Breel Embolo | Signed for Schalke

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Got his debut in an injury crisis, much like Rashford. Scored and impressed much like Rashford. Then Mourinho panic bought bloody Adebayor to start instead of him. He had to leave to get a proper chance.

Morata is probably the perfect illustration of what would have happened to Rashford if we had Mourinho last season. After taking his chance, van Gaal kept playing him even after other strikers returned to fitness. In a very similar situation at Real with Morata Mourinho signed an experienced alternative despite Morata impressing when played.
First of all, Real wants result at all cost. 2ndly, Mourinho was not afforded the full control on transfer. 3rdly, looks how Morata turned out.

Who was the manager when Morata was sold, again? Did that manager want to sell Alonso and Di Maria, thus broke his winning formular then sign James Kroos, and shoehorn Bale in central area?

Rashford proved himself to be the best option for LVG after he's given the chance. Same with Martial quickly became our best attacking outlet in his first season. Look at Martial performance yesterday where he is not afforded the main guy status: he had the worst performance I ever seen. He was completely out of sync with the team. He tried to much by himself while tactically he's supposed to have a lesser role to Payet and Giroud and pick his moments better (big different to his role for United. This is where football tactic is not only formation, position like some people often think). It's a good lesson sooner or later. He will learn from that and that experience would help him in long run.

Thing is giving youth a chance is all good, but burdening young players on their debut professional season / first season in foreign league with the result of the team may do more harm long term than good. El Fenomenon Ronaldo, Owen, Kluivert (LVG's favorite) as primary example of players who was burdened with huge task at young age, ended up with shorter, injury riddled career.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's no need airbrush Mourinho's record with young players. We just need to hope he improves. He has bee briefing that he will build a young side. I think the club has made it a point.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
This lad was absolutely horrendous for Switzerland yesterday, really dreadful. If that was a standard performance then no thank you.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This lad was absolutely horrendous for Switzerland yesterday, really dreadful. If that was a standard performance then no thank you.
Yep he has plateaued already. Why even bother with signing any more youngsters? He is only 19 ffs. He will be inconsistent, he will go missing in games from time to time. That is expected.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Yep he has plateaued already. Why even bother with signing any more youngsters? He is only 19 ffs. He will be inconsistent, he will go missing in games from time to time. That is expected.
Alternatively, lets sign everybody under 20 that has kicked the ball in the right direction, ever.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Alternatively, lets sign everybody under 20 that has kicked the ball in the right direction, ever.
Well we aren't doing that either. From the looks of it we have gone after Mkhi. So we know what we want - a nice blend of youth and proven stars. At least we are trying to do that.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Well we aren't doing that either. From the looks of it we have gone after Mkhi. So we know what we want - a nice blend of youth and proven stars. At least we are trying to do that.
I am all for signing and developing youth players, but you misread my post. I was commenting on how bad he was yesterday, it wasn't a suggestion that we shouldn't sign him based an a 20 minute substitution appearance.

khoazany

There's no need airbrush Mourinho's record with young players. We just need to hope he improves. He has bee briefing that he will build a young side. I think the club has made it a point.
Abramovich also did brief Mourinho to try to get used more of the lads from their academies, and almost nothing happened but promises.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
£28m according to Kevin Palmer now. Place your bets for the first £40m claim!

rotherham_red

£28m according to Kevin Palmer now. Place your bets for the first £40m claim!

There's talk of our interest being mentioned in the Miki article in the Times, but not sure if that's legit or clickbait. Anyone with an account to verify?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Abramovich also did brief Mourinho to try to get used more of the lads from their academies, and almost nothing happened but promises.
While also threatening to sack him if he doesn't win every game. Can't have it both ways Roman.

Oyibo

Mama Biriam Deouff mark 2 ?:(

Terrible for us, leaves for cheap money and makes his mark elsewhere, then returns to the premiership with someone else at a high price...:mad:

Redo91

Completely agree. Martial was awful the other night too. Hopefully we can get £10 million for him in the summer when we decide to flog him off in the summer after that performance.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Ive always assumed they were emenalo signings.
Makes sense. Whitewash Mourinho and blame Emenalo.

You also assume Costa and Fabregas were Mourinho signings? Falcao another Emenalo and Matic a Mourinho signing?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Except that was not the case at all.
Yeah OK. Just like he didn't with ancelotti either.

Sure mourinho could have really forced a young player in somewhere, but none of them are clearly better than the first team players IMO. Lotus cheek has potential but he's far too raw to be a guaranteed starter.

AkaAkuma

Makes sense. Whitewash Mourinho and blame Emenalo.

You also assume Costa and Fabregas were Mourinho signings? Falcao another Emenalo and Matic a Mourinho signing?
I dont think Mourinho has had complete input into transfers there, djobodji (?), atsu, rahman dont strike me as Mourinho signings.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There's talk of our interest being mentioned in the Miki article in the Times, but not sure if that's legit or clickbait. Anyone with an account to verify?
Just a throwaway line at the end - "The new United manager is understood to be considering a move for Breel Embolo, 19, the FC Basel forward playing for Switzerland at Euro 2016"

rotherham_red

Just a throwaway line at the end - "The new United manager is understood to be considering a move for Breel Embolo, 19, the FC Basel forward playing for Switzerland at Euro 2016"
Thanks. It's still something that someone from the Times thinks there's something in this though. Gives me a little bit of muppeting hope :(

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Got his debut in an injury crisis, much like Rashford. Scored and impressed much like Rashford. Then Mourinho panic bought bloody Adebayor to start instead of him. He had to leave to get a proper chance.

