Brands: JLINGZ, JJO, Fierce, AM9, JM8, Paul Pogba Collection

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rashford and Lingard are dressed like a couple of pimps. Made me think of Gator from 'The Other Guys'.
The photo's from the upcoming tv show Pastor & Pimp: Clothes Detectives.

binary bot
I keep seeing this Mata 1% thing, do people realise that's only £10 in every thousand he earns. .

If you think this is charitable giving you really need to assess your own. Borders on shameless self promotion to me. There's plenty of footballers who donate far more than 1% of their salary and don't feel the need to be recognised for it.

We've turned into the club that I thought City would turn into, but this is what happens when you lose strong characters like Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and Scholes and don't replace them. The kids run the playground. That's partly why the amount of money we spend this summer is irrelevant to me, it's about bringing in the right characters and most of those would be nearing the end of their careers rather than at their peak.
It's a charity that aims to get other footballers to do the same. Do you think 10% would have lots of other people signing up? We're really criticised people for being charitable now.

crossy1686

career ending
It's a charity that aims to get other footballers to do the same. Do you think 10% would have lots of other people signing up? We're really criticised people for being charitable now.
Mata's possibly one of the only footballers that uses his brand name for good. He should be absolved for all criticism to be fair

Ace of Spades

I don't care what they do off the pitch, the problem is that they are not good enough. And if they are not good enough, they should not be here, and it is the responsibility of the management and the people in charge to make sure that the ones not good enough are offloaded.

AdNani

I think you can question commitment to those training sessions and matches though.
To release a clothing line suggest there’s an air of ‘made it’ especially when it’s based on your name and shirt number.

Maybe that kills that extra ounce of motivation or desire to achieve? Who knows. So yes they could be neglecting it.
You can question their commitment in training, which you’ve never seen, because they have other ventures outside of football? Beckham was one of the most hardworking footballers I’ve ever seen, he was also the footballer the most brand orientated footballer probably ever, the two aren’t exclusive,

Or are only the best footballers aloud business outside of the game ?

They have a short career in the game, I’m pretty sure they’ll have managers who will encourage them to do it

ROFLUTION

I really do think its a problem if you're struggling / need to perform better and you also have focus on your clothing line or too much PR stuff at the same time.

Attention-craving items like Instagram, gaming or whatever works the same, I think. its not that different from me being addicted to surf Redcafe - I also spent less time focusing on work because I can have fun elsewhere.

The time the players spent procrastinating there is probably fun, but you're not facing or giving time for your brain to deeply process the real issues I believe. I dont mind players having fun in their freetime, but some of the places they go, craves too much focus from your brain. All these apps, PR exercises, clothing lines demands answers and time from you. It can maybe work if one or two in a team is like that, but not if its the standard behavior.

I do think it could make players not being fired up for midtable games for instance. Its also where we've lost a lot of points the last couple of seasons. Its easy to think your life's not that bad when you're getting PMed nudes on insta or whatever, but you might also cover up the cracks this way and not face the real issues on your path to become the best player you can possibly be. Some players can handle it and uses the attention to perform as a reactionary back against the wall thing, but I'd guess most become worse.

ROFLUTION

You can question their commitment in training, which you’ve never seen, because they have other ventures outside of football? Beckham was one of the most hardworking footballers I’ve ever seen, he was also the footballer the most brand orientated footballer probably ever, the two aren’t exclusive,

Or are only the best footballers aloud business outside of the game ?

They have a short career in the game, I’m pretty sure they’ll have managers who will encourage them to do it
To me you're just quoting the good example that fits your view. Memphis would be another bad example, so its never black and white.

Another point is also that the good examples get a lot of exposure, because the cameras are directed at them. But not a lot of exposure is on the talent that had too much fun, and never made it. I really cringed when I saw a Gomez or Chong 'made it' insta video after the PSG game.

To me it's a big deal if more than a few of the players have these attention-craving things. You can get away with it if its Ronaldo, but when you look at City, Liverpool and Barca, I think its really clear that there's not many of these types in the team. A lot of them are keeping their heads down and having success.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I keep seeing this Mata 1% thing, do people realise that's only £10 in every thousand he earns. .

