appreciate a players talent as cult-like is silly. It was the same when those of us said Martial should be playing more got labelled "Martial FC" in a condescending manner. As if we were supporting Martial over the club itself, which was never the case.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It's not a cult, mate. It's just those of us who realise he's a very good footballer, and someone who was a key player in our unbeaten run just gone.

This fascination with labelling fans who appreciate a players talent as cult-like is silly. It was the same when those of us said Martial should be playing more got labelled "Martial FC" in a condescending manner. As if we were supporting Martial over the club itself, which was never the case.
Yeah totally agree mate, I let myself down badly there, and me being pissed at the time is no defence.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Unless a FB is a child prodigy like Maldini or Zanetti who seem to have been born as 30 year old WC players then do expect kids to make mistakes. I lost count of how many times Gaz and his brother murdered players close/inside the box with their trademark hack the player first and then think of the consequences later up until they grew out of it. Its up to Ole to insist on the boy up until he get it right.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Don't you think?

Surely the best left back at the club. Probably the best all-around full back at the club, purely with regards to his performances in the first team. Needs to be first choice, he's obviously ready.
He's obviously ready.

Pennywise

Neither are good enough. Shaw is just about good enough to be back up. Williams definitely isn't

Ekeke

Needs to be much stronger, lost his balance a few times too and we clearly lose a level of our attack when we dont have a left footed player on that side.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not championship level. Nowhere close. Needs to go back in the oven. Needs 10 kilos otherwise no football career. Absolutely hopeless today.

acnumber9

He’ll have learned a valuable lesson tonight. Don’t play football in your slippers. Shite.

Icemav

This is not a knock on Williams because he is still very young and looks it.

However the loss of Shaw has been huge. He was in rip roaring form and helped that left side (Rashy has looked a bit empty since the restart). Also his ball retention and passing were superb.

Fully Fledged

Brandon doesn't look ready to be the main starter yet. He needs to be brought through slowly or loaned out to a prem team so he can get experience.

Dyslexic Untied

This is not a knock on Williams because he is still very young and looks it.

However the loss of Shaw has been huge. He was in rip roaring form and helped that left side (Rashy has looked a bit empty since the restart). Also his ball retention and passing were superb.
100%

Schmeichel=God

Well proving the title of this thread to be bs has certainly picked up pace in recent weeks.

The kid is young and needs game time to improve sure, but you simply cannot deny what the lack of a natural left footer on that left side does to this team's output.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not championship level. Nowhere close. Needs to go back in the oven. Needs 10 kilos otherwise no football career. Absolutely hopeless today.
Jesus wept. I'm off the opinion that he needed a rest after getting his head smashed two matches ago. The first half from him was fine, bar one stray pass. Was definitely a lot better than TFM.

Individuals keep getting slaughtered on here when the manager hasn't really helped them (whole team was drained of energy, there was no intensity whatsoever because he stupidly decided to "go for it" with a physically depleted team despite two must win games coming up). Then we saw the inevitable: everyone waiting for an individual to conjure up magic.

I will grant you glee-chasing feckers that Shaw has been massively improved since he realised he wasn't an automatic starter. Similar to how he played for 5 games to earn a new unmerited 150K deal.

Shaw is maybe the most disrespected player on this forum. Can't be overstated how important consistency is in a player. I think Brandon will end up being a fine player but he was embarrassed by Jarod bloody Bowen today (who I'm still wondering why we didn't buy over James).

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If there is a guarantee that he can be first choice in lower half PL club or even a decent championship club and get regular game time, send him on loan. He is still very young, so can't be too harsh but he is clearly not at required level. Loans don't always work well though and player ends up staying on bench at a totally new club hampering his growth, so need to be careful about it if coaching staff sees him having future at United.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Jesus wept. I'm off the opinion that he needed a rest after getting his head smashed two matches ago. The first half from him was fine, bar one stray pass. Was definitely a lot better than TFM.

Individuals keep getting slaughtered on here when the manager hasn't really helped them (whole team was drained of energy, there was no intensity whatsoever because he stupidly decided to "go for it" with a physically depleted team despite two must win games coming up). Then we saw the inevitable: everyone waiting for an individual to conjure up magic.

I will grant you glee-chasing feckers that Shaw has been massively improved since he realised he wasn't an automatic starter. Similar to how he played for 5 games to earn a new unmerited 150K deal.
Nah, he's just not good enough. Not at the moment. Manchester United is not a kindergarten.

He has to pull his weight. Even if he's out there exposed. There were plenty of instances when he just couldn't cut it when he was faced with a normal, high-level situation.

He's a lost little boy at this very moment.

No one else can take the chances for him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I dont think there is anyone who still believes Williams should be our first choice LB. We really miss Shaw, he is very important in the build up play.

Skåre Willoch

Clearly not as good as Shaw right now, but he’ll come good. I’m still optimistic for him.

Keep him, and give him a decent amount of game time next season.

Icemav

Shaw is maybe the most disrespected player on this forum. Can't be overstated how important consistency is in a player. I think Brandon will end up being a fine player but he was embarrassed by Jarod bloody Bowen today (who I'm still wondering why we didn't buy over James).
Yes he is. Perhaps sometimes deserved however since the restart and prior to the ankle twist he might have been our best player. Personally I think he can be a monstrously good player when fit and on form. Some people still think he still barely qualifies to sit on the bench. Such is human bias. All I know is that our form has tanked with him missing and fatigue aside it is a contributing factor. Williams is miles off that level and Rashford MIA so the left side has collapsed.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
So much to learn. Positionally naive. He's been run ragged and has been woeful the last few games.

Superunknown

I can't tell what his best position should be, but it most definitely isn't at left back.

Siorac

He might still come good, as he's very young - but this was a Sunday League performance.

spiriticon

He got into the box a lot earlier this season.

Now he's just nowhere near the box and he definitely isn't anywhere near as good as Shaw at defending. So it's just meh..

DarkXaero

Starting to think that he might not be a PL caliber fullback. His performance today was amateur level, he didn't look like he belonged. Maybe he's going through a confidence crisis, but if this is how bad his performance level can be, then we can't have him as a backup LB behind injury prone Shaw.

Nick7

Starting to think that he might not be a PL caliber fullback. His performance today was amateur level, he didn't look like he belonged. Maybe he's going through a confidence crisis, but if this is how bad his performance level can be, then we can't have him as a backup LB behind injury prone Shaw.
He’s never looked ready really. Lots of energy and passion. But lacking in most of the fundamentals of the full back position. He was getting praised for what Lingard gets pelted for on here earlier in the season.

izec

People definitely should stop with these ridiculous threads after a couple of games, see Dan James. Shaw is not the greatest, but Williams is a schoolboy. He has a long way ahead of him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Some of these threads made after 3-4 games.

I hope I don't have one that gets bumped :lol:

Jaxa

He didn't have a terrible game, actually showed some good play, he just needs to fill into his body as a man and bulk up and he will be some talent