Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mind you, she always was anti-establishment.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I wonder if these idiots somehow think the EU compels us to take quotas in these countries? Who knows.

It reminds of a BNP (I think) election flyer we got through the door years ago that said something like 'It isn't just Asians and Africans we want to go home to their own countries, we also want Eastern Europeans to go too.' Equal opportunities racists, hating some whites as much as people of other hues!
They definitely think the EU compels us to take quotas in these countries.

Unless that was the point of the post.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
They definitely think the EU compels us to take quotas in these countries.

Unless that was the point of the post.
There isn't a quota of refugees per country (and I am all up to get them all)?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Textbook gammon.

'Let’s get back to gallons, ounces and yards' says Grantham reader

Letter

Right, let’s get back to some normality. Petrol in gallons, crisps in ounces not grams and carpet in yards.

Fire-doors labeled ‘exit’ and not a stupid green running man, temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, beer cans in pints not litres, apples in pounds not kilos and our passports back to colour blue.

On TV quiz shows youngsters still can’t differentiate between millimetres, centimetres, grams, kilograms or kilometres.

When Napolean introduced the metric system in1791 it was for the French, not us islanders who already had a better system.

Thank God we didn’t adopt the Euro and driving on the right.Now the Reds are back under the bed the country can reboot itself towards a self- confident independence like we used to enjoy.

The EU was becoming a normality for our country. Just imagine if Jeremy Corbyn had become our country’s terrifying normality; our grandkids would never have forgiven us.

Interestingly, the Oxford Thesaurus of English defines insanity as the opposite of normality.

Rod Hatherill

Lodge Way, Grantham

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/n...rZNNNHDyw-4utH3KH2iKqKvMYWuBgwXHsKCjAx4bO3qfk

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Textbook gammon.

Letter

Right, let’s get back to some normality. Petrol in gallons, crisps in ounces not grams and carpet in yards.

Fire-doors labeled ‘exit’ and not a stupid green running man, temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, beer cans in pints not litres, apples in pounds not kilos and our passports back to colour blue.

On TV quiz shows youngsters still can’t differentiate between millimetres, centimetres, grams, kilograms or kilometres.

When Napolean introduced the metric system in1791 it was for the French, not us islanders who already had a better system.

Thank God we didn’t adopt the Euro and driving on the right.Now the Reds are back under the bed the country can reboot itself towards a self- confident independence like we used to enjoy.

The EU was becoming a normality for our country. Just imagine if Jeremy Corbyn had become our country’s terrifying normality; our grandkids would never have forgiven us.

Interestingly, the Oxford Thesaurus of English defines insanity as the opposite of normality.

Rod Hatherill

Lodge Way, Grantham

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/n...rZNNNHDyw-4utH3KH2iKqKvMYWuBgwXHsKCjAx4bO3qfk
IQ vampire of a post.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Textbook gammon.

Letter

Rod Hatherill

Lodge Way, Grantham

What's wrong with the current system?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What's wrong with the current system?
Boomers still don’t understand it and it’s foreign innit.

On a serious note, switching back to imperial measurements would be such a disaster. Metrification happened in the UK nearly 60 years ago so theres only a very small minority left who actually experienced it and were taught it growing up.

I‘d wager that the majority of the gammons who bleat on about it wouldn’t have the first clue how much a gallon is in real terms nor would they be able to explain how many ounces in a stone. If you told them that they were going to pay £5.76 a gallon for Diesel they’d shit the bed.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
I still think in imperial measurements. I have no idea how many kilos i weigh unless i get on the scales, i do however know hiw many pounds in a kilo, how many ounces in a pound, how many pounds in a stone, furlongs, chains and feet.

NinjaFletch

Textbook gammon.

Letter

Rod Hatherill

Lodge Way, Grantham

Well that's triggered my PTSD from Christmas Dinner conversations from my Brexity grandparents...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Regarding metric / Imperial I wouldn't mind seeing things double labeled
Keeps both sides happy and USA still use non metric measurements so eople having that in mind is no bad thing (that said still ton / tonne and gallons are not the same)

I would like to think that the inevitable economic upheaval and removing the right to live and work in 26 other countries for Millions of UK citizens comes down to a bit more than units of measurement

I always tell my estimators to tripple check anything we quote in the states because if NASA can balls it up we certainly can

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

On a serious note, switching back to imperial measurements would be such a disaster. Metrification happened in the UK nearly 60 years ago so theres only a very small minority left who actually experienced it and were taught it growing up.

I‘d wager that the majority of the gammons who bleat on about it wouldn’t have the first clue how much a gallon is in real terms nor would they be able to explain how many ounces in a stone. If you told them that they were going to pay £5.76 a gallon for Diesel they’d shit the bed.
More like £6.50 for a gallon because you can bet that stations would take the opportunity to raise prices amidst all the confusion.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
dont forget the pound will probably have tanked by then as well - lets call it £8 a gallon - a pound a pint - simple
Yep. Plus tax. So that's £12 a gallon.

fecking £12 a gallon...Christ.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Gammons want their egg and chips. No French restaurants after Brexit.

Well, we won’t be coming back to Eastbourne then

LETTER BY A READER

Published: 10:05 Tuesday 24 December
Cemetery Road
Sheffield

I’ve recently been to Eastbourne with my friends for an off-season break, when prices are a bit cheaper.

We’re all of an age when we hope things will stay more or less the same as before.

We like to have a good time and call ourselves ‘us girls,’- though none of us will see 70 again!

We thought we’d take a look at the new Wish Tower Café which has just been built.

The previous, temporary one had been alright but it got a bit crowded due to lack of space.
We thought the new one would be much better.

Dear me!