Morata is probably the perfect illustration of what would have happened to Rashford if we had Mourinho last season. After taking his chance, van Gaal kept playing him even after other strikers returned to fitness. In a very similar situation at Real with Morata Mourinho signed an experienced alternative despite Morata impressing when played.
Van Gaal did the same thing with Borthwick Jackson though.

And he had arguarably out worst player in front of him in Rojo.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah OK. Just like he didn't with ancelotti either.

Sure mourinho could have really forced a young player in somewhere, but none of them are clearly better than the first team players IMO. Lotus cheek has potential but he's far too raw to be a guaranteed starter.
No, Ancelotti wasn't given time. Mourinho was.
I dont think Mourinho has had complete input into transfers there, djobodji (?), atsu, rahman dont strike me as Mourinho signings.
Neither does Fabregas. I like to think most signings were a collaborative effort. Papy was a panic buy after all our targets rejected us.

AkaAkuma

No, Ancelotti wasn't given time. Mourinho was.

Neither does Fabregas. I like to think most signings were a collaborative effort. Papy was a panic buy after all our targets rejected us.
I think some players he wanted, costa, others he was given what was available. I think Mourinhos first time at Chelsea is a bigger reflection on his transfer dealings than the last.

Miazga? There are too many random signings that suggest theres something else going on at Chelsea.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I think some players he wanted, costa, others he was given what was available. I think Mourinhos first time at Chelsea is a bigger reflection on his transfer dealings than the last.

Miazga? There are too many random signings that suggest theres something else going on at Chelsea.
Miazga was after Mourinho was sacked.

We have two signing strategies. Players for the first team squad and development players.

Salah, Costa, Luis, Fabregas, Pedro, Baba, Cuadrado, Willian, Falcao, Remy and Schurrle were all first team squad signings.

SomeRandomPerson

Do you think Jose had any control over transfers at Madrid? Come on now
By all accounts, Jose was given a lot more say over transfers than any Real manager before or since (except Zidane of course) I mean, just look back at Real's transfers over those 3 years, I can't think of any Galactico signings, or at least not in the way James, for example, was forced on Ancelotti or how the Benitez not picking Casemiro in the classico farce turned out. Real's transfers over those 3 years were generally quite considered and seemed like players Jose could work with.

That could, of course, all be lies but it was the narrative that the media were peddling at the time to show how well Jose has done in transfers to transform Madrid. A Real fan could probably clarify.

tartanbornandred

Van Gaal did the same thing with Borthwick Jackson though.

And he had arguarably out worst player in front of him in Rojo.
Bringing back in the more senior player when they return to fitness is not the same as signing a second rate player who would never otherwise be considered for your club.

redwar

I don't want to see this player in a United shirt.

• His first touch is amateur.
  • He looks like he can carry the ball fast forward, but he doesn't know what to do with it after reaching the final third.
  • His technique is generally awkward.
  • He is very raw for the price asked.
  • He reminds me of Kovacic, a player with physical style of play, but lacking in decisions and technique.
  • We need a real playmaker, a leader and if we can't find one in Carrick's, Schweinsteiger's, Rooney's or Schneiderlin, then we should buy a real playmaker, not one in the making (? one could wonder what kind of playmaker you can make out of a physical player)

Norris

We need a real playmaker, a leader and if we can't find one in Carrick's, Schweinsteiger's, Rooney's or Schneiderlin, then we should buy a real playmaker, not one in the making (? one could wonder what kind of playmaker you can make out of a physical player)
What ?? Who are you talking about ?

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
I don't want to see this player in a United shirt.

• His first touch is amateur.
  • He looks like he can carry the ball fast forward, but he doesn't know what to do with it after reaching the final third.
  • His technique is generally awkward.
  • He is very raw for the price asked.
  • He reminds me of Kovacic, a player with physical style of play, but lacking in decisions and technique.
  • We need a real playmaker, a leader and if we can't find one in Carrick's, Schweinsteiger's, Rooney's or Schneiderlin, then we should buy a real playmaker, not one in the making (? one could wonder what kind of playmaker you can make out of a physical player)
:boring::boring:

redwar

What ?? Who are you talking about ?
I'm saying

1. Our need is a playmaker
2. Even if Embolo turns good, which is difficult because of his technical deficiency, we need a playmaker now.
3. So, we should buy a playmaker, not Embolo.
4. If we don't buy a playmaker then we should use Rooney, Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger as playmaker and see how this works out.

Norris

I'm saying

2. Even if Embolo turns good, which is difficult because of his technical deficiency, we need a playmaker now.
4. If we don't buy a playmaker then we should use Rooney, Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger as playmaker and see how this works out.
What are you on about ?

1. Embolo is a winger. Comparing him to centre midfielders makes the least bit of sense to me. Constantly referring him as a playmaker even less so, since we are not playing FM here.
2. I guess you didn't open the horde of threads on midfielders like Gomes, Pogba, Mkhi etc, the club it seems is bringing in a midfielder as well.
3. erm, never mind. You just like repeating the same thing in a different style, much like a playmaker.
4. Refer Point no 3.

Devil may care

I'm saying

What does any of this have to do with a 19 year old striker who also plays on the wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.