Brands: JLINGZ, JJO, Fierce, AM9, JM8, Paul Pogba Collection

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It’s like Conor McGregor shit. Their personal managers/agents sign deals with 3rd parties to use their name.

I don’t mind players doing things on the side as the wages and time on the field isn’t guaranteed - but they get advised by their marketing team to post at certain times to their targeted market - and build their reputation. These people don’t give a feck about the footballing side, so ill timed tweets/posts always come.

But the club is your day job and number 1. There has to be a balance and respect there - even an agreement to not do sponsored or self publishing posts during a period of games. It’s becoming a farce.

The worst one in history though was Phil Jones branded “PJ5” post on the anniversary of the Munich air disaster. Prick should have been fecked out of the club there and then.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Last time I buy the Ashley Young© Mouthwash...

clarkydaz

Seriously how many other players of clubs do shit like this. Players have sponsorships of course but our players take cringe to a whole different level. I’d never even give a second thought to buying any of the crap they put out too. Who does?
To be fair this is the vision of the club now. This is the culture the board have created and these players have learned from the best. Whilst we know what Fergie would have thought of this, those days have gone

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There are opportunities for players to improve themselves beyond standard training sessions. Can they stay behind to refine certain parts of their game (like Beckham did with his free kicks)? Can they watch as much game film as possible in order to gain a better understanding of how their team moves on the field, how they can better position themselves, and so on? It's absolutely fair to question the level of players' commitment to their football, especially if there is no net improvement in their game and intelligence over time. If Lingard comes back in August the same player that left in May, I'll be livid.

Now I don't think players should not have lives outside of the sport, that's ridiculous. That being said, if these guys are looking to maximize revenue streams outside of football, a luxury clothing line isn't the best investment to be honest. Just stick your cash in a solid investment fund. If it's their lifelong dream to have a clothing line, then fair enough I guess. Either way if you're not performing on the pitch, you won't be selling too many clothes. And if you're targeting your club's fans as a potential market, there are better times to stage marketing events or launches than after a torrid run of results. But meh.

mu4c_20le

Jesse Lingard's clothing line. Launched in December of 2018 after we battered Fulham at home and just before the game against Liverpool. Did he time the launch to get maximum exposure
Don't think so... at least ive never heard of it. I only know about the brand through his own tweets.
My burning question is who is the target audience? It's not rival fans, it's not United fans and no school kid is running around a play ground wanting to be the next Jesse Lingard...
Why not? He is apparently pretty popular with the kids and they love his antics.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's a clear shift in mentality with today's footballers, and it's also clearly not a good one. When you see how much less quality there is around it does seem like it's had an effect. You used to be able to reel lists of players off who you'd love to be playing for you but not anymore. There used to be a lot more down to earth grit and determination. Not blaming it on this obviously, but it's an example of the whole shift I think. Most of these have barely even established themselves as a player when they're doing this.

I don't blame em for doing it mind. It must be good fun pretending you have a bit of a business going while other people do all the hard work, and obviously making a bit of money from it. And it's not like they don't have tonnes of free time.

Also, Lukaku cologne :lol:

Last edited:

badkins

Don't think so... at least ive never heard of it. I only know about the brand through his own tweets.
Well, he used the derby day as a promo-code to promote his brand. We lost the game obviously.

Also, Lingard was the one who was taking videos inside the bus before WHU game and the famous attack.
Gameweek 37, chance to make the top 4. Focus before the game? Heck no, better to film some stupid videos, lose a game and miss the Champions League by goal difference.
At one point, Lingard pulls a mock expression of fear and calls for his 'mummy' before the camera pans to defender Cameron Borthwick-Jackson who is the only player still sat in his seat seemingly untroubled by the chaos surrounding him.
I'm done with this childish mentality around the club. Keane is right - it wouldn't be tolerated with strong leadership, which we lack.