It was nothing like we imagined it would be or anything like the Wish Tower Café we knew and loved.

Instead it was what I can only describe as a lardy-dardy posh nosh establishment for those with a bit of cash to spare.

Us girls took one look at it and knew it was not for the likes of us, nor for ordinary working class families, people who just want a coffee and a sandwich or a nice plate of egg and chips.

Many people will be put off by seeing a cocktail bar, French signs and fancy food at high prices when all they want is a nice cup of tea and a slab of fruit cake.

Us girls piled through the door marked ‘privee’, thinking it was the toilet, so what’s wrong with English world ‘toilet’!

My friends and I must say with sadness that we will not be coming to Eastbourne again.
The town’s new style café makes us feel unwelcome here.
I’m sure many people will feel the same as we do.

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/...3VYhIibkJWy0gmajJjh4f0QeA_tA83S4L8B_6vMMhF_ng

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Textbook gammon.

Letter

Rod Hatherill

Lodge Way, Grantham

This is almost as bad as some guy in a video in a pub in the UK and of course good old Uncle Nigel F. was there and the guy interviewed said that after Brexit the UK could start up the British Empire again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This is almost as bad as some guy in a video in a pub in the UK and of course good old Uncle Nigel F. was there and the guy interviewed said that after Brexit the UK could start up the British Empire again.

Why stop there.
Why not go back to Victorian times when we had Workhouses, Poorhouses, no NHS or Welfare State and when we sent little boys to sweep chimneys, from the inside.
Good old days....

SteveJ

Scout
That letter reads like a Maureen Lipman spoof.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Why stop there.
Why not go back to Victorian times when we had Workhouses, Poorhouses, no NHS or Welfare State and when we sent little boys to sweep chimneys, from the inside.
Good old days....
I am actually glad I live and work in Germany, fine will need a new Permanent Residency Permit when Brexit is over despite having had one before the changes made in the early 2000´s regarding no longer need ing one due to the EU.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

LETTER BY A READER

Cemetery Road
Sheffield

I’ve recently been to Eastbourne with my friends for an off-season break, when prices are a bit cheaper.

We’re all of an age when we hope things will stay more or less the same as before.

We like to have a good time and call ourselves ‘us girls,’- though none of us will see 70 again!

We thought we’d take a look at the new Wish Tower Café which has just been built.

The previous, temporary one had been alright but it got a bit crowded due to lack of space.

Dear me!

It was nothing like we imagined it would be or anything like the Wish Tower Café we knew and loved.

Instead it was what I can only describe as a lardy-dardy posh nosh establishment for those with a bit of cash to spare.

Us girls took one look at it and knew it was not for the likes of us, nor for ordinary working class families, people who just want a coffee and a sandwich or a nice plate of egg and chips.

Many people will be put off by seeing a cocktail bar, French signs and fancy food at high prices when all they want is a nice cup of tea and a slab of fruit cake.

Us girls piled through the door marked ‘privee’, thinking it was the toilet, so what’s wrong with English world ‘toilet’!

My friends and I must say with sadness that we will not be coming to Eastbourne again.

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/...3VYhIibkJWy0gmajJjh4f0QeA_tA83S4L8B_6vMMhF_ng
The word toilet is derived from the French word toilette, so she's a fecking idiot anyway.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

LETTER BY A READER

Cemetery Road
Sheffield

Dear me!

I was actually buying it right up until the ‘privee’ part. Definitely spoof.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Are you sure you wanted to expose that you knew that?
:) Ah, The Ogdens, Eddie Yates, Bet Lynch, genuinely top comedy in those days! The drama side was shit of course.

As for the letter 'writer' it is the sort of nom de plume I use myself, although I favour fish-based ones in general, TS Halibut and so on.

SteveJ

Scout

"Us girls piled through the door marked ‘privee’, thinking it was the toilet, so I said 'What’s wrong with English world ‘toilet’?' What did I say, Roy?"

"She said 'I hope they don't expect us to pee on our privates'."

Dante

Average bang
I watched this video about Johnson's Brexit plan:

(Great channel, for what it's worth. Well worth a subscription, imo.)

What are people thoughts on:
1. How accurately this reflects the Tory plan for post-Brexit Britain?
2. How likely it is to succeed?

Although I've been staunchly Remain the last few years, I'm rooting for the government to make Leave work. No sense in cutting off our nose to spite our face.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I watched this video about Johnson's Brexit plan:

(Great channel, for what it's worth. Well worth a subscription, imo.)

What are people thoughts on:
1. How accurately this reflects the Tory plan for post-Brexit Britain?
2. How likely it is to succeed?

Although I've been staunchly Remain the last few years, I'm rooting for the government to make Leave work. No sense in cutting off our nose to spite our face.
1. Free ports are something that have been mentioned for a long time (I think Boris suggested 6) so I'm sure it will be part of a plan
2. As to how successful they will be the video seemed to suggest these were intended more as a short term turbo boost whilst more comprehensive trade agreements were reached and in that respect I think they would not be a huge success... I don't think there are 6 ports in the UK with huge spare capacity and the work required to design and build the additional capacity would take years... Equally designing and building factories and additional infrastructure (roads power networks housing schools etc) would take even more years ... As such my gut feel is that they will be of limited effect in the short term (which is supposedly what they were needed for)

As an example it took 10 years from canary wharf being granted special economic status to the first building being completed ... And another 4 years or so for it to really be viable as an area ... And that's a relatively condenced area in one of the world's largest cities

China has made huge successes of this type of area but traditionally it's in more rural areas and starting with big infra builds (new ports etc)... Which does not seem to be the model... I'm skeptical the plans outlined can deliver anything tangible in the short term ... but perhaps my remaniac tinted glasses cloud my view

Last edited: