Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Classical Mechanic

Difficult to motivate myself to post here since the election. Everything that's happening now was entirely predictable given the result.

None of these are for sure though are they? I mean house prices have been dipping recently, due to people not buying because of the uncertainty. But with demand outstripping supply and the housing shortage only increasing, the prices will surely follow sooner rather than later unless an issue of mortgage availability arises. And Tories controlling immigration doesn't mean they'll reduce it, given how thirsty business is for workers at the moment with the unemployment figures in their lowest since 1975. They've dropped the targets of lowering immigration from their manifesto under BoJo. Their issue now is "controlling it" with points based visa system etc.

As for businesses, it all depends on a number of variables not yet fixed. Like what deal will be struck with the EU. Or what kind of regulatory framework the UK will be under in the next few years. What will happen to corporation tax. Etc. Etc. If BoJo signs a deal with the EU, delivers the deregulation certain sectors crave for, simplifies the visa system to ease workforce constraints placed by Brexit and cuts corproration tax.. then business could well flourish.
My guess is that we'll end up with a loose trade agreement by the end of the transition period and will walk away on Boris's deadline. In 2021 The Tories will start to go about turning the country into a low tax and low regulation economy. The UK will do well economically but the gap between the haves and have nots will continue to grow as public services decline. The only curious issue is what happens with the NHS because Boris seems to believe that its health is the key to him winning the next election. I think the Tories will manoeuvre to deepen the cultures wars that have won Brexit and this election, this will be their key to getting enough of the population to vote against their interests again to keep them in power.

I think the middle to higher-end of the housing market will stall, not cheap property as first-time buyer properties will always sell. Job security will be a concern for a lot of people, and unless you have to sell because of one of the three Ds (death, divorce or debt), families will surely be more likely to wait and see.
It's driven geographically a lot too. There was a correction in London and the South East after the referendum which affects the overall picture but in the North West house prices have continued to go up. My property has increased by about least 25% since I bought only a couple of years ago. I've been amazed at the prices some of the houses have been going for on my street. Prices in the Manchester and Yorkshire are forecast to rise by another 25% in the next 5 years as well. Manchester is the fastest growing City in Europe by crane count currently so I think that's driving it a lot. The Sheikh's investment in the City centre has played a part also. For Manchester city I think it will continue to grow and change pretty much at the rate it has been doing in recent years. Although it does feel like a bubble with a lot of foreign investor properties, I think it will be well placed to prosper under the low tax & regulation economy that Boris will inevitably create.

https://www.buyassociation.co.uk/20...forecast-to-see-strongest-house-price-growth/

Alias
Reading this forum - which is very anti-Brexit and anti-conservative - makes me realise how disconnected it is from the wider population. Such a massive disparity as, in reality, the majority of the country are the opposite.

Fingeredmouse

Reading this forum - which is very anti-Brexit and anti-conservative - makes me realise how disconnected it is from the wider population. Such a massive disparity as, in reality, the majority of the country are the opposite.
Why would you expect a football sub forum to be representative of the UK population?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Ignoring all the demographics and everything else that goes into the make up of the forum. It is worth noting that this forum requires some form of qualification to post here regularly which the wider population does not.

One of the great things about this place is 99% of the posts are in coherent sentences and you can see some great debates between people. I know I take it for granted that when I look at youtube or reddit comments and am a bit thrown by the standard of what's acceptable there. So yes this forum is disconnected from the wider population and probably better for it.

Alias
Ignoring all the demographics and everything else that goes into the make up of the forum. It is worth noting that this forum requires some form of qualification to post here regularly which the wider population does not.

One of the great things about this place is 99% of the posts are in coherent sentences and you can see some great debates between people. I know I take it for granted that when I look at youtube or reddit comments and am a bit thrown by the standard of what's acceptable there. So yes this forum is disconnected from the wider population and probably better for it.
The vast majority of the country voted for the Conservatives - and, thus, Brexit - in this latest election. Does that mean that all those people aren't intelligent?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The vast majority of the country voted for the Conservatives - and, thus, Brexit - in this latest election. Does that mean that all those people aren't intelligent?
Not all of the forum is anti-Conservative and anti-Brexit. Are you accusing them of not being intelligent?

Also since when did 43% count as the vast majority?!

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not all of the forum is anti-Conservative and anti-Brexit. Are you accusing them of not being intelligent?

Also since when did 43% count as the vast majority?!
In fairness, you dont need to look far in this thread (or others) to see that anyone who is pro-conservative is typically pounced on and e-ganglynched.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am so fed up of having to pretend that the reason the Tories won and Brexit is happening isn’t because as a nation we are full of illiterate idiots.