KristianMackle

These players should use their brands to maximize their earning potential. That is the smartest thing any footballer can do. The only problem is we're not very good and people have a problem with seeing those kinds of things. I get that. But again, we have to understand that for these players, it's just a profession and are not as emotionally invested as we are. So it's all about earning more money.

Reactions: SteveJ

Web of Bissaka

Many of us won't care and won't mind if they give it their best in the football pitch -- they just don't!

I remember CR7 and Rio did all this promotions and advertisement stuffs trying to promote their name and brand, in the mid 2000s, and many fans don't mind, simply because we know Ronaldo and Rio tend to give it their all when playing. No issue there, they can do whatever they want.

:rolleyes: Most of the current players though...

SteveJ

Scout
These players should use their brands to maximize their earning potential. That is the smartest thing any footballer can do. The only problem is we're not very good and people have a problem with seeing those kinds of things. I get that. But again, we have to understand that for these players, it's just a profession and are not as emotionally invested as we are. So it's all about earning more money.
There's also the 'creative' attraction: I wonder how many of us have daydreamed about having a clothes shop or suchlike? Quite a few, I bet.

Jib

Pogba was already a brand in his Juve days. Nothing news and tbf that was one of the reason we bought him for the world record at that time...

crossy1686

career ending
Well, he used the derby day as a promo-code to promote his brand. We lost the game obviously.

Also, Lingard was the one who was taking videos inside the bus before WHU game and the famous attack.
Gameweek 37, chance to make the top 4. Focus before the game? Heck no, better to film some stupid videos, lose a game and miss the Champions League by goal difference.

I'm done with this childish mentality around the club. Keane is right - it wouldn't be tolerated with strong leadership, which we lack.
Agree with the Keane thing. Imagine him in training and in the dressing room? He'd be brutal.

"Do you think people are going to buy your clothes when you're not good enough for the first team?"
"Will that after shave improve your first touch?"
"Do you think your cologne will sell well in Italy?"
"I was training last night while you were knitting jumpers"

Duafc

Village Lemon
My own reply to Lukaku:

This is everything that's wrong with the current United fans. Average posters thinking they've made it messaging Pogba and now Lukaku instead of actually getting on with their life.. Just in case you didn't know @crossy1686 no one cares what you tweeted him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah I've got a problem with it when they're playing like shit and using this club as a platform to boost their already ridiculous bank accounts.
This. They are a laughing stock with all this shite and they know it and it’s probably knocking their confidence and performances even more but they can’t take it back now. They are putting extra pressure on themselves to be “cool” when all that really matters is what happens on the pitch. For example Will people still want lingards clothes when he’s at a Watford level team and in and out of the lineup? You’re going to look like a fool, like tc23 ffs. This is your big chance at the biggest club and on the biggest wages you’re ever going to play for but instead of kicking on these lads seem to stagnate and think they’ve made it. The only thing they are making is fools out of themselves and the club. Laughing stock. I’d say other players get a great laugh out of our spice boys, Disney land for adults and noodle sponsors cause that’s all we really are nowadays

crossy1686

career ending
This is everything that's wrong with the current United fans. Average posters thinking they've made it messaging Pogba and now Lukaku instead of actually getting on with their life.. Just in case you didn't know @crossy1686 no one cares what you tweeted him.
You don't care but you took the time to quote me, make your mind up. Bet you own at least one half and half scarf...

adexkola

Supports
No, as I've already said, it doesn't really bother me that they have outside interests. I think I would probably have an outside venture if I were a professional footballer because there's no reason why I wouldn't want to experience another work environment and have a productive escape. However, what I don't understand is the business sense it makes to do something like a clothing line. Let's break it down for a second and look at the details:

Target audience:

I support Manchester United and I support Jesse Lingard when he plays for United. Would I buy a United shirt? Depends on the design. Would I get Lingard's name on the back? No way. Would I buy a JLINGZ hoody? Feck no.

I'm obviously not the target demographic but who is? I don't know any United fan (with the exception of one and if he wasn't family I wouldn't speak to him) who would even get Lingard's name on the back of their United shirt.

