Television Breaking Bad

JohnLocke

I wouldn't recommend Boardwalk to anybody. It has a very promising premise but for one reason or another, everyone seems to lose interest by the second season.
I lost interest after about 5 episodes. The trailer for season 3 is making me think about watching the rest of it, but there's plenty of good tv starting again.

Dexter
Fringe
Homeland
Last resort (1st episode very good)
The walking dead (need to finish S02)

kps88

The Shield has always been my personal favourite. Even though I know, on a technical level, The Wire and Sopranos are superior, there's just something raw and imperfect about The Shield that makes it my favourite. The only drama I've watched three times.

Adebesi

The Shield has always been my personal favourite. Even though I know, on a technical level, The Wire and Sopranos are superior, there's just something raw and imperfect about The Shield that makes it my favourite. The only drama I've watched three times.
Ha ha. Id echo that word for word. The second half of it Ive seen 4 as well, I watched a random, one off episode of series 3 and was so hooked I then watched the rest in a couple of weeks.

I think it is more sensationalist, less realistic - so if you can suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the adrenaline-fuelled mayhem of it, it is the best show in town. I know people who sit there tutting about how unlikely some of the situations Vic gets himself into are, if you are that way inclined you may prefer the Sopranos and The Wire, which are somewhat more grounded in reality.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I've finally got round to starting this. One episode in, safe in the knowledge that I've 53 episodes ready and waiting for me :drool:

I do love a show that's full of good music:

Hal9000

Took two weeks but got up to season 4 on NetFlix. Don't think i'll bother with Season 5 till it's finished. Love the show though.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I'm up to almost the end of season three. It's great TV and the character development has been superb.

I thought season five was over a few nights ago?

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
We talk about AMC’s Breaking Bad quite a bit in this space. So it’s only fitting that I help spread this peculiar bit of news.

A man in Tuscaloosa, Alabama has made it onto the Sheriff’s top-ten most wanted list for meth production. His real-life, honest-to-God name is Walter White.

The same as the fictional role played by Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad.

The chances of this must be astronomically slim.

The real Walter White was arrested in 2008, the same year the AMC show began its incredible run, and was placed on probation in 2010. Now he’s wanted by the police after missing a court date earlier this year.

This isn’t quite as dramatic as the life and times of fictional Walter White, but the coincidence sure is – proving that yes, truth can be stranger than fiction at times even if it’s not so gripping to watch.

No word on whether the real Walter White sports a fancy hat and calls himself Heisenberg, but one does have to wonder if he watches the show.

Anyone with information about White can contact the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office at 205-752-0616.

I suppose they’re bracing themselves for the inevitable flood of phone-calls pointing to White having been spotted last Sunday in Albuquerque, NM. Robbing a train.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ter-white-wanted-for-cooking-meth-in-alabama/

What a coincidence!

Also, I've a halloween party to go to and I want to go as Walter, with the hat, shades and goatee. I want to carry about a fake bag of blue meth though as well but I can't think of anything to use that would be a good substitute and cooking my own crystal blue seems a bit drastic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ter-white-wanted-for-cooking-meth-in-alabama/

What a coincidence!

Also, I've a halloween party to go to and I want to go as Walter, with the hat, shades and goatee. I want to carry about a fake bag of blue meth though as well but I can't think of anything to use that would be a good substitute and cooking my own crystal blue seems a bit drastic.
Check out a craft store of something and see if you can find some decorative fake crystals. The kind of thing someone might put in a vase/bowl. That'd work, no?

Funny story by the way!

edit: or what about some blue rock? As in Blackpool rock, smash a load of it up?

Sally Cinnamon

What a coincidence!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homesweets-...U59C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350585140&sr=8-1

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
A bag of scrunched up blue crepe paper? Wait, that's shit, isn't it?
That's terrible, Scrumpet.
Check out a craft store of something and see if you can find some decorative fake crystals. The kind of thing someone might put in a vase/bowl. That'd work, no?

Funny story by the way!

edit: or what about some blue rock? As in Blackpool rock, smash a load of it up?
Better although I've no idea where to get that around here.
Perfect! Cheers, just ordered it.

So you see Scrumpet even though your idea was complete shit you lay the foundations for smarter people to come along with their ideas and rule out yours.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
When does this start up again? I've blasted through all this in no time at all - it's quality! That last episode of Series 4 is one of the best episodes of anything I've ever watched.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can't watch this at the usual website I don't watch TV shows on. Where can I definitely not watch this online?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Finished season 4 last night.

When they zoomed in on the lily of the valley plant at the end I actually said ''Oh shit''. I never thought Walt had that in him, or maybe he didn't, but it's definitely implied that he poisoned Brock. It was an excellent twist, I never saw it coming, don't know about other people though.

I'm now convinced that in the end either Jesse kills Walt or the other way around, I can't see a happy ending now. Disappointed to see Gus go, he was a great villain. What an ending he had though, half his head blown off but he still walks out of the room. Strange but cool. Not sure what'll happen with Mike, he's another character I like so hopefully he'll back. Same with Saul.

Skyler can feck off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
SPECULATION

There is a theory that the book was not actually from Gail, but instead from Gretchen. It's a bit of a stretch but it just about works if you squint right.

Walt already knew the poem in the earlier season when talking with Gail remember.

The initials in the book are G.B. but Gretchen's surname is 'Schwartz'... however she could have a maiden name, or the B could be for 'Black' (translation of Schwartz). The theory being that 'Grey Matter' is actually named as a cross between (Walter) White and Schwartz/Black...

Not very plausible, but I'd like it more than if Walt just left evidence carelessly lying around.

In regards to how it could be handled I thought it might be brushed away by Hank confronting Walt about it and before he accuses Walt of being W.W. Walt could plead guilty and apologise for "stealing the book from Hanks evidence" or something like that.

KingEric7

I can't stand this wait, I've been watching that Ecstasy of Gold tribute video over and over again whilst pining for the rest of the series.

vanthaman

Winner
Just started to watch this. On episode 5 of season 2 at the moment, not sure why I've waited so long to start it, it's been on my to watch lost for years just never got round to it. Quality stuff

Kinky Melinky

I can't stand this wait, I've been watching that Ecstasy of Gold tribute video over and over again whilst pining for the rest of the series.
I hear ya man. To be honest I feel they've played the wait too long. Isn't it next feckin September or something? Would have been better starting it in January at the very most.

Kinky Melinky

Just started to watch this. On episode 5 of season 2 at the moment, not sure why I've waited so long to start it, it's been on my to watch lost for years just never got round to it. Quality stuff
You're going to really enjoy it. It's truly incredible. I suggest you check out Dexter too if you haven't already done so.

KingEric7

I hear ya man. To be honest I feel they've played the wait too long. Isn't it next feckin September or something? Would have been better starting it in January at the very most.
I just read somewhere the other day that it was a year, so yeah about then! :( It's impressive how they stretched it out 5 seasons until that last scene maintaining that level of quality. Compare that to your Dexter equivalent and you get an idea of how good the show actually is.

jem

You're going to really enjoy it. It's truly incredible. I suggest you check out Dexter too if you haven't already done so.
Kind of a weird suggestion, going from Breaking Bad to Dexter. I could understand suggestion something along the lines of The Wire, The Sopranos or even Mad Men, but Dexter? That's in The Walking Dead bracket (I do, of course, regularly watch both Dexter and The Walking Dead.

KingEric7

It's probably because there are parallels to be drawn between Dexter and Walter White. Extremely different characters and roles obviously, but there are similar issues in terms of juggling family, work, etc whilst having to maintain certain levels of secrecy.

jem

It's probably because there are parallels to be drawn between Dexter and Walter White. Extremely different characters and roles obviously, but there are similar issues in terms of juggling family, work, etc whilst having to maintain certain levels of secrecy.
That's a very fair point (and one which I hadn't considered.) What puts Breaking Bad far ahead of Dexter is the way in which the double-life is concealed. Rarely does it strain credibility, whereas Dexter's ability to pick any lock, dump any body and clean up any kill room, all while raising a son and living a regular 9-5 existence, requires a good deal of indulgence from the viewer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm on the second series.....

Just watched the one where Jessie's mate get busted the cops :lol:
Such a good episode. That tortoise (or turtle, can't remember) :eek:

I'm really liking the role reversals of Walt and Hank. Hank was the gun toting, big ego, all American (although still very likeable) who wasn't scared of dead bodies and the like and Walt was the quiet guy who would never be able to do what Hank does. Then once they've both killed someone they kind of switch, but both secretly (for now anyway, I've no idea what happens with Hank obviously). Hank can't cope with it, but Walt takes it like a man. Really interesting to watch, if a little unsubtle.

KingEric7

What may give Breaking Bad the edge over the Wire and Sopranos depending on your viewpoint is the individual quality and drama of some of the scenes. I think those two sacrificed some of this in order to maintain realism and, especially in the case of the Sopranos, deliberately underplayed some of the most significant parts of the entire series in doing so.

Sopranos/Wire/Breaking Bad spoilers:

This isn't a criticism - I'm thinking along the lines of the deaths of Omar and Phil Leotardo, for example. These were things that were over and done with in a few seconds with no extra drama or glossing, probably to give a better idea of the cold and disturbing reality of the setting of the two shows. Breaking Bad is different in a way and is more thrilling. That scene where Walter shoots the guy and says 'run' was fecking mental, just as the episodes with GB's death, 'I won', the explosion in Tuco's hideout, etc were. The Wire and The Sopranos don't really have these moments. Quality moments no doubt, but it's in a different style. There's like a constant level of slight awe when you watch those two with the occasional moment of complete brilliance (you can just drop in on any scene in The Wire for example on Youtube and find it brilliant, even if nothing much happens), where as Breaking Bad gives rise to more emotional reactions whilst still keeping in line with what seems realistic. They're all absolute masterpieces though whatever your preference.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I like Breaking Bad because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I'm into series 3 and Skyler storyline is grating a bit. And she's a massive dick. Hope he shoots the shit out of her.