If you think this is charitable giving you really need to assess your own. Borders on shameless self promotion to me. There's plenty of footballers who donate far more than 1% of their salary and don't feel the need to be recognised for it.

We've turned into the club that I thought City would turn into, but this is what happens when you lose strong characters like Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and Scholes and don't replace them. The kids run the playground. That's partly why the amount of money we spend this summer is irrelevant to me, it's about bringing in the right characters and most of those would be nearing the end of their careers rather than at their peak.
I never get the reasoning behind posts like yours! Contributing 1% of weekly wages every week, especially for a PL footballer is a huge amount. Sure, the amount he donates eventually may amount to 75k or so, but keeping it at 1% means that more people can join in without this donation becoming a burden.
Its really simple- If you're asked to donate 1% of your monthly salary on a social cause, you're likely to be okay with that- irrespective of your profession. But ask the same person to make it a one time donation with the amount being 12% of your monthly salary on the same cause, and you'd have second thoughts

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who on earth will buy JLingz brand? It would like turning to the treble celebrations with David May's shirt.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maybe that kills that extra ounce of motivation or desire to achieve? Who knows. So yes they could be neglecting it.
Their brands won't be successful if they don't back them up with great performances, so, if anything, it's an additional motivation for them.

Sing you a song

Footballers doing brands is laughable
Let’s see how Lingards range does when he is playing for a club like Southampton or Watford because none of the big clubs would be in for him if we finally realise how overrated he is an move him on.
Lukaku aftershave I wonder if it stinks as bad as his performances?

Kaglish10

It's official. We're really cash cows to these players. They don't care about us as long as they regularly get their dough. Whatever happened with tc23 today? Example of players who uses the club for their personal glory than give their all for the club. What a mess.

Kaglish10

Footballers doing brands is laughable
Let’s see how Lingards range does when he is playing for a club like Southampton or Watford because none of the big clubs would be in for him if we finally realise how overrated he is an move him on.
Lukaku aftershave I wonder if it stinks as bad as his performances?
Exactly. I wonder if Tom Cleverley still has a brand today.

Schmeichel=God

Got to say....this is extremely dappa!

But yeh...in the Ferguson/Beckham era....all this lot are flirting with the door.

Yes have your business interests, but to Ferguson everything you are is the club first. Conflict of interest...??...there's the door.

As long as these players are giving their all in training, that's fine. But don't leverage the stature of the club for your gain, especially when the club is at its worst state and in real danger.

The Irish Connection

Tbh I wasn’t fully aware of these before now, and it’s embarrassing and wrong. I fully agree with what Keane says. You’re a professional footballer getting millions every year, get your head down and focus on the game for the 12 odd years you’re at it and then afterwards you can do your business ventures.
It’s totally wrong, and these lads are underperforming players in a team that comes 6th in the league.
So much wrong with the modern game.
If I was ole, I would be binning all these lads and getting in serious competitors.
The Sanchez one, oh my god.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So are we giving average players a platform to promote themselves as they know they won't be at United for long, or are we allowing talented footballers to pursue other interests outside of football as we know they're capable of winning trophies in the long run?
Should there be some sort of clause in every Manchester United contract, banning their involvement in any kind of outside commercial interests until the team wins a prespecified number of trophies? Good luck with that. Not like we need to make this rebuild any harder than it is already.

Admit it. You’re pissed off with them all so it pisses you off seeing them having interests other than playing football. That’s fine. At least it would be honest. It’s never going to change though. Not at Manchester United, or at any other football club. So it’s pointless getting wound up about it.

clarkydaz

im not on social media, but I assume half of the city and Liverpool teams have their perfume and clothing lines? or maybe they are busy fighting for trophies

el3mel

That's the only thing some if not all of these players are good at.

Todd

What athletes do on their own time is nobody's business but their own. They have every right to capitalize and profit from their likeness.

