Television Breaking Bad

kps88

I wasn't gripped by Season 1 either, it took me until Season 2 to get hooked on the show. When I re-watched it all I thought S1 was much better than S2 though.
Yep, exactly the same for me. Everyone I've suggested to also had trouble getting sucked in. It defies logic, considering the pilot is excellent.

Verminator

I thought season 1 had more humour in it. Very dark humour, which I liked.
It blossoms from there, possibly due to budget, trust from the network, familiarity.
From then it takes off, but that is only natural, as the characters were still living rather mundane lives to start with.
There are then plenty of occasions to come in later seasons, where I was left mulling over what I'd just seen, and the credits had already long finished. Some shocking moments.

Zen

I've been hit and miss from what I've got when recommending it to others....it's a slow starter for sure, but I love that slow start, love it on rewatches, loved it first time around. Some just give up after like 2 episodes though, and some somehow have marathoned it in like 4 days too.

It's one of the most accessible great shows I recommend though. Up there with The Sopranos for that I think.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Marie's shoplifting storyline pissed me off in Season 1. Other than that it was the bee's knees.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I find it pretty difficult to rate the seasons individually. Watched them all so quick that they just sort of meld into one big compilation of awesomeness. I don't remember thinking season 1 was anything other than top class, though. I was hooked straight from the offset.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I've blitzed this like a mofo in the last few weeks cuminating in almost the entirety of Season 4/5 this weekend.

Such brilliant writing and such fantastic characters.

I feel like Jesse has stagnated a bit since the end of season 4 and the book being in the bathroom struck me as totally out of character with how meticulous Walt has been in covering his tracks but minor quibbles really.

To turn him into the monster he now is, has been some achievement.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
As if I haven't entered this thread. Can't wait for the second half of the final season.

Genius Me!

I really want to watch it all again before the new episodes come out, the show is just that good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
and the book being in the bathroom struck me as totally out of character with how meticulous Walt has been in covering his tracks but minor quibbles really.
That's kind of the point though, he was bound to slip up eventually playing it the way he has.

Cina

Well there are also theories that

he did it on purpose because he was bored of the life he now had and wants the excitement again.

Cina

It makes sense to me.

Walt is far, far too meticulous to leave that just lying in his bathroom, I mean, why would he even have that book in the bathroom in the first place? We also had the nod back to the "Willy Wonka" scene between Hank and him so he clearly knows Hank would get the meaning of what was written in the book.

In my eyes Walt has gone way too far for redemption now and he knows it, so this is his way of continuing the whole Heisenberg saga.

Revan

Assumptionman
It makes sense to me.

Walt is far, far too meticulous to leave that just lying in his bathroom, I mean, why would he even have that book in the bathroom in the first place? We also had the nod back to the "Willy Wonka" scene between Hank and him so he clearly knows Hank would get the meaning of what was written in the book.

In my eyes Walt has gone way too far for redemption now and he knows it, so this is his way of continuing the whole Heisenberg saga.
It really makes a lot of sense.

I don't buy that much that Walts wasn't cautious after all the time we have seen him doing plans. In fact, why on Earth he didn't burned that book, after he had the 'Willy Wonka' conversation with Hank long ago.

Cina

Well he probably has it in the head that the cancer will come back eventually so instead of just sitting there waiting for it, he'll do what he does best now.

Liam147

On Probation
To be honest I see both of those theories as a bit far-fetched because both are neither here nor there.

Say he left it there deliberately, why would he hide it in his bathroom under magazines? He could leave it on top, or in a more obvious location.

Nor do I believe he's got careless. It's being really careless whilst not being brain dead.

The only think I can think of is he knew Hank would be going to the toilet for whatever reason, and didn't leave it on top because that would be too obvious to Hank. He's got to make him work for it, even just a little bit.

So yeah, feck this show.

Cina

The show has always taken a few liberties for dramatic effect though, it's not supposed to be overly realistic or plausible, I mean the basic concept itself is absurd!

Him poisoning the kid for example, it's never fully explained how he did it, we only knows bits and pieces, and it's very difficult to fathom how the feck he actually managed to pull it off so well.

I guess we're just meant to assume that Walt knows what Hank is like and that he reads shit whilst taking a ... shit.

Cina

Yeah no shit Shermod.

