Breel Embolo | Signed for Schalke

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwar

What does any of this have to do with a 19 year old striker who also plays on the wing?
People say he is a winger. The stats in transfermarkt and whoscore say he played as a winger.
Unfortunately, every time I watched him, he was closer to the middle of the park. And he carried the ball through the middle. He really reminded me of Kovacic.

Most possibly I am wrong, cause I have watched him only two times.

3KDré

I'm saying

1. Our need is a playmaker
2. Even if Embolo turns good, which is difficult because of his technical deficiency, we need a playmaker now.
3. So, we should buy a playmaker, not Embolo.
4. If we don't buy a playmaker then we should use Rooney, Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger as playmaker and see how this works out.
Or, you know, just buy said playmaker AND Embolo?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is he supposed to be some sort of right sided player/striker? Aren't we also meant to be after that mikytarian for the right hand side as well? Let's say hypothetically come the end of the summer we have both of them how would we set up? I haven't really watched much of either of them to be honest. Apparently Miky can play behind the striker though so would I be right in thinking it would be something like
St:Presumably Ibra Lm:Martial ss:Miky Rm:Embolo
Or is Embolo more of a signing for the future and he'll spend most of his time coming off the bench with Rashford for now.
Is he as good as Rashford?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He's nowhere near good enough to be a starter at a club like United at the moment.

He's a role of the dice player. One for the future that could become a superstar.

CM

I really prefer Mkhitaryan and Berardi over Embolo. I can't see what others see in Embolo. I see him as a very raw, almost amateur player.
Those seem like some fairly sweeping statements considering you've only seen him play twice and weren't even able to correctly identify the position he plays.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
He's a project player, he's quick and he can dribble but his decision making is generally not too good by the looks of it. Given you already have Martial and Rashford it'd be a bit of an odd transfer and one of the 3 is likely to suffer. Maybe not but it's likely. Then you have to ask who gets shown the door? Mata? Depay? Lingard? Rooney?

I'm out of the loop but is Ibrah likely to join too? I suppose you need allot of pace surrounding him because he doesn't offer that himself so it makes sense from that perspective to have Martial and another on the wings.

redwar

Those seem like some fairly sweeping statements considering you've only seen him play twice and weren't even able to correctly identify the position he plays.
So what?
I say even if he plays as a right winger, he is not the right choice for us. There are better players out there.

But if he really is a free role player, starting from the right wing, pleas NO. Very very raw.

CM

So what?
I say even if he plays as a right winger, he is not the right choice for us. There are better players out there.

But if he really is a free role player, starting from the right wing, pleas NO. Very very raw.
So I don't understand how you can make those definitive judgements on the evidence of such a small selection of games.

I tend to agree Embolo looks quite raw but he's also quick and physically imposing for a player of his age. I think he'd be useful in a counter attacking set-up. Mkhitaryan is obviously the safer bet though and would be my preference.

redwar

So I don't understand how you can make those definitive judgements on the evidence of such a small selection of games.

I tend to agree Embolo looks quite raw but he's also quick and physically imposing for a player of his age. I think he'd be useful in a counter attacking set-up. Mkhitaryan is obviously the safer bet though and would be my preference.

We agree in most of what you ve just written. I 'd like to see more Januzajs, Raschfords, Pogbas and even Pereiras rather than overpaid Fellainis, Embolos et al.
If we are to buy somebody, it should be proven quality. Mkhitaryan is proven. And even Berardi has played in a more competitive league.

I am no definitive, he is the one who is raw. It's more than obvious to anyone.

Hans Moleman

Yes, Embolo is very raw. Most young players are very raw. Should we not take a chance on youth players now? I seem to recall everyone moaning Jose would just sign 27-30 year olds and our famous youth traditions would go out of the window, now we've got people who only want established stars. He can't seem to win, and he's not even managed a game yet.

Womp

idiot
I've watched Embolo a few times and he has been very underwhelming, granted even though the times I watched him play I didn't pay much attention to him specifically.

He looks the type of player who could be useful against certain teams, ala a raw version of Mane, but who at the same time doesn't have the technical ability to be able to consistently be a menace to some of the better teams. Anyone who has watched him more often care to provide more insight? Really want to get hyped for this transfer but as of now Ounas looks a talent with a much higher ceiling, both in terms of talent and style.

Obiorahking_

I can't get hyped about this guy either. Haven't seen him play enough to pass judgement, but at the moment he isn't what we need right now.

Devil may care

Yes, Embolo is very raw. Most young players are very raw. Should we not take a chance on youth players now? I seem to recall everyone moaning Jose would just sign 27-30 year olds and our famous youth traditions would go out of the window, now we've got people who only want established stars. He can't seem to win, and he's not even managed a game yet.
I think people were more concerned about him developing our academy youngsters, not whether he'd plonk down £30M on someone else's raw teenager.