Claiming that players are getting distracted because they take a business meeting or two during their personal time is ridiculous. Go ask Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, etc if the shoe and apparel deals they set up for themselves impacted their performance on the court. Go ask Messi or Ronaldo if becoming the focal point of Adidas and Nike campaigns have distracted their focus or impacted their performances.

Clothing lines aren't the problem, the problem is the players are either not good enough, don't care enough or don't try enough.

Also, who among us would tell someone no if they showed up at our doors and told us they could make us extra money if we put our names on a clothing line?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Lingard and Rashford look like a pair of twats. Lingard looks like me granma.

crossy1686

career ending
Should there be some sort of clause in every Manchester United contract, banning their involvement in any kind of outside commercial interests until the team wins a prespecified number of trophies? Good luck with that. Not like we need to make this rebuild any harder than it is already.

Admit it. You’re pissed off with them all so it pisses you off seeing them having interests other than playing football. That’s fine. At least it would be honest. It’s never going to change though. Not at Manchester United, or at any other football club. So it’s pointless getting wound up about it.
No, as I've already said, it doesn't really bother me that they have outside interests. I think I would probably have an outside venture if I were a professional footballer because there's no reason why I wouldn't want to experience another work environment and have a productive escape. However, what I don't understand is the business sense it makes to do something like a clothing line. Let's break it down for a second and look at the details:

Target audience:

I support Manchester United and I support Jesse Lingard when he plays for United. Would I buy a United shirt? Depends on the design. Would I get Lingard's name on the back? No way. Would I buy a JLINGZ hoody? Feck no.

I'm obviously not the target demographic but who is? I don't know any United fan (with the exception of one and if he wasn't family I wouldn't speak to him) who would even get Lingard's name on the back of their United shirt.

So what about rival fans? Just because I wouldn't wear a WALCOTTZ hoody doesn't mean someone else who isn't an Everton fan wouldn't but would you? I mean, even if they had great 'bantz' on social media I still would give it a miss.

No one but their mothers are shelling out for this merch. Which begs the question, who are they doing this for? Their ego? Self indulgence? It's undoubtedly costing them money to own a clothing company. Zlatan's closed last summer due to massive losses, and he's Zlatan.

Price point:

JLINGZ sell mens hoodies at £45 per hoody and kids at £35 per hoody. At that price they're at the high end of the market, completely alienating the average person who works for minimum wage.

To reiterate my previous point, who is going to pay Jesse Lingard, a footballing millionaire who moonwalks at the Emirates £45 to wear one of his hoodies?

Image:

Because Lingard has made himself the face of this clothing brand, its success is largely dependant on how well he does on the football field. He would have had much more success if he didn't plaster his face and name all over everything, at least then you would have a larger target audience. What happens if United sell him in the next couple of seasons? Will people still want JLINGZ clothing while he's playing at newly promoted Stoke?

It's all this that baffles me in all honesty. He's either incredibly naive and has been ill advised by some very deceptive people who are taking him for a spin or his ego is literally out of control to think he could go where no footballer has ever gone before and cross that divide between rivalries with some over priced, brightly coloured hoodies because he gets likes on Instagram. I'm picking on Jesse Lingard here but a lot of this applies to all of them also.

I feel sorry for him if it's the first one because it must be difficult being young, rich and famous, but if it's the second one I want them out of my club, today.

beergod

I miss the days of footballers like Robbie Fowler who relatively quietly amassed a huge amount of rental properties while playing. But who is to say that they aren't also doing similarly.

I just hope that Lingard isn't spending a bunch of money on that shit, the clothing is hideous.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Seriously how many other players of clubs do shit like this. Players have sponsorships of course but our players take cringe to a whole different level. I’d never even give a second thought to buying any of the crap they put out too. Who does?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Mata's inclusion in the OP seems harsh. He posts the blogs the day after matches and its not something that would impact his training in the slightest.

wolvored

Personally I feel like its partly the club that encorages these things. It cannot be a coincidence that these players started these lines whilst at this club.

Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez specifically.
Maybe the club gets a cut? Who knows?