It's still a very difficult thing to achieve.

Drainy

So when he finds out he has cancer he starts cooking and selling meth to make sure he leaves his family with money, then because he thinks the cancer will come back he lets Hank know he is Heisenberg so the DEA can seize all his family's assets..

I just think he took some reading material to the toilet and got distracted after washing his hands, and over time the magazines covered it so he forgot all about it. It is in his home, so he was probably over-relaxed. It's not like he was hiding that from his family.

Ivor Ballokov

I still don't see why he'd leave it for hank to find, it's plausible enough it could have happened that way but I just can't figure out his motive for it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He got cocky. You saw him look at the book when he moved back in to his house and he just smiled and put it by his bed.

kps88

He got cocky. You saw him look at the book when he moved back in to his house and he just smiled and put it by his bed.
Yep. That scene explains it perfectly well.

His end game is to build an empire, no way he wants to get caught.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I doubt he would have left the book there deliberately. I'd go with Drainy that Walt might have accidently left the book there and forgotten all about it in the hullabaloo of Season 5.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Walt has made mistakes in the past, I'd have to rewatch it again but it probably just came down to carelessness. Skylar knows what he's upto so it makes no sense to hide it, it's his house and I doubt Walt Jr. would have made anything had he seen it. He probably just didn't expect Hank to find it, and I doubt he knew what he did whilst having a shit.

Genius Me!

Yeah agree with those who say it must have been a mistake. I definitely missed out on a load of things as I watched it all in one go, so am going to have to do that again and hopefully pick up on more things.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Another theory is that the book was from his ex Gretchen who it has been explained was called Gretchen Black before she married and took the Schwartz name. It was (Walter) White and (Gretchen) Black that made the company Gray Matter.

Whether that will be used as his "out" or whether it is from her but is a bad coincidence for Walt that it triggers Hanks epiphany or whether it won't be used at all remains to be seen.

Genius Me!

Another theory is that the book was from his ex Gretchen who it has been explained was called Gretchen Black before she married and took the Schwartz name. It was (Walter) White and (Gretchen) Black that made the company Gray Matter.

Whether that will be used as his "out" or whether it is from her but is a bad coincidence for Walt that it triggers Hanks epiphany or whether it won't be used at all remains to be seen.
I think it's safe to say after the first episode in the last series with him being alone in a diner on his birthday and loading the boot with guns that shit ain't gonna go down too well for him.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That theory is based on Hank telling Walt what he's found which I don't think will happen, more likely he'll start investigating him and trailing him and seeing how he works. It'd be a foolish move to make Walt alert.

I can see him telling Skylar though once he's learned a bit more.

Genius Me!

That theory is based on Hank telling Walt what he's found which I don't think will happen, more likely he'll start investigating him and trailing him and seeing how he works. It'd be a foolish move to make Walt alert.

I can see him telling Skylar though once he's learned a bit more.
Good point. It's exciting that Hank has finally got the upper hand over Walt now and that cliff hanger has to be as good as any cliff hanger I ever remember.

Genius Me!

I hope we see some deaths. We need a regular to die already!
Skylar? I'd be happy for that bitch to die, she's as annoying as Andrea in the walking dead. Plus she's a slut.

kps88

Skylar? I'd be happy for that bitch to die, she's as annoying as Andrea in the walking dead. Plus she's a slut.
Yeah I think someone close to Walt should die. I could be wrong, but so far all the deaths on the show have been beneficial to Walt. He deserves some suffering.

Drainy

It may be used as his out, but surely the hand writing is too similar to not be Gale?

Also, who spells 'favo(u)rite' and then 'honour'?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
While season 1 and 2 are very good, the show becomes great from the third season.
Funnily enough, I got hooked on season 2. I thought that S3 was inferior to S2. Tuco's ridiculous cousins made it seem a little bit comic strip.

Genius Me!

I got hooked from the moment he went into that first drug dealers house and announced himself with his homemade bomb that looked like meth. It started off so slow for me and I couldn't understand the hype, but after that moment I was gripped.

Genius Me!

I'm not over Mike dying yet
I forgot about that :( thanks for bringing that up and reminding me :(

Mike didn't deserve to die like that.

Edit: Probably best to have spoilered that as there are people that haven't seen it.