Tarrou

Why would some people on a forum having opposing opinions mean Jose can't win?

the hea

If someone had only watched him and Martial for the last 2 games they wouldn't be able to say who was the better player, non of them have shown anything special so far at the Euros. That doesn't mean they are bad players or not talented enough, young players go through rough patches especially when they are coming back from an injury like Embolo is. Making a judgement if a player is good enough or not based on such a small sample size would be just stupid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can't get hyped about this guy either. Haven't seen him play enough to pass judgement, but at the moment he isn't what we need right now.
How is a right sider wide player/striker with pace and power not what we need? Thats exactly what we need. More pace, strength and someone on the right is what we need in our team and what he provides. Sure we need more experience at the moment, but young players with potential shouldn't be ignored as well. We needed a pretty big overhaul of our attack and Embolo would be a good option for one of those. Not necessarily as a starter from the off, but with the potential to turn into one.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's strong, quick and has done well for basel. Can't say i care what he does at the Euros. Clubs have scouted these players. I hadn't heard of Martial and if his performances at the Euros were important - I'd say he was rubbish. If players settle - and it is easier at United with so many youung lads - the sky is the limit. So we have to trust the club scouts.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watched this guy a limited amount of times but feels like hes a cross between Heskey and a Valencia. What he lacks in football iq he makes up in physicality. If Jose can up the decision making and add a bit knowledge and thought then we will have a beast of a player. If not we will have a frustrating lump of wood.

Tarrou

Win over fans, not matches :lol:
Yeah, that's what I meant. On any given issue/decision there will be fans who have a different opinion, that goes for any club and any manager. It doesn't matter how obvious the decision is, someone will disagree with it, right? That doesn't mean the manager can't win them over, generally speaking if managers win matches, fans will be happy. But there will always be a % who moan, that's life.

red thru&thru

Agreed. There would be a meltdown if we bought Martial after these Euro's. For me, there has been no one stand out player in the Euro's. Payet is the only real standout.

Also let's not forget, we have bought players after a good tournament and they flopped...Kleberson and Paborski spring to mind.

He's strong, quick and has done well for basel. Can't say i care what he does at the Euros. Clubs have scouted these players. I hadn't heard of Martial and if his performances at the Euros were important - I'd say he was rubbish. If players settle - and it is easier at United with so many youung lads - the sky is the limit. So we have to trust the club scouts.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Hope he starts up front for the Swiss tonight. He is bound to be better than the plank they have started with in their other outings.

rotherham_red

Di Marzio reporting this now too, there's definitely something in this and I for one want this deal to happen. Think it will give us loads of options going forward, and adds a lot of flexibility to our forward line in the long-term.

Morpheus 7

Has anyone watched him play last season? I'm just curious, I can't judge anyone from you tube or limited time on the pitch for the Swiss.My first impression that he's very raw but is quick and powerful. I would prefer to buy a more experienced player, it's getting the mix right for me, it's an interesting one.If anyone watched him last season, I would be really interested to hear there opinion?

the hea

Has anyone watched him play last season? I'm just curious, I can't judge anyone from you tube or limited time on the pitch for the Swiss.My first impression that he's very raw but is quick and powerful. I would prefer to buy a more experienced player, it's getting the mix right for me, it's an interesting one.If anyone watched him last season, I would be really interested to hear there opinion?
If we get Zlatan, Mhkitaryan, Embolo and Ounas we would get 2 experienced and 2 up and coming players. I think that would be as good as can be expected and a real improvement to our attack compared to last season.

Morpheus 7

If we get Zlatan, Mhkitaryan, Embolo and Ounas we would get 2 experienced and 2 up and coming players. I think that would be as good as can be expected and a real improvement to our attack compared to last season.
It definitely would strengthen it, I agree. I would really like to see Andreas Pereira get a shot. I think he's overlooked and never got the same opportunities as some of the other younger player's under lvg. I'm just a little worried about two many young players stifling the ones we have. I also would like to give Memphis Depay a chance this season.

Obiorahking_

How is a right sider wide player/striker with pace and power not what we need? Thats exactly what we need. More pace, strength and someone on the right is what we need in our team and what he provides. Sure we need more experience at the moment, but young players with potential shouldn't be ignored as well. We needed a pretty big overhaul of our attack and Embolo would be a good option for one of those. Not necessarily as a starter from the off, but with the potential to turn into one.
Sure. I would have preferred more continuity with Lingard seeing as he has done enough for a backup role.

JON.B

Sloop
Looks quick and powerful but doesn't strike me as being all that intelligent in his overall play. I know he's young but he looks inferior to Rashford who's even younger so I'm not sure what to make of him if we decide to do a deal.

Leonard17

We need a proven player on the RW who can come in and make an instant impact. Embolo clearly isn't from what I have read.
What you've read rather than what you've seen? Don't know how you can come to that conclusion without watching yourself.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We need a proven player on the RW who can come in and make an instant impact. Embolo clearly isn't from what I have read.
You never know with young players and the impact they can have. Did anyone here think Martial was going to have the impact he did? No but he was our best player last season. He wasn't a world beater at Monaco either but he took his chances and now everyone is raving about him. Maybe Embolo could have a similar impact either next season or even two seasons from now.

kenny19

Di marzio now tweeting we are in for him. It would be sad if we are buying him for the striker role. I hope he can play right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.