So what about rival fans? Just because I wouldn't wear a WALCOTTZ hoody doesn't mean someone else who isn't an Everton fan wouldn't but would you? I mean, even if they had great 'bantz' on social media I still would give it a miss.

No one but their mothers are shelling out for this merch. Which begs the question, who are they doing this for? Their ego? Self indulgence? It's undoubtedly costing them money to own a clothing company. Zlatan's closed last summer due to massive losses, and he's Zlatan.

Price point:

JLINGZ sell mens hoodies at £45 per hoody and kids at £35 per hoody. At that price they're at the high end of the market, completely alienating the average person who works for minimum wage.

To reiterate my previous point, who is going to pay Jesse Lingard, a footballing millionaire who moonwalks at the Emirates £45 to wear one of his hoodies?

Image:

Because Lingard has made himself the face of this clothing brand, its success is largely dependant on how well he does on the football field. He would have had much more success if he didn't plaster his face and name all over everything, at least then you would have a larger target audience. What happens if United sell him in the next couple of seasons? Will people still want JLINGZ clothing while he's playing at newly promoted Stoke?

It's all this that baffles me in all honesty. He's either incredibly naive and has been ill advised by some very deceptive people who are taking him for a spin or his ego is literally out of control to think he could go where no footballer has ever gone before and cross that divide between rivalries with some over priced, brightly coloured hoodies because he gets likes on Instagram. I'm picking on Jesse Lingard here but a lot of this applies to all of them also.

I feel sorry for him if it's the first one because it must be difficult being young, rich and famous, but if it's the second one I want them out of my club, today.
Can't argue with any of this to be fair :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'd be more Interested to see what kind of weapon would buy and wear this shit?

adexkola

Supports
What players have made a success out of launching their own clothing line (not being the face of an already established brand)? I struggle to think of any. Akinfenwa?

Sterling Archer

You don't care but you took the time to quote me, make your mind up. Bet you own at least one half and half scarf...
Are you guys actually friends just kidding with each other or is this just one of those pointless internet feuds that neither of you 'wins' and just takes away from the issue at hand:
we need to band together and collectively shake up the player and management structure at our United.

I'd say keep the tweets but direct it at the club. Not the players. The mass walkout is not sensible but getting ten million fans to petition or some other trending media campaign against Woodward would be brilliant

SteveJ

Scout
Many celebrities (even Real Housewives tv show franchise 'celebs') have a merchandise line nowadays, and there could be a number of reasons for this aside from money-making; one being that the celebs are trying to convince themselves that they're famous...

starman

Lingard is pure cringe, I just can't get my head anyone buying into his brand. Its just generic clothes with his logo on it. Give me the generic clothes without the logo at a 90% discount instead, thank you very much.

I've looked at his website and his social media accounts for the first time and Rashford features on all of them, alot. I am cringing at all of it.
Lingard has some value to the sqaud but after seeing this i am more then happy seeing him leave and removed as far away from Rashford as possible (who I still have hopes for)

clarkydaz

wasn't it mentioned here recently Lingard at nearly 27 years old has 13 assists in his career? 13 assists you say, here have a clothing line :lol:

CallyRed

wasn't it mentioned here recently Lingard at nearly 27 years old has 13 assists in his career? 13 assists you say, here have a clothing line :lol:
Apparently Adam Johnson has more assists, and he has been in prison for 3 years

Marcelinho87

What players have made a success out of launching their own clothing line (not being the face of an already established brand)? I struggle to think of any. Akinfenwa?
Ferdinand with his #Five line? Seen a few people wearing that.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Are you guys actually friends just kidding with each other or is this just one of those pointless internet feuds that neither of you 'wins' and just takes away from the issue at hand:
we need to band together and collectively shake up the player and management structure at our United.

I'd say keep the tweets but direct it at the club. Not the players. The mass walkout is not sensible but getting ten million fans to petition or some other trending media campaign against Woodward would be brilliant
I just rewrote his tweet bro.