I mean, we all know it. Look at the racism that is becoming increasingly prevalent. Look at the level of discourse and nonsense peddled by The Sun. Look at Tories literally saying “we are fed up of experts.”

I grew up in a shithole area. An area that has been properly fecked by cuts to education and access to local services. The people here ARE THICK. It is not their fault, it is not something I’m happy with. But they are quite clearly thick. And as such they all post fake news, all believe in absolutely mental conspiracy theories and all voted Boris Johnson.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Feck it at this point.

Not much that can be done, bring on Mad Max Britain and the fighting pits.

At least we won't have to hear about it every five seconds in the news, hopefully. Sick to the back teeth of hearing the word Brexit.
Is it wrong to feel schadenfreude when the people that will be hit hardest will be the poor from middle England...that actually wanted to gerronwivthis? :(

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My bad. I must have mis-interpreted the results of both the referrendum and the election...
What we're trying to say, in all respect, is we've become like America. Just need the MUKGA caps to complete this marvelous democracy that we live in. I'll wear one, might as well.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I am so fed up of having to pretend that the reason the Tories won and Brexit is happening isn’t because as a nation we are full of illiterate idiots.

I mean, we all know it. Look at the racism that is becoming increasingly prevalent. Look at the level of discourse and nonsense peddled by The Sun. Look at Tories literally saying “we are fed up of experts.”

I grew up in a shithole area. An area that has been properly fecked by cuts to education and access to local services. The people here ARE THICK. It is not their fault, it is not something I’m happy with. But they are quite clearly thick. And as such they all post fake news, all believe in absolutely mental conspiracy theories and all voted Boris Johnson.
It’s an uncomfortable thing to say, and I don’t feel equipped to agree or disagree with this.

However, cute to education obviously lead to this, the less educated we are as a nation the less intelligent we will be, I just hope that education gets the funding the country needs. It’s all very 1984, keep the nation thick so they don’t question you.

Dante

Average bang

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/uk-...1-snp-48-other-23-tory-majority-of-80.450424/

51.4% favoured Labour.

Given the age demographics of Redcafe that's to be expected, since the majority are probably 25-34.

Also, Manchester is very left leaning city. 70% voted Labour in the city centre. The local council has 92 Labour seats, 3 Lib Dem seats and 0 Conservative seats. The likes of Karl Marx and Engels have both lived here. Emeline Pankhurst came from Manchester. And on top of that, the political split between City and United is *generally* right vs. left. City got bought by a bunch of arch-Capitalists and the fans rejoiced. United fans reacted with protests and FCUM.

Finally, Manchester United is the archetypal global club. Of course the fans are going to be cosmopolitan in their views, and Europhile in their politics.

To sum up, this is a young forum for an internationalist, left wing club based out of a left wing city.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It has been brought up a few times. We're not the only forum like that though. Even with the election, forums like the Everton and Liverpool ones were anti-Conservative also, and if you look at the colour coded maps for both the referendum and the election, you'll notice that the Manchester/Liverpool related constituencies on the whole match up with anti-Brexit and anti-Conservative. Yes, a lot on here aren't from Manchester, but the demographic lines up like Dante has said above.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's also a bit weird being racist on a forum full of members from all over the world.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
My bad. I must have mis-interpreted the results of both the referrendum and the election...
You can interpret the results any way you like. What you can't do is make the factually incorrect statement that "the majority of the country voted for the Conservatives - and thus Brexit, in this latest election" without expecting it to be challenged.

It's wrong on two levels.

Firstly, the majority of the voting electorate (I will assume this is what you meant by "the country") didn't vote for anyone. That's 16m of the electorate who didn't vote in this election. The Tories got £13m votes. Just under 30% of the popular vote based on the number of registered voters. No where near a majority of anything.

Secondly, you extrapolate this to conclude that the majority of the country voted for Brexit in this election. I can use the same argument as above to refute this but I don't need to because even if we only use the total numbers from people that voted, the combined total of votes for the Tories, UKIP and the Brexit Party is still less than the total of all the other parties when tallied together. Again, this shows no clear majority for Brexit no matter how much you might think it does.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You can interpret the results any way you like. What you can't do is make the factually incorrect statement that "the majority of the country voted for the Conservatives - and thus Brexit, in this latest election" without expecting it to be challenged.

It's wrong on two levels.

Firstly, the majority of the voting electorate (I will assume this is what you meant by "the country") didn't vote for anyone. That's 16m of the electorate who didn't vote in this election. The Tories got £13m votes. Just under 30% of the popular vote based on the number of registered voters. No where near a majority of anything.

Secondly, you extrapolate this to conclude that the majority of the country voted for Brexit in this election. I can use the same argument as above to refute this but I don't need to because even if we only use the total numbers from people that voted, the combined total of votes for the Tories, UKIP and the Brexit Party is still less than the total of all the other parties when tallied together. Again, this shows no clear majority for Brexit no matter how much you might think it does.
Even if everyone who voted Tory voted for Brexit couldn't it then be argued that more people voted for anti Brexit/second referendum parties combined?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah that's kinda what I was saying (but probably not being very clear about it).
Tbf I probably failed to pick up on it because the majority of my brain cells voted for Vodka on Friday and thus Br(ain)exit is still ongoing.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It’s an uncomfortable thing to say, and I don’t feel equipped to agree or disagree with this.

However, cute to education obviously lead to this, the less educated we are as a nation the less intelligent we will be, I just hope that education gets the funding the country needs. It’s all very 1984, keep the nation thick so they don’t question you.
We have to accept it as a nation.

Just look at the news and what is happening. You have to be wilfully ignorant or extremely away from the 'average' day in Britain to be unable to see how racism, xenophobia and hatred is on the rise.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Is it wrong to feel schadenfreude when the people that will be hit hardest will be the poor from middle England...that actually wanted to gerronwivthis? :(
Absolutely not, schadenfreude will never feel so good, in part because it's all we'll have.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Just look at the news and what is happening. You have to be wilfully ignorant or extremely away from the 'average' day in Britain to be unable to see how racism, xenophobia and hatred is on the rise.
I think it has always been there, under the surface, it's just that people have been less confident to express it recently. They certainly had no trouble expressing their views up to the 80s.

Odd thing is the racism being directed at football players with darker skin, when you would have thought the ire would be directed at Europeans. Or something like that.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
So realistically how long do I have to buy my house in Italy as an EU citizen and enjoy free movement?
@Grinner, just saw this - you have the next year. In that time, you need to get residency. You don't need to buy a house before you apply, you can be a renter. We don't keep free movement though - just the right to live in Italy all the time.

UK driving licence needs to be swapped for an Italian one, too. After Brexit you'd have to do the test, and it's only offered in Italian.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@Grinner, just saw this - you have the next year. In that time, you need to get residency. You don't need to buy a house before you apply, you can be a renter. We don't keep free movement though - just the right to live in Italy all the time.

UK driving licence needs to be swapped for an Italian one, too. After Brexit you'd have to do the test, and it's only offered in Italian.
Wow how have they got so many restrictions while remaining in the EU? Old Nige said that was impossible.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think it has always been there, under the surface, it's just that people have been less confident to express it recently. They certainly had no trouble expressing their views up to the 80s.

Odd thing is the racism being directed at football players with darker skin, when you would have thought the ire would be directed at Europeans. Or something like that.
There are people who think that Brexit will result in British people of Asian heritage being deported. That rant against Baroness Warsi that was posted here yesterday is a great example of the level of ignorance.

If we have Brits who think that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are in Europe, well .....

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
There are people who think that Brexit will result in British people of Asian heritage being deported. That rant against Baroness Warsi that was posted here yesterday is a great example of the level of ignorance.

If we have Brits who think that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are in Europe, well .....
I wonder if these idiots somehow think the EU compels us to take quotas in these countries? Who knows.

It reminds of a BNP (I think) election flyer we got through the door years ago that said something like 'It isn't just Asians and Africans we want to go home to their own countries, we also want Eastern Europeans to go too.' Equal opportunities racists, hating some whites as much as people of other hues!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Not just in the UK by the way.
Brexit has been and is a factor but social media is another contributor.

NWRed

I wonder if these idiots somehow think the EU compels us to take quotas in these countries? Who knows.

It reminds of a BNP (I think) election flyer we got through the door years ago that said something like 'It isn't just Asians and Africans we want to go home to their own countries, we also want Eastern Europeans to go too.' Equal opportunities racists, hating some whites as much as people of other hues!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
How Brexit Happened:
Twitter said:
Wearing a beret in London: Nobody cares
Wearing a beret in Sunderland: Somebody yelled out of a car 'bonjour!'
A woman once asked me to look at her poorly dog for her when I was wearing a suit on the Metro. She said she thought I ‘just looked a bit like a vet’.