Television Breaking Bad

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I was just massively annoyed by that stupid constant cliffhanger-use throughout the season when the incident it was referring to (the plane crash) was absolutely pointless with regard to the main storyline.

Of course the season was good TV overall, but that part has just stuck with me. I should watch the season again I guess.
It wasn't pointless though. It shows how ruthless he is because he basically caused that and it hasn't affected him at all since. On the other hand being a cause in so many deaths may have numbed him somewhat and made it possible for him to kill afterwards (had he killed anyone before then?).

acnumber9

It wasn't pointless though. It shows how ruthless he is because he basically caused that and it hasn't affected him at all since. On the other hand being a cause in so many deaths may have numbed him somewhat and made it possible for him to kill afterwards (had he killed anyone before then?).
He killed the guy in the basement. I wouldn't say it hasn't affected or agree with anyone who thinks it was pointless. The incident kind of defines his change. He did keep the eyeball and has a bit of a mini breakdown when the fly gets in lab and he talks about the perfect time to die being that night. It was a point of no return for him.

Liam147

On Probation
I think also the fact that it was a teddy bear shows that it's children he's killed as well, being a father himself would make that hit home even more. Keeping the eye is possibly a constant reminder of that, and that killing himself or just lying down would mean they'd died in vain.

Also, the titles of the episodes with the bear spelt 737 Down Over ABQ, excellent foreshadowing I thought.

beacon

All Creatures Great and Small
Anyone know where I can see the 5 mini episodes that aired online between the first and second seasons? I've just finished season 1 again and now would be the perfect time to see them.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Its a stretch to say he killed the people on the plane. Although it is his fault that the flight controller is in a bad state and fecks up leading to the crash thats not something he planned for. Its just an unfortunate series of events - a butterfly effect if you will.

He had already killed crazy 8 and somehow killed Jesse's girlfriend by choosing not to interfer when she was overdosing. I dont see the plane crash as an important step in Walt's road to becoming a cold hearted killer that he is in season 5.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Its a stretch to say he killed the people on the plane. Although it is his fault that the flight controller is in a bad state and fecks up leading to the crash thats not something he planned for. Its just an unfortunate series of events - a butterfly effect if you will.

He had already killed crazy 8 and somehow killed Jesse's girlfriend by choosing not to interfer when she was overdosing. I dont see the plane crash as an important step in Walt's road to becoming a cold hearted killer that he is in season 5.
I think I do. Or it at least shows him for what he is, to an extent. Most people would go insane with the guilt. Even if he didn't directly cause it, he will have known he played a part with it being all over the news.

Do we know why he kept the eye (I'm shit at remembering smaller details from things I watch)?

Liam147

On Probation
Scanned through a few pages of this thread, these caught my eye.
Just to warn you Elvis, quite a few us did what you did (watch everything in a short amount of time) so when you're done with season 5 get ready to have a massive void in your life. The wait until the next season starts will feel like a lifetime.
This. So much this. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I might take up Meth.
The hate for Walt isn't in the sense that he's a bad character, he's amazing and the performance from Cranston is absolutely superb. For me the journey from backing him to thinking he's a complete cnut is a huge part of the development of the show - brilliantly written.
Definitely, the fact that he's becoming more and more evil and conscienceless will leave the audience less disappointed when he dies at the end (which is my prediction). I see us gradually becoming more accepting that for it to come to its natural end, he had to die. The original reason for this business was to look after his family, the family he's alienated, so that's out the window. There can't really be a happy ending for Walt, and I'm not sure there should be.

Also, Adzz's post about the one scene being after the start of season 4 that he said he'd never forget, did we find out what that was? I'd imagine it's THE scene of the season 4 finale.

binary bot
Just rewatched the Skyler-Jesse dinner table scene, so well done - the drinking water gif is somewhere in this thread.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Scanned through a few pages of this thread, these caught my eye.

This. So much this. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I might take up Meth.

Definitely, the fact that he's becoming more and more evil and conscienceless will leave the audience less disappointed when he dies at the end (which is my prediction). I see us gradually becoming more accepting that for it to come to its natural end, he had to die. The original reason for this business was to look after his family, the family he's alienated, so that's out the window. There can't really be a happy ending for Walt, and I'm not sure there should be.

Also, Adzz's post about the one scene being after the start of season 4 that he said he'd never forget, did we find out what that was? I'd imagine it's THE scene of the season 4 finale.
This.....think Ill join you....how much longer now.......!!!

binary bot
Behind the scenes video of the remainder of the season; few slight hints at where it might go next.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Ah! That spoiler will tease me for months. Why would you do such a thing!?

binary bot
Nothing deliberate or big, just reading into the surroundings;

Police Car in the background suggests a police chase; Jesse is back involved with Saul which was obvious anyway

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Just started watching this, already near the end of Season 2. Brilliant TV.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I have just watched S1 of BB. It was Ok but I am not especially keen to seek out S2, does it get better?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Season 1 is shit in comparison to the rest of the seasons tbh, no wonder you're having second thoughts Jimy.I'd advise to be more as it just keeps on getting better and better from now there on

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah but that's only if he's seen the other season's to compare against. Season 1 was still excellent TV, but yeah it only gets better.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I don't get it, I saw that season and was compelled to watch more, not because I hoped it might get better, because it was incredible TV. It did mind, but that doesn't take away from how good Season 1 was. It was so much lighter as well, I rewatched everything a few weeks ago and loved seeing the differences between now and then.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I wasn't gripped by Season 1 either, it took me until Season 2 to get hooked on the show. When I re-watched it all I thought S1 was much better than S2 though.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Fair enough, I think I preferred it when watching back, but then I loved it when I originally saw it anyway, also because there was nothing else like Breaking Bad at the time. Either way, it definitely gets better Jimy, but if you really didn't enjoy Season 1 that much, it might not be all that different to you. Worth giving a go though as others feel differently and agree with you about Season 1, and now go on to call it one of the best shows ever.